Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

And so the cycle of a young QB in the revolving head coach OC playbook carousel, begins.

While ditching Jays Shakespearean play calls may lend to Haskins doing better with a new playbook, I for one am skeptical.

But its not just Haskins of course, No young QB thrives with a new coaching staff and playbook every year, but they do always take the full blame if he doesn't live up to expectations.

I would like to keep KOC around but it seems like Norval Jr may have the inside track.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Is Kevin O'Connell really going to be that much of a loss if we hire someone else?  

As long as we hire someone good for the job, I don't think so.  He could be the next genius and it still wouldn't be some catastrophic loss.  Plenty of people are capable of running a good offense.  Candidates like Shurmur are proven commodity as an OC and sounds like Scott Turner is highly regarded by Rivera.

If all things were equal, you might prefer the familiarity and continuity of the existing OC, but coordinator change isn't going to make or break a player's career.

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 1

I can see Rivera in part wanting to keep KOC because he wants a fast start, and offensive continuity can help with that (especially for a young qb).  I am a little surprised he’s willing to wait on O’Connell though - playing second fiddle as it were.  Maybe the Redskins rushing for over 200 against the Panthers made an impression. :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MariusVT said:

If McD goes to Giants I'd absolutely block the interview with KOC because F Mara.

McDaniels is from OH so chances are he accepts the Brown's job.  If the Giants were to give him a huge amount of money and authority he might accept their HC job but I got a feeling that he wants to be closer to home and accepts the Brown's job.  Just guessing. :) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

And so the cycle of a young QB in the revolving head coach OC playbook carousel, begins.

This is why I can agree with those who say we shouldnt have drafted the guy. This was obviously going to happen. We all knew going into the season that Gruden was done, and I think Bruce did too. The worst things you could do to a rookie QB in no particular order are putting him in too early without preparation, pairing him with a coach who doesnt want him, drafting him to a team with no weapons and no defense, changing up the coaches or coordinators every season and a QB controversy. We did all that **** and it was basically the plan from the start. 

WHY 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

McDaniels is from OH so chances are he accepts the Brown's job.  If the Giants were to give him a huge amount of money and authority he might accept their HC job but I got a feeling that he wants to be closer to home and accepts the Brown's job.  Just guessing. :) 

Yeesh, what a mess to walk into.

Lots of talented headcases, rookies with potential and an angry disgruntled fanbase.

Wait are we talking about JMc or RR?..... ;)

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The suspense is killing me.

I'm dying to find out who our offensive coordinator is going to be.

If nothing else at least all this makes the offseason interesting again. 

Nobody wants to work with Haskins in all likelihood including KOC. So we have to wait for someone really desperate... 😂

Dude it’s been a week. Most staffs are filled out at the Senior Bowl. We are not behind.

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

While ditching Jays Shakespearean play calls may lend to Haskins doing better with a new playbook,...

1:  Alas poor Gruden, I knew him well!

2:  But still,... what light through yonder defense breaks?

3:  OC, OC, where for art thou, OC?

5:  Now is the off-season of our discontent!

And so on and so forth...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Nobody wants to work with Haskins in all likelihood including KOC. So we have to wait for someone really desperate... 😂

Dude it’s been a week. Most staffs are filled out at the Senior Bowl. We are not behind.

What exactly did you read?

You literally read whatever your mind wanted to read, interpreted it the way your mind wanted to and formulated a response based on the conclusions of your assumptions. 

All I said was the suspense is killing me.

I didn't say we were behind or that nobody wanted to work with haskins, nor did I imply any of those things.

Edited by redskinss
  • Thanks 1

Last open job is the Browns.  Would be weird to me if KOC leaves here for the chance to coach Baker Mayfield and the only organization even more toxic than us.

7 minutes ago, boston skins fan said:

The giants hired Joe Judge WR coach from the Pats.  Does he have any ties to KOC?

He was also their Special Teams coordinator.  I don't think he has any ties to KOC.

5 hours ago, skinzplay said:

O'Connell might well be one of the most self-promoting guys I've ever seen, and the exaggerations about the demand for his services are really amusing. It's funny how he and Cooley can get info out there, and it makes the twitter rounds with these pseudo-journalists. When he was QB Coach on our staff, he had rumors circulating among the same brain dead twitter jockies that Chip Kelly really wanted him as OC at UCLA. Translation: Self-promotion with a dose of "gonna lose the next McVay" tossed in for good measure. That wasn't even close to being the case. Chip wouldn't even put him on the official staff in SF after O'Connell lobbied his way into that gig with the 49ers. Dude was just "special projects". He made the rounds at the Senior Bowl that year and nobody bit. Not even McDaniels, who was fully entrenched as OC in NE. And O'Connell wasn't part of the proposed coaching staff for McDaniels in Indy in 2018, either. But they're cosmically aligned and so close......

Rivera should just cut this guy loose now and tell him he's free to pursue all those other offers that he would have us believe are out there, like in Miami (who chose Chan Gailey), Chicago (who fired their OC but had no interest in O'Connell), or San Diego (ditto). But he has options.......

Can you please provide proof of your statements?  I admit I am not on twitter. It's a stain on society. However, there are plenty of guys on here that are and I have not seen anything resembling your comments as being accurate. Where is your proof that "he" had rumors circulating.....  

Also, I asked before and you did not/could not provide proof that other coaches found it "disturbing" that he was given the OC position. There was also a narrative from you that no one else actually wanted him, but I have seen posts from @Skinsinparadise - who I trust probably to a fault - that Josh McDaniels has KOC on his list of assistants he wants if he leaves NE for HC job. So of the 3 statements, we have verifiable evidence one of them is false.

I strongly suspect the others are false also but am very open to being wrong with facts to back it up. What you are accusing him of is some pretty egregious stuff. But I have seen no evidence of him using nefarious methods to get ahead or making up false narratives to promote himself. For the life of me I can't fathom what he has done to you personally for you make up this kind of stuff - unless of course you have proof.

BTW: I have no vested interest in KOC at all. He is very short on experience but showed some promise towards the end. Ultimately I want who Ron R wants - period. If he wants KOC then I will trust him. If he lets him go I will lose zero sleep over it as again I plan to trust Ron until he proves to me I shouldn't.

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Also, I asked before and you did not/could not provide proof that other coaches found it "disturbing" that he was given the OC position. There was also a narrative from you that no one else actually wanted him, but I have seen posts from @Skinsinparadise - who I trust probably to a fault - that Josh McDaniels has KOC on his list of assistants he wants if he leaves NE for HC job. So of the 3 statements, we have verifiable evidence one of them is false.

As for the O'Connell-McDaniels connection -- Hoffman, Keim, Breer.  Hoffman said its not 100% that he leaves with McDaniels but it's tempting for him to do it. 

Breer, who is pretty reliable

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/06/cowboys-hire-mike-mccarthy-head-coach-nfl-news-notes

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is positioned well now, with interviews scheduled for tomorrow with the Panthers in Boston, Wednesday with the Giants in Jersey and Friday with the Browns in his native Northeast Ohio. The key word for McDaniels will be the same one you heard Browns owner Jimmy Haslam use over and over again: Alignment. I don’t think McDaniels will go to a place where the organization is splintered and set up in silos, and I don’t think that’s about it control. Moreso, it’s about what I think he believes works. That said, he’s very much ready to leave New England, having lined up key assistants like Redskins OC Kevin O’Connell and Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon to play major roles on his staff.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the O'Connell-McDaniels connection -- Hoffman, Keim, Breer.  Hoffman said its not 100% that he leaves with McDaniels but it's tempting for him to do it. 

Breer, who is pretty reliable

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/06/cowboys-hire-mike-mccarthy-head-coach-nfl-news-notes

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is positioned well now, with interviews scheduled for tomorrow with the Panthers in Boston, Wednesday with the Giants in Jersey and Friday with the Browns in his native Northeast Ohio. The key word for McDaniels will be the same one you heard Browns owner Jimmy Haslam use over and over again: Alignment. I don’t think McDaniels will go to a place where the organization is splintered and set up in silos, and I don’t think that’s about it control. Moreso, it’s about what I think he believes works. That said, he’s very much ready to leave New England, having lined up key assistants like Redskins OC Kevin O’Connell and Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon to play major roles on his staff.

I was addressing more that he was wanted by someone more than if he would actually leave for that job or even be formally offered. My point was that despite the opposite claims there is at least one potential HC that is interested.

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I was addressing more that he was wanted by someone more than if he would actually leave for that job or even be formally offered. My point was that despite the opposite claims there is at least one potential HC that is interested.

I think I got your angle?   My point is I think the McDaniels interest is likely genuine.  Ditto Chip Kelly's interest in him at UCLA previously.   There was plenty of smoke on both fronts.

Supposedly, Dan was very interested in keeping O'Connell because he hates losing his young and up-comers to other teams.  I think the mystery is what does Rivera think of O'Connell.  Some here make a good point that O'Connell might not be Rivera's kind of guy because he values experience.  Hoffman (if I recall Finlay, too) seemed to allude that Rivera wants to keep him (after he was interviewed) but I don't recall how I got that impression so maybe I am mis-recalling it or they are just guessing. 

But my point I think it's a plausible theory that it's O'Connell who wants to leave.  Hoffman who seems the closest to him among the beat guys has been saying that from the outset and the main thing being that he's close to McDaniels.  He also said he has some other opportunities too but the McDaniels one is the most intriguing to him.  Will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

I know this was said in jest but probably some truth to it, we know Danny is going to hamstring the staff with his chosen one and the body of work is NOT good and there are known work ethic and attitude issues.  Would I want to strap my cart to that horse knowing when it goes wrong, Danny will roll on me rather than admit his pick was a turd?  Nahhhhhhhhh