Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

1 minute ago, Master Blaster said:

I’m all aboard the Shurmur train. Been interested since I heard he was out in NY but wasn’t sure he would take an OC position. 

Rivera/Shurmur/Del Rio is a strong group of experienced, knowledgeable coaches who have gotten it done. 

Shurmer has taken OC or TE from HC a few times already. It's interesting that he keeps getting opportunities. He has spent a lot of time in the Eagles organization. My question would be is he going to jump into another HC job in a year or so if he comes here? He has already done that a few times. I have no problem with someone wanting to improve themselves but if I am Ron R I want someone who is committed to staying here in position at least 3 or 4 seasons to create the culture and stability this franchise is missing. Changing coordinators every year or so is not very conducive to that. 

I still think it's someone who is not available yet. He does not strike me as someone who over thinks things. He lays a plan and executes. He at the very least wants to talk to someone not able to interview yet. Otherwise I really think we would have an announcement. It may still be someone available if say the interview does not go well. But there is no other reason to not make an announcement. 

I was not rooting for or against KOC. He surely lacks experience but there are a lot of behind the scenes intangibles that we have no idea about. Also, he started out not having much authority and then gained more and you saw the offense get better. But it is a very small sample size. So ultimately if Ron wants him then fine. If not, then I can easily see that too. It's not like my opinion matters at all anyway. 

But I have to admit that after seeing how this thread has gone, I am kind of hoping KOC gets the job. The entertainment value in this and the welcome KOC thread alone would be worth it. Can someone please pass the popcorn! 

image.png.57797269cfbb1ce0e4bdb85e33ded2b5.png

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-offensive-coordinator-changes-norv-turner-out-pat-shurmur-in/

Vikings offensive coordinator changes: Norv Turner out, Pat Shurmur in

After two-plus seasons, Turner resigns and Shurmur is named the interim OC

Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner has resigned, the team announced on Wednesday. Tight ends coach Pat Shurmur will serve as Turner's interim replacement.

A short time later, Turner issued this statement: "I have tremendous respect for [head coach] Mike Zimmer, our coaching staff, and our players and at this time I think it is in the best interest of the team to step down. I thank the Wilf family for my time here in Minnesota and want to see our players and coaches achieve success."

During a midday press conference, Zimmer said he "was very, very surprised" when he learned of Turner's resignation.

...Meanwhile, Bradford is quite familiar with Shurmur. He was Bradford's offensive coordinator in St. Louis and Philadelphia, and that relationship certainly helped immerse him in Turner's offense when he arrived in Minnesota just before the season opener. Whether that's enough to fix things in the middle of the year is another matter, particularly since this offense has issues up and down the lineup.

Per Monk's point about Turner being a common theme.  Life comes in circles For Dan 😀  Just about around the 20th anniversary of this. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 12.35.16 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/mcdaniels-coaching-staff-if-took-hc-position

What Would Josh McDaniels' Staff Look Like If He Took Head-Coaching Gig?

The MMQB's Albert Breer wrote about McDaniels' coaching staff plan earlier this week. Here's what he had to say:

"If you don’t believe McDaniels is ready to leave New England for a head coaching job, look no further than the detailed plan he has for staffing. Redskins offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell is on his list, along with Colts secondary coach Jonathan Gannon, who coached in Indianapolis the last two years because he was on McDaniels’s Ohio-heavy Colts staff list. To get the Cleveland native Gannon this time around, McDaniels would, presumably, have to make him defensive coordinator."

Breer also said he thinks, if structured right, that McDaniels would take either the Browns or Panthers job as their next head coach. He also mentioned that while McDaniels would like to have Kevin O'Connell on his staff, it may be hard to pull him away from the Redskins now that Ron Rivera has become the head coach in Washington. 

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/mcdaniels-coaching-staff-if-took-hc-position

What Would Josh McDaniels' Staff Look Like If He Took Head-Coaching Gig?

Breer also said he thinks, if structured right, that McDaniels would take either the Browns or Panthers job as their next head coach. He also mentioned that while McDaniels would like to have Kevin O'Connell on his staff, it may be hard to pull him away from the Redskins now that Ron Rivera has become the head coach in Washington. 

Yeah I've been saying this echoing what Craig Hoffman keeps saying who seems to know O'Connell well which is the competition for him is likely from McDaniels. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, onedrop said:

so for the sake of one argument KOC has really only been in charge of a few games and you define him as too inexperienced. yet when it suits the current situation you want the whole years stats laid at his door? 

The other poster posted his stats for his best 5 games. They were lower than the season average. No tangible metrics make KOC look good. That’s why we have the 2nd overall pick . It was a crappy year all around. He has no other experience than that. It’s not difficult guys. Ron likes proven history and experience listen to his words. Look at his hires. We will see how this plays out in the next few days regardless.

And if KOC is the OC, I am rooting for him. I honestly want us to win and nothing else. We all get into it in these threads, but whoever is here after all this is a die hard. It’s ok to have different opinions.

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I've been saying this echoing what Craig Hoffman keeps saying who seems to know O'Connell well which is the competition for him is likely from McDaniels. 

i think the biggest thing is that he's under contract as the Skins OC this year so RR could just retain him regardless of what McDaniel's does.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

i think the biggest thing is that he's under contract as the Skins OC this year so RR could just retain him regardless of what McDaniel's does.

Hoffman said (don't know how accurate he is) that it's somewhat protocol to allow an assistant to leave if they want to do so even if they are under contract. 

• Like 1

Just now, HigSkin said:

Are you going to shed light on the stats you provided? Did I misread them? I’m honestly curious how you got 4000 plus yards in a season based on the numbers you posted?

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman said (don't know how accurate he is) that it's somewhat protocol to allow an assistant to leave if they want to do so even if they are under contract. 

Then if allowed in the NFL the team that McDaniels is hired to give up a draft pick to secure KOC as his OC if RR is ready to move on from KOC to antother OC.  Just a thought.

It’s so hilarious some of you guys have the audacity to post fake stats and refuse to acknowledge them when called out on them then keep posting nonsense to knock the fake stats back in the thread. Don’t call anyone a troll when you can’t own your own posts. Have some integrity.

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Haha 1

HigSkin it's been looking that way to me too.  Well, Shurmer would be a good get but now maybe the focus comes back to Scott Turner if Shurmer pursues other opportunities.  It would be nice if the NFL had in place a deal to where if you allowed the individual under contract to lateral to another position that you give the team allowing him to leave while under contract a draft pick or picks to let him go to the team he wants to go to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Then if allowed in the NFL the team that McDaniels is hired to give up a draft pick to secure KOC as his OC if RR is ready to move on from KOC to antother OC.  Just a thought.

Tough for me to see compensation for a coordinator.  Has that ever happened? I can't think of an example but i'll think about it.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough for me to see compensation for a coordinator.  Has that ever happened? I can't think of an example but i'll think about it.

Don't think so and don't know but when you have a OC under contract and he's wanting to leave to go to another team I think a rule like the Jon Gruden rule for coordinators should be in place.  Your OC leaves and you get nothing in return.  Maybe this can be looked at the NFL meetings.

51 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I'm inclined to be more on the side of @SoCalSkins.  I don't believe I've ever agreed with him before, so this is kidnof a first.  :P 

I guess I would be ok in either scenario.  If Ronny R. decides it is most important to have stability for Haskins' development, ok. 

However, there's nothing KOC has done as an OC which has been "WOW." He's not Golden Boy McVay.  The pass offense was stank before and after Gruden was fired. You can give him a complete pass if you like because Gruden was calling plays, and then Callahan wanted to run the ball 97 times a game.  Fine.  But in that case, what has he actually achieved?  6 quarters of good football from Haskins?

If they find a really good, established QB guru type OC, fine.  If not, fine.  There are pluses and minuses to this decision.  Which is why I think this is taking so long.

Here's the other thing: I know that stability is key for Haskins so he doesn't have to learn a new language.  HOWEVA.  In theory, a new OC comes in and actually tailors the offense around Haskins, and I doubt that new OC will be here for just one year.  JC had a new OC just about every year.  But since this is Ron's first year of probably 4 or 5 at the minimum, my guess is there will be stability from this point forward.  If you like a different guy, then go with him, and be done with.  

No one disputes that KOC is inexperienced.  

People have their opinion on whether KOC can be good in the future.  There's no way to prove one's position on this obviously.

People like me and others have a problem with the assertion that only way Rivera keeps KOC is if he is forced to by Snyder.  There's no evidence to suggest that such meddling by Snyder would be the only reason for Rivera to keep him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

No one disputes that KOC is inexperienced.  

People have their opinion on whether KOC can be good in the future.  There's no way to prove one's position on this obviously.

People like me and others have a problem with the assertion that only way Rivera keeps KOC is if he is forced to by Snyder.  There's no evidence to suggest that such meddling by Snyder would be the only reason for Rivera to keep him.

This I agree with.  And I'm absolutely sure in the 35 hours in the freezer Dan and Ron spent together, KOC was a topic of conversation, and both men left knowing what the plan was. 

If not, I'm not sure what the hell they could talk about for 35 hours.  The price of tea in China?

• Like 1

Just now, Peregrine said:

He cant leave unless we let him out of his contract.  If Ron Rivera is half the HC everyone claims he is, surely he can convince a reluctant but under contract OC to stay for his first season in charge.

We don't know if KOC is reluctant, or if Ron wants him.  

And there is no way Ron is going to force him to stay.  If he wants out, he's going to let him out.  He's more of the "coach Joe" philisiphy than Bruce.  Joe famously said, if you don't want to be here, come see me and I'll find a way to get you out of here.  He did it for whatshisname in exchange for Santana Moss.  

I don't know if Ron would be willing to just release KOC to go work for McDaniels, or if he would try and work out some type of compensation, but first McDaniels has to get hired before that comes to pass.

If KOC just says, "I want out.  I will go coach in college." I'm sure Ron would thank him and he would be gone.  

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And there is no way Ron is going to force him to stay.  If he wants out, he's going to let him out.  He's more of the "coach Joe" philisiphy than Bruce.  Joe famously said, if you don't want to be here, come see me and I'll find a way to get you out of here.  He did it for whatshisname in exchange for Santana Moss.  

I don't know if Ron would be willing to just release KOC to go work for McDaniels, or if he would try and work out some type of compensation, but first McDaniels has to get hired before that comes to pass.

If KOC just says, "I want out.  I will go coach in college." I'm sure Ron would thank him and he would be gone.  

He wouldn’t need permission to go to college but the rest is pretty spot on. 

Laverneus Coles was the whatshisname.

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I can easily see Ron coercing him to stay.  If Ron wants him, he will most likely stay, even if he "wants out".  Its also incredibly unlikely a guy who was QB coach last season willingly under Jay Gruden, is going to turn down the opportunity to spend just 1 year at OC under a coach everyone is telling him is really highly respected to go coach in college.  Good leaders dont force, they motivate.  They make their followers WANT to do what the leader wants.

KOC cant force his way out anywhere, thats absurd.

7 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

The dude has done nothing. Zero. Called 11 games in his life: 32nd ranked passing offense. Second worst record in the NFL. A bust as a QB when he played. Lasted 1 year. Nothing special about him.  You only care about him because Haskins likes the way he coddles him and doesn’t challenge him.  Ron is going to hire a coach not an enabler...

I heard this song and dance before!  Seriously! At least change it up some. Lol

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HigSkin said:

This is pure gold. O'Connell is holding out for the Patriots OC post now??? 😂😂😂 He and Cooley have quite a few of the local folks completely spellbound. I'll keep an eye on the JD Power & Associates twitter feed and let you know when they've named O'Connell the highest rated p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶r̶u̶c̶k̶  offensive coordinator of the decade.

Edited by skinzplay
Edited to remove image from the tweet.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

This is pure gold. O'Connell is holding out for the Patriots OC post now??? 😂😂😂 He and Cooley have quite a few of the local folks completely spellbound. I'll keep an eye on the JD Power & Associates twitter feed and let you know when they've named O'Connell the highest rated p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶r̶u̶c̶k̶  offensive coordinator of the decade.

No, I'm pretty sure he's holding out for the Brown's OC position if McDaniels is hired there