Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Rieff would be an excellent signing. He’s not bad at all, just average and dependably on the field. We need that so bad and have some money to burn. 

I know some will say “why, roll it all over to next year’s cap, we aren’t winning it all anyways”.

But to me there is a different level of value in protecting your young QB and providing him security and weapons so that he can grow without being stunted by the situation he’s in. That supersedes whether you’re in a “window” to actually win or not, if you’re thinking long term. Because the long term outlook of this roster improves dramatically if Haskins gets comfortable and develops into a real franchise guy. And improving his OL and surrounding weapons is how you make that easier on him, even if we expect to lose a lot. 

If the coaches aren't sold at what they are seeing, then we can definitely get him. We have a ton of cash to spend.

It also hurts the Eagles.

It's a strange situation. If he goes to the birds, it's not like we're worried about it, but I'd still like to get him on our team.

I'm willing to bet we are going to be all over Leonard Fournette.  I cannot believe he was just released by the Jags.  

We have a crowded backfield but only Peterson offers anything consistent.  

Fournette, Peterson, Gibson, McKissic.  I think Love might get his walking papers or will end up on the PUP list.  

Fournette is an every down back and in an ideal world I would love to see Peterson groom him to be a better pro and we could end up with Thunder and Lightning with Gibson and Fournette in 2021.

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Rieff would be an excellent signing. He’s not bad at all, just average and dependably on the field. We need that so bad and have some money to burn. 

I know some will say “why, roll it all over to next year’s cap, we aren’t winning it all anyways”.

But to me there is a different level of value in protecting your young QB and providing him security and weapons so that he can grow without being stunted by the situation he’s in. That supersedes whether you’re in a “window” to actually win or not, if you’re thinking long term. Because the long term outlook of this roster improves dramatically if Haskins gets comfortable and develops into a real franchise guy. And improving his OL and surrounding weapons is how you make that easier on him, even if we expect to lose a lot. 

I wonder if there is a way to frontload a short term contract for him. I wouldn’t mind him for 2-3 years as Charles/some other LT develops. If they do develop, move Reiff to the right side

Another creative move to preempt the Eagles would be to trade Lucas + a conditional 7th for Reiff. The nice thing with a trade is we would get him at just his base salaries + workout bonuses, which are $11M this year and $12M in 2021. That's a fair price for an average starting LT in this league. Losing Reiff, the Vikings would obviously need a swing tackle backup. We would eat the $1M in guarantees on Lucas's contract, making him pretty damn cheap for the Vikings

I'm not sure why people are questioning whether to claim fournette or see if he clears waivers and try to sign him.

In my opinion if you're interested it seems like a no brainer to me.

If we want him we're almost guaranteed to get him being second in line on waiver rights and Cincinnati not needing him plus you get his rookie contract which gives you the opportunity to use his option year if you choose and you avoid a bidding war with other potential suitors.

Is 4 million really a lot for a back that had over 1100 yards rushing and another 550 receiving?

Seems like pretty fair market value to me.

You still have to figure out why Jacksonville didn't want him anymore, but there's a lot of strange decisions being made there right now and combine that with a new offense you can easily see how one man's trash could be another man's treasure. 

I think he'll get claimed and I wouldn't be shocked if it was us. 

24 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm not sure why people are questioning whether to claim fournette or see if he clears waivers and try to sign him.

If we want him we're almost guaranteed to get him being second in line on waiver rights and Cincinnati not needing him plus you get his rookie contract which gives you the opportunity to use his option year if you choose and you avoid a bidding war with other potential suitors.

Is 4 million really a lot for a back that had over 1100 yards rushing and another 550 receiving?

You still have to figure out why Jacksonville didn't want him anymore, but there's a lot of strange decisions being made there right now and combine that with a new offense you can easily see how one man's trash could be another man's treasure. 

I really hope it is us.  I would be highly disappointed if we pass on Fournette.

AP likely won't be back next year with him in his final year.  Antonio Gibson seems exciting but he hasn't played a snap in the NFL yet.  I honestly think if AP gets hurt then we are really really screwed at RB.  We would also be kicking ourselves if AP gets hurt.  Too risky to pass on Fournette IMO.

Leonard Forgette?  I kinda remember the hype.  Other than OL, I like this team as it is at this point.  We're developing chemistry.  We're evaluating talent.  We're forging the furnace for the final grand slam so we can leave a trail of destruction that's second to none. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Signing Fournette means Barber, AP and Love get cut

Last year we kept 4 RB's and I would love to see Fournette, AP, Gibson, and McKissic........Bryce will either be our kick returner and be the 5th RB or he will start the season on PUP.  

Big concern is thinking about our backfield if Peterson gets hurt....ouch.  I would hate to rely on an inexperienced Gibson and two very non physical players trying to pick up blitzes.

7 hours ago, redskinss said:

I suppose this is all moot now with Fournette going unclaimed, but the big issue with anyone claiming him is/was salary. You claim him and you pay him over $4 million. No one in the league thinks he worth that. Now anyone can sign him for the league minimum if Fournette is willing. Certainly he'll sign for far less than $4 million. I'd also point out that the 5th year option is long gone. Jacksonville declined the fifth-year team option back in May (which was a ridiculous $10,189,000) and that can't be undone. Fournette also has a lengthy injury history and is generally viewed as a malcontent. All those reasons help explain Fournette's low value

Personally, I'd much prefer the reliability of AP over Fournette.

And I'd rather not have both of them, either.

We have AP for the present, who we can count on. And we have Gibson and Love for the future. Yes, they're technically unproven, but there's no reason to just give up on Love at this point.  The only RB that I would be ok with parting with, would be Barber.

Archived