Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

No KOC could point to RR not feeling invested in DH.  That is something i wanted ironed out with the new coach before he was hired. Will his fate  be tethered to Haskins, or not.

It seems like DH and KOC were tied together to some degree. And Rivera did speak of vet QBs at his thanksgiving presser, which struck me as rather odd and was a tell that Dan is giving him choices. It appears to me the push is continuing towards mobile QBs, vs the 3 year grooming projects of pure pocket passers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This was the likely outcome given that Rivera has guys that he's comfortable with from CAR.   KOC was an outsider from the old regime.  Sucks for Haskins development, but it is what it is.  Here's hoping that Haskins continues his progression from the end of the season and is able to grasp Turner's offense quickly

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So koc isn't pardof the team at all now?

Yup. Kevin O'Connell amicably departs as Redskins hire Scott Turner as OC.

I am little surprised Scott doesn't have a bad feeling about the Skins since Dan canned his dad. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 4

Turner spent a lot of time working with the rook Teddy Bridgewater, and then made the playoffs a year later.

Otherwise his resume of working with young QBs seems kind of thin.  Nervous Norval will have some input into our future, me thinks. I wonder if Alex will be the defacto QB coach for Dwayne.

I’m fairly happy with our new OC over KOC. You could say continuity is important but that only goes so far with a guy who hasn’t proved anything yet. What has KOC proven. Last year the offense was Grudens and this year you could say the offense was handicapped. I think Haskins development was on him not Kevin. 

Look at McVay, he went to the Rams and worked with a second year young QB Goff, who many thought was a bust after his first year and turned him into an pro bowler. Who’s to say Turner can’t do the same. I like his pedigree better than KOC. You can’t argue that Norv was one of the best offensive coordinators during his time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I mean yes, Rivera has the power but damn, KOC couldn't pick/have imput on any of the offensive staff?

Apparently he’s got a vision of exactly what he wants and how he wants it to happen. Or, he was trying to put people in place for KOC eventually leaving that HE could trust to stay around. Which is what I would do. And KOC didn’t like it. 

There are a lot of ways it could have gone down. This is where I would appreciate some transparency. But atleast it isn’t ugly. Past Redskins organizations would have not let him leave and forced it on him and we know how that would have turned out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yanno...Steve Spurrier's eldest song is a WR coach........might as well go the full 9 if we're bringing in the kids of fired coaches. Maybe try to bring in Brian Schottenheimer for some position.

Maybe Dave McKenna's son can replace Larry Michael?

4 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I don’t like the move.  People are calling us the Washington Panthers.  OConell built some good chemistry with Dwayne.  No matter what happens I think he was the better choice.

Woul you prefer we're called the Jetskins again?

• Sad 1

The Washington Redskins are hiring Scott Turner to serve as their offensive coordinator, two people with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday.

Turner, the son of former Redskins coach Norv Turner, worked with his father and new Redskins coach Ron Rivera the past two seasons with the Carolina Panthers, meaning Rivera has chosen to put his offense in the hands of someone with whom he is comfortable. But in hiring Turner to replace Kevin O’Connell, Rivera is removing the coach most responsible for rookie Dwayne Haskins’s growth at the end of the season and forcing the quarterback to learn a second offense in two years.

Given that Haskins came to Washington with just 14 college starts and struggled early to grasp the enormous amount of information an NFL quarterback must handle, that he will have to learn a new system with new language — just as he started to show improvement in the old one — could be seen as a setback in his development.

Two years ago, Rivera hired Norv and Scott Turner to run the Carolina offense. Norv came in as coordinator, and Scott was the quarterbacks coach. Building around quarterback Cam Newton and running back Christian McCaffrey, the Panthers were 10th in the NFL at 373.2 yards per game in 2018. But injuries slowed Newton at the end of that season and kept him out of all but two games this season. After Rivera was fired in December, Norv Turner moved to a special offensive assistant role and Scott Turner took over as offensive coordinator and called plays.

...Scott Turner, 37, grew up watching his father serve as the offensive coordinator for Dallas’s Super Bowl teams in the early 1990s and then as the Redskins’ head coach in the second half of the decade. He was a star quarterback at Oakton High and a backup at UNLV before coaching high school football for five years. Rivera hired him as a quality control coach on his first staff with Carolina in 2011.

Turner then worked with his father in Cleveland and Minnesota and spent one season on his own at the University of Michigan before returning to the Panthers in 2018.

Norv Turner, whom Redskins owner Daniel Snyder fired in 2000, is not expected to join his son in Washington, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/07/kevin-oconnell-will-not-return-redskins-offensive-coordinator-scott-turner-likely/?utm_campaign=wp_sports&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Thanks 1