Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

19 hours ago, wit33 said:

Hunter Henry is a beast. I like the idea of adding Henry, restructuring Jordan Reed and drafting a mid round developmental TE.  

I like Henry but his injury history concerns me some. 

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/chargers-have-a-lot-of-questions-to-answer-in-offseason/2238249/

Hunter Henry

It has been a rollercoaster ride for young tight end Hunter Henry. He was chosen in the second round in the 2016 draft. In his first two seasons he showed flashes of being able to take the mantle from future hall of fame tight end Antonio Gates. 

In 2017, he sustained a small kidney laceration in week 15 and missed the final two games. In 2018, he suffered a torn ACL in OTAs but was able to come back for the divisional round of the playoffs. In 2019 he missed four games due to a tibia fracture, but he came back week six. 

Henry showed that he wasn’t slowing down. He had 100 receiving yards and two touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers in his first game back from the injury.

“I have talked to Hunter,” explained Telesco. “He had a great season for us. He has a high ceiling. Excellent player for us. We got to figure out all of the finances, cap, performance, and see how everything fits. As you know a philosophy of ours is to re-sign our own when we can.”

What Henry showed in 2019 was that even though he was slowed down by the injury he finished strong. In the last 11 weeks of the season, he had 592 receiving yards and five touchdowns. He was a consistent target for Rivers.

It’ll be interesting to see how Telesco negotiates with Henry because of the injury history. The Arkansas product has improved in every aspect of his game. He said before the season started he wanted to improve his run blocking, which he felt he showed strides in.

“It’s out of my hands now,” Henry said. “I don’t know. We’ll see … I’ve really enjoyed it here. I enjoy this locker room. I enjoy these guys. I enjoy this team. Hopefully, I can continue to be a part of it going forward.”

I think it's likely that Boston and Bradberry end up on the team, and I am ok with both.

Norman I'd be willing to keep if he took a significant restructure.. maybe.

Other targets would be Henry, and Glasgow (G) from detroit. I'd poke around on Fuller, he did well here but depends on the $$.

Conklin is gonna demand too much money, and he's got issues in pass pro. If that's the case I'd rather roll with Moses for another year or hope for a decent mid round tackle.

Trent is definitely gone (if I were GM) I'd take a 2nd/3rd or a combo of both for him.. that 2nd rounder would be used on a T or G or WR depending on how the draft fell..

Hentges would stick, I'd have Sprinkle on the bubble. Hale showed more in the few games he played than Sprinkle has in the few years he's been here.

2 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I feel like Norman et. al. were "hamstrung" by a dysfunctional team that allowed a lot of jackassey to go on, with all the attendant finger pointing. There won't be those cracks to fall through this year. I am curious to see if Norman even gets the chance to play as he is able under Rivera & Co. I've got no time or inclination for reclamation projects but this year's camp is gonna be lightyears away from previous ones. There is some value to Norman in that he knows the Rivera way, the question is- does he still have the stones to bring it at that level?

Your right.  And I think Norman thinks your right too.  He was interviewed back in December and still thinks he is top notch, giving the impression that other factors were in play.  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28308702/redskins-josh-norman-benching-got-play-cards-dealt

I don't think we know what we have on this D to be honest.  So poorly coached, the soft coverages, piss poor pressure.  It seems to me that If your not playing to the strengths and maximizing skill sets, which lets face it, Manusky was really NOT good at that, sometimes this is the end result with certain players.

I think you do a restructuring with him on a prove it deal.   All I know his he fell off a cliff and it was too quick to say it is all age.  

I don't enough about the FA's from the Panthers but Tre Boston seems interesting.   

Here is our roster...

Generally speaking, especially with a new regime, I don’t look at free agents as guys we have to bring back. Familiarity doesn’t matter with complete and total change in the organization (but I don’t rule out a guy like Flowers returning, of course)

so this is what we have at the moment. We can quibble a little with positions (Anderson, for instance, no idea where to put him... slot corner not sure of the list of I’m not sure who they ares can play there, etc)

But this is the roster. If I missed someone that is on the roster (not a FA) please let me know.image.thumb.png.d5a15a27281403d581c522c22082a438.png

I just have a hard time giving Norman a pass. Being put out of position by scheme and responsibility is one thing. But guys were making plays on balls within his direct sphere of influence often the last two seasons, when he was targeted. Especially in the redzone. I have a hard time blaming that part of his decline on scheme. 

46 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I just have a hard time giving Norman a pass. Being put out of position by scheme and responsibility is one thing. But guys were making plays on balls within his direct sphere of influence often the last two seasons, when he was targeted. Especially in the redzone. I have a hard time blaming that part of his decline on scheme. 

Agreed. But it's tough to ignore all of the coverage issues, even without Norman, due to all of the confusion and a lack of communication.

I'd argue that the defense was in a much worse place than the offense at Gruden's time of firing. 

And likely the remainder of the season.

8 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

I like Hentges and if he is a better blocker than Sprinkle then great as we know already he is better in the passing game.

I would still like to go after Hooper over Henry and Ebron but we'll see. 

I’d try and swing a reasonable trade for either OJ Howard or David Njoku, who are both likely to be FA in 2021. Try and get them in for a year on their existing cheap deal and at a decent trade cost. Then draft someone in the mid rounds this year and see how we go.

I could also see a Panthers vet OL coming in...especially if we lose/move on from either Trent or Scherff.

I also in the minority I think on the trail of AJ Green. Pay him good money for three years just to dovetail in nicely with Terry Mc needing to be paid down the line.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d try and swing a reasonable trade for either OJ Howard or David Njoku, who are both likely to be FA in 2021. Try and get them in for a year on their existing cheap deal and at a decent trade cost. Then draft someone in the mid rounds this year and see how we go.

I could also see a Panthers vet OL coming in...especially if we lose/move on from either Trent or Scherff.

I also in the minority I think on the trail of AJ Green. Pay him good money for three years just to dovetail in nicely with Terry Mc needing to be paid down the line.

Wouldn't mind also a flyer on Jacob Hollister who is a RFA in Seattle.  If it would cost us only a 6th or something I would pay it or send them Montae.  Ha

NFL teams in the free-agent market for a safety this offseason should look no further than Minnesota's Anthony Harris.

After completing his fifth season with the Minnesota Vikings, Harris has developed into arguably the most productive safety in the NFL. He tied for the league lead with six interceptions in 2019 and allowed a passer rating of only 54.7 on throws into his coverage, ultimately ending the regular season with the highest coverage grade among qualifying safeties. In fact, Harris has earned a coverage grade of 94.3 over the last two seasons (including playoffs), the best mark among all safeties in that span.

Over the last two seasons, Harris has displayed an impressive ability to track the ball with a smooth back peddle and a fluid turn of the hips. The play below is proof of his ball skills, his keen field awareness and his ability to help other defenders while patrolling his deep middle third of the field.

Harris.gif

At 6-foot-1 and 202 pounds, Anthony Harris has 4.56s speed with 32-inch arms — long enough to make Drew Brees pay here by grabbing his 10th interception over the last two seasons, tied for most in the NFL with Atlanta's  Damontae Kazee and Tennessee's Kevin Byard.

Over the last two years, he’s also allowed a passer rating of just 41.4 on throws into his primary coverage, the best mark among safeties who played at least 250 regular-season coverage snaps over that period. His forced incompletion percentage of 23.3% ranks seventh among that same group.

And If you want a sure tackler on the backend of your defense, Anthony Harris is as sure as they come. In 2019, he tied Jaguars safety Ronnie Harrison for the fewest missed tackles while in pass coverage, with zero. In fact, Harris has missed just nine of his 182 regular-season tackle attempts since 2015, good for a 5% missed-tackle rate that ranks first among all qualifying players at the position. 

Harris went undrafted out of the University of Virginia in 2015. He was selected as a first-team All-American following his junior year in 2013 when he collected eight interceptions, so his knack for stealing the ball in pass coverage at the NFL level is by no means a fluke.

Of PFF’s 10 highest-graded safeties over the last two seasons, Anthony Harris’ 872 coverage snaps during that time rank eighth, just ahead of Derwin James (698) and Earl Thomas III (636). But both of those players lag behind Harris’ 10 interceptions, with five and three, respectively. 

PFF’s Eric Eager, who developed our wins above replacement metric, has credited Anthony Harris with a PFF WAR figure of 0.639, making him more valuable than any other non-QB on the Vikings' roster in 2019.

POTENTIAL FITS

As Mike Nolan takes over as the Dallas Cowboys’ new defensive coordinator, he may convince Jerry Jones to upgrade the safety position with a tried and true playmaker like Anthony Harris. In 2019, the Cowboys' secondary tied with both the Cardinals and Lions for a league-low seven interceptions, so having a ballhawk like Harris on the backend would no doubt help push that total in the right direction.

In 2019, the Washington Redskins earned PFF’s 23rd-ranked team coverage grade (57.1) while allowing the fifth-most expected points added per pass play (0.161) and the third-most touchdown passes (35). New defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio may lean heavily towards Ron Rivera’s tendency to use both a Cover-2 and Cover-3 zone with a single high safety when locked in man-to-man coverage. This is where Anthony Harris’ versatility and overall athleticism would pay off in spades.

52 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

^^ Harris and Collins together would be one heck of a tandem at our Safety positions.

Yeah.. sign me up for that. But he's gonna cost dearly, and I have a hard time seeing the team paying mega salaries for both safeties.

It would be nice if they would, and solidify the position for the next 3 years while grooming drafted replacements..

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offseason-needs-for-all-32-nfl-teams-2020

Washington Redskins: Running mates for Terry McLaurin and Quinton Dunbar

Secondary needs: offensive line, tight end

The Redskins had one elite player at both wide receiver (McLaurin) and cornerback (Dunbar) this season. That’s a good start, but the problem was that the remaining players at each of those positions left a lot to be desired. McLaurin had an 85.7 PFF receiving grade, one of the highest marks that we’ve seen from a rookie wide receiver in the PFF era. No other wide receiver had a grade higher than 65.0. Similarly, Dunbar ranked second among all cornerbacks in coverage grade (89.5) to only Richard Sherman, but no other Redskins’ cornerback topped 65.0. Getting some depth at those positions should be a priority for Washington.

The offensive line had a decent season without its best player, Trent Williams. The unit finished 13th in the final PFF offensive line rankings, but its top-ranked offensive lineman from this season — Brandon Scherff — is set to be a free agent, and there are still questions at the tackle position given the age of Donald Penn and the regressing play of Morgan Moses. Tight end also becomes a spot to attack, with Jordan Reed missing the entire 2019 season and playing just over 700 snaps in the past three years due to injury.

So... throwing some numbers out there (made a lot of guesses here... some of them were even educated)

Current cap space - 46mil
2021 Cap space - 146mil (Way’s contract not included, but this does include Smith’s contract)

Throwing out some guesses...

Re-signees:

Scherff:  14.5/per?

Flowers:  7/per?

Extensions (FAs in 2021):

Allen: 10/per

Dunbar:  ? (10/per?)

Roullier:  7-8/per?

Hopkins:  3.5/per?

Kerrigan:  ? (Trade?  Let walk as FA?  Extend?)

Probably won’t extend - Anderson, JHC, Sundberg, Nicholson, Moreau, and others.  

Club option in 2021 for Foster (~9mil?)

Cuts:

Norman: 15.4 cap hit, 3mil dead cap
Reed:  10.3, 1.8

Trent: 14.5, 2 (trade or restructure - very likely not a cut)

2021 key FAs:

Payne (club option - possible extension in 2021)

Guice

Settle

SDH

Sims

Cap space with cuts (not including Trent for now) - 66.5 mil

After re-signs/extensions ~16mil (this doesn’t include Kerrigan).  28.5 if Trent is off the books. 

Some FA targets:

Boston:  5 per year?

Bradberry:  10-12 per?

Harris:  12 per?

Jones: 13-14/per?

Corrections welcome

I agree with that.  Rivera kind of needs Trent (Young qb, new O, and a desire to run the ball), and I imagine with the house cleaning, Trent wouldn’t mind sticking around and not having to move.  3 year restructure might be in the cards (which could also serve to lower his cap hit this year).  

Norman, Richardson and Reed have to go.  

Sad for Reed, but at this point, we need to either teach an injury settlement or cut him if he passed the physical.  

I just don’t think they’ll do it, but I’d move Kerrigan.  

If they really think Smith won’t be able to play, I would cut him this year and get the whole hit off the books.  If I’m reading it correctly, he’s going to count $21M no matter what, and if you cut him, it’s $31M.  If you do it next year, it’s a $10M hit in 2021.

Personally, I’d suck it up and just do it. Frees up a ton of room for 2021. But I doubt they will. 

Then I’d go after the best FS (Harris) HARD and probably sign numbers at DB, as well as the best TE they can get.

Here’s something to keep in the back of your mind. 

Norv Turner coached the formative years of Philip Rivers career, and Ron Rivera was in San Diego at the same time.  I’m sure Scott and Philip know each other at least a little bit. 

While I think the plan is all-in for Haskins, if he’s not showing the commitment early, I wouldn’t be even a little shocked if Ron tried to lure Rivers here as a stop gap.  And the team would be competitive right away.   Would Rivers bring his 58 children East? I don’t know.  But I bet there will be conversations about it. We might never hear about them.  But they will happen. 

Also Scott Turner was in Minnesota when Teddy Bridgewater was drafted. If they are quickly convinced Haskins doesn’t have it, he could be a longer term solution than Rivers who would be a stop gap. 

Both are unlikely.  But I could absolutely see a Rivers move as a veteran QB if they don’t think Haskins can get them to 8-ish wins next year. 

@Voice_of_Reason So cutting Richardson, Reed and Norman gets us to 68mil, cutting Alex puts us at 36mil.  
I’d be curious how much Rivers/Bridgewater would eat into the remaining cap... 15+?
Harris probably costs around 12mil?

With rookies to sign, I don’t know how much cap we’d have left at that point - though if we moved Kerrigan, that would help, and we can probably get smaller cap hits this year (as we eat the Smith deal).  

Trading Trent frees up 12.5 this year, too... even though my preference is to bring him back.  

Still have the guards to account for...

22 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Harris went undrafted out of the University of Virginia in 2015. He was selected as a first-team All-American following his junior year in 2013 when he collected eight interceptions, so his knack for stealing the ball in pass coverage at the NFL level is by no means a fluke.

This was the most interesting part of that profile in my opinion. I have no problem going after a guy like Harris because it can sure up a need position, but with Kyle getting his promotion, I would love to see us bringing in more guys with his size and speed and profiles. I mean look at the stuff mentioned here first team all american junior year but he went undrafted? Why didn't we draft him in the 7th? And who's the next Anthony Harris? 

Archived