Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

28 minutes ago, dyst said:

On that fumble TD, Montez Sweat outran everyone and Payne has no business being that fast. This line is very athletic. 

Montez Sweat very well might have the absolute best size / speed ratio in the NFL. He's close. You don't see him full out sprint often but good lord when he does

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

@Skinsinparadise, more impressive...

Young’s physical talents?

or

Young’s mental approach?

I don't think he'd be a great player if it weren't for his mental approach so i'd run with the mental first.  Like many here, I am a media hound for info about players and I've watched a ton of Chase interviews from early last fall.  The dude desperately wants to be great, wants to win, works nonstop.   He's relentless.  

What got me smittened by him is a player was watching 4 games in a row of him early last fall one morning and I just couldn't believe how much he effected the game whether he got a sack or not.  He was constantly disruptive.   He stopped the run.  He forced fumbles.  In my years of watching college players (in my own amateur way), I've never seen a college pass rusher so constantly disruptive.  It's not just about the sacks but bringing pressure and effecting the opposing QB and offense.  Disruptive would be an understatement.  And I recall right after watching those 4 games going on the draft thread and saying that's the dude i want.  And I said I wouldn't trade down if I could get him.  It wasn't hard to reach that conclusion.

Part of it for me is I've probably spent more time watching our D line than any other spot on the team via coaches tape and over the years i've posted clips/formations that I found interesting to discussion, etc.  And watching our D line over the years, there was really no dude that was even close to the constant meance that I saw from Chase in college or as well rounded.    They all had some holes in their game and inconsistency.   Some would dissapear for half the game or so (Kerrigan).  Some were better pass rushers but not hot against the run (Ioannidis), some were the reverse, etc.

It wasn't hard for me to see Chase would from the jump become the best D lineman we got and I said so on this thread before the season.  I like the other guys we have on the D line.  But Chase to me is in a different strata than them both as a player and a leader.  And I thought he'd bring out the best out of the others.  I don't think its a coincidence that all of a sudden our D line which arguably under achieved the last two years has now finally come into its own. 

• Thanks 1

I mean, I was most impressed at halftime in the SF game, when Chase was reported to not be recharging with his teammates in the locker room... but was on the field kicking 50 yard Field Goals.  That's impressive that Chase wanted to help for a struggling Hopkins.  After scoring that TD, this kid Chase Young can really do it all!

• Haha 2

The national view of the Washington Football Team can’t possibly mirror what it is in the nation’s capital, which is that after a 2-7 start to the season, an NFC East title is in clear view. Rather, if a football-watching nation casts its eyes to Washington, it is drawn to one figure: Chase Young. He is everywhere on the field and the television screen, and who wants to face him and his opportunistic mates next week — or, gulp, next month in the (don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it) playoffs?

Young is 12 games into his career, and Washington is 13 games into its season. Both are trending the same way. The rookie defensive end provided a signature performance in Sunday’s 23-15 victory over the San Francisco 49ers. He dominated with his legs, which consistently pushed blockers into the backfield and easily carried him 47 yards with a scooped-up fumble for his first career touchdown. He dominated with his arms, some combination of Plastic Man and the Hulk, swatting passes to the turf and ripping the ball from a running back’s hands.

Try to take your eyes off him. You can’t.

...Guys that are taken as early as Chase was taken [have] to be a guy that can impact a game and help the guys around him be better, play better,” first-year coach Ron Rivera said. “And we’ve got a group of those guys on that defensive line — they all help each other be better, play better.”

Which is the primary reason Washington has somehow won four straight and is now favored to take the division, a nearly inconceivable notion a month ago. The offense is so inconsistent as to be maddening; Sunday, it managed 100 yards neither passing nor rushing. The defense has always had potential. Now it has production — and a star.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Montez Sweat very well might have the absolute best size / speed ratio in the NFL. He's close. You don't see him full out sprint often but good lord when he does

I'm pretty sure Sweat put Trent on his back w/ a bull rush on that Young TD play for those that wanted to see it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

That scoop and score looked so easy. That is a play that you see players (smaller and slightly more agile) struggle with. He did is so casually. It was Sean Taylor like. Best player on the field. 

He's just a natural.

Meanwhile Jeremy Sprinkle can't even fall on a football properly.

Even among NFL players who are all the top 0.01% of athletes in the world, the difference in athleticism/skill/ability between the best and average to mediocre is staggering.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, carex said:

they're basically the most impactful plays a defender can have, missing only an interception and a safety

Yes, but the cherry picking lies in the "first rookie in nfl history" part.

For example he had two passes defensed etc etc.

If another rookie had  a game with one pass defensed, 3 sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble returned for a touchdown he wouldn't have two passes defensed and therefore chase would still be the first in history.

I think that's where he was implying the cherry picking part, but it was definitely an awesome game.

NFL.com https://www.nfl.com/news/week-14-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

1) The Washington Football defense dominated, scoring twice and pummeling the San Francisco 49ers into submission. On a day in which Washington's offense was scuttled before and after Alex Smith went out due to injury, the defense proved it's playoff-worthy. The Teamers (6-7) walloped Nick Mullens for four sacks and 12 QB hits. Ron Rivera's D earned a pick, 11 passes defended, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Washington destroyed San Francisco at the point of attack, holding Kyle Shanahan's offense to 4.5 yards per play on 76 plays. Chase Young all but clinched the Defensive Rookie of the Year. The No. 2 overall pick was the best player on the field, wrecking everything the 49ers tried. Young compiled a sack, six tackles, two QB hits, a tackle for loss, a pass defended, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery for a score.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1