Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Perhaps the most disappointing part, though, was that in a June 10 presser with reporters, Haskins promised these types of things wouldn't happen anymore.

"I won't necessarily say it's about football, it's with everything in life: I just wanted to be a man about my business and that's on and off the field," he said when discussing some adjustments he made in order to ensure he could produce as much as possible. "Now that I've turned 23, still being young, still growing, I just wanted to — whatever there were, questions about immaturity or lack of whatever it was — I was going to change that."

Sadly, those words have felt emptier and emptier as 2020 has progressed.

You don't see McClaurin or Chase out celebrating with Dwayne. This guy just doesn't get it. Maybe he eventually will -- and at least he doesn't throw his teammates under the bus like RG3 still amazingly does -- but I just don't see how it can be in Washington. That said, if he's eligible to play this week -- huge question mark -- and Alex is unable to go, I think Ron probably has to start him. If DH gives you the clear  best chance to win you are penalizing all the other players by not playing him. When the season is done, you move on. 

I don't think Ron has a tough decision to make - just for COVID alone I'd think Dwayne has to go into protocol because the nightmare scenario is he's positive and spreads it to the team. Then the season really is over.

Also remember, Ron once benched Cam Newton for the first drive of a game because he didn't wear a tie to the team bus. So what do you think his gut is telling him to do here?

Dwayne has to be held accountable and if that results in the team losing a playoff berth, that just emphasizes to the rest of the roster WHY YOU DON'T FLOUT THE RULES.

And look, I don't think Dwayne is an evil person or lacks value as a human being. But it's just so clear he's so wrong for this team and not getting it at all. You can empathize with a human while wanting them gone from your organization.

Also, I'm not black but I am a dark-skinned minority, and it is insulting to act like the vast majority of Dwayne's criticism is not deserved. Even bringing up the small number of crazies who are racially-motivated is a statistically insignificant at best and insulting at worst. Just stop it. Clowns like Mike Jones in the nat'l media and others were slandering Ron Rivera, one of the few Hispanic head coaches in the NFL by the way, earlier this season for the benching. And even bringing up race now when it's clear it has NOTHING to do with why Dwayne's in this position is way out of line. Why even bring it up? What's the intention? It's bull****.

Dwayne has taken his last snap as a member of the Washington Football Team. I had such high hopes for this kid, especially at the beginning of this year which you can check in my post history.

The other thing you'll see me repeating in my post history in the week before Seattle was that his problems are far and away primarily between the ears. Turns out that was far more accurate than even I thought at the time.

Farewell, Simba. The Lion King is anti-democratic (supporting idea of hereditary monarchy), racist (anti-Hyena) and misogynist (female lions couldn't do **** against Scar & had to wait for Simba to return to mount any sort of real opposition) anyway. I was always more of an Emperor's New Groove guy.     

Just now, moondog said:

Imagine if a guy with Haskins tools had the mind of a chase young. 

I kept waiting for the kid to get it and believing he would. Thought he’d learn from the selfies and all his stuff this off-season had me optimistic. Then he sucked and bragged about throwing for 300 yards in another loss. Then I thought the light would click watching Alex smith not just play but win and the team rallying around him. But nope. 

like people said, young people do **** like this. But when you’ve had the lows that he’s had and you’re trying to win back credibility, you don’t do this. And that isn’t even accounting for covid restrictions and that you could put the entire team at risk. 

If Haskins had chase young’s drive he’d be ****ing the entire NFL instead of his career. 

Haskins tweeted an apology, saying he spoke with coach Ron Rivera on Monday and "took full responsibility for putting the team at risk. It was irresponsible and immature and I accept responsibility for my action." He also issued an apology to his teammates for "creating a distraction during our playoff push."

Haskins later set his Twitter account to private.

The team said it has made the league aware of the picture that was on Instagram, which was taken hours after Haskins had started in Washington's 20-15 loss to Seattle. Handling the issue internally likely means Haskins will be fined, as he was earlier this season when he violated COVID-19 protocols by making reservations for a family friend to stay at the team hotel the night before a road game against the New York Giants.

The breach was caught before the person arrived, but Haskins was still fined $4,833.

It's uncertain what this means for Haskins when Washington hosts the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. One source said the team is optimistic that quarterback Alex Smith will return after missing one game with a strained right calf muscle. Smith suffered the injury during a Dec. 13 win over San Francisco, causing him to miss the loss to Seattle.

Rivera wants to prevent the Haskins storyline from overshadowing what's at stake for the team: a chance to clinch the NFC East. Washington (6-8) can win the division if his team beats the Panthers and the Giants lose to the Baltimore Ravens.

On Monday, before the picture came to light, Rivera said about maintaining protocols: "That'll be the thing that we will most certainly talk about as we get up into this. Where we are right now this late into the season, everything has gone so well. Let's continue to focus in on staying clear of everything and staying healthy. Hopefully, we can maintain that and continue. We most certainly will talk about it."

Washington has not lost any players from its active roster to the reserve/COVID-19 list this season.

The latest situation with Haskins will cause the team to take a hard look in the offseason regarding his future with the organization. Washington selected him with the 15th pick in the 2019 draft, a move spearheaded by owner Dan Snyder and not the scouts or coaching staff. Rivera's staff inherited Haskins, and multiple sources said they felt they could make it work by challenging him.

With no preseason games, Rivera decided to give all the first-team reps to Haskins during training camp to fully prepare him for the season. Rivera named Haskins the starter in late August. Rivera said at the time that had it been a normal offseason, he would have had Haskins compete with Kyle Allen for the job. At the time, they weren't sure what Smith would be able to do after missing the previous season because of a broken leg, and they had strongly considered placing him on injured reserve.

Haskins was benched after four games as multiple sources said they wanted to see better preparation from him during the week, among other things, and to take a more mature approach. He was demoted to third string for four weeks but became the No. 2 quarterback after Allen suffered a leg injury on Nov. 9

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30582068/washington-football-team-aware-dwayne-haskins-maskless-strip-club-image-qb-apologizes

I think it’s a bad look by DH Which is compounded by his other immature actions to date. If people want him gone I can understand the frustration. However, There have been a myriad of players caught not wearing masks in public spaces indoors and at events. The fact it was a strip club doesn’t make it anymore nefarious imo.

David Carr, Darren Waller, Zay Jones, Hunter Renfrow and more. Coaches have been fined for not wearing masks. The Saints lost a draft pick And were fined for no mask post game celebrations. Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley partying indoors no mask. John Harbaugh too. Were people calling for them to be cut or fired? Another blunder on his illustrious career to date no doubt, but keep it in perspective, he’s 23. As a personal matter regarding Rivera’s health and exposure, it’s selfish and irresponsible. He’ll have to face Ron and own it.

It’s disappointing, assuming it’s all true. But I think we are all resigned to the fact he’s probably not the answer at this point in DC..

The pitchforks bother me a little bit, but it’s the world we live in I guess.

Dwayne needs to be away from this team going forward, period, until his eventual release, or whatever his fate is.  It goes far beyond COVID-19 (although a definite consideration as well). The players, I'm certain, have zero respect for him and he is simply a distraction and hinderance to our developing philosophy and team ideology going forward.  Frankly, he never needs to be around them ever again imho.  What a sad devine comedy Dwayne hath become.  I wish you luck & all the best going forward young man.  You may well need it.   

28 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Well said Skins4eva and worthy of a serious response. 

One can make a decision today that can help win something immediately that nevertheless causes the loss of something even more substantial in the long term.

For me this is not simply a question of what helps us win this week’s game. It’s also a question of what decision is in the best long term interest of the team.

Is it better to maintain discipline at the cost of the moment in the hope that that discipline eventually leads to success in the future when they play for even grander stakes?

It’s an open question that neither of us can answer with certainty but it’s one that I would willingly risk the present for.

I agree with you--especially when you consider that we are not winning the super bowl this year.  But for the incompetence of this division, we wouldn't be a playoff contender.  And I care less about the playing and likely losing a single playoff game than setting the right tone.  But, there's a larger more difficult existential question that weighs this franchise down: can any of what Rivera is trying to do really be done with an owner like Snyder?  And does the fact that Rivera took the job knowing what we know of Snyder's character, undermine his own credibility in driving accountability and professionalism into the franchise?   

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

It’s disappointing, assuming it’s all true. But I think we are all resigned to the fact he’s probably not the answer at this point in DC..

I guess what makes people -- including myself -- so angry/frustrated about this is that he had already violated Covid protocol before and been told repeatedly he needed to grow up. Not to the mention the team is in the playoff hunt, etc... It just shows a stunning... well, cluelessness. Even if you make all the excuses I think we should for a young pro athlete. 

4 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

You’re right.  A winner wouldn’t have to pay.

👙

That’s what I thought too but then Haynesworth didn’t pay for things in DC. 

3 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

Cut this immature, entitled little boy. **** him and **** those defending him. Follow him to his next team in the CFL. 

Not Montreal or SAS.  They got better QBs than him. 

It takes an extreme personality to be a successful NFL QB. Tom Brady is up there in Michael Jordan/Muhammad Ali territory and yet still prepares like a sixth-rounder afraid of getting cut after a bad practice. Kirk Cousins schedules his entire life in 15-minute increments. Alex Smith, well, need I say more?

Haskins comes off like a nice, normal young guy who just wants to have fun with a little money in his pocket. He doesn't seem to have that tunnel-vision focus on quarterbacking excellence. I almost think you have to be unbalanced to be great at that position in the modern NFL.

11 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

This right here, thank you for being the voice of reason. 

I feel like a jerk defending the guy earlier this year.

Hopefully guys like Payne and Allen cornered him somewhere at the Park to just light his ass up. Also, hopefully he won't be needed to take another snap this year. Not sure what to think about moving forward. Part of me wants to keep him and work him into the ground to see what happens. Make him wear some old RG3 socks that say "No Pressure, No Diamonds".

2 minutes ago, profusion said:

It takes an extreme personality to be a successful NFL QB. Tom Brady is up there in Michael Jordan/Muhammad Ali territory and yet still prepares like a sixth-rounder afraid of getting cut after a bad practice. Kirk Cousins schedules his entire life in 15-minute increments. Alex Smith, well, need I say more?

Haskins comes off like a nice, normal young guy who just wants to have fun with a little money in his pocket. He doesn't seem to have that tunnel focus on quarterbacking excellence.

I'm a screenwriter and have worked in and around Hollywood my whole career. I've seen plenty of show biz aspirants over the years and it is very plainly apparent who's in the grind because they love the work and who just wants the glamourous lifestyle.

Dwayne to me reeks of someone who is not passionate about being an NFL QB, but rather someone who loves the lifestyle of being an NFL QB.

Archived