Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If its an obvious pass down and Young isn't rushing the QB, thats just moronic on every level imaginable.

How about 3rd and 4? 

3rd and long... yes, Young should never drop into coverage. 

Edited by wit33

33 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If he’s a defensive end and that’s what they’re calling him he should have almost zero coverage responsibilities. Maybe keep an eye out for a screen, but that is about it. 

I hear ya. Full disclosure, I’m just saying 20-35 plays over a 700 snap season. 

He’s not your typical DE that struggles in space, he actually flourishes in this area. It’d be a disservice not to sprinkle in him being in space from time to time strategically. 

Like a 3rd and 4 or 5 type situation that a team has shown a tendency to throw a quick slant or swing pass thus negating the effectiveness of a pass rush. 

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

I look forward to learning much more about the 4-3 scheme Ron and Jack plan to run. I will not be upset if Young is asked to drop into coverage strategically in a game. Then I’d want to break down and isolate those plays and see what the results were over a given season to see if the strategy worked out. Not a team converting a 3rd down in game 2 when Young was in coverage then representing how I feel about Young in coverage for the rest of the season. 

The best thing about the JDR scheme isn't the switch to 4-3, which will only affect the team around 30% of the time when they are in the base package. The biggest difference in the JDR scheme is that it is an aggressive 1 gap scheme that asks the DL to penetrate immediately and tackle the RB on the way to the QB. It's a perfect scheme for Chase, and Sweat and Ioannidis and Allen. I do believe that they ask one player in the front, the 1 tech, to 2 gap. JDR specifically referenced already having a good 1 gap on the team, and that would be Payne. 

I don't know if this has been posted already. I don't remember seeing it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 4:05 PM, Anselmheifer said:

Does this make anyone else feel like Chase would be one of our 3 best LB’s? He’s definitely start for us. Probably at SAM.

I know I'm in the minority here but when I see him I see a linebacker more than a DE as well.  Because he is tall that 265 makes his frame  smaller than other DEs to me.  But unless you are blitzing every pass it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a great pass rusher dropping into coverage. 

17 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I know I'm in the minority here but when I see him I see a linebacker more than a DE as well.  Because he is tall that 265 makes his frame  smaller than other DEs to me.  But unless you are blitzing every pass it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a great pass rusher dropping into coverage. 

Rangy guys like that are actually better at 4-3 DE vs LB IMO. Their length allows them to get into a Tackle's pads first and/or attack their hands/arms when pass rushing before the Tackle can get into their pads. And 6'5 265 is an absolutely fine size for a 4-3 DE...that's basically a pure prototypical size, though his frame looks like it could probably add another 10-15 lbs without losing too much flexibility. Strahan was 6'5 255 and was a rangy guy and obviously he was just fine as a 4-3 DE.

I think Chase certainly has the agility to play LB but it just seems like such a waste since he's so clearly dominant with his hand in the dirt. I'm sure they'll move him around plenty, but just putting him at LB would be pure insanity. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

Rangy guys like that are actually better at 4-3 DE vs LB IMO. Their length allows them to get into a Tackle's pads first and/or attack their hands/arms when pass rushing before the Tackle can get into their pads. And 6'5 265 is an absolutely fine size for a 4-3 DE...that's basically a pure prototypical size, though his frame looks like it could probably add another 10-15 lbs without losing too much flexibility. Strahan was 6'5 255 and was a rangy guy and obviously he was just fine as a 4-3 DE.

I think Chase certainly has the agility to play LB but it just seems like such a waste since he's so clearly dominant with his hand in the dirt. I'm sure they'll move him around plenty, but just putting him at LB would be pure insanity. 

Oh I agree and don't want him moved. But I swear every time I see him he looks like a safety and not a DE, his frame certainly looked smaller than Bosa's and all the other lineman.  But he won a lot of battles when he got locked up by the OT so there's little to worry about, it's just optics for me and it's the strangest thing that apparently only my eyes see.  :)

48 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Oh I agree and don't want him moved. But I swear every time I see him he looks like a safety and not a DE, his frame certainly looked smaller than Bosa's and all the other lineman.  But he won a lot of battles when he got locked up by the OT so there's little to worry about, it's just optics for me and it's the strangest thing that apparently only my eyes see.  :)

He does look like a giant Safety. That's how Simmons looked predraft too and he could be an end. These guys are just insane specimens. 

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Agreed, it's absolutely insane to see a 6'5 265 lb dude move like CY does. It's just unnatural. I think that's why some people watched him and said he looked smaller...not necessarily because he actually looked small (dude is ripped), but because he moves like a 6'2 215 lb safety so our brains see that sort of speed, flexibility, and agility and assume it's a smaller guy.

As far as his frame and Bosa's, they're just different. Bosa's frame is more compact, less rangy, with a thicker trunk and legs. Chase's frame is longer with weight a bit more evenly distributed but not as much in his lower half as Bosa. I think that's also reflected in their styles as well. Bosa relies more on power and outstanding technique because his body doesn't have the same flexibility and bend that Chase's does. Chase relies more on speed and bend (but also with really good hand technique as well) because those are attributes he has in spades.

Along the same lines, one thing I'd really like to see Chase do as he comes into the NFL is work on using his bull rush and speed to power when the opportunity is presented. He showed he could definitely do it in college but he was just so fast and bendy that he relied mostly on that and his hand swipes. But there were times that Tackles were so terrified of his speed and hand swipe that they'd start leaving their arms in and really wide so he couldn't get to them as easily, which left their chests ludicrously exposed to a bull rush/speed to power move. He just didn't take it there when offered and stuck with the same moves. He's gonna need to learn to recognize that and use it in the NFL if he's going to become the guy he potentially could be. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mistertim said:

Agreed, it's absolutely insane to see a 6'5 265 lb dude move like CY does. It's just unnatural. I think that's why some people watched him and said he looked smaller...not necessarily because he actually looked small (dude is ripped), but because he moves like a 6'2 215 lb safety so our brains see that sort of speed, flexibility, and agility and assume it's a smaller guy.

As far as his frame and Bosa's, they're just different. Bosa's frame is more compact, less rangy, with a thicker trunk and legs. Chase's frame is longer with weight a bit more evenly distributed but not as much in his lower half as Bosa. I think that's also reflected in their styles as well. Bosa relies more on power and outstanding technique because his body doesn't have the same flexibility and bend that Chase's does. Chase relies more on speed and bend (but also with really good hand technique as well) because those are attributes he has in spades.

Along the same lines, one thing I'd really like to see Chase do as he comes into the NFL is work on using his bull rush and speed to power when the opportunity is presented. He showed he could definitely do it in college but he was just so fast and bendy that he relied mostly on that and his hand swipes. But there were times that Tackles were so terrified of his speed and hand swipe that they'd start leaving their arms in and really wide so he couldn't get to them as easily, which left their chests ludicrously exposed to a bull rush/speed to power move. He just didn't take it there when offered and stuck with the same moves. He's gonna need to learn to recognize that and use it in the NFL if he's going to become the guy he potentially could be. 

No my optics are not from his speed, I see it as they are lining up and his frame is just not as wide as every other lineman.   Literally the only question I have on Chase is when he gets locked up with a tackle can he get free. As you said his first step is so overwhelming he will have them on their heels. But these are NFL tackles not Purdue tackles so we have to see.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

UKskins, that video is crazy. He really does look like a safety, but he’s carrying 265. 

I know.  That man is going to be a force for us this season.

Can't wait to see him leave Dak eating dirt.