Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Redskins: Ron Rivera, Head Coach

zCommander

11 hours ago, Panninho said:

I watched his last press conference for the Panthers. Didn't know a lot about him besides his record and still obviously don't but watching that video just gave me a warm feeling. This dude comes off as such a good guy. It feels like with those teachers I loved, that cared about you and made fun from time to time but also had this natural aura of authority.

You just felt that the whole media room was sad to see him go. And all those players quotes talking about how awesome he is as a person and as a coach. In that press conference it felt like the whole room was gravitating towards him. Every reporter made sure to come up to the podium and shake his hand and thank him personally for the time and how they appreciated him. 

I just feel like this is someone we deserve after such a long time. And he talked so much about culture, even if he didn't mention it specifically. About how important it is for him to lead those players and set an example. And it didn't feel like empty words. One of the media guys asked him what it means to him that most of the players, when asked about their fondest memories with Ron, didn't talk about some coaching or on field stuff but rather about what he means to them personally and how much he affected them. He was extremely proud about that, you could tell.

Whether this hire works out or not on the field, I really feel like he can substantially change the culture around here. Having Alex Smith whisper in Snyder's ears and Rivera running the show feels like such a 180 turnaround to what we have had for so long.

I am beyond excited. Not because I automatically assume this franchise will compete but because for the first time since I don't know when there are actually people running the show that I like.

Pannino, you basically have described a great Washington Coach, Joe Gibbs a mentor and a motivator of men.

What I mean , there is a similarity between the two coaches . Hopefully Rivera can replicate a winning culture.

I know placing Rivera on the same pedestal as Gibbs may seem a bit unfair to the point of being a heretic in regards to Redskin lore.

Have to admit there is  a lot of similarities between the two men.

4 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

Yeah, if he goes back to school, his draft stock can only go down. The only reason he doesn’t come out is if he thinks that he doesn’t want to go to the Redskins. The only person I remember that from recently is Andrew Luck who went back to school when the Panthers had the 1st pick. I don’t see Young doing that being this is his hometown and he would reunite with Haskins and McLaurin. Plus a defensive coach coming on board. I think this is ideal for him going to a team picking in the top 5.

I don't think Luck went back to school because Carolina was picking 1st. He went back because he wanted to finish his degree. He's a pretty good and honest dude, so I don't think there was anything nefarious behind him not coming out in 2010. 

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Haynesworth was the best DT in the league. He was signed and immediately moved to NT. That’s the equivalent of signing Aaron Donald and moving him to NT, then wondering why your defense sucks. 

The cap issues are a separate issue. 

Haynesworth wasn't immediately moved to NT. The first year he was here we were still in a 4-3 under Blache. That being said, there were so many issues with his whole signing.

First let me put this out there as a disclaimer: I'm not defending AH or his personality or motivation/attitude issues. Those were/are all real. That being said, he was never used correctly from the get-go. The whole thing was stupid because Zorn/Vinnie/Dan all decided to sign AH and it was really obvious that Blache was not really consulted on it. You could tell it when Blache was interviewed and was talking about Haynesworth. I don't think he ever wanted him.

AH also didn't fit in with Blache's scheme and Blache was super inflexible. Blache ran a conservative bend but don't break style of contain defense where his DL had mostly strict gap filling responsibilities. Haynesworth was a massive one gap DT who's specialty was penetration and disruption in the backfield...the literal opposite of what Blache did with his DTs. So Blache being Blache and completely inflexible, instead of saying "I have this guy now and he has this massive skill set, maybe I should adjust my scheme to fit it", just said "Whatevs. You have gap contain responsibility now and it's strict. Just do as you're told". AH, being AH, got disgruntled very quickly and lost motivation. 

Then Shanny comes in, deciding to install a 3-4 and immediately dislikes Haynesworth. You can just tell from the get-go that it was impossible for those two to ever get along and work together. So Shanny, being Shanny, decides that he's going to basically make AH's life miserable by moving him to NT as a space eater and then making him do a bunch of conditioning tests when he came back. AH, already being unmotivated from last year, got even worse in his attitude. And it ended up how it ended up.

The whole thing was doomed from day 1. I'm honestly curious what Haynesworth would have been like here if we'd had a more flexible DC who had a more penetrating scheme and was interested in having AH from the start. Who knows. It's in the past now but it's still all so cringe-worthy and just...so...REDSKINS. 

Just real quick so I can scratch my pessimistic bone:

reading and watching all this stuff about Rivera makes me really respect the guy and feel bad that we’re about to drag him through the mud and leave him wondering if any other team will ever hire him. 

Happy New Year everyone. How excited am I about Ron and Jack taking over this team? It is 1:00 in the morning on New Years day. The wife has gone to sleep after my 15 minutes of fame (Hey I am an old guy I do the best I can)  and I am here. I TRULY believe that we are on the right track for once. Time to sleep. Visions of 4-3 dancing through my head....

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Happy New Year everyone. How excited am I about Ron and Jack taking over this team? It is 1:00 in the morning on New Years day. The wife has gone to sleep after my 15 minutes of fame (Hey I am an old guy I do the best I can)  and I am here. I TRULY believe that we are on the right track for once. Time to sleep. Visions of 4-3 dancing through my head....

Happy New Year to you as well..I worked new years eve..wake up at 3am..to the farm shortly before 5am not home till 8pm...long.    ass.     day...i dont think I made it to 10:30..

Any way..as of now...life is good!(as a Redskins fan)

5 hours ago, tshile said:

Just real quick so I can scratch my pessimistic bone:

reading and watching all this stuff about Rivera makes me really respect the guy and feel bad that we’re about to drag him through the mud and leave him wondering if any other team will ever hire him. 

Ya need to do more than scratch that itch and just amputate that bone!

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could Bill Callahan's win be a possible reason we got Rivera ?

Maybe if Carolina wins that game, they don't get so demoralized, but rather end the season on a positive note ?

Thank Bill ?

Not sure it would have made a difference had the panthers won that game...imo

7 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Is that Mark Phillip's being a smart ass?..Tress Way is a true professional, best punter in the game..special teams aint named special for nothing

Welcome to the nuthut coach, I can say without reservation you are the one guy I wanted to get this job. Your track record for establishing discipline and respect on and with the roster is exactly what we have needed for so long. We understand that you face a huge task in righting this ship but I know that I firmly believe you are the guy to do it.

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Happy New Year everyone. How excited am I about Ron and Jack taking over this team? It is 1:00 in the morning on New Years day. The wife has gone to sleep after my 15 minutes of fame (Hey I am an old guy I do the best I can)  and I am here.

Hey cheer up! That's 14 minutes more than me! lol

6 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Welcome Ron. You inherited a steaming pile of trash. I doubt you ever take us to the playoffs. Thanks happy hunting.

Well that’s a little pessimistic. Jay and Bruce took the steaming pile of trash to the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Welcome Ron. You inherited a steaming pile of trash. I doubt you ever take us to the playoffs. Thanks happy hunting.

So you don't think if Dan stays out of the football side, with his sidekick Bruce gone, that this team can't win games with the likes of Rivera at the helm, and Del Rio as the DC?  

I have been pretty vocal in my belief that the **** has rolled downhill from Snyder through his lackeys, but I have also strongly believed if he stays out of the football side and hires a hard ass, strong personality that will actually instill discipline and accountability amongst players, the culture changes.   

Just Snyder's pick of Rivera, as the HC demonstrates for the first time since he purchased the team that his way is not working and he has to step away.

Y’all gotta stop expecting Dan to stay completely away from the football side of things. He isn’t going to do that. What it sounds like he’s trying to do, and we can hope for at best, is that he is putting together a team of people who know better than him, have them help him make the best moves for this team. He is GOING to be involved. He wants to be the guy who fixes this. 

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Y’all gotta stop expecting Dan to stay completely away from the football side of things. He isn’t going to do that. What it sounds like he’s trying to do, and we can hope for at best, is that he is putting together a team of people who know better than him, have them help him make the best moves for this team. He is GOING to be involved. He wants to be the guy who fixes this. 

If your saying he is going to be making key decisions going forward then the team is on the same trajectory.  Period.  Good owners stay the **** out and let their "football" guys make the decisions.   Example # 1 Robert Kraft.  The only time he steps in is if a player or situation is going to tarnish the rep of the brand, i.e. the Antonio Brown crap.

Dan clearly does have a propensity to be sneaky and behind the scenes but it has never worked for him.  Or he pushes his agenda through someone like Bruce Allen. It has been a disaster. If he can't take his big ass ego and sideline it you have the same issues going forward disguised as change.  

23 minutes ago, Llevron said:

We need serious, responsible football people to teach Dan how to be involved. THAT'S the Holy Grail here..........

7 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

No guarantees at all as far as W/Ls,  but at least Rivera brings something this team hasn't had for the longest time:  Respect

Discipline...I bet we won't see 2 dlinemen in the same gap..12 yard cushions on 4th and 1..ridiculously delayed blitzes, NO ADJUSTMENTS during the game AND NO LIP FLUTTERING BAFOONARY by the Head Coach.

Professionalism

28 minutes ago, Llevron said:

How many times can a man be BF'd on National Television and NOT LEARN. Getting rid of people who conceal the truth (when the obvious truth is on the field exposing themselves) is his 1st step twords redemption. 3rd strike and he'll NEVER get the fan base back..he has 2 (Vinny,Bruce). Logic would demand that he learned his lesson...right???

14 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

If your saying he is going to be making key decisions going forward then the team is on the same trajectory.  Period.  Good owners stay the **** out and let their "football" guys make the decisions.   Example # 1 Robert Kraft.  The only time he steps in is if a player or situation is going to tarnish the rep of the brand, i.e. the Antonio Brown crap.

Dan clearly does have a propensity to be sneaky and behind the scenes but it has never worked for him.  Or he pushes his agenda through someone like Bruce Allen. It has been a disaster. If he can't take his big ass ego and sideline it you have the same issues going forward disguised as change.  

Hes definitely not going to stop being involved. This is what he wants to do. 

8 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

We need serious, responsible football people to teach Dan how to be involved. THAT'S the Holy Grail here..........

Yea this is what I’m hoping Ron will help him with. And he’s clearly a people person, and Dan is easily influenced. I hope these traits work together to help teach him how to be better at his style of ownership.

8 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Logic would demand that he learned his lesson...right???

I think he can improve a lot in the role he wants and not be totally out, yes. And I think Ron can help him with that. Even if his role is basically bull****. But I don’t expect for one minute this dude is signing up to be completely out. 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Hes definitely not going to stop being involved. This is what he wants to do. 

Yea this is what I’m hoping Ron will help him with. And he’s clearly a people person, and Dan is easily influenced. I hope these traits work together to help teach him how to be better at his style of ownership.

Dan is all about control.  And he is very fixed.  If he was easily influenced he would have listened to countless football people that actually got it done but he had his own ideas, that stem from his personality structure.

But he has stumbled into something here with Rivera that is going to work.    

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

Dan is all about control.  And he is very fixed.  If he was easily influenced he would have listened to countless football people that actually got it done but he had his own ideas, that stem from his personality structure.

But he has stumbled into something here with Rivera that is going to work.    

I think so! I really do. We will see though. 

1 hour ago, dballer said:

Well that’s a little pessimistic. Jay and Bruce took the steaming pile of trash to the playoffs. 

Pessimistic? Yes I am very pessimistic. Is there a reason not to be?

Look at this team people. The players suck. The owner sucks. Everything about the team sucks down to the name. Things will not get better ever.

*edit* Seems like a good hire though. All the "experts" seem to like it. Rivera clearly has experience. Discipline is something I've been preaching for years. Let's see what happens...I'm skeptical to say the least.

Archived