Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

I personally don't give a **** about ANYONE on the previous regime leaving.  There is not ONE person that deserves to stay based on performance.

Just because Haskins started to not look like the biggest bust in the NFL after 5 games, to progressing a little bit, does not mean Oconell is a HOF coach.  Did everyone forget how anemic the offense was the past years without Cousins?

• Like 5

Am listening to Grant and Danny this whole time while I've been posting.  I don't think they've been that hard on the subject.  Among other things, they love Rivera.  Their point seems to be about ensuring Haskins development.  And in defense of that point, Haskins has been outspoken in liking O'Connell and wanting him to stay. 

I am not one of the few O'Connell haters here.  If it's all about the stats this season then the Scott Turner is a lemon hire, too.  Context matters.  I do think his reputation which seems to be good is based on genuine reasons. 

I am ok with Rivera hiring people he knows that he's comfortable with.  It's his coaching staff.  I don't think we've gotten one shake our heads type of hire yet.  I might change my mind if that happens but so far I am ok with it.

The sample size for Scott IMO is too small to be excited about or down about with much substance.  But in theory, I like the idea of young offensive coordinator who wants to make his mark who comes from good pedigree.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am listening to Grant and Danny this whole time while I've been posting.  I don't think they've been that hard on the subject.  Among other things, they love Rivera.  Their point seems to be about ensuring Haskins development.  And in defense of that point, Haskins has been outspoken in liking O'Connell and wanting him to stay. 

I didn't realize G&D have developerd NFL QB's before.  

They don't know jack **** about his development or whether or not this will hinder his development.  

• Like 5

Just now, purbeast said:

They don't know jack **** about his development or whether or not this will hinder his development.  

They were the same guys who credited Gruden with bringing in assistants with talent who could possibly take over his job. You know... guys like Greg Manusky when you could have had Wade Philips a few years ago.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It's a radio talk show, its about editorial-entertainment.  It's not a news station.  Their job in part is to give their opinion and get people riled up on both sides of the debate. 

If its about whether they have direct experience in any sport then they along with almost every radio talk show guy should shut down.   Ditto most of the talking head shows in sports, too. 

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

They were the same guys who credited Gruden with bringing in assistants with talent who could possibly take over his job. You know... guys like Greg Manusky when you could have had Wade Philips a few years ago.

They actually blasted Jay for bypassing Phillips.  they even hammered Jay on his defensive coordinator choices in the interview he did with them after he was fired.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a radio talk show, its about editorial-entertainment.  It's not a news station.  Their job in part is to give their opinion and get people riled up on both sides of the debate. 

If its about whether they have direct experience in any sport then they along with almost every radio talk show guy should shut down.   Ditto most of the talking head shows in sports, too. 

I agree, but the way they are acting like they just got rid of Bill Belicheck and replaced him with Jim Zorn and anointing Haskins as a bust since he won't be able to develop now is cringeworthy.  

Edited by purbeast

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not a news station.  Their job in part is to give their opinion and get people riled up on both sides of the debate. 

Sounds like ES'ers. 🤣

• Like 1

Well that was a long dragged out dance to get to the inevitable.

Rivera is in charge. Fair enough. Seemed like KOC was keen to get out, probably sensed the tides were drastically changing. 

End of the Day, KOC or Turner, is may well be a wash. Rivera gets his guy which I'm fine with. Continue the cleanse.

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Pure speculation but do you think that Ken Zampese will help Scott Turner mentoring him or do you think that Ken is an excellent teacher who will bring Haskins along in this new O.  Also, do you think we will need to build a very strong, solid O Line for Turner's O to click on all cylinders?

Ken's father is Ernie who was a legendary offensive play caller.  Ernie worked for Coryell.  If I recall he knew Gibbs well, might have worked with him?  He took over the Cowboys play calling in Dallas when Norv left.

Arguably Zampese has more pedigree than Scott.  So I think they'd work well together and they have in common that they both have legendary play calling fathers.

As for the O line, yeah I guess will see.  If they bring Trent and Scherff back I think its pretty good.   It's not a hot FA market for O line IMO and the draft would be difficult as well to address it unless they trade down. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They actually blasted Jay for bypassing Phillips.  they even hammered Jay on his defensive coordinator choices in the interview he did with them after he was fired.   

This was late last week. They were saying they were happy about the Rivera hiring, but almost romanticizing Gruden saying stuff like "He wasn't afraid to bring in coaches who could potentially take his job" and all I could think was "Wha hunh... ?"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I agree, but the way they are acting like they just got rid of Bill Belicheck and replaced him with Jim Zorn and anointing Haskins as a bust since he won't be able to develop now is cringeworthy.  

I was listening to them on my way home and at least at that point, they weren't going that far off the deep end.  There is some credence to being concerned with Haskins moving on to a new coordinator.  It's not like they are the only ones thinking such a thing.  KOC is highly thought of around the league, from everything I've read, heard, etc.  I think a lot of fans had hoped that KOC would be part of the Ron Rivera package, for Haskins stability & the fact that he's thought of us as a bright up and comer.  Part of that I'm sure is being snake-bitten from McVay's departure, but it's not insane to be skeptical of both KOC leaving and Scott Turner's minimal experience as an OC taking the job.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I hear you.  I am not discounting your take here.  I am just saying if they are getting you angry about it, they probably ironically like it since that's what some of these guys are trying to do.  The worst thing for a radio show is people being bored -- so love-hate is what they want. 

I far from love all their takes.   I do have a soft spot for them for one reason which is they arguably where the biggest Bruce bashers on talk radio.  I thought their Bruce anniversary show was a classic.

I know Danny wasn't a big Jay guy and he talked about how he got blocked by Jay's son on twitter.  Grant was cooler about Jay but didn't love him.  they both really love Rivera so i think they've been mostly positive of late. 

But yeah I get anyone getting annoyed at some of their takes.  Like Sheehan when they have an opinion they push it like its the truth. 

I like what's going on at Redskins Park- feels like professional football is coming back to Washington!

And by the way, to you guys that give all the updates- mostly SIP- you guys are awesome! Who the hell needs to turn on the NFL Network or ESPN when I can come to ES and get readily updates- Thanks fellas!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

So unless Albert Breer is a liar, Ron never wanted KOC. Deal with it.

I preferred keeping KOC but I think Ill be just fine, Im happy with whatever Rivera wants to do. Unlike you.

You complained about KOCs 1 year of experience and how the offense performed. So now you are okay with Scott Turner who has less experience and a worse performing offense?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1