Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME JACK DEL RIO AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

January 2, 2020

REDSKINS NAME JACK DEL RIO AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

m0641gersykooamqh13j.jpg

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Jack Del Rio as Defensive Coordinator.

Del Rio brings 32 combined seasons of NFL experience to the role, including 21 as a coach and 11 as a player. Prior to being named the Redskins defensive coordinator, Del Rio held head coach and defensive coordinator roles with the Oakland Raiders (2015-17), Denver Broncos (2012-14), Jacksonville Jaguars (2003-11) and Carolina Panthers (2002). He has coached 28 players to a total of 56 Pro Bowl selections.

In 2016, Del Rio guided the Raiders to a 12-4 record, marking the franchise’s first 12-win season since 2000. The Raiders earned a postseason berth for the first time since 2002 and landed an NFL-high seven players on the AFC Pro Bowl squad. Two Raiders earned spots on the Associated Press All-Pro First Team and DE Khalil Mack was named Defensive Player of the Year. Del Rio was selected as the recipient of the Maxwell Club’s Greasy Neale Professional Coach of the Year Award. In addition, he was named the AFC Coach of the Year by Kansas City’s Committee of 101.

During his tenure with the Denver Broncos from 2012-14, Del Rio was part of three-straight AFC West titles and helped lead Denver to an AFC Championship and appearance in Super Bowl XLVIII following the 2013 campaign. In 2012, Denver’s defense finished as the NFL’s second-ranked unit (290.8 yards per game), after finishing the previous season ranked 20th in the league.

Prior to joining the Broncos, Del Rio spent nine seasons at the helm in Jacksonville. During his head coaching tenure (2003 to 2011) with the Jaguars, the club ranked sixth in the NFL in yards per game allowed (317.3) and eighth in points per game allowed (20.3). Under Del Rio, the Jaguars made two playoff appearances in 2005 and 2007, highlighted by the club’s first postseason win in eight seasons with a 31-29 road victory against the Pittsburgh Steelers in a 2007 AFC Wild Card Game.

During his lone season as a defensive coordinator with Carolina in 2002, he inherited the NFL’s worst defense statistically (371.4 yards per game allowed) and turned it into the league’s second ranked unit (290.4 yards per game allowed). As linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 1999-2001, Del Rio tutored a talented group that included Peter Boulware, Ray Lewis and Jamie Sharper. The group finished with a 35-19 record including two playoff appearances, an AFC Championship and a championship in Super Bowl XXXV.

A veteran of 11 seasons as an NFL linebacker, he was selected in the third round (68th overall) of the 1985 NFL Draft by New Orleans and went on to make the NFL’s All-Rookie Team and earn the Saints’ Rookie of the Year award. For his career, he played 160 games in the regular season and totaled 1,078 tackles, 12 sacks and 13 interceptions.

Del Rio was a four-year starter at the University of Southern California, where he earned consensus All-American honors as a senior and was runner-up for the Lombardi Award, given to the nation’s best lineman or linebacker. A standout catcher on the USC baseball team, Del Rio was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1981. He was inducted into the USC Athletic Hall of Fame in May 2015.

Del Rio was a three-sport star in football, baseball and basketball at Hayward High School in Hayward, Calif. Born on April 4, 1963, in Castro Valley, Calif., Del Rio and his wife, Linda, have three daughters, Lauren, Hope and Aubrey, and a son, Luke.

DEL RIO FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2017-15:                      Head Coach, Oakland Raiders

2013 (wks. 10-13):      Interim Head Coach, Denver Broncos

2012-14:                      Defensive Coordinator, Denver Broncos

2003-11:                      Head Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars

2002:                           Defensive Coordinator, Carolina Panthers

1999-01:                      Linebackers Coach, Baltimore Ravens

1998:                           Linebackers Coach, New Orleans Saints

1997:                           Assistant Strength Coach, New Orleans Saints

1996:                           Linebacker, Miami Dolphins*

1992-95:                      Linebacker, Minnesota Vikings

1989-91:                      Linebacker, Dallas Cowboys

1987-88:                      Linebacker, Kansas City Chiefs

1985-86:                      Linebacker, New Orleans Saints

1981-84                       Linebacker, University of Southern California

*Denotes Practice Squad or offseason signing.

• TK pinned this topic

we're just at the beginning in this latest "hopeful chances" saga but this move being a done deal is a major follow-up reinforcing the first good move

so that's two major improvements in a row

heady

let's go for a record----three in a row! :)

In Rivera's exit presser from Carolina he mentioned trying to surround him self with people who were smarter than he was. Lots of people say that, but doing it is another thing. I don't know if JDR is "smarter" per se, but he is an ex head coach and one might view him as a threat to take over when things get rocky. I am encouraged to see that Ron isn't threatened by the prospect of hiring someone who is his relative equal.

I always thought highly of Del Rio going back to his days as the HC in Jacksonville. Thought he kind of got a bad shake with the Raiders when he got fired there. That 12-4 team was very good and Carr was having a great year when he broke his leg in the second to last game of the season. The backup then got hurt in the last game of the season and they had to play the playoff game against Houston with a QB off the street. If Carr hadn't got hurt, there's know saying how far that team might have gone.

I think Del Rio would've been a solid hire if a team had hired him as HC- to have him as our DC should be nothing short of a homerun. The problem could be keeping him here for more than a season or two, because if he does here with our defense what he pretty much has done with defenses wherever he's been, he's probably going to get another shot somewhere as a HC. But that of course is getting ahead of ourselves and I'm really excited to have him as our DC!  

Heres to hoping we get DC Del Rio and not HC Del Rio.  I know obviously he has the DC title, but his defenses as HC were quite poor, while those as DC were really good.  For the record, this is the first DC hire we have made in the past 10 years that I actually like and think has a very good chance for success.

I'm a total 3 yard cloud of dust defense loving fan. I'll go for a beer during  the offense. I'm kinda Callahanish in that regards. 

I love watching the defense. Agressive, run shooting attacking, downhill defense. 

And now our HC and DC are both proven former LBers from the 85 Bears tree, with great past rankings. 

I could not be more excited. This is Gibbs II and Marty, but better.

HTTR

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A complete removal of Bruce, then Larry Hess and the gang, followed by the addition of Ron Rivera and Del Rio.  Outside of Dan selling the team to someone competent, I honestly can't think of what else he could have done better here and that's not often said, if ever.

I look forward to the day your name is changed to RecoveringFanSyndromMaybe lol

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is awesome news.  

Huge questions with personnel.  Going to need new GM, Riverboat and JDR on the same page.  

Interesting there hasn’t been a formal announcement I have seen in exits.  Almost like they don’t want to acknowledge Manusky’s exist. 

Did you mean exit or was that a freudian slip? Because I don't even want to acknowledge that he exists either. 

45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Did you mean exit or was that a freudian slip? Because I don't even want to acknowledge that he exists either. 

39 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I was wondering the same thing when I read that.

Regardless of what he meant, the fact we all thought the same thing is telling enough lol

Archived