Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

If I could sit in on the Redskins meetings:

Absolutely no on Rivers.  Coming off 3-13 where we just drafted a QB in the 1st last year, it makes no sense for us.

No to amari Cooper.  He will be overpaid, and if we add a midround wr to our 3 rookies from last year, let's roll with that for 2020.

I like the idea of signing Conklin and cutting Moses.  We need to plan our transition strategy away from Moses, and that would be a nice upgrade.

Beg Penn to come back and be starter at LT for one more year as we trade TW.  We need a competent LT for DH s development in 2020, a rookie isn't going to cut it.

I'd prefer to tag and trade scherff, roll with Wes Martin.  Having the highest paid interior lineman isn't an attractive option to me.

Bring back flowers at 7 mil per.

Definitely yes to FS Tre Boston, great complement to LC and will probably be a value contract.

Be smart with Hooper, bradberry, byron Jones, etc. They could all definitely help this team in areas of need, but they will all get sizeable contracts.  Don't overpay.  I know we have cap room overall, but if we overpay for a cb in addition to Collins contract, and the new cb underperforms, then we are probably stuck with that secondary for a few years, as bringing in another high priced free agent to upgrade won't really be an option with those 2 contracts on the books.

Side note - to me, the most interesting position group this offseason is LB, bc I have no idea how they will approach it.  My guess would be affordable guys like aj Klein that buys them a season to see what they have in house, but it will be interesting to see where everyone fits in 4-3.  

FAs are always overpriced. Always.

Our skill position players are all on rookie deals for a few years. That's awesome and allows us to "overspend" on FAs.

Ideally, when the FA contracts we sign this year are getting too expensive or expiring, our guys on rookie deals will be ready to resign. Saving money long term.

Hopefully by that time, we will have drafted new core players.

This is the cycle of winning teams. Hopefully this is the last time we need to bring in several top end FAs for a very long time. I think Smith, Turner, JDR and Rivera will be able to build a long time contender and we won't have to compete in the FA pool anymore. That's culture change.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not advocating for taking Tua at 2. But curious to see what that means for FA. Could we trade Trent, cut Moses, and go hard for Conklin? I’d advocate for that just to get the OL in a good spot post-TW but would be interesting tip of the hand too if they were actually doing that to protect Tua’s blindside 

I think I’m still the only person in the world who would try Martin at RG and Scherff at RT :806:

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

sadly 15mil is the likely price, which in isolation seems 15/20% over what I’d want to pay. That said, if you structure the contract in a way that means you can easily get out after year 3 then I’d strongly consider that. Will be interesting to see if Rivera thinks that is value.

Daryl Worley is still my outside bet. Younger and will come at a third of the price.

Hey guys ... just an FYI reminder on these contract numbers. $15m a year in 2020-2023 terms is way different than what we are probably conditioned to think. Especially when the cap is rumored to be rising to $230-240 million in 2021. Thats ... insane. 

that’s going to mean a “big” contract is $20-22m a year for non QB position. Mid tier contracts of $12-15 million. Considering the cap was $170m just a few years ago you’re talking about an additional $70m for salaries 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@HTTRDynasty following that now. Funny he was saying it as I was typing it here. He’s making great points. 

makes me wonder if Trent asking for $20m is all that asinine if that’s just gonna be 7% of our 2021 team cap. 

With higher caps we are just gonna have to adjust our mindset on some of these deals. 

I know people are wary of resetting the market, myself included.  But we should remember the Chiefs reset the market at WR with Sammy Watkins and at FS with Tyrann Mathieu and were still able to win the SB.  The 49ers roster was also littered with non-homegrown players making top money at their respective positions.

As long as you identify the right players for your system, FA can be a great team-building resource. 

59 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Hey guys ... just an FYI reminder on these contract numbers. $15m a year in 2020-2023 terms is way different than what we are probably conditioned to think. Especially when the cap is rumored to be rising to $230-240 million in 2021. Thats ... insane. 

that’s going to mean a “big” contract is $20-22m a year for non QB position. Mid tier contracts of $12-15 million. Considering the cap was $170m just a few years ago you’re talking about an additional $70m for salaries 

you still need to make sure the player is worth the contract you are giving him, even after adding context to the salary cap.

I think Bradberry is worthy of a 4 year 50mil deal, looks like he will command say 4years 60mil. So, is Bradberry an out an out tier one CB who should be setting the market? Or is he just a very good CB who fits an area of need for us?

At age 26, turning 27 at the start of the season, you don’t want to commit anything past say 3 years. So I’d like 37mil over 3 years, but it likely cost 3/45. Not massively different in the end I guess.

As for Trent, if he was age 26/27 with a clear track record then he’d have a right to set the market. That ship has sailed.

Getting a new CBA in before free agency would be very influential. Hopefully it gets done.

Ironically, with an impending salary cap boom, it would be nice to have a load of high value draft capital this year to add 3 or 4 quality players on rookie contracts. Another. Intriguing factor to the stick or twist dilemma at #2 in the draft.

edit- and without a new CBA we could be looking at a lot of one year deals.

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

We must stay away from this greedy dude who wants to get paid like a top corner while he is not even in the top 10

I wouldn’t say we need to keep away from him....however, I did make this point to a degree earlier about his value/cost/worth etc. 

10 hours ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

https://twitter.com/jfowlerespn/status/1233747373429534720?s=21

Surely Bradberry can’t be commanding that kind of money?

Byron Jones on the other hand ...

What if the focus of free agency was to sign both Bradbury and Byron Jones with the draft focusing on Chase Young and then all offense? That would do wonders for both sides of the ball.

14 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

What if the focus of free agency was to sign both Bradbury and Byron Jones with the draft focusing on Chase Young and then all offense? That would do wonders for both sides of the ball.

Add in Hooper aaaand if Tenn doesnt resign Henry I think Henry/Guice combo would be amazing. I'd be okay with those 4 free agents and the draft spent on wr, OL, TE, LB, FS and backup QB. 

1 hour ago, HoggLife said:

Add in Hooper aaaand if Tenn doesnt resign Henry I think Henry/Guice combo would be amazing. I'd be okay with those 4 free agents and the draft spent on wr, OL, TE, LB, FS and backup QB. 

Conklin in place of Henry and I'm with you. I get why you like Henry but just not at that money and usage for me.

Archived