Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

31 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Wouldn't JDR be more likely to be hired away? He's been good everywhere. Is the fact that he already was a head coach the reason he's less of a hot commodity? Or maybe that teams prefer offensive minded head coaches at this juncture?

Probably less likely. For a few reasons.

He's been a HC, not once but twice. And both were recently, and both were basically a failure. Do assistants get more than 2 failed gigs as a HC before they're considered non-HC material ? Gregg Williams is one example. Through 12 years as a HC, JDR's record was 93-94, and zero playoff wins.

That's a view from the league's perspective. Then there's his perspective...

It also seems likely from his POV, as well. He seems to love to work with Rivera. And also, he can surely see we're starting to build something special here, that he hasn't seen in a long time, so that has to be something he'd like to be a part of. Who would not want to be the DC for a DL like this ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There could easily be a few more than 3 vacancies though. Havn't we already had 3 or 4 firings, in-season.

Turner also has been around the league a bit, in his gigs. So he may have connections that know him well. Just like McVay hired O'Connell, due to familiarity, even though he didn't appear to accomplish much as OC.

Turner spent time in Minnesota, and I'm thinkin of the possibility Zimmer could get canned. So that's a possibility.

McVay and O’Connell never worked together. 

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There could easily be a few more than 3 vacancies though. Havn't we already had 3 or 4 firings, in-season.

Turner also has been around the league a bit, in his gigs. So he may have connections that know him well. Just like McVay hired O'Connell, due to familiarity, even though he didn't appear to accomplish much as OC.

Turner spent time in Minnesota, and I'm thinkin of the possibility Zimmer could get canned. So that's a possibility.

I named only three off the top of my head. You also have folks like Harbaugh, Eberfluss, Lincoln Riley and several others who are ahead on the pecking order. If Raheem gets canned in Atlanta, he’ll get a job elsewhere. I also don’t think Scott will go jump at just any head coaching job, given his dad’s experience with the Raiders, for example. 

I don't see Scott Turner being picked up for a HC job this offseason. I think he is getting better, but those first halves are still really rough. He also just hasn't been dazzling. I do think he's getting better every week and is slowly rounding into good shape, but I don't see him being a hot commodity.

I've been wrong before. People love hiring Washington OCs to be head coaches. 

• Like 4

There are going to be MANY openings in the league in the off-season:

Already Looking:

1). Detroit 

2). Atlanta 

3). Texans

100% goner:

4. Jets (Gase)

Most-Likely to be goner:

5). Jags (Marone)

6). Chargers (Lynn)

7). Bears (Nagy)

50/50 goners:

8). Eagles (Pederson)

9).  Bucs (Arians)

10).  Bengals (Taylor)

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

There are going to be MANY openings in the league in the off-season:

Already Looking:

1). Detroit 

2). Atlanta 

3). Texans

100% goner:

4. Jets (Gase)

Most-Likely to be goner:

5). Jags (Marone)

6). Chargers (Lynn)

7). Bears (Nagy)

50/50 goners:

8). Eagles (Pederson)

9).  Bucs (Arians)

10).  Bengals (Taylor)

You don't think Minnesota is a possibility ?

They havn't been terrible, however they have terribly underachieved the last few years.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

You don't think Minnesota is a possibility ?

They havn't been terrible, however they have terribly underachieved the last few years.

Nah, they've played better recently, and will probably keep him.  They aren't going to be an attractive job (compared to Chargers (Herbert) and Jets (have two extra 1sts coming from the Adams trade and likely Lawrence)).  By default, they are the 2nd best team in the division next year.  

I don't think the jury will be out on Scott Turner until the team either develops, drafts, or signs some more playmakers that can really get the paced picked up and pick up more yards per play.  As solid as McLaurin has been, how you use him could still very well be limited due to all the focus on him.  Cam Sims needs to turn into an every game performer, if he wants to really ascend the depth chart.   Sims Jr & Inman....they can't seem to get out of their own way most of the time.   

15 hours ago, Burgold said:

I don't see Scott Turner being picked up for a HC job this offseason. I think he is getting better, but those first halves are still really rough. He also just hasn't been dazzling. I do think he's getting better every week and is slowly rounding into good shape, but I don't see him being a hot commodity.

I've been wrong before. People love hiring Washington OCs to be head coaches. 

I see it the same way. It was a rough start with some very quesionable play designs. Now he has gotten somewhat in a flow and the trend is going upwards - no question. However, I don't think that an organization is going to pull the trigger on someone like Turner that quickly. He wasn't such a hot commodity to begin with whereas guys like McVay were touted to be geniuses and super brilliant.

I am not too worried about our staff getting interviews. Everyone by now knows that JDR is a very good DC but an average at best HC and Scott Turner has been trending up but our offense would need a couple of great outings down the line for me to believe we are in jeopardy of losing him. I think he is still learning how to be an effective OC and that is usually not someone you give the keys to your franchise to.

Just now, Panninho said:

I am not too worried about our staff getting interviews. Everyone by now knows that JDR is a very good DC but an average at best HC and Scott Turner has been trending up but our offense would need a couple of great outings down the line for me to believe we are in jeopardy of losing him. I think he is still learning how to be an effective OC and that is usually not someone you give the keys to your franchise to.

So, I want to be careful about this because I'm not sure it's fair or true, but the winning coincided with two things. Alex Smith taking the reins as QB is the obvious one, but at the same time that was happening, Rivera rang the bell and Jack Del Rio gave up a lot of head coaching responsibilities to focus on being a DC. Jack Del Rio's defense has been improving of late, but really, his defenses were terrible in the first half too. You can make the argument that the Steelers represented his first good four quarter effort.

Mind you, from day one, his second half D's have been amazing.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

So, I want to be careful about this because I'm not sure it's fair or true, but the winning coincided with two things. Alex Smith taking the reins as QB is the obvious one, but at the same time that was happening, Rivera rang the bell and Jack Del Rio gave up a lot of head coaching responsibilities to focus on being a DC. Jack Del Rio's defense has been improving of late, but really, his defenses were terrible in the first half too. You can make the argument that the Steelers represented his first good four quarter effort.

Mind you, from day one, his second half D's have been amazing.

Those are some fair points and the second one, which I agree with, further strengthens the argument that JDR won't get hired to be a HC. About Alex Smith and the offense...It is true that the offense got significantly better since AS took over and I am not sure how dumbed down the playbook was at the beginning of the season but we saw so many occasions where players where in the same spots that I don't think this is only due to the QB situation. I think Turner was going through some growing pains as well.

It really was a very difficult year for any new coaching regime. No OTA, minimal non contact preseason, and so many other reasons why it would be really hard to install a new system. That alone, without Rivera getting cancer, or relying on so many rookies and first years would have made this year about growing pains. As such, it's really difficult to judge this group.

Would they have started out better with a vet group? Maybe, but maybe not. After all, vets have entrenched habits that might run counter to what the new coach wants.

34 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's 3 guys on staff I really hope do not go elsewhere in the offseason : Kyle Smith, JDR, and Turner.

I think eventually Kyle Smith is going to end up with the GM title, but it's going to work similar to the way it works in Seattle, where technically he works for Rivera, but has a lot of autonomy.

Del Rio has been a HC twice, and for a fairly long period of time.  Jags from 2003 - 2011 and Raider from 2015 - 2017.  That's over a decade as a HC with very "meh" results overall.  I doubt he gets another real opportunity.  The trend is to go younger these days anyway, look for the next Sean McVay/Kyle Shanahan/Matt LaFleur.  (Yes, I used all three as examples because they were all here.) I doubt he gets another shot to be honest.  

Turner is interesting.  I think he'll get a look, but I do think it's going to be a couple years before he gets a serious look.  He's doing well, but it doesn't feel to me he had the same buzz surrounding him that McVay did.  McVay has everything: offensive genius, workaholic, engaging presence, and movie star looks (which isn't the be-all, end-all, but if your HC is the face of your organization, not bad if it's a good looking face.).  (And now I think he's engaged to some exotic European supermodel or something). 

Turner seems much more like his father personality wise. 

I dunno.  I hope they stick around for a few years.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Cam Sims needs to turn into an every game performer, if he wants to really ascend the depth chart.   Sims Jr & Inman....they can't seem to get out of their own way most of the time.   

Rivera is giving the young guys an opportunity to develop and prove themselves.  Cam Sims has really stepped up but even with his recent performance the team needs him to be the #3 or #4 WR going forward.  Another really good WR will give the team the depth at WR that it really needs to go toe to toe with the best teams.  I was hoping that Sims Jr would take a step up this year but perhaps no offseason and injuries are holding him back.  Inman seems to be purely a backup IMO.  The WR battle for roster spots next offseason (I hope they have one!) will be interesting.      

I don't see Turner getting a lot of HC looks just yet. There are already a few Off coaches that are in line for HC jobs around the NFL that will be hot commodities.

I could see JDR getting a couple interviews this off season. Some franchises strongly favor HCs w/ experience, especially if they have established players and are not doing a full reboot. A situation the bears may be in if the move on from Nagy for example. They probably wont want a young guy in there and JDR would be a natural fit for their D focus. Plus JDRs fill in for Ron while he battled cancer has to play well across the NFL as well.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think eventually Kyle Smith is going to end up with the GM title, but it's going to work similar to the way it works in Seattle, where technically he works for Rivera, but has a lot of autonomy

Kyle Smith isn't going anywhere--Rivera has raved how well they work together. Title or no, I think he's here for the long-term.

It's funny a couple of wins, and Turner goes from getting canned to a potential HC candidate.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Kyle Smith isn't going anywhere--Rivera has raved how well they work together. Title or no, I think he's here for the long-term.

Has Rivera said that recently? Not being funny, I’m interested to know because I’ve long thought Kyle could be on the hot seat. However, the 2020 budget free agency class has started to come good, but I’ve thought Rivera has been quiet on that subject since singing Kyles praise a long while back, draft time I’m guessing.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Has Rivera said that recently? Not being funny, I’m interested to know because I’ve long thought Kyle could be on the hot seat. However, the 2020 budget free agency class has started to come good, but I’ve thought Rivera has been quiet on that subject since singing Kyles praise a long while back, draft time I’m guessing.

I'm still not worried--even though Chris Russell is (shocker...). His comments a couple days ago:

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/what-is-exec-kyle-smiths-future-with-washington-football-team

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm still not worried--even though Chris Russell is (shocker...). His comments a couple days ago:

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/what-is-exec-kyle-smiths-future-with-washington-football-team

Interesting thanks. I’m sticking with my ‘unsure’ verdict. 

My money is on Rivera wanting his ‘own’ person to run the show, or that Kyle may well have been lined up by another front office. Time will tell. 

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Interesting thanks. I’m sticking with my ‘unsure’ verdict. 

My money is on Rivera wanting his ‘own’ person to run the show, or that Kyle may well have been lined up by another front office. Time will tell. 

It's possible--I just don't see it. It would be really surprising. He's done a fantastic job here--it would be on par with canning John Schnieder oh so many moons ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's funny a couple of wins, and Turner goes from getting canned to a potential HC candidate.

Thats what I was thinking. :ols: almost everyone wanted Turner tarred and feathered 2 weeks ago and now other teams are gonna steal him.

• Thanks 1