Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

41 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Haskins openly advocating the makeup of the coaching staff 

Did you even see the tweets from Chad Johnson and Haskins?  You really got Haskins "openly advocating the makeup of the coaching staff" from that?

On 1/1/2020 at 9:53 AM, Chris 44 said:

I like the fact that KO has to interview for the position. I also appreciate the fact that Rivera sees the benefits that continuity between KO and Haskins may be very important going forward. Makes perfect sense.

Sounds like KOC is gonna give Rivera a bunch of his ideas and free advice on Haskins in a bid to secure the job right before Rivera shows him the door.  I hope KOC didnt fall for that.  I've been there.  lol

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2020 at 11:27 AM, SoCalSkins said:

KOC called what 5 games? Giving him control to run the whole offense with a defensive minded head coach is a huge job. I would much rather have the dude who worked with Peyton Manning and improved QB play wherever he’s been and is a proven coach. 

How about the coach who worked with and helped improve Cam Newton's game? He also worked with RR at Carolina.

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

Ok - but how much of that 32nd ranked passing game is on KOC and how much is on Callahan, Haskins, supporting cast etc. Im fine either way and trust Ron in the decision but if KOC is kept I don't think its an obvious statement that Dan is putting pressure on Ron to keep him.

I think whomever ends up being the OC it will be solely a Ron Rivera decision.  And Im so happy about that.

I think KOC probably had to explain that to Rivera.  If Rivera is watching the tape and doesnt like what he saw, he didnt really know who was responsible for what.  At first KOC wasn't calling the plays, then when he was calling the plays, Old Man Callahan (and Haskins) was handcuffing him at first.  

Just playing the past association game of those who coached with Ron or were hired by Ron, then Chudzinski seems like the clubhouse OC candidate. Already available, Ron's first OC hire in 2011, came from San Diego together, has head coaching experience, both contemporaries.

When Ron speaks of teachers he must in part refer to Chudzinski designing an offense around Cam Newton, which back in 2011 was a highly talked about thing, as we ourselves witnessed 1st hand the next year with RG3 and young Shanny in 2012 with the Pistol, mesh point playaction & read-option, and similarly now in 2019 with Jackson up in Bmore. 

Contemporary NFL

Captain Ron ( Age 57 )                          Rob Chudzinski Age 51 ( ✓ )

*   = Played QB

‡   QB coach experience

+  = Coordinator experience 

✓  = Head Coaching experience

• Like 4

Todd Downing is under contract as the TEs coach in tennessee, he would need to be promoted to coordinator position here to be released from his current contract.

Scott Turner is under contract as the OC/QB in carolina, he would need to be released outright from his contract to be hired here, no lateral moves.

Jake Peetz is under contract as the RBs in carolina, he would need to be promoted to coordinator position here to be released from his current contract. 

Downing -- 39 ( ‡ + )

Turner -- 37 ( *  + ) 

Peetz -- 36 (  ) 

*   = Played QB

‡   QB coach experience

+  = Coordinator experience 

✓  = Head Coaching experience

There's something particularly unsavory about having either Norv and/or his son back in the fold in washington. Especially so if both. Don't really need any more father son duos for a little while, tbh (speaking for myself).

Not withstanding, it's obvious just looking cursorily here that this group fits into the O'Connell grouping of relatively young and green offensive assistants without much coordinator experience. In fact each of the older two having only one year, just like O'Connell, and Peetz having none. Likewise none having any head coaching experience. 

It's easy to say Chudzinski is far more qualified than this group.

Edited by Monk4thaHALL
  • Like 5

I'd like to see someone innovative and flexible. A coach who has the ability to cater to his teams strengths. We've all seen enough of the square peg/round hole.  One reason I liked KOC was that he was an "unknown." I imagined him to be a coach not yet necessarily married to an identity, who had nothing to prove that his method worked if it didn't. Where halftime adjustments could include a complete 180.

Now, I had no valid reason to imagine all of the things to be KOC. But I liked the idea 😊 

5 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jim Caldwell is one of the best offensive minds. He’s available. He’s a slam dunk. Ron as HC with Del Rio as DC and Caldwell as OC is a pretty formidable staff. 

How is Jim Caldwell one of the best offensive minds? From what I know he has only been an OC for approx one quarter of a season with the Ravens during their SB season in 2012. Other than that his background is WR and QB coach.  He was also 2-14 during the one season without Manning which was the worst record in the league and got fired. Doesn't seem like he has any more experience calling plays than KOC. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IrishRed64 said:

How about the coach who worked with and helped improve Cam Newton's game? He also worked with RR at Carolina.

Well, of course. That's what most board members did/do at their first opportunity after the confirmation of Rivera's hiring, by googleing his past coaches and past hires and earmarking the OCs, or truthfully, any of the offensive coaches, then regurgitating them here.

Dozens of posts simply stating "hey what about this OC from the 2011 carolina team, how bout that OC from the 2015 carolina team, Yo watch this space for the OC from 2019." They did the same with Del Rio's past OCs. Effective, if but lazy.

It's how you got a horde of zombies chanting Bieniemy's name on here because the lowest common denominator often is: "oh he's on a winning team, therefore he must be good." No mention of the hall of famer Andy Reid controlling the playbook. 

Everybody knows the NFL is about relationships and past connections. But as I intimated above, some of us are a little worn thin as we've just spent the last 4, 5 ... 10 years having to deal with cronyism, nepotism and past tampa connections. *Not saying that's the case here. 

I get it though, I do. There is a carolina connection. And that carolina connection yielded a superbowl trip within the last decade. 

I know people wanted to get out in front and call their own shot by naming everyone from Chudzinski to Shula as the OC target. Sure why not, since both were past OCs under Ron and Shula was the OC on the 2015 superbowl team, "so therefore ..."

It's the "so therefore" I have issue with.

Obviously want to have the most qualified person. Trouble is Shula would need to be released from his current contract to take the OC position here since there's no lateral moves (as I'm sure you already know). 

I wasted my time compiling a list of available coaches that interested me, personally, with coaches that I've been impressed with over the years, for different reasons. Not relying on the past staff connection quotient. For me that's fun. 

But yeah, easy money on the "worked together in the past in carolina route" because this Org knows how to play the past connection game really well, if it knows anything at all.

Not poo-poo'ing, really not. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL
  • Like 3

The Redskins are coming into this year with plenty of cap space. They have a top draft pick to choose or parlay for additional draft picks. And of course money to take advantage of free agency. That being said, Rivera said that he'll be looking for a veteran QB. He didn't say whether that QB will start but I am definitely in agreement with bringing in a productive QB. As a matter of fact, there is a boat load of UFA QBs in the market this year. I wonder which QB they'll pursue?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

Keep in mind that Rivera is looking to win a Superbowl sooner than later.

Edited by joeken24
add

Forget about the OC and KOC. I wanted to hear more about his meetings with Gibbs and how it influenced him to take this job. The fact that Gibbs was still doing X and O made me smile. :)

So Gibbs to the rescue again to help this storied franchise. I really hope Rivera can make it good here. 

The only thing i didn't like to hear was how Dan had laid out the plan to win when he hasn't been able to do that for the last 20+ years. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, zskins said:

The only thing i didn't like to hear was how Dan had laid out the plan to win when he hasn't been able to do that for the last 20+ years. 

But he studied the league and learned that all he had to do was hire the next Bill Belichick.

It's a simple plan.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Not without pressure to do so in my opinion. I could see him making him QB coach but not handing him the offense with only the single year of experience. 

I was mistaken, a quadruple face palm isn't nearly enough to capture the genius of your arguments and intimate knowledge of what Ron Rivera is thinking.

• Haha 2

The enthusiasm for O'Connell on this board has always really intrigued me. I've never understood it, especially when people here were mentioning him as a preferred interim HC, or musing that he would quickly be on the market as a HC. Based on what? I just didn't/don't see it. He has potential, but still needs time. It was always so odd to read those posts when O'Connell had never really done anything in the league before arriving at Ashburn, and with the Skins he hadn't really accomplished anything of note, either. Was the enthusiasm for him because of his local roots? Do people think that just because he's young, he's the next Boy Wonder or Kyle? Was it a George-Tony kinda thing like that Seinfeld episode?

Rivera has now taken over a franchise that has long been synonymous with losing and dysfunction. To shore up the D, he turned to Del Rio. To shore up the offense, he's going to turn over the reins to someone who doesn't even have a full season of experience as an OC calling plays? I've said it before, I like the young man and I really hope he is able to make strides as an OC, but the thought that he was somehow the next McVay or Kyle is something I always found a bit far-fetched. Beyond the DC media (replete with its pseudo-journalist Constanzas who want to go rock climbing with Tony), where has anyone read that O'Connell is a HC or OC candidate for any teams with a vacancy this off-season? Last off-season? The off-season before that? There was radio silence about him before he popped up in Ashburn after Morocco Brown's intervention. If the only gig he can get is with Josh McDaniels (some here have mentioned an interest from McDaniels), that doesn't really say much. It's like Matt Patricia being Belichik's DC.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, joeken24 said:

The Redskins are coming into this year with plenty of cap space. They have a top draft pick to choose or parlay for additional draft picks. And of course money to take advantage of free agency. That being said, Rivera said that he'll be looking for a veteran QB. 

When has he said that? I heard him say we have a couple of veterans in the building already (Colt/Case/Alex) but nothing about bringing one in...

Edited by UKskins

6 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I wonder if KOC has been offered the QB job vs OC?  That might explain the "working it out" issue.  Just a thought...

That would seem logical to me as well. 

6 hours ago, VRIEL1 said:

Wonder if they could lure Russ Grimm out of retirement to be the OL coach?

Harry Hiestand was a name floated out there for that job.

There is no need to rush really. I’m totally fine that whoever he chooses it will be the right fit for Ron. It’s a pretty big deal in this case because he’s a Defensive coach.

To hand over an NFL offense to a young unproven guy like KOC Is a decision you can see he doesn’t take lightly. I’m fine with giving him some time to see what KOC and others have planned if they got the job. Then pick who is best for him.