Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Not sure I really get the idea that there would be some mad flock of free agents to Tampa Bay/Brady as Adam Schefter and others have claimed. It's not like New England was just vacuuming up free agents left and right when Brady was there. Sure they signed some guys, but it wasn't like every vet out there inked with the Pats. Not to mention, Tier A players rarely make it to free agency. The few that did already signed, along with most Tier B players. So who is Tampa going to get? Not to mention there's a good chance Brady is no longer Brady at this point. His play really dipped last year and now we expect a 43 yard QB to turn Tampa into instant contenders? There's a reason the Pats let him walk. He's not that elite guy anymore. If you're ring chasing, there seem to be better options out there.

1 hour ago, 09 said:

I struggle with the concept/narrative that Haskins is not motivated enough.  Just doesn't make sense.

What doesn't make sense about it?  Is it the "he didn't get this far not being motivated" argument?  Or the videos of him working out show he's self motivated to be as good as he can be?  

I can't speak for anybody else, but the whole not preparing properly until he was the starter stuff really bothered me.  Because even then, it took some weeks of falling on his face to really get it. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.  That made me wonder how self motivated he was.  He seems to have done things to alleviate that concern as time has gone on, but I get if it hasnt totally gone away for some people.

Just now, carex said:

the Redskins do need more QBs, could they be waiting till post draft to see if teams release anyone after the draft?

That'll be some ultra-slim pickings. Even semi-decent QBs don't get outright released. You really need someone that is just really overpaid. And if that is the case, they'd be cut now (like Joe Flacco). 

Just now, Jericho said:

Not sure I really get the idea that there would be some mad flock of free agents to Tampa Bay/Brady as Adam Schefter and others have claimed. It's not like New England was just vacuuming up free agents left and right when Brady was there. Sure they signed some guys, but it wasn't like every vet out there inked with the Pats. Not to mention, Tier A players rarely make it to free agency. The few that did already signed, along with most Tier B players. So who is Tampa going to get? Not to mention there's a good chance Brady is no longer Brady at this point. His play really dipped last year and now we expect a 43 yard QB to turn Tampa into instant contenders? There's a reason the Pats let him walk. He's not that elite guy anymore. If you're ring chasing, there seem to be better options out there.

Tampa's offensive talent is among the best in the league. 

Ronald Jones is a bit of a question mark, but solid. Evans + Godwin is fantastic. Great C/G combo. Need a LT and they're in good shape there.

OJ Howard at the TE spot.

Jameis was productive in part due to his physical abilities, but also because of the guys he had around him to help him be that successful. He was a failure in a sense, in large part, because of his limitations as a QB. 

Plus, Bruce Arians.

The adding of Brady signals a team that could win now, and win fast, if Brady is 75% of his old self. That's the gamble. 

23 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Perriman doesn't thrill me. We had him for five days in 2018. New coaches, I know, but I still think he's more bust than boom. I'm okay with Logan Thomas though. If the team wants to live dangerously, he can be both the third string TE and backup QB.

This is true but Perriman reminds of how some receivers need a few years to develop. He was lights out at the end of last year. He’s 6’2 and has burner speed. 

I for one am fairly excited about McKissic and Thomas. Let’s face it we couldn’t count on CT and JD has the potential to be a dynamic skill player. Thomas could be our version of Darren Waller. Very tall TE with soft hands. Hearing that he played hoops is a good thing as that translates well. I don’t really care if he’s not the greatest blocker. You could say that about a lot of good TEs in the nfl minus Gronk and Kittle. 

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

What doesn't make sense about it?  Is it the "he didn't get this far not being motivated" argument?  Or the videos of him working out show he's self motivated to be as good as he can be?  

I can't speak for anybody else, but the whole not preparing properly until he was the starter stuff really bothered me.  Because even then, it took some weeks of falling on his face to really get it. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.  That made me wonder how self motivated he was.  He seems to have done things to alleviate that concern as time has gone on, but I get if it hasnt totally gone away for some people.

Absolutely agree.

The "narrative" makes sense because its accurate. Haskins didn't care until he was the guy. Now, he WAS in a **** situation. But even then, as a pro, you have to do your best. He wasn't ready. He wasn't mature enough to handle it. And he didn't do himself any favors. Meanwhile, the team wasn't, either, necessarily.

That spoke volumes to me as well. 

23 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Curious to see what a fanspeak Matt Miller Board draft looked like without adding any picks (assuming we trade TW after the draft, or let him stick around for a final year):

1.2: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Adam Trautman, TE Dayton

4.2: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT Auburn

4.36: KJ Hill, WR Ohio State

5.2: Troy Pride, Jr. CB Notre Dame

7.2: Matt Womack, OT Alabama

7.15: Binjimen Victor, WR Ohio State

Even if we just added a vet QB the rest of the way, this would be a draft that would make me feel pretty good with the state of our roster in the long-run.

Example of how the rest of Free Agency could change this ... if we were to sign Eric Ebron to a 3-4 year deal, I could see us going TE with 4th or 5th as opposed to a 3rd.

Prince Tega Wanogho is a no go for me. He has poor balance, doesn't maintain blocks and doesn't use his body as a shield. Athletic, but awkward. I would stay away from him. I think he's a project that will last enough time that you'll use most of his rookie window on "getting him ready" and he may still not get it. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Absolutely agree.

The "narrative" makes sense because its accurate. Haskins didn't care until he was the guy. Now, he WAS in a **** situation. But even then, as a pro, you have to do your best. He wasn't ready. He wasn't mature enough to handle it. And he didn't do himself any favors. Meanwhile, the team wasn't, either, necessarily.

he was the third string quarterback, announcers harp on how even backups don't get time with the starters, how was he supposed to do anything beyond study the playbook as a third string QB

1 minute ago, carex said:

he was the third string quarterback, announcers harp on how even backups don't get time with the starters, how was he supposed to do anything beyond study the playbook as a third string QB

Exactly. 

And he clearly wasn't watching film and preparing himself as the starter. As all backup quarterbacks should be. But especially first round drafted quarterbacks that are being touted as a future franchise quarterback.

Are third string QBs supposed to just sit back and throw the ball during practice because they're third string? I don't get your gripe with my statement.

Absolutely agree.

Well from draft day his HC in Gruden acted like he wasn't wanted (like Scherff in his comment to media about Scot's pick) and never gave him any reps or attention or a shot.  After the way Haskins left college on top and having his ass kissed by all, to be totally ignored is a kick in the chongs.  So he reacted like a kid.  Not everyone is born like DG or Rice in their ethic but they came from small schools so had to be the best.

Haskins once given the shot realized he needed much more work so started and had a glimpse of success possible for him.  With Ron coming in and pushing him in the media I think if he buys in he will grown leaps and bounds this year ESPECIALLY with a guru like Zampese and Turner to fit an offense to him.  Jay seemed to love his own offense and made others adjust though KOC sure adjusted to help Haskins and it seemed to work.  IMO

8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

That'll be some ultra-slim pickings. Even semi-decent QBs don't get outright released. You really need someone that is just really overpaid. And if that is the case, they'd be cut now (like Joe Flacco). 

You say that this year with Brady, Phillps, and everyone else who's been on the market?

Just now, KDawg said:

Exactly. 

And he clearly wasn't watching film and preparing himself as the starter. As all backup quarterbacks should be. But especially first round drafted quarterbacks that are being touted as a future franchise quarterback.

how do you know that?  Even if he was watching film he'd have had no opportunity to get into any rhythm with the offensive players

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

You say that this year with Brady, Phillps, and everyone else who's been on the market?

He was talking about waiting for post-draft cuts to sign a QB. When the's the last time any decent QB was cut post draft?

4 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Well from draft day his HC in Gruden acted like he wasn't wanted (like Scherff in his comment to media about Scot's pick) and never gave him any reps or attention or a shot.  After the way Haskins left college on top and having his ass kissed by all, to be totally ignored is a kick in the chongs.  So he reacted like a kid.  Not everyone is born like DG or Rice in their ethic but they came from small schools so had to be the best.

Haskins once given the shot realized he needed much more work so started and had a glimpse of success possible for him.  With Ron coming in and pushing him in the media I think if he buys in he will grown leaps and bounds this year ESPECIALLY with a guru like Zampese and Turner to fit an offense to him.  Jay seemed to love his own offense and made others adjust though KOC sure adjusted to help Haskins and it seemed to work.  IMO

If you were Jay Gruden and you had a raw rookie QB that showed he needed a ton of work, would you play him knowing you had to win or be fired?

People keep trying to blame Gruden for this, but it's on the FO. Not him. Gruden should have been fired and a new head coach put in charge of his development. OR they don't draft him.

Haskins got screwed on that front.

Doesn't mean that he has an excuse not to be prepared. 

If you follow my post history, I have things I absolutely have NOT liked about Haskins. A few too many for my tastes. But there are things that I do find reasonably encouraging. 

I just don't think he's a guy that does his best work unless he's told he's the guy.

And, if that's the case, these rumors aren't going to help the dude. Commit to him or don't. But the team really needs to pick one. 

2 minutes ago, carex said:

how do you know that?  Even if he was watching film he'd have had no opportunity to get into any rhythm with the offensive players

How do you know he was?

Reports indicate he didn't put the effort in. And that's all we have to work with. You don't believe the reports. I tend to think there was too much smoke.

Regardless, I am hoping the team gives him a shot now as the other options aren't as long term positive for this franchise than Haskins panning on. So, here's to hoping that whether he was... or wasn't... watching film last year... that he puts it together this year.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If you were Jay Gruden and you had a raw rookie QB that showed he needed a ton of work, would you play him knowing you had to win or be fired?

People keep trying to blame Gruden for this, but it's on the FO. Not him. Gruden should have been fired and a new head coach put in charge of his development. OR they don't draft him.

Haskins got screwed on that front.

Doesn't mean that he has an excuse not to be prepared. 

I just don't think he's a guy that does his best work unless he's told he's the guy.

Regardless, I am hoping the team gives him a shot now as the other options aren't as long term positive for this franchise than Haskins panning on. So, here's to hoping that whether he was... or wasn't... watching film last year... that he puts it together this year.

I agree, fully commit now or take Tua.  LOL

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think things are moving slowly on Anderson, Perriman, and Sanders because of the large WR prospect class in this draft.  Seems like they either need to lower their demands somewhat or wait until after the draft to see what teams may have missed out on WR in the draft.

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Tampa's offensive talent is among the best in the league. 

Ronald Jones is a bit of a question mark, but solid. Evans + Godwin is fantastic. Great C/G combo. Need a LT and they're in good shape there.

OJ Howard at the TE spot.

Jameis was productive in part due to his physical abilities, but also because of the guys he had around him to help him be that successful. He was a failure in a sense, in large part, because of his limitations as a QB. 

Plus, Bruce Arians.

The adding of Brady signals a team that could win now, and win fast, if Brady is 75% of his old self. That's the gamble. 

the only real snag i see with Brady is that Jameis has a better arm at this point, and I dont think Brady has the arm to make a lot of the throws that Jameis converted on.  He failed to convert on a ton as well... but they are not going to be able to run 'the same' offense they ran last year. 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

the only real snag i see with Brady is that Jameis has a better arm at this point, and I dont think Brady has the arm to make a lot of the throws that Jameis converted on.  He failed to convert on a ton as well... but they are not going to be able to run 'the same' offense they ran last year. 

Agreed. But he also won't turn the ball over anywhere near as much as Jameis. Jameis scored, what, 36 points for the other team all by himself?

Agreed. But he also won't turn the ball over anywhere near as much as Jameis. Jameis scored, what, 36 points for the other team all by himself?

Absolutely not... which is where it's hard to figure out the balance.  TB lost like 7 games by 1 score or less, and Jameis accounted for 18 turnovers or something crazy, in those games.  Cut those turnovers in half and that's a 4 game swing most likely.. but his ability likely kept them in some games in spite of his deficiencies. 

14 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I think things are moving slowly on Anderson, Perriman, and Sanders because of the large WR prospect class in this draft.  Seems like they either need to lower their demands somewhat or wait until after the draft to see what teams may have missed out on WR in the draft.

I've heard they are character concerns about Anderson so that MIGHT be something to think about for teams.

Archived