Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Got to also keep track of the CBA situation.

As it stands, 2020 is the final year of the CBA. With that comes no June 1st cuts, various restrictions on how contracts are structured like capping new contract salary increases at 30% year on year, having to fully account for LTBE incentives and voided years.

Teams also get to use both a transition and franchise tag.

Plus, back in 2010/2011 when the last one expired, there was no cap rollover. So basically any unused cap was wiped out and all teams were supposed to start over  in 2011 with no carryover. That may not be a precedent for this time, but that is not known yet.

That may change if a new CBA is agreed upon sooner rather than later, but if that doesn’t occur anytime soon before the onset of free agency then it will without doubt have an impact on how deals are made and contracts are structured.

The point about potentially having NIL carryover into 2021 is definitely one to look out for. 

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

As it stands, 2020 is the final year of the CBA. With that comes no June 1st cuts, various restrictions on how contracts are structured like capping new contract salary increases at 30% year on year, having to fully account for LTBE incentives and voided years.

Plus, back in 2010/2011 when the last one expired, there was no cap rollover. So basically any unused cap was wiped out and all teams were supposed to start over  in 2011 with no carryover. That may not be a precedent for this time, but that is not known yet.

That may change if a new CBA is agreed upon sooner rather than later, but if that doesn’t occur anytime soon before the onset of free agency then it will without doubt have an impact on how deals are made and contracts are structured.

The point about potentially having NIL carryover into 2021 is definitely one to look out for. 

FWIW -

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Great info Thanks

Cut Reed, Moses, Richardson and Norman for sure

Resign Trent, Scherff, and then sign Conklin and Hunter Henry. Protects Haskins, and gives hip a weapon and you can run at will to the right side

Anything else maybe sign a DB, Come away from the draft with either Simmons (i in a trade down) or Young

2 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Cut Reed, Moses, Richardson and Norman for sure

Resign Trent, Scherff, and then sign Conklin and Hunter Henry. Protects Haskins, and gives hip a weapon and you can run at will to the right side

Anything else maybe sign a DB, Come away from the draft with either Simmons (i in a trade down) or Young

How much would this cost and how much cap room would it leave? You have to think Tennessee is going to keep Conklin. Can they keep Conklin and Henry? I have no idea about their cap situation. 

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

How much would this cost and how much cap room would it leave? You have to think Tennessee is going to keep Conklin. Can they keep Conklin and Henry? I have no idea about their cap situation. 

Cutting the 4 player's you mention gets us about 30m cap space which takes us to around 75/80m total cap space. 

HTTR 

20 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So, is it a no-brainer to pick up Jonathan Allen's 5th year option this offseason?  It'll likely cost around $12.5 million.  I'm not so sure it is to be honest.  

Obviously we won't pick up Reuben Foster's.

I wish Redskins do what Eagles are very successful at doing.. Extending players early instead of waiting to the final year of the contract... This way the players can get the financial security early and the Redskins can get extension at a good market but not the TOP 5 market price...  We know the players like Scheff and Allen are low risk players when it comes to extensions...

22 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

I wish Redskins do what Eagles are very successful at doing.. Extending players early instead of waiting to the final year of the contract... This way the players can get the financial security early and the Redskins can get extension at a good market but not the TOP 5 market price...  We know the players like Scheff and Allen are low risk players when it comes to extensions...

Yeah, that's exactly what I suggest we do as well.

rookies can't be extended till after the third year of their four year )or five if first rounders) contracts and many of the non rookies aren't worth a second contract from us

On a different subject, if a new CBA is signed do you think it will override the current CBA?

Here's my 5 step plan for FA success. Ok, it's not 5 steps and not much of a plan, but that's besides the point.

Retire: Reed, Davis.

Cut, Norman, Richardson,

Explore trades: Kerrigan, T Williams (definitely ship this guy out imo)

franchise/resign Scherff

80ish mil cap room, I'd shoot for one biggish FA signing on each side of the ball. I doubt they'll throw big money at a FS since Collins is making a boatload, so we'll say Boston and a DB, Maybe jones from dallass or something.

Obviously throw some money at a tackle and maybe a guard, along with a TE.

Realistically I think we’ll have about 50-60mil max in cap space to use on external FA.

We’ve reportedly got 45-50 now. Move on from Reed and Norman, Richardson and Moses would be on the bubble for me too. Kerrigan and Trent likely get revised deals, then by time you give money to Scherff and consider our other FA, and think about giving a deal to say Flowers, then it all goes full circle back to 50mil or there abouts.

If Smith goes, that would add another wedge through the cap which is apparently offset by an insurance policy.

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they draft Chase Young especially, you want a secondary of playmakers who can help feast off of panicked and errant throws. 

Yeah, we have that in Dunbar (and Moreland if he develops) and I would love to have it at FS as well.  That's actually my biggest worry about signing Byron Jones.  He's graded highly by PFF, but the dude has only had 2 interceptions in his 5 year career.  Even more alarming is the fact that he has zero interceptions while playing as a CB.  It's risky to think he'd become some ball magnet here.

On the other hand, Bradberry has 8 interceptions in his 4 year career (had 3 last year).  So while Jones may have the better PFF grade and be the more "sticky" CB, I'd rather have Bradberry in this defense.

1 hour ago, crabbypatty said:

Here's my 5 step plan for FA success. Ok, it's not 5 steps and not much of a plan, but that's besides the point.

Retire: Reed, Davis.

Cut, Norman, Richardson,

Explore trades: Kerrigan, T Williams (definitely ship this guy out imo)

franchise/resign Scherff

80ish mil cap room, I'd shoot for one biggish FA signing on each side of the ball. I doubt they'll throw big money at a FS since Collins is making a boatload, so we'll say Boston and a DB, Maybe jones from dallass or something.

Obviously throw some money at a tackle and maybe a guard, along with a TE.

Davis is a free agent, so it doesn't matter if he retires or not

21 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

yeah, I just meant he'd be off the books and his 4.5 mil salary would be gone as well.

his 2019 salary is already paid, he has no salary for next year because he's a free agent.  He is already off the books

14. CAROLINA PANTHERS

The Carolina Panthers check-in with PFF’s 14th-highest team coverage grade while ranking in the top 10 in two critical areas of our coverage data, as they tied for ninth in the NFL in total touchdowns allowed (21) and tied for seventh in total interceptions (14). Their back end was a mixed bag this past season. Tre Boston finished with PFF’s fourth-highest grade (90.6) among qualifying safeties, and he allowed a sub-80.0 passer rating for the fifth consecutive year. On the other hand, Eric Reid finished with an unimpressive 34.4 coverage grade, which ranked last of all 101 qualifying players at his position. Boston allowed only six combined first downs and touchdowns across 16 targets in coverage while Reid gave up an alarming 30 first downs across his 58 targets. A drastic reversal by Reid would quickly elevate the entire group.

And for comparison:

23. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

The Washington Redskins struggled all year long against the pass, and nowhere is that better reflected than in their 23rd-ranked team coverage grade of 57.1. This group allowed the fifth-most EPA per pass play from Week 1 to Week 17, and they allowed the third-most touchdown passes of any team in the NFL (35). Fifth-year cornerback Quinton Dunbar was the lone bright spot on the team, as he earned the second-highest coverage grade (89.5) among PFF’s top 25 cornerbacks. On the other hand, Landon Collins turned in a disappointing coverage grade of 60.6 while Josh Norman’s play achieved an even lower mark of 43.4. The Redskins performed poorly in both man and zone coverage, so maybe the hiring of Ron Riveria was done with this group in mind.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2019-nfl-secondary-rankings

Byron Jones of the Dallas Cowboys is expected to be one of the hottest names in free agency this spring. Expect the Pro Bowl corner to sign with a team other than Dallas, as the Cowboys have a few other players they must get sorted.

Denver Broncos safety Justin Simmons will also be a hot name if he hits the open market. But people here at the Shrine Game believe Denver may put the franchise tag on him. This was also reported by PFN Insider Ben Allbright on December 17.

Shelby Harris could be another Denver defender on his way to free agency. I’m told Harris prefers to stay in Denver and would gladly re-sign with the club if the two sides come to a contract agreement. Otherwise, the feeling is Harris could land in Indianapolis if he hits the open market.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/latest-rumors-around-the-nfl-from-day-one-of-shrine-game/

16 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

14. CAROLINA PANTHERS

Tre Boston finished with PFF’s fourth-highest grade (90.6) among qualifying safeties, and he allowed a sub-80.0 passer rating for the fifth consecutive year.

And for comparison:

23. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

The Washington Redskins struggled all year long against the pass, and nowhere is that better reflected than in their 23rd-ranked team coverage grade of 57.1. This group allowed the fifth-most EPA per pass play from Week 1 to Week 17, and they allowed the third-most touchdown passes of any team in the NFL (35). Fifth-year cornerback Quinton Dunbar was the lone bright spot on the team, as he earned the second-highest coverage grade (89.5) among PFF’s top 25 cornerbacks. On the other hand, Landon Collins turned in a disappointing coverage grade of 60.6 while Josh Norman’s play achieved an even lower mark of 43.4. The Redskins performed poorly in both man and zone coverage, so maybe the hiring of Ron Riveria was done with this group in mind.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2019-nfl-secondary-rankings

Tre Boston could have been had for a ham sandwich in the last FA.   Among other reasons, I am glad Bruce is gone because supposedly this is where he inserted himself the most -- that is, FA and it hasn't gone too good.

As for coverage, I'd add I know Holcomb was a great run defender but atrocious in coverage according to PFF.  We need a corner and a FS.   

Most teams seem to have passed on Tre Boston over the last couple of years, can’t recall without looking it up, but didn’t he just wash back up in Carolina last season. 

Don’t get me wrong I’d take him onto our roster to compete, but there must be something amiss.

We need a high quality FS brought in. Either this year in FA or 2021 in the draft if we stick at #2 for Young this year.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Most teams seem to have passed on Tre Boston over the last couple of years, can’t recall without looking it up, but didn’t he just wash back up in Carolina last season. 

Don’t get me wrong I’d take him onto our roster to compete, but there must be something amiss.

We need a high quality FS brought in. Either this year in FA or 2021 in the draft if we stick at #2 for Young this year.

well people keep ignoring him then he pops up on a team and seems to play well.  Maybe he just has unreasonably high salary demands

Archived