Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 11/9/2019 at 7:47 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Trevor Lawson? Who’s that? If you actually follow college football, you’ll know that’s not his last name. Heck, i dont even follow college football and even I know his last name!! :P 😂😂😂 (no offense :P

for the record, it’s Trevor Lawrence :) you’re welcome 

lol, my bad and yes, I do follow college ball.   I hate typing the wrong name or misspelling a name.  Thanks for quoting me.  

10 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Let's say Haskins has a good game against the Jets, but then either has games like the one against the Giants, or meh ones like the Bills game the remainder of the year.  Would you still be okay with rolling with him, or (depending on our draft position) would you want the Skins to take another QB?

Noone is expecting much from Haskins this year.

What you hope is that you see glimpses that yes, Dwayne can be developed into our franchise QB.  You see enough that you decide to build a team around him.

How Dwayne does will play a big role in who we pick as the next coach.  Dwayne shows us something, then we will be looking at a head coach willing to develop him.

If we don't see that from Dwayne, then the next coach will probably be given the latitude to either go with Haskins or the Skins draft a QB.

So let's see what happens.

I'd still draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round as backup.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:15 PM, SoCalSkins said:

Dude you do realize I am going be spot on with near certainty right? 

What is the bust rate for an NFL QB drafted in the first round? Probably north of 80 percent. What is the bust rate for Redskins first round QBs in the modern era since 1970? 100 percent.

And there you have it. According to the qb expert, the Redskins should clearly stick to trading for other teams proven qb or sign guys off the street until we find a franchise qb because there is absolutely no way we will be successful drafting a QB.

18 minutes ago, MariusVT said:

And there you have it. According to the qb expert, the Redskins should clearly stick to trading for other teams proven qb or sign guys off the street until we find a franchise qb because there is absolutely no way we will be successful drafting a QB.

I would estimate one in ten chance. Not zero. A guy like Bridgewater is probably best you’re going to get off the street. Maybe once every 10 to 15 years a Drew Brees or Kirk cousins is available.(Brees in his San Diego coming off shoulder injury not a proven legit franchise commodity form). So you do have to roll the dice and draft, but you have to label them as a bust fast and move on if they have any red flags. That way you don’t waste years hitting the lotto. The more you play the more chance to hit the jackpot.

I think Haskins is going to play well tomorrow but we still need to draft a QB. Not w our 1st pick but we need another developmental QB.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:14 PM, SoCalSkins said:

Alex picked up the Bruce habit of learning first names. “Dwight” is a bust too. 😂 

I still have hope for him but even if he fails, he’s always got the beet farm.

E4EB179C-8C6F-4660-9F11-C415D6296BC4.jpeg

I like the growth I saw from Haskins throughout this game. He’s raw, and his mechanics need a lot of work, but I like the flashes I saw (including the first bomb to McClaurin that was overturned) and the leadership I saw from him on the sidelines. 

His guys didn’t help him, with penalties and drops throughout the game, and the play calling left a lot to be desired, so for anyone putting this loss solely on Haskins, you clearly have an agenda. 

Here’s a non troll post...

He had some moments. The pass to McLaurin early that was called back being one of his better ones. 

He does a good job avoiding initial pressure. Doesn’t know what to do next, but that’s coachable. 

But there were some less than stellar moments. The same throw mentioned above, Haskins was literally in mid air. The ball sailed but McLaurin was so open it was an easy completion. 

he did that again a few more times.

The second bomb to McLaurin was an interception that 17 saved and made a huge play. The first touchdown pass was Guice and downfield blocking, Sprinkle’s TD was a poor throw. 

The interception down by the goal line was just a very poor decision. 

Im not seeing a lot to be enthused about. But, there were an inordinate amount of dropped balls today as well. Not really thinking that’s an excuse to be honest, but you can’t overlook things to paint a picture you want to paint, either. 

Very impressed by his character second half. It would have been easy for him to capitulate. But he hung in there and flashed why we took him where we did. 

For me, in Haskins, given time and patience down to his raw inexperience, Guice, and McLaurin, we have three high potential skill players who can be the backbone of this O for years to come. 

Hail. 

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Im not seeing a lot to be enthused about. But, there were an inordinate amount of dropped balls today as well. Not really thinking that’s an excuse to be honest, but you can’t overlook things to paint a picture you want to paint, either. 

You have watched a ton of football over the years and have a great history of nice analytic posts on this board. Take your Skins fan hat off for a second. What would you estimate his chance to get a second contract is with the skins based on his play so far? Less than 1%? I know you want more info, but you don’t have it. So having to put a percentage on likely success now, what do you think it would be?

I’m honestly curious. You have a guy like McLaurin arguably in a tougher position given his qb situation and he shines like a Star almost every week. I understand the reluctance to write someone off this early but you have to admit it his chances are likely as hitting the lotto right now.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

You watched a ton of football Over the years and have a great history of nice analytic posts in this bird. Take your Skins fan hat off for a second. What would you estimate his chance to get a second contract is with the skins based on his play so far? Less than 1%? I know you want more info, but you don’t have it. So having to put a percentage on likely success now, what do you think it would be?

I’m honestly curious. You have a guy like McLaurin arguably in a tougher position given his an situation and he shines like a Star almost every week. I understand the reluctance to write someone off this early but you have to admit it his chances as are likely as hitting the lotto right now.

I haven't hidden my dislike of him as a prospect for this franchise. I just don't ever count anyone out after the first handful of games they play. I think that's a giant mistake. Football is a very intricate game and things can click in a hurry. 

Now, after saying that, I'll answer your question:

I can't give a percentage. But I just don't see "it" with Haskins at the moment. Mechanics are totally off the rails, they're regressing in a lot of circumstances, which is okay if you're consistently making plays... But he isn't.

So, because I won't give a percentage here's what I'll say: I think Haskins current ceiling (again, keep in mind, as a Washington Redskin... a change in scenery could allow him to use the tools he has to fit in an offense tailored to what he can do) for the Skins is a decent QB in the mold of a Jason Campbell. Yes, people rag on Campbell, but Campbell wasn't all that bad. He just wasn't a franchise savior. I still think aside from Griffin's one year and Cousins, Campbell was one of the better QBs that we've had here. (Which, to be clear, isn't the best situation).

I think his floor is... well, where he is at the moment. 

This can change at any time. Haskins has some tools. But I'd like to see an improvement in his mechanics. And even though he has a rocket for an arm in short to intermediate stuff, his long ball looks like he's heaving a shotput. The ball just doesn't pop. 

But there's a lot of season left and incremental improvements would give me some additional hope for him.

Archived