Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Sweat to me is the least bang for his buck and the worst “overall” player of the four. He’s pretty bad at rush defense, though he has moments. That’s not to say he’s a bad player, though. His cost:play ratio will be the most out of whack of the DL. Therefore, I do what smart teams do: trade an asset for additional assets.

If

I’ve consistently heard Sweat is elite in run defense. What am I missing that you’re noticing?  

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I’ve consistently heard Sweat is elite in run defense. What am I missing that you’re noticing?  

Watch him.

He makes big plays at times against the run which gives that illusion. But he still open vertical lanes and gets over aggressive and doesn’t contain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Sweat to me is the least bang for his buck and the worst “overall” player of the four. He’s pretty bad at rush defense, though he has moments. That’s not to say he’s a bad player, though. His cost:play ratio will be the most out of whack of the DL. Therefore, I do what smart teams do: trade an asset for additional assets.

If I told you, and this is hypothetical, we trade Sweat for a 2, trade back in the first this year for a one and change and we package the one we get for trading back and the 2 we get for Sweat for a swing at a franchise level QB would anyone complain?

Paying Sweat is an option. Just don’t think it maximizes our assets.

Not that PFF is the end all be all, but they have Sweat as our highest graded defender with a grade of 87.3. He is 81.3 against the run with 12 TFL. Those TFL jump out suggesting he is playing the run very well. I had thoguht your complaint about him was not getting to the QB enough in terms of sacks, He does have 7 so far but for an edge rusher, if he were elite you would expect a few more. But thasoe 24 QB hits to lead the team sugget he is doing his job. 

As for the hypothetical, I had said if he is not in thier long terms plans, especailly due to CAP limitations, so I could go for your hypothetical. But thaty's not so much an idictment on Sweat as the fact we need to be taking a swing at a franchise QB in the draft, if not this year then next. If there is a QB they like well enough I wold also be OK with packaging Sweat with this years 1st and next yrs 1st and maybe a 2nd to move up this year. Same use of resources jsut different year. 

I am not versed well enoguh with this years QBs to say if there is one woth it so my hypothetcial assumes there is a QB worth it. 

I reallywant to see Chase and Sweat o nthd fiedl together again to see if they have figured out how to play together and still stay eithin the system, this is especailly true for Chase. Based on potential Chase should be better than Sweat but if you look at least year for Chase before he got injured and where Sweat is now, you have to say Sweat is the better defender. DOn;t get me wrong I like Chase a lot and I beleive he still has a very good cahnce of being that generational talent he was projected to be. But he was not doing it on the field last year when he went down. Needs to turn the potential into reality. 

Eitherway, it's a good position to be for once. There is a lot of talent at Dline for this team despite letting few guys go in the offseason. Can't wait to see Chase play again. It could get even more fun to watch that Dline play. 

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not that PFF is the end all be all, but they have Sweat as our highest graded defender with a grade of 87.3. He is 81.3 against the run with 12 TFL. Those TFL jump out suggesting he is playing the run very well. I had thoguht your complaint about him was not getting to the QB enough in terms of sacks, He does have 7 so far but for an edge rusher, if he were elite you would expect a few more. But thasoe 24 QB hits to lead the team sugget he is doing his job. 

As for the hypothetical, I had said if he is not in thier long terms plans, especailly due to CAP limitations, so I could go for your hypothetical. But thaty's not so much an idictment on Sweat as the fact we need to be taking a swing at a franchise QB in the draft, if not this year then next. If there is a QB they like well enough I wold also be OK with packaging Sweat with this years 1st and next yrs 1st and maybe a 2nd to move up this year. Same use of resources jsut different year. 

I am not versed well enoguh with this years QBs to say if there is one woth it so my hypothetcial assumes there is a QB worth it. 

I reallywant to see Chase and Sweat o nthd fiedl together again to see if they have figured out how to play together and still stay eithin the system, this is especailly true for Chase. Based on potential Chase should be better than Sweat but if you look at least year for Chase before he got injured and where Sweat is now, you have to say Sweat is the better defender. DOn;t get me wrong I like Chase a lot and I beleive he still has a very good cahnce of being that generational talent he was projected to be. But he was not doing it on the field last year when he went down. Needs to turn the potential into reality. 

Eitherway, it's a good position to be for once. There is a lot of talent at Dline for this team despite letting few guys go in the offseason. Can't wait to see Chase play again. It could get even more fun to watch that Dline play. 

PFF’s defensive grades should be thrown out and burned with lighter fluid.

• Confused 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Sweat's run defense win rate on ESPN is pretty high for the Edge rankings.  Top five I think.  I don't think he really sees the ball that well but he seems to be playing the run well relative to what is realistic to expect for his position I suppose.

I feel like Montez is just on the outside looking in of being an elite edge player.  There have been games this year where he has completely gone HAM and taken them over and been the best player on the field, but it's probably only been like two.  It shows he's talented enough to hit that kind of level but not good enough to do it consistently and against a bunch of different kinds of match ups/game plans.  That's why I think he is the Antonio Gibson of the defense.  A really nice player to have, who can win you games and definitely makes you better.  But if you put the kind of money into him that forces you to build around him, I think that will end in tears.  And it should be noted with Sweat that he's already 26 meaning a new deal would start during his age 28 season.  He's probably got like two or three more prime seasons left before a decline would start. The first year of a mega contract would be fine, maybe even the second.  But the back half of that kind of deal could be brutal.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

PFF’s defensive grades should be thrown out and burned with lighter fluid.

I get they are not a perfect measure but this seems quite extreme. If you have another more reliable metric i am all ears. I know you are a coach so I trust your opinion to a certain extent but I still need data. When I watch games Montez at the very least is doing his job. He looks a little odd with those long arms and gangly body but he has sound technique and stays dicsiplined while making a lot of solid plays. 12 TFL (tied for team lead) 24 QB hits (leads the team), and yes the highest PFF rating. All this without anyone that scares teams on the other side. Not saying he is elite but he not to far from getting there and seems to be getting better every game. 

Having said all that if they could get a good enough of a haul to take a swing at a legit prospect at QB to be the franchise QB I say let him go and don't turn back.  

PFF can be weird but my general take is if a guy is rated highly, he's probably at least pretty good. So if a guy is rated say, top 10, maybe he's not actually top 10, but he's probably in like the top 20 or something. Basically, nobody who sucks is gonna be rated highly and nobody who is good is gonna have a bad rating. 

Take Forrest and Curl for example. They were at one point the highest rated Safeties in the entire league. Now, are they ACTUALLY the two best Safeties in the league? Probably not. But just based on the eye test as well, they are clearly both very good. And that's where the PFF rankings can be helpful. 

They give you a good ballpark but might not be the best for exact ranking purposes. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

PFF can be weird but my general take is if a guy is rated highly, he's probably at least pretty good. So if a guy is rated say, top 10, maybe he's not actually top 10, but he's probably in like the top 20 or something. Basically, nobody who sucks is gonna be rated highly and nobody who is good is gonna have a bad rating. 

Take Forrest and Curl for example. They were at one point the highest rated Safeties in the entire league. Now, are they ACTUALLY the two best Safeties in the league? Probably not. But just based on the eye test as well, they are clearly both very good. And that's where the PFF rankings can be helpful. 

They give you a good ballpark but might not be the best for exact ranking purposes. 

Sweat is pretty good. But he is inconsistent and a better pass rusher than a run defender and I don’t like the idea of the amount of resources tied up in him and the DL as a whole for “pretty good”

22 hours ago, KDawg said:

a swing at a franchise level QB would anyone complain?

They've swung and missed too many times like that. I'd rather see them target a QB in later rounds with the ability to develop and bring in competition vs TH and Sam. They need better pass-pro OL and C/RG...have to fix the OL first. $.02

9 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

They've swung and missed too many times like that. I'd rather see them target a QB in later rounds with the ability to develop and bring in competition vs TH and Sam. They need better pass-pro OL and C/RG...have to fix the OL first. $.02

You can do multiple things at once. And I’m talking about the 2024 draft.

• Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Here's hoping that Chase comes back next week and is a decent contributor on the DL for the rest of rest of the season

It's likely to take a few games to see him flip the switch with football reps and injury confidence. I'm not putting it past him to make a play and the confidence switch gets flipped first. Ramped up reps could lead to a big DAL game at home to close it out. DAL might not even need to play starters in the last game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I get your point.....but the whole generational talent thing had me ready for Lawrence Taylor type stuff. Game wrecker ****, ya know!

I mean he looked like he was on that track his rookie year. But he simply didn't take that second year step and then got hurt.

I'm not giving up on Young yet. You don't give up on talent like that.