Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

How come I've heard multiple people say chase has a massive tool box (aka a plethora of moves) and then I see multiple reports that if he has a weakness it's that he relies almost exclusively on the scissor move with speed and bend and when tackles drop their hands to counter the scissor, and leave their chests totally exposed he doesn't take advantage with a bullrush?

I haven't seen one person say he isn't special and uniquely talented but there does seem to be a pretty big discrepancy between reports of how big his "tool box" is so to speak.

It's not really a discrepancy.  Both things can be true.  He does have a large tool box - he's shown multiple times that he can perform any move that would be asked of him at the next level (except perhaps the spin move), it's just that he doesn't use those moves as much as he should.  He relies too heavily on the outside side scissor, which I think is due to his belief in his ability to blow by the tackle on any given rush.  Part of that could be due to scheme as well - for example, against Clemson, they might have told him not to try to counter inside and lose contain on Lawrence, who is a very athletic QB.

Still, he doesn't yet have the instincts of someone like Nick Bosa, who usually knows in a split second when the best time is to use one of the 3 primary moves they are taught at OSU (outside side scissor, inside side scissor counter, and bull rush when a lineman is leaving his chest open to negate those two moves) based on the OL's first action after the snap. So, because of that, he relies too heavily on his pre-snap rush plan at times.  But, at this point, asking for his post-snap instincts to be as good as someone whose family has been in and around the NFL for generations is asking a lot.  In addition, Bosa had to rely on technique a lot more than Young did at OSU, given his inferior athleticism compared to Young, so it's no surprise he's pretty much perfected when to use each of the 3 moves.

Young will learn how to adapt to how NFL tackles are playing him, and learn when the optimal time is to use a move in his toolbox post-snap.  I have no doubt about that.  

It's good that he still has things to work on.  It will keep him hungry and keep him focused.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Young seems like he is always gonna be the polite respectful kid in the room, I assume from his upbringing, which is awesome. 

True, but I've seen him do some pretty disrespectful things to Olinemen, QBs and RBs! 

• Haha 2

Ugh. It's been dealt with, but ugh. Is there anyway to delete the post? Doesn't belong in the Stadium for at least two reasons.

Below is one of my favorite movie quotes.

Spoiler

In Neil Simon's Murder By Death, all the great detectives of literature are gathered together to solve a murder. Close to the end of the movie, the Sherlock Holmes character thinks he's got it and gathers the detectives together. He lays out what he thinks is a rather brilliant series of deductions, piecing together clues and makes this incredible case. Afterwards, Peter Sellers (who plays Charlie Chan) says one of my favorite movie quotes of all times.

Chan: "Only one problem with theory."

Holmes: What?

Chan: Is stupid! Is most stupid thing I've ever heard!!!"

Edited by Burgold
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Ugh. It's been dealt with, but ugh. Is there anyway to delete the post? Doesn't belong in the Stadium for at least two reasons.

Reveal hidden contents

In Neil Simon's Murder By Death, all the great detectives of literature are gathered together to solve a murder. Close to the end of the movie, the Sherlock Holmes character thinks he's got it and gathers the detectives together. He lays out this rather brilliant series of deductions, piecing together clues and makes this incredible case. Afterwards, Peter Sellers (who plays Charlie Chan) says one of my favorite movie quotes of all times.

Chan: "Only one problem with theory."

Holmes: What?

Chan: Is stupid! Is most stupid thing I've ever heard!!!"

i'll get it and will also edit the two or three numbnutz who quoted it :nono:

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:30 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

His reaction to this kid, showed a different side of him, off-the-field. Seems like a complete package of a guy.

First, this has to be the son of one of the guys on here

CY reaction

Was that tater or cooleyfan93?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I love that movie, but the Sherlock Holmes character wasn't in it.

I believe the one Inspector Wang was talking to was Nick Charles of "The Thin Man".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ah, thanks for the correction. It's funny the way memory works. For years, I've told that story thinking it was Holmes. I think I've also exaggerated the degree to which Sellers humiliates his fellow detective. To me though, that moment rivals when Inigo confronts the six fingered man, strikes an en garde posture, only for the big villain to turn tail and flee. I think it also challenges Indie shooting the swordsman.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Typically the first camp would be right around the corner. Sucks we're missing out on some good reads about our new players, like Chase. We might have to settle for jumping jacks on zoom. 

Yep. We should be salivating over rookie camp and May minicamps. 

It's gonna be much harder to choose our offseason rookie Cinderella or unheralded crushes. It seems that Thadeus Moss is the Cinderella most want to crush on right now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Ah, thanks for the correction. It's funny the way memory works. For years, I've told that story thinking it was Holmes.

This might be where your memory got it, according to wikipedia:

An additional scene, not in the theatrical version but shown in some television versions, shows Sherlock Holmes (Keith McConnell) and Doctor Watson (Richard Peel) arriving as the other guests are leaving.[7] Author Ron Haydock states that an early draft of Neil Simon's script featured Holmes and Watson actually solving the mystery, but their roles were reduced to a cameo appearance and finally deleted, as the lead actors felt they were being "upstaged."[8] 

I remember seeing that scene on TV once.

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Typically the first camp would be right around the corner. Sucks we're missing out on some good reads about our new players, like Chase. We might have to settle for jumping jacks on zoom. 

Worse than Chase Young is not being able to see some of the later draft picks and UDFAs, who really need that time to show their abilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo said:

i'll get it and will also edit the two or three numbnutz who quoted it :nono:

You got any more of them there Space Cupcakes?

Asking for a friend... :) 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Now I know where you got the "baked" prefix...lol JK

Swflskins...remember him?...I liked that dude..well I liked him here..i didnt know him personally but he had an influence on me choosing my nickname..he said something about me needing to change my nickname to this name of some sorts so I did.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I figured it was because you just really like baking taters :)

My niece who's 7 has been excited to come over for sleepovers scince she was 5 because she gets to have one of uncle "jaren's" baked taters lol..my name is jared but she would call me jaren hahaha...nothing special about em...idaho russet cleaned off than smothered in butter sprinkled with salt wrapped in foil and cooked over hot coals..served with butter,sour cream, onion chives, shredded cheese, and bacon bits.

• Like 6