Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

On 4/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, Anselmheifer said:

With regards to the Trent Williams vs. Chase Young chatter, you're talking about a possible Hall of Fame LT vs a rookie. I fully expect Williams to win that battle. 

Williams hasn’t played in 2 years and he’s always hurt.  Chase Young is a DOG.  **** Trent Williams.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I know there's lots of stuff from today's interview round but the most interesting thing he mentioned on ESPN980 with Kevin Sheehan was he may not be finished growing.  His dad is 6'9" and his mom is 6" while Chase is 6'5" but said he's not worried about it.  Feels like he has enough flexibility and athletism to support it.

I will add to this from ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29105321/washington-draftee-chase-young-6-foot-5-thinks-grow-more:

The 6-foot-5 defensive end, selected No. 2 overall in the 2020 NFL draft, said his father, among other members of his family, had a late growth spurt.

Young said his dad, Greg Young, grew from 6-7 his sophomore year in college to 6-10 a year or so after he left.

"It's a possibility I could grow late," Young said Monday via a Zoom conference call. "A lot of people told me my growth plates, there's still some room. It won't affect my game. It's something I'll adapt to, staying flexible. If you're tall, you've got to be a lot more flexible. I'll be the same person whether I'm 6-7 or 6-1. Everything's cool."

Young said one player he compares himself to is former NFL defensive end Julius Peppers, who is 6-7.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't Svrloga one of the two WP post columnists who wrote before the draft more or less that the Redskins would be fools not to trade down?  Now I guess he's come around, apparently 😀

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/28/chase-young-is-excited-redskins-fans-should-be-too/?utm_campaign=wp_redskins&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

There’s a way to look at this choice of Young in a box and have it be tantalizing. Quick, who was the last Washington player to be a first-team all-pro? Not a multiple-time Pro Bowl selection, because Trent Williams earned that honor seven times but was never an all-pro. Rather, someone whom everyone around the league looks to and says, “He’s the best at what he does.” That’s what Young, who grew up in Upper Marlboro and went to DeMatha, could be.

On Monday, Young likened his own game to that of Julius Peppers, which isn’t a bad place to start and is exactly the kind of player we’re talking about: a three-time first-team all-pro who certainly will end up in the Hall of Fame. Three players in history had more sacks than Peppers. If Young’s trajectory mimics that at all, then Washington has a player of the kind it hasn’t had in … how long?

We’ll get to the answer. But here’s a clue: If you’re considering characters from the past decade, reach back further. And further still.

....Still, thinking of all the possibilities for his new defense made Young’s eyes widen and his mouth broaden into a smile. We all know by now that a Zoom meeting isn’t the same as an in-person interaction. But as he thought about all of the interior talent he played with at Ohio State, and how that had freed him up to make plays, and how Allen and Payne might provide that here — darned if it didn’t make Young chuckle with delight.

“When you really work as a unit, and you’ve got all guys clicking on all cylinders, and every guy is a first-rounder,” he said, “I don’t feel like the offense can really do anything with a defensive line like that.”

Oh, wait. That trivia answer. The last Washington Redskin to be a first-team all-pro was none other than punter Matt Turk — in 1996. Before that? The last players on either offense or defense: linebacker Wilber Marshall in 1992, preceded by tackle Jim Lachey and Hall of Fame cornerback Darrell Green in 1991.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The quality of that whole interview would have been so much better without Wale's constant interruptions, lol.

4 hours ago, Wayne_Millner said:

agreed

and true of many interviews 

Well then I must pre-warn you that Wale was there for the actual Chase interview, as well.

Smoot wants him to wear LT's #56.

And Chase addresses Dallas rivalry.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Just imagine if Montez comes out in year 2 and just lights it up? We could have an all time special duo with these two if they keep their heads on straight and get the right coaching. Very excited to see our d-line. 

We really could have something special about to happen the next couple years. Our D line is set for 2/3 years i think and stupid packed with talent. Even our depth is great. Super young too, except Kerrigan.  We were 7th i think in sacks and pressures or something last year and now we've got JDR calling the defense. It's super exciting and the season probably won't even happen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

What are the odds of him and the rest of the first round DL all signing their second contract with the Skins? 

Allen's 5th year contract was just picked up--but they'll probably have to choose between Allen, Payne, and Ionaiddis. If Young doesn't get a 2nd contract, you'd have to think that's a major disappointment--either he earns one and we let him walk or he doesn't earn one.

My gut says you keep Allen, if he has a great year, given his leadership. Payne might be the least of the three.

But that's a problem for another year.

9 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

What are the odds of him and the rest of the first round DL all signing their second contract with the Skins? 

With having lots of cap space (especially once we can get rid of Alex Smith's big cap hit) and their contracts being staggered I'd say it's fair. However, it's also just as likely that we'll lose at least one of them ala the 49ers and DeForest Buckner, because if they all do really well that would probably be a BIG percentage of our cap locked up in DL compared to other positions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Probably 10%.  Like @mistertim said they will probably have to let at least one go.  The "good" news on that front is Ioannidis will be 29 when his extension is up and I highly doubt he would be re-signed. Still not sure you can get creative enough with the numbers to re-sign all 4. Maybe if there was a year in between them in the middle but still doubt it.

• Like 1

Youd keep the starting 4 together ideally. Get sweat a nice contract if he does well. Resign Payne. Let ion go and keep drafting in the trenches. Allen is older than payne so it makes more sense to keep payne over allen.  We signed ion to a good deal before he blew up and that should be the em oh. 

All of our Dline guys are 100% team first, put in extra work, every step counts bad ass talented players. That front 4 then 7, then 53 culture is building out from Allen and now Young. 

Young seems like he is always gonna be the polite respectful kid in the room, I assume from his upbringing, which is awesome. 

How come I've heard multiple people say chase has a massive tool box (aka a plethora of moves) and then I see multiple reports that if he has a weakness it's that he relies almost exclusively on the scissor move with speed and bend and when tackles drop their hands to counter the scissor, and leave their chests totally exposed he doesn't take advantage with a bullrush?

I haven't seen one person say he isn't special and uniquely talented but there does seem to be a pretty big discrepancy between reports of how big his "tool box" is so to speak.