Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

I get the sense that Scott has been understudy to his dad for a long time. Maybe, he'll emerge from Norv's shadow and really prove himself? Skimming his wiki page, he mostly was a QBs coach and never the main guy. That might mean that he has been well groomed and is ready to go or that Ron felt he didn't get enough of a go to prove what he could do at Carolina and thought the kid could develop into one of the good ones. It may also mean that when Rivera was assembling his staff he was on the lookout for nothing, but comfy shoes.

6 hours ago, Hogs 1991 said:

Here is what I find interesting. After we’ve drafted players like Antonio Gibson and Antonio Gandy Golden, I’ve been combing the internet a little bit to see what kind of offense Scott Turner runs, or atleast get an idea of what his offensive philosophy is, so I can see whether or not said players fit his scheme. After doing some minor digging, I’ve find out that the Carolina Panthers, and Cam Newton for that matter, best offensive years came under the guidance of Mike Shula at offensive coordinator. So if Ron Rivera knows and have seen his best offensive performances under Mike Shula, what didn’t hire Mike Shula as offensive coordinator instead of Scott Turner ?

https://www.nj.com/giants/2018/02/inside_look_at_giants_oc_mike_shula_tenure_panthers.html

Jourdan Rodrigue, who covers the Panthers for The Charlotte Observer, takes you inside Shula's seven-year tenure in Carolina, where he started as quarterbacks coach for a rookie Cam Newton and was promoted. The team went to a Super Bowl and Newton won a MVP in 2015, but Shula was fired last month.

"What stands out about Mike's time in Carolina was the inconsistency with which his offenses operated. At times, the Panthers looked unstoppable and at other times completely predictable and sluggish — it never felt like either end of the spectrum would last very long, either."

"The complaints I mostly saw were that he was too predictable."My opinion has largely been that Shula is great with play design and concepts, but decision-making, rhythm and timing were not his strengths. So I think working in tandem with Shurmur could be really good for him.

"I've always kind of looked at Mike like the kind of bright, slightly disheveled mind that is happiest when buried in notes and film and coming up with new ideas. That's a great mind to have around. But you don't always want that guy calling the plays."

"His scripted drives were largely successful, but in-game adjustments constantly seemed to happen a touch too late."

• Like 1

That description of Mike sounds word for word what you'd use to describe another offensive mind that's been around here for the last 6 years.

If that description is true then I'm eternally grateful we didn't hire him as offensive coordinator. 

I Don't think I can handle another offense that's predictable and struggles in the second half every single game.

• Like 2

Listening to a Adrian Petersen interview on Redskins.com. He gets into talking about being excited to play against the Ravens this year. He mentions wanting to see Jackson play the Qb position based on his ability to run the ball. But peculiar enough, he goes on to mention Cam and how his ability to pull the ball down and run changes the run game for the better. Found that interesting that he would mention Cam without being ask. Maybe Cam mentioning he would be open to play in a backup role is the right circumstance Ron is looking for. Just sayin'

Edited by joeken24
add

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Was the article any good?  I don't subscribe to the athletic.  

Yeah, there's some good insight.  I think an Athletic subscription is still free as of right now.  I know they were doing a free 3-month (IIRC) subscription once the stay-at-home orders first started.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What Sharp is talking about can be replicated with Gibson right?  Carries, catches, etc.  Split backfield with AP/Guice on one side and then McKissic/Gibson.

Make it hard for defenses to match personnel and do run fits.  Is Gibson the lead blocker or is he running a route?

I'd imagine both backs would have to lead block at points depending on the design/direction of the play.  I think most of your schemes are going to be assigning someone else to block the nearest alley defender, so the main thing they're probably going to expected to do is hustle up field and at least get in the way of those safeties sitting in the deep zones or defenders pursuing from the backside.  Easier than digging out or sealing off box defenders and if the play has already gained enough yards for downfield blocks on the safeties to matter, then it's a good run.

"H" is a good alignment for players like McKissic and Gibson who are probably more natural receivers.  Lots of options for motioning them or having them run routes from that spot, and getting them into a split back formation would be easy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think Turner is going to be extremely versatile and creative and we may not have any sure things on offense right now, except Mc, but we do potentially have a lot of creative weapons. 

I agree.

i have more faith in those positions than I do about our OL. That’s more of a risk area for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Could Thaddeus Moss be a FB? He's big for a RB at 6'2" 250, if he's doesn't have the length for TE?

He was the first person I thought of when they announced there will no preseason games. I hated them too but 2 would be fine, you have to give your first year guys an opportunity.

• Like 2

Saw some tweets earlier about all the top pre-snap motion users in the league being basclically the most successful teams...many have talked about this here but over the last few games Turner became one of the heaviest adopters of pre-snap motion in CAR, that speaks well of his creativity and ability to pick up on successful trends around the league imo, and can only make things easier for Haskins.

• Like 3