Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time To Change The Name?

Veryoldschool

I don't believe it is either, I like Redskins, but with too much idle time on my hands today I decided to think of an alternative that might fit the team and, more importantly, the city.    I came up with the Washington Regulators.  No ethnic group could take offense, no cultural appropriation, racism or anything else objectionable.  The team could keep the same colors and I was thinking the logo on the helmet could be a rubber stamp that says FUNDED.  Maybe we could do better than that but what about this adaptation of the fight song?

Hail to the Regulators!

Hail Policy!

Bloviation and hypocrisy!

Gridlock in old D.C!

Waste and Crony capitalism galore, special Interests want more!

Buy ‘em Coopt ‘em

Fund it!  Waste it, make the debt soar!

Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won

Persons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Regulators!

Hail Policy!

Bloviation and hypocrisy!

Gridlock in old D.C!

Sick of this topic, it doesn't merit a thread?  Agreed, but I just couldn't think of anything more to add to the stimulating trade or release Trent thread, I'm spent, and I felt like posting something whimsical.  Think this idea sucks?  I do too but let's see if you can come up with a new name and fight song adaptation that is better.

Ive always defended the "Redskins" name.  I don't believe it offends the masses of Native Americans as name change proponents claim.  Having said that - im coming around to wanting a name change.  Not because I think it should be changed but because I don't really like Dan having anything to do with the Redskins franchise I grew up loving.

At this point a name change would make permanently ending my fandom much easier.  It pisses me off that Dan is associated with this once great respected organization.  He is and will always be nothing but a **** stain in NFL history.

14 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Ive always defended the "Redskins" name.  I don't believe it offends the masses of Native Americans as name change proponents claim.  Having said that - im coming around to wanting a name change.  Not because I think it should be changed but because I don't really like Dan having anything to do with the Redskins franchise I grew up loving.

At this point a name change would make permanently ending my fandom much easier.  It pisses me off that Dan is associated with this once great respected organization.  He is and will always be nothing but a **** stain in NFL history.

Okay, what would you change it to?

I am not sure how anyone can look at the name RED-SKINS and not think it is anything but offensive especially when combined with the logo. Change the name already.

4 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Okay, what would you change it to?

Capitals, Nationals, Valor are all better sounding then Redskins. 

No matter how benign its origins, it has clearly become a racist epithet that has deleterious effects on persons of color, and that is why Nabisco and its ilk must no longer call their cookies Oreos. Generations of successful African American men have suffered enough from this malicious slur. Join the fight.

#changethecookie

Washington *******

Washington Snyders

Washington Allens

Washington BruceyDannys

Washington Trumps

In all seriousness, the name will change in about a decade.  If Snyder ever gets a stadium deal, I can see that being a condition of getting money for a new stadium.

The Washington Redskins we knew died when Joe Gibbs retired the first time back in 1993.

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

I'm close to this too...if only they could retro-fit the new name to everything that happened after 1998, that would be perfect. Once the Cookes were gone, the Redskins name shouldn't be tarnished. 

This is not gonna going well... It's been stated few years ago that everything related to the team name will be in the tailgate, because well... Those types of discussions always ends up on anything that isn't Redskins related...

This being said, I second Rufus. You don't think it's worth it? Then don't do it...

Archived