Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

So dumb question (although based on some comments in this thread let’s call it a middle school worthy question...)

chase had 6 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tfl, 1 forced fumble.

does that mean he stopped a ball carrier 9 times or does that mean 6 times and it includes 1 for loss, 1 sack and the ff? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I completely forgot Rod Woodson was on that team.  He was still damn good then, too.

I forgot too, was totally thinking Ed Reed, but he joined 2002.

What a hand off from Woodson to Reed.

So were saying we need a Ray Lewis to be better.  Doesn’t every team.  Haha

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Aaaaand Trent Williams is not going to catch Chase Young.

Daron Payne makes sure of that.

This has to be the fastest defensive line in the NFL.  Payne, Young, and Sweat looked like a herd of elk!  And Payne got up off the ground and appeared to be at full speed after two seconds of running.  Wow!!!  That was impressive and frightening.  Returning TDs could become something we see at least three times year from this DL alone.

Added:  And IMHO Sweat is every bit the athletic freak that Chase Young is.  Sweat is a major problem for offenses.  You have to game plan for both of these dudes.

Edited by cakmoney61
Added a short paragraph.
  • Like 4

Rex Ryan on the question if Chase Young is the best player in the division says: "Absolutely, absolutely!" at around 2:30. Lol someone also says that Chase Young is like someone merged out of Derek Henry and the Predator.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Haven't been reading this thread so forgive me if this has been said before, but as I was making dinner yesterday watching the game on and off I saw Young make about 37 different plays that most edge rushers hope to accumulate across the length of a season rather than just a single game and all I could think of was 37 versions of the classic bit from the Jordan Documentary last spring: 

I took that personally.png

Not great w/tech so hopefully I didn't violate any rules uploading that pic, but my God, Chase Young was the essence of the billion different iterations of Jordan saying that in the Doc, and then cue the defenestration of another All Star/HOF/Random citizen that had the misfortune of crossing his path and being notices for some perceived transgression. 

Young was the very embodiment of that against my local Niners. It was borderline comical how he essentially picked up the 49ers Offense and hurled into the Arizona desert in righteous indignation that he wasn't playing in the bay, but was instead stuck in the middle of nowhere the Southwest. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1

“Then, the rookie paid tribute to one of his idols -- the late Kobe Bryant -- saying the mentality the Lakers' legend embodied throughout his career is something Young and the rest of his team can follow the remainder of the season.

"I like to think, 'What would Kobe do?' Kobe wouldn't be smiling," Young said. "He'd put his head down and keep working to achieve what he wanted to achieve." “

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/what-would-kobe-do-chase-young-uses-mamba-mentality-motivation-keep

Love this kind of talk from Chase.  Kobe was the ultimate winner and had the perfect drive and competitive attitude that you want in an athlete.  It gets to what SIP said about Chase being special because of his mind/drive more than his athleticism. 

Also, he just sees and processes things at a different speed than everyone else and has such god instincts. His pass deflection this last game. Look at his forced fumble against Philly when he was on the ground saw Wentz going to the ground, and was still able to launch himself and time knocking the ball out. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Redd said:

See I don't mind losing out if my team is out of the playoff race.  That got us Chase Young, but it still rubs me the wrong way how so many posters here wanted us to lose out this year because they want it all or nothing.  Great teams manage to find great players regardless of where they pick in the draft.

Let's get a winning culture here again and then we can start putting the final pieces in place to make a serious run for a championship.

I appreciate what your saying, being the target of your criticism, and I think culture is absolutely a valid argument. Winning teams that contend long term all have quality cultures, that's a fundamental feather in that argument. That being said, the only long term contender that's managed to be successful w/o finding a franchise QB since Gibbs I has been the Ravens and their various iterations since 1999. Nobody else has done it, and it was fundamentally far easier to do it pre-free agency, smaller league, and pre salary cap and it was still rare back then (Gibbs I and earlier) so I don't know what to tell you. It's murderously difficult to find a franchise QB outside of the blue chip zone, it happens, but it's always rare and largely accidental (because by the very essence of the later selection, the team didn't know what it had in it's hands when it acquired said play) and to underline this:

Joe Montana: 3rd Round

Brett Favre: 2nd Round and traded from Falcons to Packers

Tony Romo: UDFA

Dak Prescott: 4th round and by accident (they prioritized two busts over him and settled for him)

Tom Brady: 6th round

Mark Brunell: 5th round

Rich Gannon's 1999-2002 run: 4th round

Kirk Cousins kinda (4th round)

Kurt Warner: UDFA

Russell Wilson: 3rd Round

Im sure there are more, but these are more or less the guys that come to mind over the past 30-40 years. I'm sure there are a couple here and there (Trent Green, Matt Schaub, though I doubt they rise to the height some required, while Cousin's inept quality in big games probably tosses him out of the group) but you can see that teams hit on these guys basically about once every 4 to 5 years, and by it's very nature that means an additional 2 horrifying things: #1 the hits are always accidental as already mentioned (if teams had the right eval on a future HOF/Franchise Level QB they would take said player w/their first, not a late day 3 or day 2 pick) and #2 I'm not listing the misses which are in the hundreds at this point, for the 10+ hits, there are probably somewhere on the order of 250-400 plus misses (we can just look back on Conklin, Hakel, Hamdan, Rosenfels and 57 other day 3 busts to underline this just since the early nineties alone). 

That's why for the talk of chemistry, I'd still rather have the QB. Give me the QB, and it's way easier to figure the rest of it out, if you're trying the long cut of chemistry coaching and random chance, history is littered w/failed attempts and virtually no examples of long term contenders built that way. It's nearly impossible. Hopefully we get lucky or we get a FA like the Saitns did, because otherwise we'll just be a team that always gets beaten by the good sides because we suck at QB, and we never contend for anything, and the long termness of this will last only as long as we can keep the defensive core together which will be impossible due to free agency.

But who knows, by most fans sense of what a true drafted and developed franchise QB is, we've gone 80-85 years since Sammy Baugh was selected in the early thirties and that's the last time we did it, we are beyond due. Just our division itself, the Giants have had what, 3-5 since then, the cowboys have had like 5 or 6, the Eagles have had like 4 or 5, you can add the Cardinals with Jim Hart, Lomax, and now Murray.

The redskins inability to draft and develop legit long term franchise QB's is unmatched in the league. We've always traded for them, or had guys that skirted at the edge of the quality but never fully become that (Rypien '88-'92, Cousins '12-'17 etc). We are well beyond freaking due. But life doesnt work that way. It just happens or not. Fairness has got nothing to do with it (to paraphrase that Unforgiven line). 

This franchise needed star power, that's why we had to tank. Look at the other teams in D.C. that win championships. The Caps got Ovie. The Nats got Stras(and eventually other guys too). I'm not saying Young is gonna be at that level(no NFL player really can except for a QB really)but we needed a dynamic game changing presence.

Thank you again Greg Manusky and Josh Norman.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Better than 3 sacks? No way. Sacks are the only production that matter for an end. 

Bust.

Which is why Ive been working on a complex formula for months that takes every other almost meaningless stat and converts it to sacks, which gave me 3 for this game for Chase.  Its tough though, for example 24 passing TDs comes out to 1 sack due to how worthless they are compared to sacks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, petey hodge said:

I cannot fathom how some people claim he's a BUST. 

Really?

Dude was worth every cent of his Number 2 Overall pick out on that field today.  I even got texts from Steelers fans who were watching and pulling for us.

Who? 

I don't think anyone thinks that, though maybe there are crazy takes out there. My problem is that you can't win in this league w/o a QB, so Tua or Herbert had to be the pick. Last winter at this time I was simply ecstatic that we lost the games down the stretch to inexplicably jump ahed of teams into the 2 slot so that we could get Tua or failing that Chase, w/o the lose out, who knows what we do, and getting a HOF caliber Edge was a nice runner up prize for not getting the QB. I just preferred the QB because logic. That being said, if you can't get a franchise QB, get the HOF non-QB caliber talent. We could be the Giants, who beat us, lost out on Young and then stupidly reached to take the fourth or fifth best OL prospect w/the first OL selection of the draft. 

14 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Montez Sweat very well might have the absolute best size / speed ratio in the NFL. He's close. You don't see him full out sprint often but good lord when he does

That trade up is looking better and better and better. Was ecstatic when we moved up for him, and it hurt last year to have no 2nd, but in the early spring of '19, Sweat had a slot 8-12 grade or so, and to get him in the mid-twenties for the cost of two seconds was robbery at this point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Sorry about the poor quality cell phone taped tv video but I liked this little segment and wanted to share it. 

I love what she said.  But in truth I could just watch Kay saying whatever she wanted to. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

No.  That was the best defense ever.  

EDIT:  You're thinking of the 2000 Ravens defense.

'85 Bears were. 

Long long argument, and my brother disagrees with me lol, but the '84 Bears defense played in a much stronger league in a conference with Parcells Giants, Gibbs Redskins, Walsh's Niners, and Landry's Cowboys and for one shining year, they obliterated the entire conference (you saw some of what made them great in '84, making it to the NFC title game, and in '86, finishing 13-3 if memory serves) and all in all its worth noting that they had a largely league average offense except when McMahon was healthy (which was rare because of how much of a risk taker he was) and they were spectacular from 1985-1988 and arrived in '84:

1984: 11-7

1985: 18-1

1986: 13-4

1987: 11-5 (9-4 in non-strike games)

1988: 13-5

Pretty incredible, and the '85 season was right there with the '89 Niners as the most terrifying team I've ever seen play, period. 

They're my best defense ever, did it in a better and deeper league and in the better conference loaded with HOF coaches, HOF QB's and HOF defenses, and they stood above them all for one year. My only quibbles with them are #1 offense was basically so so, #2 the conference was in a dip that year (Cowboys were about to start their slow 3 season collapse into worst int he league by '88, Niners entered a 2 year dip before the faux '87-'88 dip, Redskins had to say bye to Theismann, Riggins, Charlie Brown etc, Giants weren't quite ready, Rams were fake etc), so they did take advantage of a dip in quality for the conference as a whole, but that run in '86--'88 post Buddy Ryan and w/Walter Payton closing in on retirement/then retired was 35-13 minus the 3 strike games, that's still unbelievable and tells you just how good they were. 

The Ravens D, like the Bears, took advantage of a dip year for the league inbetween dynasties when Brady's Patriots were a year away, and Elway and Favre faded out, the Niners collapsed, remember, the Giants team they beat in the super bowl was straight garbage, that tells you how bad the NFC was that year (analogous to Peyton Manning winning his won pre-Bronco's super bowl by beating a total garbage bears team after a miracle comeback against Brady's pats). It is kind of funny that the three mega defenses to win Super Bowls, the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens and '02 Bucs, one dimensional teams all, all took advantage of down years for the league in a lot of ways, '85 was down, '00 the AFC was about to be a powerhouse but not quite, and the Bucs beat an NFC that was lacking in any great teams beyond the Eagles that I can remember, while the AFC was a represented by a last version of the last great Raiders teams ('99-'02) while Mannings Colts weren't ready and Brady's Patriots had there one and only truly bad year during their dynasty. 

Probably telling that you don't see these mega defense teams ever winning super bowls when their conferences and super bowl opponents are loaded with legit height of their powers balanced super bowl winners (Redskins, Bills, Cowboys, Broncos, Packers, Niners, Giants in the '90's, Brady and Manning's Patriots and Colts in the aughts, etc). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

'85 Bears were. 

Long long argument, and my brother disagrees with me lol, but the '84 Bears defense played in a much stronger league in a conference with Parcells Giants, Gibbs Redskins, Walsh's Niners, and Landry's Cowboys and for one shining year, they obliterated the entire conference (you saw some of what made them great in '84, making it to the NFC title game, and in '86, finishing 13-3 if memory serves) and all in all its worth noting that they had a largely league average offense except when McMahon was healthy (which was rare because of how much of a risk taker he was) and they were spectacular from 1985-1988 and arrived in '84:

1984: 11-7

1985: 18-1

1986: 13-4

1987: 11-5 (9-4 in non-strike games)

1988: 13-5

Pretty incredible, and the '85 season was right there with the '89 Niners as the most terrifying team I've ever seen play, period. 

They're my best defense ever, did it in a better and deeper league and in the better conference loaded with HOF coaches, HOF QB's and HOF defenses, and they stood above them all for one year. My only quibbles with them are #1 offense was basically so so, #2 the conference was in a dip that year (Cowboys were about to start their slow 3 season collapse into worst int he league by '88, Niners entered a 2 year dip before the faux '87-'88 dip, Redskins had to say bye to Theismann, Riggins, Charlie Brown etc, Giants weren't quite ready, Rams were fake etc), so they did take advantage of a dip in quality for the conference as a whole, but that run in '86--'88 post Buddy Ryan and w/Walter Payton closing in on retirement/then retired was 35-13 minus the 3 strike games, that's still unbelievable and tells you just how good they were. 

The Ravens D, like the Bears, took advantage of a dip year for the league inbetween dynasties when Brady's Patriots were a year away, and Elway and Favre faded out, the Niners collapsed, remember, the Giants team they beat in the super bowl was straight garbage, that tells you how bad the NFC was that year (analogous to Peyton Manning winning his won pre-Bronco's super bowl by beating a total garbage bears team after a miracle comeback against Brady's pats). It is kind of funny that the three mega defenses to win Super Bowls, the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens and '02 Bucs, one dimensional teams all, all took advantage of down years for the league in a lot of ways, '85 was down, '00 the AFC was about to be a powerhouse but not quite, and the Bucs beat an NFC that was lacking in any great teams beyond the Eagles that I can remember, while the AFC was a represented by a last version of the last great Raiders teams ('99-'02) while Mannings Colts weren't ready and Brady's Patriots had there one and only truly bad year during their dynasty. 

Probably telling that you don't see these mega defense teams ever winning super bowls when their conferences and super bowl opponents are loaded with legit height of their powers balanced super bowl winners (Redskins, Bills, Cowboys, Broncos, Packers, Niners, Giants in the '90's, Brady and Manning's Patriots and Colts in the aughts, etc). 

That's a good writeup, but it doesn't account for the fact that the '00 Ravens were facing better, faster, stronger athletes and more sophisticated schemes.