Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Wow... Haskins not even active... He must have done something to piss off the organization for this to happen like this.  It appears he is done in Washington.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Dropped him to 3rd string inactive.  Wow.  That's rough.  There's gotta be more to this story that they don't like.

He did something to piss them off. He went from starting on Sunday night to inactive Wednesday. I’m curious if they’re talking about trading him internally. 

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

All I can say is that I'm not in favor of this move and now am in the negatives on Ron. The one positive is that Allen is only 24 instead of going to Smith, but this move sucks and is not a developmental move. We'll see what Allen has but I am not a fan of this move. 

Right, developing Haskins = okay. Developing Allen = not okay. That makes no sense whatsoever. Playing a 24 year old definitely isn’t developmental... at all. 

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Dropped him to 3rd string inactive.  Wow.  That's rough.  There's gotta be more to this story that they don't like.

Could be about the work ethic and not putting the time in.  I trust Rivera and the decision. We'll worry about the future QB next year.  

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not sure I fully agree with the move to start Allen, to be honest. At least not yet. Unless the idea is that either he’s much better or worse and it’s either dooming for Haskins or a major help to him.

I don’t think this is the place I’d change unless the motivation was Aaron Donald. If Allen does well it’s obvious he’s a better fit. If he does poorly it could mean it’s not Haskins.

I have to wonder what happened behind the scenes with this change as well. They said the other day Haskins would start. 

And really, that’s probably why I wouldn’t have changed this week. Once I said Haskins would start I don’t want to back off from it. 

I’m sure the agent tweeting has something to do with this but obviously that’s conjecture. As well as not listening to a coach saying to throw it in the end zone. 

You would know if this is true more than most here being a coach.  Shanny said this morning (before the benching) that his opinions on players were more formed in practice than in games -- suggesting that if he saw the same concerns in practice and that translated to games he would find that very meaningful.  He flat out said their opinion about Haskins is more likely to be formed by the practices they watch than anything else.  Sound right or do you have different take?

2 minutes ago, superozman said:

Wow.  Extremely disappointed in this move.  So disappointed.  To the point something better  have happened behind the scenes or I'm extremely frustrated with Ron.  

2 weeks ago we are not calling timeouts because of lack of preseason and being cautious about injuries.

Yet, we won't let our young QB develop without a preseason.  I get frustrated with the losses too.  But lets remember Kyle Allen looked just like Dwayne has, last year.  OH, and by the way, our ****ty offense beat the panthers with KA at the helm last year.

Allen has had some big games. Haskins can't run the offense. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

You would know if this is true more than most here being a coach.  Shanny said this morning (before the benching) that his opinions in players were more formed in practice than in games -- suggesting that if he saw the same concerns in practice and that translated to games he would find that very meaningful.  He flat out said their opinion about Haskins is more likely to be formed by the practices they watch than anything else.  Sound right or do you have a different take?

Absolutely. Sometimes, though, you have a guy who is just a gamer. But the opposite is true, too, at times.

Just a wild guess, but I suspect words were spoken when Haskins found out that he wouldn't be starting this week.  Words that couldn't be taken back.

The WTF is the NFL's version of The Bachelor.  Every season becomes "the most dramatic season ever!"  Fun for a while, then you just start expecting this ****.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

He did something to piss them off. He went from starting on Sunday night to inactive Wednesday. I’m curious if they’re talking about trading him internally. 

I'd assume so too but I'd gather he was on thin ice already, that wasn't hard to gauge by Rivera's comments in recent weeks. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Right, developing Haskins = okay. Developing Allen = not okay. That makes no sense whatsoever. Playing a 24 year old definitely isn’t developmental... at all. 

No I have no problem with developing Allen. I'm not anti Allen. I would have been anti-Smith. 

But QB is not a rotational position. You can't let Allen get 2 games while Haskins sits and watches. I thought Haskins was playing well enough to keep the job and grow as a starter in the league. We'll see with Allen and I'm by no means opposed to him as a QB. This mirrors my take on the Kirk situation, just because I was ok with letting RG3 grow and learn as a pocket passr doesn't mean that I would despise the team for starting Kirk afterwards.

But I just think its dirty the way they're doing Haskins

1 minute ago, theTruthTeller said:

Just a wild guess, but I suspect words were spoken when Haskins found out that he wouldn't be starting this week.  Words that couldn't be taken back.

I'd bet that Haskins, Rivera and Turner had words about the in-game test and what it means to pass and fail the test. 

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

No I have no problem with developing Allen. I'm not anti Allen. I would have been anti-Smith. 

But QB is not a rotational position. You can't let Allen get 2 games while Haskins sits and watches. I thought Haskins was playing well enough to keep the job and grow as a starter in the league. We'll see with Allen and I'm by no means opposed to him as a QB. This mirrors my take on the Kirk situation, just because I was ok with letting RG3 grow and learn as a pocket passr doesn't mean that I would despise the team for starting Kirk afterwards.

You’re deciding it’s dirty without knowing what’s happening. Did you think Haskins agent tweeting like that was okay? What do you think his teammates thought about that? Is it possible that factored in? Is it possible more happened we aren’t aware of?

Haskins has been poor but I absolutely cannot understand this move. I don't think you can preach patience and then make such a move after 11 starts - and let's be honest, Haskins is done here now. Either you practice the patience you preach or you don't. But if you don't then please also hold every other player accountable.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Absolutely. Sometimes, though, you have a guy who is just a gamer. But the opposite is true, too, at times.

Clearly, their evaluation of Haskins isn't purely the 4 games we watched.  Shanny's point was it goes much deeper than that, you got camp (beat guys said Haskins wasn't always that hot in camp) and practices.  

As a layperson, even I could see in camp a year ago, Haskins accuracy was wild.   It wasn't hard to see at all. The data points the coaches are working with are much deeper than ours.

I have to admit though Haskins bumped to #3 is to me the wilder part of this.  That's almost like they are saying adios to him.  I bet Rivera though will use coach speak in his presser.  They thought it would be good for Haskins to watch.   It wasn't about Dwyane but Kyle killing it in practice, stuff like that.  Will see. 

It might appear that way to some on the surface but there is more to this.  Something happened beyond what happens on the field on Sundays.  His practice, his attitude, words that were said... who knows but there is more to the story.  Thus Im going to give Ron the benefit of doubt in this - he isn't the type of coach to do someone dirty in my opinion.

Think if the division wasn't there for the taking we wouldn't make this move. Allen gives us a better chance to win right now. I'm not mad at all. 

Honestly, Haskins is never going to make it here regardless. He just doesn't have it. Was blatantly clear in college how many flaws he had. One of the worst picks we've ever made. The Big Ben comparisons on here the week we drafted him were laughable.

We need to learn how to remove emotionalism from our QB thoughts. We’ve been through this too many times at this point. 

Let the people who were hired to do a job do that job. If they fail, they fail. One thing is for sure, no one was invested in anything other than Haskins doing well and being the guy. That makes their job easier. There’s no need to think anyone is/was actively trying to sabotage him, lol. 

I was as high on Haskins as anyone here going into this season, but the reality is that he’s been pretty damn awful. There’s no way around it. And there’s just too much of it that is entirely on him and not the Oline or lack of weapons. You can’t keep missing throws or being situationally unaware over and over again. You just can’t. That’s basic stuff. Even the completions looked off most of the time. It’s unfortunate, it sucks, no one wants this, but it’s the reality. 

Allen might be a pretty good spark for a little bit but I envision it goes downhill again after a few games. So I’m not sure this really benefits us, and it might only hurt our draft position in the end, but with the NFC East as bad as it is I see why Ron decided to give it a go. 

These are the type of decisions where coaches can’t help themselves and become a bit short sighted, and it’s why it’s important to have that separation of power at the top with a long term thinking GM, but I don’t think Ron is being that short sighted here. Maybe a little, lol. 

I'm guessing the agent tweet had something to do with it. Rivera probably sat down with Haskins and Haskins said something to compound the issue.

Whatever. Haskins early performance suggested he wasn't going to be any good anyway. I wanted to keep playing him but I'm with RIvera either way.

Lets see what Allen can do.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

and maybe as Haskins's confidence in this offense improves, we'll see him take more shots and trust his guys more, but we are a young team that is in its 4th game under Rivera and 4th offensive gameplan under Turner. 

It Takes Time.

I was replying to this at the time the benching came out. Rivera’s actions we’re always going to dictate the merits of this whole viewpoint that ‘we are a young team, ‘let’s slowly develop people’, bring ‘Haskins on gradually’, ‘it takes time’ etc

Seems like Rivera has seen enough for now.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This regime really ****ed the dog with Haskins.  This situation was a test for franchise, to see if we've turned the corner at all, and they failed it.  It's ugly and I'm pretty disappointed to see the same dysfunction play out as the previous two regimes.

I’d argue Haskins ****ed the dog with help from his agent. Perspective is fun.

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wasn't blown away by Kyle in the games I watched.  I'll try to keep an open mind about him.  His accuracy outside of the short stuff (similar to Haskins ironically) looked sketchy to me and he doesn't have Haskins' arm strength.  He can run, not crazy fast, but not bad.   But who knows?  Will see. 

Just now, KDawg said:

You’re deciding it’s dirty without knowing what’s happening. Did you think Haskins agent tweeting like that was okay? What do you think his teammates thought about that? Is it possible that factored in? Is it possible more happened we aren’t aware of?

Again, I raise the points I did earlier in the year. Why is he stoutly defending Apke? Why is he defending Collins? Anderson? JMc and his fumble? Sims and his fumble? 

This is a young team and they're making young team mistakes. For Rivera to put this on Haskins's shoulders as if he's to blame is complete and utter BS. 

Even more now, I stand by what I was saying this morning that THIS is why Haskins has a Smith style to his game because this is a game of politics. It wasn't performance based it was based on Ron wanting HIS guy, the guy he traded a fifth for and who started for him last year. So Haskins said that to survive he'd do what he needs to do and play it safe and take the chekdowns. 

We'll see with Allen because He had the inverse year to Haskins last year. He started off on fire then was like liquid nitrogen cool when he had 7 TDs adn 11 INTs over the last 6 games. And now Allen gets the easy part of the schedule against the swiss cheese defenses instead of Haskins playing against the elite defenses of the Eagles, Cardinals, Browns and Ravens. 

But we'll see.  I wish both Allen and Haskins the best. 

Again, I raise the points I did earlier in the year. Why is he stoutly defending Apke? Why is he defending Collins? Anderson? JMc and his fumble? Sims and his fumble? 

This is a young team and they're making young team mistakes. For Rivera to put this on Haskins's shoulders as if he's to blame is complete and utter BS. 

Even more now, I stand by what I was saying this morning that THIS is why Haskins has a Smith style to his game because this is a game of politics. It wasn't performance based it was based on Ron wanting HIS guy, the guy he traded a fifth for and who started for him last year. So Haskins said that to survive he'd do what he needs to do and play it safe and take the chekdowns. 

We'll see with Allen because He had the inverse year to Haskins last year. He started off on fire then was like liquid nitrogen cool when he had 7 TDs adn 11 INTs over the last 6 games. And now Allen gets the easy part of the schedule against the swiss cheese defenses instead of Haskins playing against the elite defenses of the Eagles, Cardinals, Browns and Ravens. 

But we'll see.  I wish both Allen and Haskins the best. 

You didn’t answer my question.

Given Haskins age/limited experience, a new coaching staff, a new offensive system, the limited offseason, and the fact we are rebuilding combined with the fact that Rivera is a loyal, well liked coach makes it quite clear...

1) Haskins isnt putting in the work

And/Or

2) Haskins isnt leading in the locker-room

There is no way that Rivera would bench Haskins due to performance given what I mentioned above. I think all of us on this board understand the tough position Haskins was put in this summer. 1 of the 2 points above clearly occurred for Rivera to do this

Archived