Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we get a full season, I think he can break Jevon Kearse's rookie sack record of 14.5.  This is the right player, the right coaching staff, and the right surrounding team to make it happen.

With his attitude and abilities, if his game translates quickly to the NFL, with the other weapons around him that have to be addressed, you're absolutely right. While I'm sure there are some veterans that will be able to stone him and some coaches that will focus on taking him out of the game, he's going to have some unlucky LTs that just aren't ready for him and wlll get lit up.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

With his attitude and abilities, if his game translates quickly to the NFL, with the other weapons around him that have to be addressed, you're absolutely right. While I'm sure there are some veterans that will be able to stone him and some coaches that will focus on taking him out of the game, he's going to have some unlucky LTs that just aren't ready for him and wlll get lit up.

The surrounding talent is good enough that OCs will have to pick their poison with the protections they use.  Io and Payne demand doubles, stopping them has to be the first design of the protection.  So OCs are going to have to keep the RB back to help the OTs on Chase's side, or have the TE help/chip.  So that means the other edge rusher will get one on ones and it also means Chase will get easy snaps when the offense has their backs and TEs run routes.

Vet OTs will be able to use tricks and techniques to get Chase off balance on occasion, but the thing that makes Chase special is his speed, and there is only so much you can do to against that kind of explosive speed.  OCs and QBs are going to have to help out their OTs by running a quick passing game because Chase is going to be able to beat most OTs and get pressure on long drops and slow developing vertical route concepts.

Jonathan Allen and Ryan Kerrigan are excellent play finishers.  They're really going to benefit from the one on ones they'll get as a result of the attention that Io, Payne, and Chase will command.  My guess is that, if Chase doesn't approach that 14.5 sack number, it's because Allen and Kerrigan are having huge years and finishing the plays for the defense.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I certainly hope so, and he has the talent to do it, but given the limited offseason work we might want to temper that sort of expectation a bit perhaps. Until now most rookies would have been in minicamps and OTAs and would have been able to start getting used to the speed of the NFL game along with one on one NFL coaching. Chase hasn't been able to do that. I'm curious to see how he looks at TC without those earlier offseason reps. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The surrounding talent is good enough that OCs will have to pick their poison with the protections they use.  Io and Payne demand doubles, stopping them has to be the first design of the protection.  So OCs are going to have to keep the RB back to help the OTs on Chase's side, or have the TE help/chip.  So that means the other edge rusher will get one on ones and it also means Chase will get easy snaps when the offense has their backs and TEs run routes.

Vet OTs will be able to use tricks and techniques to get Chase off balance on occasion, but the thing that makes Chase special is his speed, and there is only so much you can do to against that kind of explosive speed.  OCs and QBs are going to have to help out their OTs by running a quick passing game because Chase is going to be able to beat most OTs and get pressure on long drops and slow developing vertical route concepts.

Jonathan Allen and Ryan Kerrigan are excellent play finishers.  They're really going to benefit from the one on ones they'll get as a result of the attention that Io, Payne, and Chase will command.  My guess is that, if Chase doesn't approach that 14.5 sack number, it's because Allen and Kerrigan are having huge years and finishing the plays for the defense.

Not only all of this, but it's going to be very hard for an elite OT to stonewall Chase because JDR is very likely to scheme around this. I expect we will see Chase play from both sides and they will use him to pick on slower RT prospects when they can. Chase was also very effective stunting or twisting inside in college, or even blitzing inside from an ILB alignment. I expect to see all of these wrinkles. 

If Chase beats Jevon Kearse's sack record, I almost can imagine the hype that will generate in Washington. I would love to see that and a very good season from Haskins. Those two things would make me feel very secure in our future. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Off topic, but I need help finding the right term to describe Kerrigan and Allen.  We need a term for that style of pass rusher where they're always next to the QB, with good balance and can shed in either direction, but they haven't quite beaten their blocker.

Clean-up sacks don't quite fit the bill, because the term is usually used when they've been stonewalled and the QB happens to scramble/move right next to them.  Allen/Kerrigan have fought their way close to the QB, which isn't the same as a usual clean-up sack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we get a full season, I think he can break Jevon Kearse's rookie sack record of 14.5.  This is the right player, the right coaching staff, and the right surrounding team to make it happen.

I'd be shocked.  The Titans went 13-3 in Kearse's rookie year, and made it to the Super Bowl.  We'll probably be playing from behind on defense for the vast majority of our snaps.  That will make it hard for Chase to tee off on the QB as much as he'd be able to on a team with a great offense.

Though, the dramatic increase in passing plays from 1999 to 2020 may make up for that a bit.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

On 7/23/2020 at 1:37 PM, Anselmheifer said:

...If Chase beats Jevon Kearse's sack record....Those two things would make me feel very secure in our future. 

With Ion,Allen,Payne, and Settle I expect nothing less than a dominant front and a run at history.  I believe DC'S will make the vets beat them though which would mean a more balanced stat sheet at the end of the year.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don’t think our offense is good enough for us to get the record, but ironically, our poor secondary may help. It’s really going to be a temptation for teams to pass the ball.

You’re right about our DL talent. It’s going to make it harder to scheme for Chase. I’d line Chase Young up next to Ioannidis all day. Hard to handle that interior power right next to Chase’s speed. 

The other thing I’d like to see are some exotic blitz packages that get all of our speed guys on the field. Ohio State ran a fair amount of SAM blitzes, with the SAM looping to the interior of a Chase Young outside speed rush. This could be incredibly effective given how much respect guys like Ioannidis will command. I’d love to see some packages with Sweat lined up as a SAM on 3rd and long, and bringing that specific blitz. Or, imagine showing that and backing off and having Micah Parsons run an A gap blitz. This defense could be so scary with a bit more talent...

On 7/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Off topic, but I need help finding the right term to describe Kerrigan and Allen.  We need a term for that style of pass rusher where they're always next to the QB, with good balance and can shed in either direction, but they haven't quite beaten their blocker.

Clean-up sacks don't quite fit the bill, because the term is usually used when they've been stonewalled and the QB happens to scramble/move right next to them.  Allen/Kerrigan have fought their way close to the QB, which isn't the same as a usual clean-up sack.

Just spit-balling here:

Opportunity sacks?

Positional sacks?

Vicinity sacks?

:229:The Rook

McLaurin is still probably a tier 2 receiver. A lot of these lost voters are cautious of one year over achievers and while I don’t believe that’s what he will be, I understand the hesitation to put him high up and in the top 100. I think he’ll be there. 

Young has a higher upside right now because of draft position. If he lives up to the hype, he’ll be top 100 next year for sure

Winning fixes perception.  If we suddenly won 10 games and made the playoffs, we'd have a few guys on the list.  If we won 13, we'd have even more.  A team's win total will inflate the status of the teams players.

You guys saw where Nick Bosa was ranked.  He should be on the list, but not that high and not above the season TJ Watt put out.  The Niners were a contender for the entirety of the season, whereas the Steelers were never.  So players just voted up a high profile guy on a contender.

Chase Young has enough hype already that if he gets 10 sacks, he's likely on the list regardless of our Win total.  But if we get at least 8 wins, I'm betting Chase Young's spot will be higher than he might deserve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

McLaurin is still probably a tier 2 receiver. A lot of these lost voters are cautious of one year over achievers and while I don’t believe that’s what he will be, I understand the hesitation to put him high up and in the top 100. I think he’ll be there. 

Young has a higher upside right now because of draft position. If he lives up to the hype, he’ll be top 100 next year for sure

DK Metcalf made it though, he's not better than Terry. In my opinion Matt Ioannidis is a top 100 guy. Its debatable though, he's somewhere in the 95-115 range right now imo. He was the best player on our team last year. Other than that, we're a young team, that wasn't good at all so I'm not surprised we didn't have anyone on the list. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

DK Metcalf made it though, he's not better than Terry. In my opinion Matt Ioannidis is a top 100 guy. Its debatable though, he's somewhere in the 95-115 range right now imo. He was the best player on our team last year. Other than that, we're a young team, that wasn't good at all so I'm not surprised we didn't have anyone on the list. 

Drafted higher. More touted out of college.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Drafted higher. More touted out of college.

Team success is the main reason though. Is Nick Bosa the 17th player in the league? Is Preston Smith better than Myles Garrett? Hell no. I feel like team success was used too much in the top 100 rankings this year. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

18 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Team success is the main reason though. Is Nick Bosa the 17th player in the league? Is Preston Smith better than Myles Garrett? Hell no. I feel like team success was used too much in the top 100 rankings this year. 

Myles Garrett had a... uhh... situation. And Nick Bosa had the hype train.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2