Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time To Change The Name?

Veryoldschool

20 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Isn't there already a thread topic on this. Might be my memory going but thought there was one.

The original post was a lighthearted joke.  I didn't intend to start a serious discussion and regret the original post, I would delete it if I could.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know youd never see a native American family and say those Redskins over there.

Change the name

Would you ever see a group of Latinos and say "those Browns over there"?

Would you ever talk about gay neighbors as the Packers next door?

Would you ever walk into a Black Entrepreneur Society meeting and shout out "Hey Oreos!"

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Would you ever see a group of Latinos and say "those Browns over there"?

Would you ever talk about gay neighbors as the Packers next door?

Would you ever walk into a Black Entrepreneur Society meeting and shout out "Hey Oreos!"

Not sure what point you're trying to make with this post or your other "oreo" one earlier but you're saying more about yourself than I think you intend, bringing us down these neural pathways with you. 

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make with this post or your other "oreo" one earlier but you're saying more about yourself than I think you intend, bringing us down these neural pathways with you. 

What I am saying is that almost any word can become a racial slur if used in the wrong context, ergo, to define Redskins as an epithet despite extensive research by Yves Goddard, the leading Indigenous American linguist that its origins are not only benign but originated from within the Indigenous people's themselves is as ridiculous as saying Nabisco needs to change the name of Oreos because Webster's defines it as a racial slur. Reductio ad absurdum.

As much as I always loved the name and logo, it's probably time for a change. Regardless of what the polls say that a high percentage of Native Americans don't find the name offensive, I'm sure it offends a whole lot of Native Americans and Americans in general. When we suck, the name controversy kind of stays quiet. When and if we're good again, the name controversy picks up steam. If the day comes where we reach a SB as the Redskins, the 2 weeks leading up to the game will not be about how good of a team we are, but how controversial and offensive our name is. It would be a major distraction to the team and likely be an NFL PR nightmare. 

I don't know what the answer is. But for the people who are offended by the name and for the overall betterment of the team, it probably would be a good decision at this point to change the name.

• TSO locked this topic

Archived