Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Tampa has three that are better than him.  Minny has two.  Buffalo has two.  Arizona has two plus Rondale Moore in the pipeline.  Seattle has two.  Tennessee has two.  Cleveland has two and they're a run first team. 

How many of those teams have QBs significantly better than Dwayne Haskins, Kyle Allen, and a one-legged Alex Smith? How many of those WRs have played with 6 different QBs over the last 2 years?

Just saying, pretty sure that plays a role in Mclaurin's production and usage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Adams is currently the best WR in the league.  This is what I'm talking about when I say the fanbase overrates Terry.

He was pretty bad his first couple years in the league. Led the league in drops at one point. But he had an organization that stuck with him and a HOF QB throwing to him.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Adams is currently the best WR in the league.  This is what I'm talking about when I say the fanbase overrates Terry.

This somewhat true.  When Terry makes All-pro, then his reputation will live up to the fans (me included) expectations of him.

I think Scott Turner is garbage. He's awful and unproven. Yeah, sure, we went to the playoffs with him running an offense QBed Alex Smith for half a season, but we don't need that, we need visionaries. OCs need a strong resume to be given the benefit of the doubt.

We need to hire Kevin O'Connell. Now THERE is an OC with.... Actually, I dunno. Why were we supposed to like Kevin but not Scott again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This season will make or break Scott Turner.  I know some Panthers fans, and they were NOT impressed by Turner, and were perturbed by us hiring him to be our OC.  He had an excuse last year due to our QB play, but now that that's upgraded somewhat, and the fact we have upgraded our WR group as well, it's go time for Turner.  If this offense fails to score more than 21 points per game, then he's a bust who needs to be fired as soon as the season ends.  I'm not going to be impressed if we average a high number of yards per game, but yet the team fails to cross the 21-24 point barrier often.  Our red zone play calling has been abysmal the last few years.  Turner needs to be the reason why that improves, not stagnates/gets worse.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

This season will make or break Scott Turner.  I know some Panthers fans, and they were NOT impressed by Turner, and were perturbed by us hiring him to be our OC.  He had an excuse last year due to our QB play, but now that that's upgraded somewhat, and the fact we have upgraded our WR group as well, it's go time for Turner.  If this offense fails to score more than 21 points per game, then he's a bust who needs to be fired as soon as the season ends.  I'm not going to be impressed if we average a high number of yards per game, but yet the team fails to cross the 21-24 point barrier often.  Our red zone play calling has been abysmal the last few years.  Turner needs to be the reason why that improves, not stagnates/gets worse.

I'm not impressed. Last year the offense was limited by the QBs and the talent. This year new QB, upgraded weapon. I know it was preseason. But it looked like the same offense with the same pre-snap looks, with the same running into a wall of 9 defenders who know a run is coming. 

"But it's preseason. you don't show anything."

I don't know. If there was an opposite of Osaka. This was it. We still have no idea if he can call an offense consistently. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I'm not impressed. Last year the offense was limited by the QBs and the talent. This year new QB, upgraded weapon. I know it was preseason. But it looked like the same offense with the same pre-snap looks, with the same running into a wall of 9 defenders who know a run is coming. 

"But it's preseason. you don't show anything."

I don't know. If there was an opposite of Osaka. This was it. We still have no idea if he can call an offense consistently. 

Congrats, you failed the open book test.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Tampa has three that are better than him.  Minny has two.  Buffalo has two.  Arizona has two plus Rondale Moore in the pipeline.  Seattle has two.  Tennessee has two.  Cleveland has two and they're a run first team.  And that's just the here and now.  There are teams like Denver and Cincy and Miami and Dallas and KC and SF who look like they're going to have that level of depth this year.  And other teams have #1 receivers who are better than Terry like New Orleans, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Chicago.

For us to match the level of skill talent that the good offenses field, we have to hope Terry makes the leap to being the All Pro caliber player that this fan base already thinks he is, and that Samuel is an ascending talent on the cusp of making a major leap too.

I’M SORRY DID YOU SAY FITZGERALD BEASLEY AB AND LANDRY ARE BETTER THAN TERRY WTF

Just like with Logan Thomas, I don’t get the Terry take, Steve. 

Buffalo having two better than him Is a pretty large stretch. 

For what it’s worth: all the teams you named have had stability at quarterback.

Tampa - Brady

Minny - Cousins (say what we want, he is steady)

Green Bay - Rodgers

Buffalo - Allen

Arizona - Murray

Tennessee - Tannehill

Cleveland - Mayfield

Seattle - Wilson

Washington - Dwayne Haskins

One of those things was not like the others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Tampa has three that are better than him.  Minny has two.  Buffalo has two.  Arizona has two plus Rondale Moore in the pipeline.  Seattle has two.  Tennessee has two.  Cleveland has two and they're a run first team.  And that's just the here and now.  There are teams like Denver and Cincy and Miami and Dallas and KC and SF who look like they're going to have that level of depth this year.  And other teams have #1 receivers who are better than Terry like New Orleans, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Chicago.

For us to match the level of skill talent that the good offenses field, we have to hope Terry makes the leap to being the All Pro caliber player that this fan base already thinks he is, and that Samuel is an ascending talent on the cusp of making a major leap too.

And here I thought your Haskins takes were bad.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Buffalo having two better than him Is a pretty large stretch. 

Buffalo's two receivers were All Pros last season.

Haskins started six games last season, I realize he's the scapegoat for everything that went wrong last year, but Terry's lack of production relative to the top receivers in the league can't wholly be blamed on him.  And FWIW, Terry was way better as a rookie when Haskins played more.  And not all of those great receivers have had the benefit of great quarterbacking throughout their careers.

The biggest thing that's not like the others when comparing Terry to Godwin/Evans/Brown/Jefferson/Thielen/Adams/Diggs/Beasley/Hopkins/Green/Jones/Brown/Beckam/Landry/Metcalf/Lockett is that they've piled up All Pro and Probowl selections in their careers.  Terry hasn't earned that kind of esteem or hardware yet.  Our fanbase is hoping he gets there, but it acts like he already has and it is pure, irrational homerism.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Haskins started six games last season, I realize he's the scapegoat for everything that went wrong last year, but Terry's lack of production relative to the top receivers in the league can't wholly be blamed on him.  And FWIW, Terry was way better as a rookie when Haskins played more.  And not all of those great receivers have had the benefit of great quarterbacking throughout their careers.

The biggest thing that's not like the others when comparing Terry to Godwin/Evans/Brown/Jefferson/Thielen/Adams/Diggs/Beasley/Hopkins/Green/Jones/Brown/Beckam/Landry/Metcalf/Lockett is that they've piled up All Pro and Probowl selections in their careers.  Terry hasn't earned that kind of esteem or hardware yet.  Our fanbase is hoping he gets there, but it acts like he already has and it is pure, irrational homerism.

Half of those are not even in their prime anymore. Stop.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I’d say that saying Beasley is in the same hemisphere as McLaurin is whatever the opposite of homerism is. 

Though, to a minor agreement with you… anyone saying Terry is the best receiver in football is way too far ahead of themselves. 

He’s better than Jarvis, too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KDawg said:

I’d say that saying Beasley is in the same hemisphere as McLaurin is whatever the opposite of homerism is. 

Though, to a minor agreement with you… anyone saying Terry is the best receiver in football is way too far ahead of themselves. 

He’s better than Jarvis, too. 

Beasley made an All Pro team, put up 10 AV, and was the second best weapon in a top five offense that made it to their conference championship game.  It sounds outlandish exactly because this fanbase takes a level of greatness that Terry has simply not achieved yet for granted.  It's not at all outlandish to admit that Beasley was better and more valuable than him last season.  Will that continue?  Hopefully not, but Terry has to outdo him on the field first before we can say that he's better.

Jarvis Landry made five Probowls, including the Probowl in 2019.  Terry does not have anywhere near that kind of resume yet.  He's also only three years younger than Landry.  Terry is going to be 26 at the start of the season, he's not exactly a 22 year old prodigy on the cusp of becoming the best receiver in the league like Metcalf and Jefferson and Brown.

I love Terry and seem like a hater for being honest about his value and achievement to date.  The point of this is to show that this fanbase heavily overrates our players.  It's natural to an extent, but it has gotten way out of hand with Terry.

• Thumb down 1

Giant eye rolls and LOL’s to anyone saying Cole Beasley is better than Terry… Football is a team sport, without context, comparisons of individual players is meaningless. 

You can say fans overrate Terry, that is fair. But you lose credibility when you take it too far.  No way on Earth that CB is better than Terry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Citing Beasley as an all pro is laugh out loud ridiulous and completely disingenuous.

Here's the list of receivers definitively better than Terry, right now, this season, today:

Adams, Tyreek, Hopkins, Jefferson, Ridley, Metcalf, Diggs, Brown, Julio, Keenan.

Every single one them has had QB play leagues better than Terry has sniffed and it's not debatable.

Terry's tier includes Lamb, Cooper, Robinson, Thielan, Godwin, Evans, Aiyuk.

Only Aiyuk and Robinson have had similarly poor Quarterbacking.

The tier(s) below:

Golladay, Gallup, Moore, Thomas (nuts), AB, Kupp, Woods, Deebo, Lockett, Claypool, Diontae, Higgins, Landry, Beckham, Hilton, Cooks, Sutton, Jeudy

So he's already in the top half of the league, and of that top half, 6-8 will befalling off within the next season or two.

He's one of the best receivers in the league.  Period, the end.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Beasley made an All Pro team, put up 10 AV, and was the second best weapon in a top five offense that made it to their conference championship game.  It sounds outlandish exactly because this fanbase takes a level of greatness that Terry has simply not achieved yet for granted.  It's not at all outlandish to admit that Beasley was better and more valuable than him last season.  Will that continue?  Hopefully not, but Terry has to outdo him on the field first before we can say that he's better.

Jarvis Landry made five Probowls, including the Probowl in 2019.  Terry does not have anywhere near that kind of resume yet.  He's also only three years younger than Landry.  Terry is going to be 26 at the start of the season, he's not exactly a 22 year old prodigy on the cusp of becoming the best receiver in the league like Metcalf and Jefferson and Brown.

I love Terry and seem like a hater for being honest about his value and achievement to date.  The point of this is to show that this fanbase heavily overrates our players.  It's natural to an extent, but it has gotten way out of hand with Terry.

Imagine quoting pro bowls from a guy who has played 5 extra seasons and an laughable all pro selection from a slot receiver who's parents are probably his siblings.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terry would have made the Pro Bowl last year had he not gotten the high ankle sprain. He tried to gut it out and missed the Carolina game toward the end of the season. His receiving numbers were nuts through the 2nd Dallas game with Haskins/Allen/Smith throwing to him. 

@stevemcqueen1 citing Beasley's All Pro bid is a joke, especially because he doesn't understand how he got the All Pro nod (one voter voted for him).

National media reactions to Bills’ Cole Beasley being named All-Pro (usatoday.com)

• Like 2