Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

So many of you here hated on Cousins and thought it was crazy to pay him such an enormous amount of money. Well, its been 1.5 seasons, do you regret letting him go?  I loved him, I thought he was the best qb we had in 20 years and even made a pathetic phone call to the Redskins office begging them to do whatever they could to keep Kirk.  Of course, Bruce (as usual) screwed it up.

But so many of you on here were happy to rid yourselves of Cousins, where are you now in the decision?  I don't ask this to be a smart alec, Im generally curious.  Those of you who hated him, didn't think he was worth the money, etc, are you happy hes gone?  Do you regret the move?  I always felt like letting him go and getting Alex Smith, who was just a worst version of Kirk and much older, was the dumbest move in Bruces career. 

Letting Kirk Cousins go without getting anything in return is a failure that has no justification. There were three options available. You sign him, you trade him or you lose him for nothing. The Redskins took the option that made zero sense. This is how dumb the organization is.

Not a fair question in context.  Would I have given him a contract after his first full year as a starter instead of seeing if he can do it again?  Yes.  Would I have given him the fully guaranteed contract Vikings did to keep him here?  No.

I have no regrets on how it played out because the biggest problem wasnt letting him go, it was not replacing him.  I regretted letting Djax go, put he hasnt played a game since he lite us up week 1.  Wed be in a different situation if we didnt trade for Alex Smith and extended him.

Kirk is making more then hes worth in the right situation.  Hed jus be another overpaid QB here, we can do better if the going rate is overpaying QBs, even the great ones.

Why you blaming me? I didn't fail to re-sign him. 

He was the best QB we've had in a long time. He's certainly better than the trash we have on the roster now. That being said, I never felt like he was the type of QB to lead us to a ring. Too many failures in clutch moments. Too many turnovers. Too often showed up small when we needed him most. 

11 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

He had value in the eyes of other teams no matter what our opinion was of him.  Letting him walk without even a measly mid round draft pick was another huge screw job by the FO.  

That without a doubt was the biggest bloody murder of the whole thing.  I wish I could go back in time and see why didnt even entertain the idea of trading him. Oh, that's right, Scott wanted to and it cost him his job.

Redskins were treading water with Kirk Cousins.  You don't max a guy for treading water.  Redskins only mistakes with Kirk was passing on an affordable contract early and Franchise tagging him twice just to tread water.  At least tag and trade but that would've made sense.

Archived