Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

If Tennessee messes up and somehow allows Derrick Henry to become a free agent I pounce on him. He's a Bama boy who may be interested in playing with our Bama guys and we know Rivera would build an offense around him while Haskins develops. If we could get Henry and build the defense we have the formula to win. I know we have Guice, Love and AP but none of them are Henry right now. That guy makes your offense and defense better. Sign him and you know Trent's coming back. 

I'm ready to be ripped for this pipe dream so have at it.

9 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If Tennessee messes up and somehow allows Derrick Henry to become a free agent I pounce on him. He's a Bama boy who may be interested in playing with our Bama guys and we know Rivera would build an offense around him while Haskins develops. If we could get Henry and build the defense we have the formula to win. I know we have Guice, Love and AP but none of them are Henry right now. That guy makes your offense and defense better. Sign him and you know Trent's coming back. 

Absolutely got to try if he becomes available. Regarding Guice, I am not at all counting on him. Us waiting on guys like Reed, Thompson, Lauvao, Dunbar, Moraeu, and so on is part of what got us here. We need guys that can play and stay healthy.

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

WAY too expensive for a RB.  

Great player.  Just no RB is worth that money.  Every big money RB contract has gone bust.

Better to put the money in at FS, LB and TE.

Get a competent back (could be Bryce Love if he’s healthy) and go from there.

Eventually the wear on henry is gonna take in effect from all the carries he got from alabama, and now Tennessee. That was his nitpicked flaw and concern...and I love henry as a player and think hes a top 5 back in the league...just eventually hes gonna slow down and just like his first few years where he kinda avoided contact until this last year and a half...what's to stop him from doing it again to preserve himself? I mean u talk to the agent but I wouldnt pull the trigger most likely. And again I love his play, just dont think its gonna last much longer

@Skinsinparadise 6'1" 240lbs and a 4.66? Why not just keep Anderson around? He's shown willingness to do absolutely anything to be on the team. Coverage may lack, but he's got to be good against the run. 

I guess I'm just saying that while I expect a vet to be brought in, I'm going to assume it's someone with knowledge of the system who could be in a tutoring role, as much as playing. Very good LBers just don't seem to hit FA as much as almost any other position. 

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

9 hours ago, dyst said:

Absolutely got to try if he becomes available. Regarding Guice, I am not at all counting on him. Us waiting on guys like Reed, Thompson, Lauvao, Dunbar, Moraeu, and so on is part of what got us here. We need guys that can play and stay healthy.

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

WAY too expensive for a RB.  

Great player.  Just no RB is worth that money.  Every big money RB contract has gone bust.

Better to put the money in at FS, LB and TE.

Get a competent back (could be Bryce Love if he’s healthy) and go from there.

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Exactly. Both starting RB’s going to the Super Bowl were UDFA’s.  That OL in Tennessee is much more important than Henry. 

Agree with HTTR and VoR. You can't allocate that much cash to a RB and build a team around them. The common refrain (which I try to dive deeper into in the "Is Success Predicated on the EDGE" thread) is that QBs and Edge players are the top end positions on a football team. OT follows.

If you are paying your QB 12-18% of your cap, and your edge 8-12% of your cap, and OT 7-10% of your cap, you'right looking somewhere between 27-40% of your total cap on three players. If you pay your RB 8-10% you have spent a ton of cash on four players. How do you build a roster around that?

Derrick Henry is my favorite back in the league. He reminds me of old school football. But paying him would be a mistake.

Backs are best drafted in the 2nd round or later for value, or a value vet back.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Skinsinparadise 6'1" 240lbs and a 4.66? Why not just keep Anderson around? He's shown willingness to do absolutely anything to be on the team. Coverage may lack, but he's got to be good against the run. 

I guess I'm just saying that while I expect a vet to be brought in, I'm going to assume it's someone with knowledge of the system who could be in a tutoring role, as much as playing. Very good LBers just don't seem to hit FA as much as almost any other position. 

I'd like to see what he can do at MIKE if I were a coach on this team. Fits his style better than OLB does. And he plays with controlled violence. Though sometimes he winds up out of the controlled realm, but he's not a big time risk in the middle. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd like to see what he can do at MIKE if I were a coach on this team. Fits his style better than OLB does. And he plays with controlled violence. Though sometimes he winds up out of the controlled realm, but he's not a big time risk in the middle. 

I feel like this is a move we've been waiting to make since we've drafted him. 

Now that I'm really thinking about this, MLBs don't just become FAs if they're good. Pass rushers rarely do and it's generally 100% financial, but MLBs don't get PRer money and they're team captains. That's a position that has to come from the draft or the roster. If there's someone who is a FA and familiar with JDR or RR, I suppose it's different.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I feel like this is a move we've been waiting to make since we've drafted him. 

Now that I'm really thinking about this, MLBs don't just become FAs if they're good. Pass rushers rarely do and it's generally 100% financial, but MLBs don't get PRer money and they're team captains. That's a position that has to come from the draft or the roster. If there's someone who is a FA and familiar with JDR or RR, I suppose it's different.

Well, the issue with Anderson at MIKE is that Cole Holcomb may be able to do the same things he can. Based on what I know of the two of them, Holcomb will be closer to the play more often, and he is a surer tackler. Anderson may get caught on blocks more often, but he's going to be much more aggressive when he gets to the ball carrier and more of a tone setter.

55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am not pushing Klein.  I just put up what Keim said.   Klein from what I recall is a traditional run stopping MLB so I gather he'd compete with Holcomb or serve as his backup.  He was a backup in Carolina.  I noticed he was good in coverage one year but I still recall him playing inside at least in Carolina.   

I am not anti-Anderson at all.  I like him and want to keep him around but as a left end in rotation or an OLB when they go in an under front formation where the OLB basically serves a role similar to a 3-4 OLB. 

I just think the dude is better around the line of scrimmage versus chasing a dude in space.  If we are going in on Anderson for a linebacker spot of some sort in a 4-3 then it would follow a narrative of we didn't really like to watch our OLBs in recent years in space but Anderson was the exception, that dude really shined when he could play in space.  That simply wasn't the case.   He's not fast, he's not agile.  Maybe he's improved his agility when he got into better shape -- I don't know. 

Having said that I think you can get away with Anderson or Kerrigan as an OLB in a 4-3 in this way.  If Del Rio plays a 4-3 under front a lot which some say he prefers -- in that formation the OLB plays right next to the line of scrimmage so they are either rushing or backing up into coverage similar to the 3-4.  And if that's the case Anderson could do it because its almost identical to what he already does now.  Also you are in nickel 75% of the time anyway so one linebacker is off the field and you put in an extra coverage guy.  So lets say of the 25% of the time where you are playing a 4-3, 80% of those reps are in a 4-3 underfront, then why not have Kerrigan or Anderson play OLB.  Unless you have a better alternative.

Personally, I'd rather have Kerrigan (if he's not traded) and Anderson as part of a rotation up front, including playing inside.  But I wouldn't hate them playing OLB in an underfront 4-3 because its almost the same as what they do right now.  

As for MLB, Holcomb runs a 4.48.  Anderson a 4.75.  I am hung up on speed with positions that require major sideline to sideline movement.   London Fletcher was a smart player but he was also very fast.  Anderson has short arms, too.  I get that some said when we drafted him why not?  I recall the discussion. But I am not in the camp of Anderson is a natural MLB.    I think Anderson is fine right where he is. 

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Yeaaahhhhh sure Tennessee is going to let a player who single handedly ran them to the afc championship game just go.

Executive summary of this whole thread so Rivera doesn't have to go through all of it.

I hope the Washington Redskins field a better team in 2020 than they did in 2019. This will include having better players on offense, defense and special teams. Find the best players you can at all positions through draft, trade or free agent and sign as many as you can. End of summary. Good luck.

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You can improve on some of the drills.  but on the 40 times, you can improve only slightly.  It's one of the rare athletic measures that I have a lot of personal experience with.   You can't train someone who isn't fast to become fast.  Short speed -- 10-40 times is mostly innate.  Either you got it or you don't.  Main thing you can do is help them with a quick get off at the whistle but otherwise there is a ceiling as to what you can do.

Fair enough.  I look at Anderson’s time of 4.8 at the combine and think he could have shaved a tenth or maybe even 2 tenths off with a good trainer.  He’s not going to be considered fast either way, but the faster time wouldn’t look so out of place at least in comparison to his peers.  That was my point essentially.  

He said the same thing in the previous off seasons, too.  1st was post combine.  2nd time was post rookie season.  Third time was before this season.   I posted the articles back then, I don't really feel like digging them up again.  It's one thing if I heard it once from him.  But three times makes me at least wonder about him in the off season.  That's all.

I recall him waving off his times/stats post combine and post draft - “I’m not a workout warrior”, but I don’t recall seeing anything about a major change to his diet and offseason training prior to this year?

Sure, I flat out said anyone can improve as a long distance runner.  Short distance is another story. 

OK here you are making my point, too.  So not sure what we are disagreeing that strongly on?

This part was about my caveat - that I understand there is a different ceiling for different body types, but even good athletes can improve their speed.  Not by a ton, no... but even a little faster of a timed speed changes the perspective.  

It depends on what you mean by faster.  The main thing that trainers seem to do with the 40 is train players to be a hair faster by generating a quick get off from the whistle.   But you are making a nominal change on that front.  I have a lot of experience with sprints and short term speed.   I probably can still run a 40 at a decent clip, I'd guess these days about 4.5 which is a slower than what I once could do but I am still pretty fast. 

Dude, that is awesome! :)
Random sidenote, I was playing soccer the other day and running side-by-side with a guy for a far off ball.  Figured we’d reach it at the same time, but then I realized I was keeping up with him running 3/4 speed.  I almost laughed out loud (not at him) as I blew by him.  It was glorious, lol.  

I have a small torso and long legs and  I can just move fast.  If I ran a 40 if I was 10 pounds heavier or lighter than i am now it wouldn't make much of a difference.   If I trained it wouldn't make much of a difference as to short distance.  Being out of shape wouldn't change it because you don't get winded from a sprint.  And a little extra girth doesn't really get in the way either.  Now if I put on 30 pounds maybe that would get in the way but Anderson wasn't that level out of shape.    

This was probably a part of my hang up - if your buddy had dropped distance training for training for sprinting, he may have given you more of a challenge.  You’re right though that a top athlete (in a sport that utilizes a lot of short area speed) won’t see as much of a change with improved training.  

Bringing this back to Anderson my point is i'd prefer any linebacker playing in space to simply be faster than a 4.75.  I'd like them to be in the 4.5-4.6 range.  And I doubt Ryan can train himself into running that fast.  Like you said its hard to improve athleticism.    If you told me that Anderson can improve his poor agility numbers, that I could certainly buy.  Endurance, too as i said in my previous post. 

Agreed.  Again, my point was basically  if Anderson ran a 4.65, we’d be saying we’d like someone a bit faster.  Running his 4.8 at the Combine (I’m assuming 4.75 was at his Pro Day?) leads to more of a ‘he’s way too slow to be playing 43 OLB’.  

Sorry if my first post came off as overly antagonistic or anything - I was in the middle of things and wrote it in a bit of a rush.  I usually try to edit out too much tone.  

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I recall him waving off his times/stats post combine and post draft - “I’m not a workout warrior”, but I don’t recall seeing anything about a major change to his diet and offseason training prior to this year?

After going through his first true NFL offseason, Anderson is hoping that an atypical routine will allow him to become a breakout player among the Redskins outside linebacker core this year. While he did dress in 14 of the 16 games during his rookie campaign, the former Alabama standout noted that he didn't feel that he was working hard enough to make a valuable contribution to the Washington defense.

...His commitment to readjusting his work ethic should excite outside linebackers coach Chad Grimm because the Daphne, Ala., native remains an exciting prospect with plenty of potential to become a vaunted pass rusher.

"I feel like I didn't approach it the way I should've approached last year," Anderson said. "Being a rookie, not really understanding how long the season was, how good a lot of these guys are. I didn't take care of my body like I should have. Right now, I'm really in tune to my body, how I'm eating and just keeping everything up and stuff that I'm trying to slow down.

By Matthew Paras - The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Entering his second year, linebacker Ryan Anderson apparently got in better shape. The 2017 second-round pick hardly saw the field last season, buried in the depth chart behind the Redskins’ other pass rushers.

In December, coach Jay Gruden said he expects all rookies to make a significant jump in Year 2 — including “what they need to do with their body in the offseason to get ready for the second year.”

August 5, 2019 at 2:43 p.m. EDT

RICHMOND — Ryan Anderson had a moment of clarity in the spring. He was now the favorite to be a starting outside linebacker for the Washington Redskins after a pair of lackluster seasons that were marred by injury. The status quo of his first two seasons wouldn’t be enough moving forward.

“I feel like I’m a lot more mature and taking care of my business,” Anderson said. “I’m not a guy that doesn’t realize what’s going on. I realize what’s going on. I realized I hadn’t been where I needed to be. My weight and my body, I realized I wasn’t taking it serious. Now, I’m [going to] do everything I’ve got to do, and we’ll see when I start playing. We’ll get the results

but even good athletes can improve their speed.  Not by a ton, no... but even a little faster of a timed speed changes the perspective.  

Agree, it can change it a little.  But for someone like Anderson I don't think that changes the narrative that much especially in the context of being a dude with the speed to chase down world class athletes in open field.

Random sidenote, I was playing soccer the other day and running side-by-side with a guy for a far off ball.  Figured we’d reach it at the same time, but then I realized I was keeping up with him running 3/4 speed.  I almost laughed out loud (not at him) as I blew by him.  It was glorious, lol.  

This was probably a part of my hang up - if your buddy had dropped distance training for training for sprinting, he may have given you more of a challenge.  You’re right though that a top athlete (in a sport that utilizes a lot of short area speed) won’t see as much of a change with improved training.  

That's cool.   Soccer is my sport as for what i can play well and speed is a big part of it for me.  It sounds like you are fast too so you can relate.  Athletically I don't really have any gift but short distance speed.  But I've used my speed to help me in a variety of sports back in my youth.  

As for my friend who I used to go jogging with.  Yeah I don't think training would have helped him much as for sprints but who knows? 😀

Sorry if my first post came off as overly antagonistic or anything - I was in the middle of things and wrote it in a bit of a rush.  I usually try to edit out too much tone.  

No problem.  I didn't see it as antagonistic.  I just am a bit feisty on short distance speed because I have a lot of experience with it.  And I've raced many people back in my youth, often for ego reasons. 

39 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise  So weird he’d say essentially the same thing two off seasons in a row.  I had definitely not seen the first one you posted - just the ones his first year and the latest.  Thanks for posting.  Wonder what the heck is going on with him then?

As to the rest of your post - 👍

Thanks, the only reason why I happened to remember it is I just found it strange to hear the same narrative again from him and i recall commenting on it during the previous off season so it stuck with me.

How many ESers remember Andre Roberts?  He is going to the Pro Bowl representing the Buffalo Bills this year.

He played for the Skins in 2014 and 2015.   He is mainly a kick returner and punt returner now.  

Hope the new coaching staff knows how to assess talent.  There are too many ex-Redskins being successful on other teams.

We need to make our special teams unit much better to the point where they make a difference in games.  We should try out

several kick return specialists.  Every time I see Brian Mitchell on Comcast tv, he reminds me how much our special teams have

fallen off a cliff over the years.

37 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I like it! Sign Harris, dump Norman. Outside of SS skins dont have a lot of money invested in CBs.. Dunbar is on a cheap contract and if he can stay healthy Dunbar and Harris is a legit CB duo (top 5 in the league) 

Archived