Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

On 7/3/2020 at 7:04 AM, bakedtater1 said:

If chase young is from Maryland why wouldn't he go to a college in that area?..I guess same thing for all the other players who do that..

Because University of Maryland sucks if you want an actual college experience. That isn't even going into their mediocre(at best)football program.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:04 AM, bakedtater1 said:

If chase young is from Maryland why wouldn't he go to a college in that area?..I guess same thing for all the other players who do that..

Could be a number of reasons. A lot of kids want to get away from home when they go to college. I would venture to Guess that Bama THE Ohio State University has one of the better development records when it comes to college football. Or maybe he just really despises LEDO pizza... 

Edited by duffy

23 minutes ago, duffy said:

Could be a number of reasons. A lot of kids want to get away from home when they go to college. I would venture to Guess that Bama has one of the best development records when it comes to college football. Or maybe he just really despises LEDO pizza... 

he went to Ohio State. I don’t think Alabama has a great track record with developing DL talent. They have had a bunch of solid NLF players, but their DB’s and LB’s have been better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, duffy said:

Could be a number of reasons. A lot of kids want to get away from home when they go to college. I would venture to Guess that Bama has one of the best development records when it comes to college football. Or maybe he just really despises LEDO pizza... 

I assume Ledo Pizza is a pizza joint in Maryland.. I appreciate the responses y'all... makes complete sense if you want to be the best you got to be part of the best of the best

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

he went to Ohio State. I don’t think Alabama has a great track record with developing DL talent. They have had a bunch of solid NLF players, but their DB’s and LB’s have been better. 

Haha oops! I that's what I get for not paying enough attention to what I was typing. I'll fix it. Thanks for catching that! 

25 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I assume Ledo Pizza is a pizza joint in Maryland.. I appreciate the responses y'all... makes complete sense if you want to be the best you got to be part of the best of the best

Haha yeah, it's a local pizza place born in College Park, MD. 

I'm a vacuum, I'm sure Maryland has incredible facilities. But when you start comparing them to the perennial championship contenders' facilities, I'll bet you can spot some differences. Not to mention the quality of the coaching. 

12 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Yeah this is something I've noticed as well. Bama seems to put out really solid, pro-ready, but not spectacular DL talent. They're guys you can take pretty early in the draft and be close to positive that they won't bust. But they're also somewhat unlikely to be true game changers. We have two of them in Allen and Payne. Both very good players, but not guys that defenses need to game plan around.

Not sure there is really a pattern of college programs consistently putting out elite NFL position groups.  Maybe LSU defensive backs and Notre Dame/Wisconsin OLs.  But this stratosphere of player is extremely rare by definition and the players tend to come from all over the country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not sure there is really a pattern of college programs consistently putting out elite NFL position groups.  Maybe LSU defensive backs and Notre Dame/Wisconsin OLs.  But this stratosphere of player is extremely rare by definition and the players tend to come from all over the country.

Yeah, now that I think about it, there's probably very little difference in the player development effectiveness between say a Maryland program versus an Ohio state. It just seems that way because many of the top high school players flock to these "elite" programs. Maryland would be considered an elite program if enough 4 and 5 stars signed to play there and improved the program's standing. 

As for patterns, you're right about LSU, Notre Dame and Wisconsin. I would add Penn State for linebackers, but that may be a little outdated now (although that Parsons kid looks pretty good 😁

Also the idea of iron sharpens iron, in regards to top recruits going to elite programs. 

The idea that an elite talent going up against other freaks for 3 years in practice has great value and being a part of that type community. We’re talking small percentages of compound interest, but it all adds up in the grand scheme of player development. The player is exposed to greater risk when in an environment that could breed complacency and boredom. 

The mentality Young appears to have is earned through consistent skillful daily repetition fostered in an elite football community. 

Less risk when a player goes to a major program. Mitigating risk is all it comes down to. 

There are A LOT of Rooks that have yet to sign with their teams to my knowledge.

Do we expect these players to show up? Should they even show up? Are they allowed to show up? (You could skirt that whole player limit in the building thing by having unsigned rookies?)

In a world where we are still unclear about how a lot of the Covid response will play out, coming in to practice may be hard for some rookies w/o contracts to swallow. (Zombie Pun)

Just now, Vanguard said:

Cool.  Now all they have to do is play like it.  👍

Exactly. Preseason rankings are all well and good, and are a lot like wetting your pants: You get the initial relief, but then the discomfort sets in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Is it true that Chase hasn't signed his contract yet? I've been out of the loop on football matters.

If not, what's the hold up? Camps are about to open.

We're not alone. 5 of the top 10 picks haven't signed yet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Chase holdout- Day 2. We can call it a holdout right?

I don't think he's the only one. I'm not sure I'd necessarily call it a "hold out" as there really isn't "negotiation", for the most part, with rookie pay scales implemented. Probably has more to do with logistics and COVID than anything else. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Chase holdout- Day 2. We can call it a holdout right?

Given that none of the rookies had signed yet, it's not a holdout.  This is the first time they've been to team facilities in order to sign a contract.  So I think, technically (might be wrong) that tomorrow would be the first day of holding out.  Cause this is Day 0 right?