Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Like I said earlier, it's not a singular incident by itself, it's the accumulating culmination of incidents.

Keep in mind, for one thing, we do not have a 2nd rounder.

There will be 1st round quality players available in the 2nd round that we desperately need, with all of our holes

After the 2nd round, the talent dropoff is considerable.

If we somehow obtain a 2nd rounder this year, I may change my tune.

Lots of things could happen yet before the draft including trading Trent Williams fo say a 3rd plus change. Maybe Dunbar but I think we end up holding onto him. That would (potentially) give us 2 3rd round picks plus 2 4th round picks (we have a comp pick in the 4th). You can always move around if there is someone you really want.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

The price is my big issue with it.  We traded a 6th for a 7th to land Keenum and even got Denver to swallow half of his salary.  Carolina just signed a QB, they had a glut of QBs, yet they pull a 5th from us?  

not to mention, Calais Campbell went to Bmore for a lower 5th..... Redskins always get fleeced

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But I'm guessing it was done to throw a bone to Scott Turner in case he had trouble teaching Haskins the system.

I think it's absolutely about familiarity with the system. Bear in mind that its highly likely there will be no OTAs this year - that's going to make having a backup who knows the system important as Haskins will need all the reps he can get. I have been clear all along that I thought they would commit to Haskins as the starter this year and were not bring in a vet who was really competing with him - this is the kind of move I expected.

I agree a 5th is steep mind you.

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

not to mention, Calais Campbell went to Bmore for a lower 5th..... Redskins always get fleeced

Right and De'Andre Hopkins went for a fourth which just goes to show you how wonky trade values are across the board.

People say we'll be lucky to get a second for Trent Williams. I still contend he's worth a first plus based on skill and production. Mind up, I think Quinton Dunbar is worth a sixth, but what do I know?

1 hour ago, dswerdlw said:

I was wondering about him. Like most people, I think we have fine depth on the interior line, but we're one injury away from needing someone. Brantley fits into the rotation very well. No terms of the deal have been released, but I can't imagine we're spending a lot.

Assuming the will have Sweat and Chase starting on the ends their interior line consisted of Payne, Allen, Matt I and Settle. I'm not sure you will find a deeper group throughout the entire league so Brantley is just cheap insurance I assume. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The price is my big issue with it.  We traded a 6th for a 7th (1 year later no less) to land Keenum and even got Denver to swallow half of his salary.  Carolina just signed a QB, they had a glut of QBs, yet they pull a 5th from us?    

Other teams wanted him as well, maybe...plus he is probably more valuable to us than to other teams since he knows the coaches and the system and has produced within it before and can aid in helping Haskins grasp it quicker. We wait to see if he's released and no guarantee he comes here, and then we're still in need of another QB (or even two).

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The price is my big issue with it.  We traded a 6th for a 7th (1 year later no less) to land Keenum and even got Denver to swallow half of his salary.  Carolina just signed a QB, they had a glut of QBs, yet they pull a 5th from us?    

The price doesn't bother me one bit.

At one point they thought he could replace Cam Newton. He has experience playing in the league at a relatively high level. He won't make your presumed starter uncomfortable. And he is affordable. 

Lemme ask you, if they used the 5th rounder on a QB with no NFL experience, would you be okay with it?

5 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

Great points.

I don't know why some folks don't get it. This is a good addition. It is a guy who has shown he can play. He knows the system. Plus the team needs depth.

And he is better than anyone they could've drafted this year unless they draft the top 4 QBs.

I am glad we have departed from the, "we are a few pieces away" mantra in signing free agents.

We need a total 180-degree turn in philosophy and approach. Sign players who might not be known but are known when you watch game tape. 

Overpaying for free agents just to get butts on the seat is only good for opening day. 

YOU NEED DEPTH. 

Ironically, we just overpaid for a backup QB.

Which is why a lot of us are against this move. 

Because we were good with the way it was going this offseason. Filling depth and building a base.

I'm not sure this fits under the same umbrella when you factor in a 5th rounder for a guy that was likely to be released at some point. 

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Other teams wanted him as well, maybe...plus he is probably more valuable to us than to other teams since he knows the coaches and the system and has produced within it before and can aid in helping Haskins grasp it quicker. We wait to see if he's released and no guarantee he comes here, and then we're still in need of another QB (or even two).

This point isn't lost on me. And it's a good one. It's still not an easy pill to swallow. 

Allen himself isn't my issue. I'll reiterate that. I think we fleeced ourselves. But, I don't know what happened behind the scenes. 

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Makes you wonder if Kyle Allen is actually being brought here to start.... though I doubt Turner or Rivera would come right out and say it. 

If they wanted a QB to start there is another QB in Carolina who may well be released before too long.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ironically, we just overpaid for a backup QB.

Which is why a lot of us are against this move. 

Because we were good with the way it was going this offseason. Filling depth and building a base.

I'm not sure this fits under the same umbrella when you factor in a 5th rounder for a guy that was likely to be released at some point. 

Assuming you were bidding against yourself.

3 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

In the trade you need to value in the contract. A backup QB is pretty expensive, this one is still cheap. So it's a good complementary deal to Alex Smith. 2 rookie QB deals + Alex 20 million? 

The contract is a good point. Allen is under contract this year for the cost of $675K.

Just now, MartinC said:

If they wanted a QB to start there is another QB in Carolina who may well be released before too long.

Cam would require being the named starter most likely and who knows if he's healed yet. (kinda hard to get docs to check his progress right now)

Kyle Allen is young, has started, and may very well cause a controversy between him and Haskins. Someone go check Haskins twitter to see if he posted two eyes yet.... LOL

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

This point isn't lost on me. And it's a good one. It's still not an easy pill to swallow. 

Allen himself isn't my issue. I'll reiterate that. I think we fleeced ourselves. But, I don't know what happened behind the scenes. 

I agree that I was hoping (and even assumed) we had given up a 6th or 7th or maybe a low rounder in the 2021 draft...was not happy it was a 5th.

But also thought about it as if we had just drafted Kyle Allen with our 5th rounder lol...There would still be those who felt he could have still been available in the 6th or 7th round (reasonable take) or even as a UDFA, so we paid too much to draft him. Fair enough. But no other QB in the 6th or 7th round will come with 2 years of built-in NFL experience and familiarity with the offensive scheme, so I would also get drafting him higher than expected. Plus if he's a UDFA there's no guarantee he agrees to sign here. I mean, I don't like the 5th but it's not pissing me off, either lol...(not saying it's pissing you off, by the way).

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Lots of things could happen yet before the draft including trading Trent Williams fo say a 3rd plus change. Maybe Dunbar but I think we end up holding onto him. That would (potentially) give us 2 3rd round picks plus 2 4th round picks (we have a comp pick in the 4th). You can always move around if there is someone you really want. 

The value you're talking about getting in return for Trent twists the knife on what we paid to get Kyle Allen.  We're going to end up selling Trent for bottom dollar while buying very high on Kyle Allen.  Looking at Allen's record, he is a turnover machine who ended up having a really bad year last year--49.7 grade from PFF which put him at the bottom of the NFL among starters.  He should not have cost very much in trade at all.  Day three same round positioning or a seventh at the most.

This is a fleecing that really feels like it happened because an inexperienced OC had to get his guy.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Cam would require being the named starter most likely and who knows if he's healed yet. (kinda hard to get docs to check his progress right now)

Kyle Allen is young, has started, and may very well cause a controversy between him and Haskins. Someone go check Haskins twitter to see if he posted two eyes yet.... LOL

Bringing Kyle Allen is exactly the kind of move Haskins would be on board with I would think. Someone he can lean on re the system but who is not challenging his role or need for the majority of snaps.

And you are right about Cam - but that was my point as well. If you decide you need someone to come in and start at QB you sign a starter, not a backup.

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I get the logic behind it.  I just don't agree with it.   I've defended just about every FA move they made.  I think it's OK for me to dissent on something.  😀

For me.  I don't care if other teams wanted him.   I wouldn't lose sleep if some other team took him. 

That was the same rationale Joe Gibbs gave for getting Mark Brunell and giving up a third before he was allegedly going to be released.   I understand the logic but I am just not big into giving up picks for players especially if they are older veterans or just backups. 

As Kyle Smith said this is a really good draft.  I've not heard him say that the same way about prior drafts.   I've done a zillion draft simulations and with the 2nd pick in the 5th round, I often find a player that I and many draft geeks believe is potentially a really good player.    

Some people here were jazzed when we drafted Tim Settle in the 5th, or Holcomb in the 5th or Kelvin Harmon in the 6th, etc.  The odds that a player of that caliber lands with the 2nd pick in the 5th is very good IMO.   

Archived