Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

Yeah, I am a little confused about why Olsen wanted to sign with the Bears or that they would be pursuing a TE in FA at all. They have at least 2 competent TE's already in my opinion and Trubisky is not a QB I'd be eager to play with either to your point. I'm hoping we are going after Hooper hard. It makes a ton of sense to me and he would be a great fit.

Olsen, because he's from there and wanted to be in broadcasting.

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We can definitely outbid the Bears and Haskins > Trubisky. 

Let me start by saying this:

I think you're right that Haskins > Trubisky. But...

(Stats projected to a full season)

Player A Rookie Year: 

5-11, 212/361 (59%), 2427 yards, 12TD/12INT, 52 sacks taken, 11 fumbles

Player B Rookie Year:

5-11, 261/440 (59%), 2924 yards, 9TD/9INT, 41 sacks taken, 13 fumbles

They look pretty similar...

I didn't include rushing here, which doesn't help Haskins.

Now, the counter point to all this? The Bears were a bit less of a dumpster fire.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Let me start by saying this:

I think you're right that Haskins > Trubisky. But...

(Stats projected to a full season)

Player A Rookie Year: 

5-11, 212/361 (59%), 2427 yards, 12TD/12INT, 52 sacks taken, 11 fumbles

Player B Rookie Year:

5-11, 261/440 (59%), 2924 yards, 9TD/9INT, 41 sacks taken, 13 fumbles

They look pretty similar...

I didn't include rushing here, which doesn't help Haskins.

Now, the counter point to all this? The Bears were a bit less of a dumpster fire.

Stats don't tell the story at all in this. Haskins > Trubinsky all day long. Especially since in the last few weeks Haskins looked better than Mitch did all of his second year.

And we look much better to FAs this year than we have in a very long time. Not to mention having the chance to be TE1 in a TE heavy Turner offense with no proven other TE on the roster? Yeah, us over bears.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stats don't tell the story at all in this. Haskins > Trubinsky all day long. Especially since in the last few weeks Haskins looked better than Mitch did all of his second year.

And we look much better to FAs this year than we have in a very long time. Not to mention having the chance to be TE1 in a TE heavy Turner offense with no proven other TE on the roster? Yeah, us over bears.

Stats never tell the whole story. But they tell part of it. I think Trubisky had a better rookie year all things considered. Of course, he was supported by the franchise as the quarterback. That absolutely matters. But, all in all, they looked identical.

But as I said to start my post, I think I agree that Haskins > Trubisky. I don't think anyone can say that definitively at this point, though. 

Your point about TEs makes sense. I'm just not sure there's a TE there we should be pining for. 

Where’s Cooley at with Henry and Hooper? Any tidbits around of him talking about these two?

My gut response is not wanting to pay Hooper big money from my 7min of watching his highlights and his athletic combine numbers being overall average, but obviously these variables often can represent very little with some guys. 

Im more of Hunter Henry supporter when doing novice comparison. I like his size and twitch in and out breaks. 

Something I am curious about is who is a better blocker Henry or Hooper?  One of the things I really liked for example was how the Vikings would sometimes take Rudolph and put him on the left side of the line to help out the O line. He’s a great receiver and he’s also a great blocker and I just wonder who’s the best bang for your buck TE out of the two? 

Henry is a far better blocker than Hooper could ever hope to be. Hooper is a garbage time stat stuffer. Diego suffered from offensive confusion and balance issues. 

1/3 of the offense tried to run through Gordon when he returned even though Ekeler was the far better back. 

Another 1/3 ran the offense through Keenan Allen, which had great success. But then Henry returned... so the team changed its offense to run through him. He was phenomenal upon return, but the philosophy suffered greatly from the confusion of who to run through. 

They just had poor balance all year long. 

I have real concerns about throwing tons of free agent dollars at a TE simply based on how banged up TE's seem to get. Look at our own Jordan Reed for example. Then look at Gronk, Hunter Henry, Olsen this past season and the TE carousel in Seattle. TE's get injured a LOT. Even Vernon Davis here.....They also seem to have short life spans, at least healthy ones. Jimmy Graham went from stud to can't stay healthy very quickly. Tyler Eifert in Cincy...Njoku got knocked out in Cleveland....I just don't think there are many TE's who make it through a season healthy because of the hits they take. If I were a franchise I would choose wisely when looking at free agent TE's cause chances are your backup will be just as important. There just aren't many Kittles, Kelce's and Ertz's out there....and Ertz got dinged up good last year at the end for the Eagles too. 

Juwan Johnson, Okwuguy, Trautman, Kmet, Claypool* (I’d take him and try to use him at Y, X, Z, H, F), Bryant... so many options. Even beyond the 3rd I think. 

That and my completely baseless belief that Hentges will develop to be good (yes. I acknowledge it’s all gut and no show, so if any of you don’t agree... I understand!)

I just can’t get behind paying Hooper what he is likely to fetch.

Just now, KDawg said:

I’d rather sign @Skinsinparadise and his 4.4 speed than sign Hooper.

4.4 speed 25 years ago.  I suspect I am about 4.5 now.  But yeah I was timed 4.4 at the SB Experience a month ago but its hard for me to believe it.   😀  I also think I'd be an atrocious TE but at least I'd be a willing blocker.   😀

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Juwan Johnson, Okwuguy, Trautman, Kmet, Claypool* (I’d take him and try to use him at Y, X, Z, H, F), Bryant... so many options. Even beyond the 3rd I think. 

That and my completely baseless belief that Hentges will develop to be good (yes. I acknowledge it’s all gut and no show, so if any of you don’t agree... I understand!)

I just can’t get behind paying Hooper what he is likely to fetch.

I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking as well.

The issue for me is, which free agents out there ARE worth it for us to reset the market to sign?  Cory Littleton, Byron Jones, Anthony Harris?  I'm not sure any of those guys are worth resetting the market for.  So then it might be best to just sign a few second tier guys this year and roll largely with what we have and what we can get in the draft.  But then, looking ahead to 2021, the free agency class looks extremely thin and I'm not sure if we'd want to be all that active anyway considering we'd be ruining the opportunity to gain 3 2022 3rd round comp picks with Trent, Scherrf and Dunbar all hitting FA.  So do we just roll a ton of cap space over two years in a row and shoot for 2022 as the first year to be extremely aggressive in FA?  That may be too passive for my liking.

How should we attack this FA period with the next 3 years in mind?  It's a fascinating thing to contemplate.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We can definitely outbid the Bears and Haskins > Trubisky. 

Tribs will not be starting for the Bears.  Could be Rivers or Bridgewater, and if Mr. Gisele Bunchin hits FA, I wouldn’t be shocked if the bears pushed all their chips in, Tom went to Michigan.  Midwest kinda vibes...

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

4.4 speed 25 years ago.  I suspect I am about 4.5 now.  But yeah I was timed 4.4 at the SB Experience a month ago but its hard for me to believe it.   😀  I also think I'd be an atrocious TE but at least I'd be a willing blocker.   😀

Willing I’m

sure.  However my guess is...

B3DFD637-5DB1-407C-B2B0-45105AC66B67.jpeg.c7b9f574ccf207674ac241e62061f855.jpeg

Also reminds me of a line from Zoro.  Don Diego tells his protege “You will fight bravely and die quickly.”

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That would be a 20% jump.  That's crazy.  If that's the case, you want to be active in Free Agency now, lock guys into deals a year before the Cap blows up.

Kirk and reps have been planning for this day for years ;) 

Archived