Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to like this offense. Notice that if this play goes, McClaurin is one on one with a LB. And lets not forget AG is a natural WR. You also get your normal LB on Logan. But the overall impression is that it confused the hell out of the cowgirls. Cost them a timeout they'd probably like to use for their own purposes. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

I'm starting to like this offense. Notice that if this play goes, McClaurin is one on one with a LB. And lets not forget AG is a natural WR. You also get your normal LB on Logan. But the overall impression is that it confused the hell out of the cowgirls. Cost them a timeout they'd probably like to use for their own purposes. 

Next time, quick-snap it ;)

• Like 1

Its funny how playcalling is suddenly not so bad when the plays work.

Maybe the problem earlier was execution, and/or having a QB that couldn't run the system.

I think Smith is still limiting the offense big time but props to Turner and co. for working within his limitations.

• Like 1

The passing game is still pretty ugly but the run game has been working and the OL has been far better since Lucas and Schweitzer started playing.  The defenses have been a lot weaker though, so we'll see if we can still run the ball against Pittsburgh.  That Cowboys front was unbelievably soft.  They just didn't want it.  Ours is not a dominant OL but they were just beating them up and having fun with them.

There is zero pressure on this group and they are healthy and we've been lucky with Covid.  Hopefully they can get on a roll against opponents who are worn down and in a December grind and just keep leaning on the Gibson and McLauren one two punch because we don't have a diverse attack or a threatening passing game.

Also wanted to say I liked Morgan Moses on the left side yesterday.  I thought that was a success and maybe we should finish out the year with him there.  See if that's a potential long term fix.  Sharpe held his own on the right mostly.

• Like 1

I am liking the trick plays including using our best QB TE at QB

That reverse handoff from Smith to JD McKissic (C) was a beauty.  How can an NFL team snap a ball and defense doesn't react?  I thought the DL were taught to watch the ball.

Hats off to Scott for some IMO desperately needed more imaginative play calling.  He did seem rather Norvous when they showed him up in the booth probably because he knew he was going to embarrass and abuse the Dallas D with those gadgets.

I would like to see him start calling more designed passes to our backs.  Alex is likely going there anyways... don't fight it. 

Edited by RandyHolt

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its funny how playcalling is suddenly not so bad when the plays work.

Maybe the problem earlier was execution, and/or having a QB that couldn't run the system.

I think Smith is still limiting the offense big time but props to Turner and co. for working within his limitations.

No, it's easy to see why some playcalling was questionable at best, regardless of the outcome. I mean, if there was a play where the QB immediately turns around and tosses the ball with two hands back over his head, I doubt anyone would be calling it a good play just because one of our guys caught it lol...long forming gadget plays on 2nd and short probably is not a good idea for a rebuilding team with a ton of young players, for example. Plays that result in three WRs ending their routes all bunched within 3 yards of each other might not be a play you wanna keep in the playbook. I would guess that Turner's kinks have been steadily ironed our (or completely removed) from/in his playcalling as the weeks progressed. That's not unheard of with a young and inexperienced OC.

9 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I am liking the trick plays including using our best QB TE at QB

Speaking of which, WTF is the "Annexation of Puerto Rico"? lol...

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Turner should win OC of the year.

Not because our offense has been on fire.

But because he's done so much - with so little - in such a short period of time - with 3 different QB's in-season.

Remember, the offseason so many people said, "He only has 6 games experience as OC !"

Well, he matured pretty quickly

Not sure about OC of the year but considering this system install is in year-one with no OTA's, no camp and a QB carousel on top?  It's understandably been a struggle but you can see progress being made...

3 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Not sure about OC of the year but considering this system install is in year-one with no OTA's, no camp and a QB carousel on top?  It's understandably been a struggle but you can see progress being made...

Yea I'd rather him not win any awards actually.

The less publicity he gets the better.

Because I'm convinced, he's a keeper.

I don't want him getting a HC job anytime soon.

Then again, McVay got a HC job pretty quick, himself, without a huge amount of publicity.

I heard on The Junkies last week that Scott Turner's name has already been thrown around as a possible interviewee for some of this year HC positions.  It seems too soon but NFL people either like what he's doing or he's benefiting from the Turner name.

Edited by HigSkin

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea I'd rather him not win any awards actually.

The less publicity he gets the better.

Because I'm convinced, he's a keeper.

I don't want him getting a HC job anytime soon.

Then again, McVay got a HC job pretty quick, himself, without a huge amount of publicity.

If we can get into the playoffs that is all the publicity he will need as everyone then will know. But yeah you have to keep him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

If we can get into the playoffs that is all the publicity he will need as everyone then will know. But yeah you have to keep him. 

Yea, who am I kidding. Front Office people don't just read sports headlines when searching for a new coach, lol...they absolutely delve into some lesser known guys not getting publicity, to find that diamond in the rough, basically.-

And as for playoffs, when Sean McVay was hired away from us, we didn't even make the playoffs the previous year. In fact, we were 3rd place that year.

Bottom line, is they look at more than just the obvious, when looking for a HC. And it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the offer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I heard on The Junkies last week that Scott Turner's name has already been thrown around as a possible interviewee for some of this year HC positions.  It seems too soon but NFL people either like what he's doing or he's benefiting from the Turner name.

I would think he is going to rank lower than guys like Brian Daboll, Bienemy and Saleh. I think we are good to go for at least 2021.

I think the positional assistants are great and have done an excellent job of teaching these young players but we don’t really have young assistants we are grooming on that side of the ball. Once Turner leaves, they’ll have to go out of house to get someone

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, method man said:

I would think he is going to rank lower than guys like Brian Daboll, Bienemy and Saleh. I think we are good to go for at least 2021.

There could easily be a few more than 3 vacancies though. Havn't we already had 3 or 4 firings, in-season.

Turner also has been around the league a bit, in his gigs. So he may have connections that know him well. Just like McVay hired O'Connell, due to familiarity, even though he didn't appear to accomplish much as OC.

Turner spent time in Minnesota, and I'm thinkin of the possibility Zimmer could get canned. So that's a possibility.