Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

Just now, volsmet said:

That’s an awfully undisciplined response from someone who aims to show his cool demeanor. 

ok, master debater, lol, you can start by answering the 2 questions you conveniently have by-passed.   what, the ben shapiro school of debating didnt teach you fanboys to address all questions before making claims of debate skills?   Hahaha.

4 minutes ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

wow, what I would say in response to this crap would get me kicked off so I have just two questions for you:

1 .  what does Kirk Cousins have to do where you would say "I was wrong" ?

2.  what was YOUR plan for the QB position in Washington then?  Let him go and go get WHO in the draft or in FA?

Actually win a game when it counts. Kirk has been Matt Stafford 2.0. A QB that continually puts up big numbers and wins nothing. The only thing worse than having no QB is bogging down your salary cap with middle of the road QB at an elite QB's salary. Teams with Elite QBs with big salaries have a hard time winning championship. If your QB has the salary and not the elite ability, your team is screwed.

1 minute ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

ok, master debater, lol, you can start by answering the 2 questions you conveniently have by-passed.   what, the ben shapiro school of debating didnt teach you fanboys to address all questions before making claims of debate skills?   Hahaha.

How many times must your questions be answered? Perhaps you could have a neighbor come over & read the thread aloud to you, that may speed this up a bit.

2 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

Actually win a game when it counts. Kirk has been Matt Stafford 2.0. A QB that continually puts up big numbers and wins nothing. The only thing worse than having no QB is bogging down your salary cap with middle of the road QB at an elite QB's salary. Teams with Elite QBs with big salaries have a hard time winning championship. If your QB has the salary and not the elite ability, your team is screwed.

hey, at least you're willing to attempt to answer the question unlike master debater boy.   But, your answer.....win a game when it counts.  That's it?  Like, win 1 game when it counts and then you'll admit you were completely wrong on Cousins?  Really?!  That's it?  Like, how are you going to define "a game when it counts".   A regular season game against a better opponent?  A game to get into the playoffs?  A single playoff game?  Does he have to win the Super Bowl this year to say maybe we should not have gone the alex smith (for almost the same amount of money!) , followed by these others guys after Smith's injury.  Lets just define the terms.  And there's a second question you missed but at least as of this response you got more debate skills than the volunteer.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Ah, I’ve never seen it, just the meme. I didn’t know if it was a commercial or a movie, but I did know the meme I saw most frequently was spelled a bit differently. 

The Millers is one of the funniest movies in recent years.  A lot of funny moments.  If you are looking for something entertaining to watch on Sundays around 1 pm, check it out.  

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

How many times must your questions be answered? Perhaps you could have a neighbor come over & read the thread aloud to you, that may speed this up a bit.

once.   instead of sending me on a wild goose chase through a thread, you can just simply answer the questions right here, right now, so I get notified and I dont have to waste more time finding your responses.  I know, that's a tough and unfair concept to make you respond directly to the specific questions I asked and not your "plan" somewhere hidden in this thread that may or may not answer the specific questions.  your claims of debate skills over me are unfounded. i cant even get you to do simply reply and comment.

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

We traded a 3rd and Kendall Fuller for Alex Smith whom we immediately gave a 4 year extension with $71million guaranteed

We let Cousins walk for nothing.   (ahem:   nbcsports: Eagles trade Sam Bradford to Vikings for 1st-, 4th-rd picks)

Can't even count how many regrets I got in there. 

We should have retained the pick & Fuller & let Kirk walk. All of that money wasted on guys you can replicate without much effort. 

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

We should have retained the pick & Fuller & let Kirk walk. All of that money wasted on guys you can replicate without much effort. 

that's a lazy response.   So, let kirk walk as in not try to trade him beforehand?  And no effort to replicate this production yet he sits 31 other teams have QBs ranked lower than he.  Obviously, several are better than Cousins.  But many are not, especially any who have played in DC, including that fella Case who you mentioned recently.  The Skins have had much effort to replicate it, and they havent.  So you're wrong there.

Just now, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

once.   instead of sending me on a wild goose chase through a thread, you can just simply answer the questions right here, right now, so I get notified and I dont have to waste more time finding your responses.  I know, that's a tough and unfair concept to make you respond directly to the specific questions I asked and not your "plan" somewhere hidden in this thread that may or may not answer the specific questions.  your claims of debate skills over me are unfounded. i cant even get you to do simply reply and comment.

Wild goose chase? I, quite literally, posted it again after you asked.

If you were able to keep up with the thread, you’d have not needed to ask a question I had already addressed. If you had any humility, you’d have acknowledged how kind it was of me to repost something you were unable to locate. Do you take ownership of any of your failures, or just blame others? I can’t walk you through the thread any more delicately - your limitations make the interaction difficult to take seriously, though it bolsters my previously held belief that letting Kirk walk was for the best. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

hey, at least you're willing to attempt to answer the question unlike master debater boy.   But, your answer.....win a game when it counts.  That's it?  Like, win 1 game when it counts and then you'll admit you were completely wrong on Cousins?  Really?!  That's it?  Like, how are you going to define "a game when it counts".   A regular season game against a better opponent?  A game to get into the playoffs?  A single playoff game?  Does he have to win the Super Bowl this year to say maybe we should not have gone the alex smith (for almost the same amount of money!) , followed by these others guys after Smith's injury.  Lets just define the terms.  And there's a second question you missed but at least as of this response you got more debate skills than the volunteer.

Stop being facetious. If you watched Kirk when he was here or heck even last year in Minnesota. You know exactly what I mean. Last game of the 2016-17 Season. Redskins need to beat the Giants to get in the playoffs. A Giants team with nothing to play for. So what does Kirk do? Toss two INTs. That's the pattern with him. Against good teams, he often falters. That isn't the mark of franchise QB. Everyone has an off night. With Kirk his off night always happen when you need him to come through.

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Says the guy who complains that he’s being tasked with following a 4 page thread. 

If mods would allow it, this thread would be much more entertaining. 

let me know when you're ready to show off those debate skills, sweetie.  Particularly, since one of the questions I posed to you has no possibility of being answered in your little "plan" in some comment somewhere, which of course you won't address.   I won.

Just now, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

let me know when you're ready to show off those debate skills, sweetie.  Particularly, since one of the questions I posed to you has no possibility of being answered in your little "plan" in some comment somewhere, which of course you won't address.   I won.

You’re out of your depth. 

10 minutes ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

A plan would have been to actually attempt to rebuild with the young pieces in place. No Smith, no Cousins. The team needs to stop pretending it's closer to contender than pretender and commit to something. Build from the trenches out, which they actually started doing with a solid OL and a potentially lethal DL. Things were actually going somewhere, but the Smith trade was a pisspoor attempt to expedite that process. 

10 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

Stop being facetious. If you watched Kirk when he was here or heck even last year in Minnesota. You know exactly what I mean. Last game of the 2016-17 Season. Redskins need to beat the Giants to get in the playoffs. A Giants team with nothing to play for. So what does Kirk do? Toss two INTs. That's the pattern with him. Against good teams, he often falters. That isn't the mark of franchise QB. Everyone has an off night. With Kirk his off night always happen when you need him to come through.

No, I dont know what you mean.  I asked a simple question.  What does he have to do?  You said "win a game that matters".   He played in washington for most of his starts to this point.  washington is arguably the worst professional sports team in all of the 4 major professional sports.  I am not eliminating everything Cousins did in Washington to say he can only be defined by a game or two per season.  Because he PLAYED in WASHINGTON.   Where Hall of Fame coaches are losers.  Where super bowl winning coaches are losers.  Where heisman trophy winning cant miWRITE THIS DOWN IN YOUR NOTEBOOK:   The 4th ROUND DRAFT PICK KIRK COUSINS WAS AN OVERACHIEVER BY SURVIVING THIS GARBAGE FRANCHISE AND BEING THE #1 REASON FOR THEM EVEN BEING COMPETENT during his starting tenure.ss players are losers.

PS  You still never actually answered the question.  Which is ON PURPOSE.  I know.  I know this tactic.  It's what everybody does online.  Nobody wants to commit themselves to an actual defined answer for fear that the guy (cousins in this case) lives up to expectations (as I know he will) and then you'll be wrong.  TO avoid that, you make general statements like "just win a game that matters..."   which is a bogus way of answering the question.  when i point out reasons why his time in washington was actually successful (above), you need a new strategy.  I'm going to assume you mean take the vikings to another level.  He needs to get them into the playoffs and he needs to at least win a game in the playoffs if not two, right?  There - I'll answer it for you.  Unless you have a different answer......

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

You’re out of your depth. 

you lost baby.  bye felicia.  next time, answer the questions.  then you have a shot against me.

I never understood the hatred of Cousins. We had a top offense with him and he holds many franchise records. The fact that he was able to have productive seasons while playing  for this joke of an organization says something about him.

For 20 years we were begging for a franchise QB. Someone that we drafted and could consistently put us in position to win games. Well we had that with Cousins but for some reason it wasn't good enough.

"But he cant beat good teams", that's crap. It takes a lot more than a good QB to beat great teams and win playoff games. 

If Haskins puts up Cousins stats then drafting Haskins will be considered a success. 

Bruce botched the whole Cousins deal. Go figure.

Yes, letting Cousins walk was dumb.  Just like Williams, and any other good player here, Snyder can’t build a team to save his life.

So here we are now, with a broken low end starter, a long time journeyman, a below average backup and a rookie.  With know coaches who know how to plan to their strengths.

7 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You’re asking a bunch of people that pinned the failures (which now look like great feats) of the team on him.  

A great many of these people championed the move to Alex Smith and really believed the team was 6-3 last year because Alex was a ‘gamer’ and a ‘winner’ that Kirk was not.  Nevermind the fact that every time Alex played a good team, they got destroyed. 

So I don’t think you’ll ever get many of these guys to admit how stupid it was for this organizations or it’s fans to turn their noses up at Kirk.

That said, Kirk isn’t the type of QB to right this ship.  I’m not sure any QB is though really.  Way too many wasted resources here to build a roster Kirk is capable of leading anywhere meaningful.  If anything, signing Kirk long term would have led to more years of Bruce Allen, and Kirk being the scapegoat for his ineptitude.

BSF is talking about me! I feel honored. 

No. I do not regret not signing Kirk to a ridiculous contract. One he is not worth. I am not an advocate of paying a QB that large of a percentage of the teams cap. The Redskins failures to put a winner on the field aren’t due to the fact Cousins aren’t here, it’s due to reliance on injury prone players and poor roster construction.

I love me some Alex Smith. But his contract is an absolute albatross, too. The Falcons paid Matt Ryan and they have the same record we do. And it can be argued that Ryan is a better QB than Cousins. 

What I DO regret is that the Redskins let that situation fester. When they could have signed him for much cheaper they should have. And then they got nothing for him when he left. That’s the part I regret. 

Definitely not the part about paying him $30M/year.

I regret that the team didn't sign him when the rumored asking price was $75M over 5 years ($15M per), at that price and with backups costing about another $5M, this team could have shored up the receiving, offensive line, and DB corps with some solid players.

Now the free agent Kirk Cousins contract would have been one to walk away from, not because of the dollar amount, which is pretty much the league average for starting QB not on a rookie contract. Not because of the dollars, but because of the length. A 3 year contract for someone who has already had the tag put on them is way too short, and hurts the building of the team in the short run and not the long run.

Kirk's agent though has really set him up. After 4 years of being paid as a 4th rounder, the 2 franchise tags and this contract have set him up to over $130M in career earnings, and he becomes an UFA in 2021 when the new CBA comes into effect and the cap is rumored to go up bigly.

15 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

What does he have to do?

I will give you my opinion and I promise you I have no problem with being wrong so if he eventually proves me wrong I will come right on this forum and wish him congratulations. I would also suggest asking some of the fans on the Vikes board, I'm sure you won't have any problems getting feedback from them concerning Kirk.

To Answer Your Question:

So he's already missed the playoffs in year 1 so he definitely needs to make the playoffs these next 2 years, win a division in one of those 2 years and make a deep run into the playoffs in one of those 2 years. I'm realistic and I think it's unfair to say he has to win a Superbowl to earn that contract but he should at least make the NFC Championship game once.

It would also help if he beats a team that is considered a contender (It has never happened, he did beat a 10 win Green Bay team in 2016 and then he lost 4 of his next 6 games and we missed the playoffs and then he beat a 9 win Seattle team that didn't make the playoffs in 2017.  I wanted to point that out so the Kirk fanboys don't get mad at me.). His best chance will be this week when he plays a beat up Chiefs team who won't have their all world QB and has several other injuries they are dealing with including Fuller.

Archived