Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't think Sweat has a sullied reputation with fans. He came on late in the year and looked better as the year went on. He was effective vs the run. Seven sacks from a rookie is nothing to sneeze at. If anything, I don't think people pouted about the Sweat selection until we were sitting in the 2nd round looking at everyone that would have been available if we still had that pick. 

Sweat I think was a really good choice. I think he was worth the trade up and that we won't have any regrets long term. I'd love to see him training in the summer with Chase Young and the Bosas and working on his hands and pass rush plan. This DL has a lot of pieces that are very complementary and Chase Young could be the piece that makes the machine hum. 

We need to get him downhill.  Play him downhill and see what happens. ;)

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This article pumped me up all over again, lol.  Can't wait to see Young on the field in the B&G.

Me, too.  The only draft pick that beats Young for me as to being excited about a player we drafted was RG3.   Arguably Young is the first time this franchise drafted a player who is almost universally regarded as the best player in the draft. 

https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-chase-young-hungry-to-start-nfl-career

Chase Young watches film "like other people go on Instagram," according to manager Ian Thomas, constantly pulling up video clips on his phone. He trains twice per day and is constantly focused on staying in shape, regardless of the time or place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Young developed a workmanlike attitude when he was 6 years old. His parents remembered that former star running back Herschel Walker never lifted weights. Young didn't lift weights until high school. Instead, he did pushups, squats and agility work with a ladder or cones. He would play a card game, and, based on the card he picked, he would have to do a corresponding number of exercises. And, Young became a film junkie before he reached Ohio State.

"He worked hard from an early age," Carla Young said. "We never had to tell him to work out or exercise. We almost had to threaten him to sit down."

During football season in high school, Young would head to the gym after practices for 20 minutes of shooting baskets with no coaches around.

"Some guys are talented in one [sport] so they have this prima donna or this, 'I'm Chase Young so I don't have to do that' attitude,'" Jones said. "He never behaved that way. He played like he had something to prove. I knew I could count on Chase.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29236690/chase-young-markelle-fultz-high-school-pals-linked-lofty-goal

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

When the wife goes to bed I've taken to watching Chase Young highlights, it always improves my mood.  What stands out so clearly is just how fast he is off the ball. I had to freeze a few shots to see if he was off sides, in every shot he is the first lineman moving on either side of the ball at the snap and it's a big reason for his success. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Does this make anyone else feel like Chase would be one of our 3 best LB’s? He’s definitely start for us. Probably at SAM.

He's going to be a star at DE.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That would be one big ass linebacker

And a real waste of generational pass-rushing DE skills.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He's going to be a star at DE.

And a real waste of generational pass-rushing DE skills.

I wasn’t saying we should move him there! I was saying that his movement skills are great for a DE. Hips and feet are so loose and he’s so quick. I liked Orakpo, but seeing Chase reminds me of everything Orakpo was missing 

Edit:

That being said, I’d bet more than a nickel that we will see him pass rush from the SAM spot at least a few times this year. 

Edited by Anselmheifer

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Del Rio will have him bouncing around a bit of looking at history with Von Miller. 

Agreed.  It's likely to be a 4-3 Under, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Chase lined up at SAM on some early down snaps with Sweat and Kerrigan at the end spots.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Well be thankful Ma****sky is no longer here. We'd be looking at our new nickel corner

No, the current defensive quality control coach for the Kentucky Wildcats would sit him in favor of some less talented player because he tries hard and knows the scheme. Which is one reason why he’s the defensive quality control coach at Kentucky.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Von Miller is a different kind of player. Chase Young is a natural hand in the grass DE.

Actually, I think I've brought this up before, but from what I've seen of Young's get-off (basically every snap of his career), he looks at his most explosive from a 2-point stance.  I guess we'll see.

31 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Weird take.  Von Miller had his career year playing SAM in JDR's 4-3 Under base defense.

I think Von Miller is a guy who's sort of the mirror opposite of Chase Young in some ways. He's guy who can play DE with this hand in the dirt, but who's smaller size and speed make it more conducive to have him standing up and moving around. Chase Young is bigger, stronger, and longer which IMO makes it better for him to play the majority of the time with his hand in the dirt at DE, but who could also be moved around into a 2 point LB rush role sometimes as well. 

I have little doubt that CY will get moved around to create match up nightmares, but I can't imagine him being misused as Manusky would have (ie dropping him into coverage half the time.) I think we'll be fine. I remember watching his cutups and seeing him rush from a 2 point stance multiple times. Not a ton, but he seemed to do well when asked to do it. 

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think Von Miller is a guy who's sort of the mirror opposite of Chase Young in some ways. He's guy who can play DE with this hand in the dirt, but who's smaller size and speed make it more conducive to have him standing up and moving around. Chase Young is bigger, stronger, and longer which IMO makes it better for him to play the majority of the time with his hand in the dirt at DE, but who could also be moved around into a 2 point LB rush role sometimes as well. 

I have little doubt that CY will get moved around to create match up nightmares, but I can't imagine him being misused as Manusky would have (ie dropping him into coverage half the time.) I think we'll be fine. I remember watching his cutups and seeing him rush from a 2 point stance multiple times. Not a ton, but he seemed to do well when asked to do it. 

Yes, I agree that CY is much more of a natural DE than Von.  I just think we'll see a lot more of Young in a 2-point stance than most fans realize.  When you have a player like Chase at your disposal, it's hard not to want to move him around as a chess piece to take advantage of your opponents' weakest links in their OL.  It paid off for Miller, who had 18.5 sacks and 6 forced fumbles when used in this way, even if he occasionally had to play coverage.  Young will be in coverage far less, but I won't be at all surprised to see him used at SAM LB at times like Miller or even standing up over the A and B-gaps looking to blow by the C and G, as Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen did at times during the playoff game against the Saints.

• Like 2

Preston Smith and Ryan Kerrigan were not misused and dropped into coverage remotely as much as many here like to report. All OLB in every 3-4 scheme on every team are asked to drop into coverage at times. Yes, Manusky appeared to be a below average DC, but this wasn’t the reason. It’s become an easy target for the base as to why Manusky was terrible or horrible. It’s a false narrative. 

I look forward to learning much more about the 4-3 scheme Ron and Jack plan to run. I will not be upset if Young is asked to drop into coverage strategically in a game. Then I’d want to break down and isolate those plays and see what the results were over a given season to see if the strategy worked out. Not a team converting a 3rd down in game 2 when Young was in coverage then representing how I feel about Young in coverage for the rest of the season. 

Edited by wit33