Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Then You’re taking it too seriously.

Pfft... I think you need to read the forum more often. There is plenty of criticism on the forums... 

Uh... yeah.

This will be my only response to you on this one but I'm pretty sure I said that everyone else was taking this too seriously and that they need to lighten up since this is ONLY A GAME and nothing more.

1 hour ago, Ashburn Dave said:

One of these days soon I'm going to have to delete my account here and say goodbye to everyone before I say something I'll regret later. 

Football and sports in general used to be fun to watch but not anymore.

I always loved how our fan base bonded together against the forces of evil like the Cowpukes, Giants, Eagles, and Snyder.  But now days we walk on egg shells around each other and we're afraid to say anything bad against one of our players even if they are just playing poorly.

Some of you guys need to lighten up and remember this is just a game that this team plays and nothing more.

I'll say this--it's a matter of perspective.  I feel the same way for opposite reasons. 

Without breaking any rules, I felt that that franchise, knowingly/unknowingly took a step into the future with the name change.  One less out of touch attribute I'll have to explain to my kids.  

I want NEED to KNOW this organization treats minorities, women, weak, immature, disaffected, etc., equitably.  I'm getting to the point to where I can no longer identify with this franchise, the things it does, the things it says.  It's just beginning to feel like it no longer aligns with my value system.  I don't see them molding young people, I see them breaking them, then discarding them.  

Seeing/hearing these kind of narratives is disheartening.  I've listened to a lot of you guys for YEARS, and thoroughly respect your opinions on football, and life.  No doubt a lot of it is ingrained, and subconscious.  I just feel like people are really missing the boat in terms of progress in these kind of conversations, and not examining where all of the vitriol is coming from.  

It's not lost on me that we just cut a HOF-er, that was a first stringer, on final cut day.  After said vet mentioned what social justice meant to him, and what he planned to do the upcoming season (June 7th).  How many WFT players have you seen speak up, or demonstrate anything?  Do you think that's a strange coincidence.  Do you think these guys lack stories to tell about what they overcame to 'make it'?  Why aren't we hearing ANY of that?

How could I explain to my children the kind of hateful things we've heard about DH since Ron decided he didn't like him?  How can I realistically make them understand where it all is coming from, when it's illogical to ME?  That's the disappointing part, and it's truly ugly to watch. 

The truly infuriating part to me, was the comparison to A. Smith.  He's everything a black QB CAN'T be.  We aren't there yet...and it looks like we're a long way off.  

You know an awful a lot talk for the now 3rd string QB.

If it was just concerns about his play, then  he would’ve been demoted to backup. Told you are going sit and watch to see what we want.

That didn’t happen. It was more than just his play; which led to his demotion to 3rd string.

I think Ron already had an opinion of Haskins before taking the job. You don’t think he and Dan didn’t talk about the QB position? He probably told Dan his true opinion of Dwayne and Dan said Ron can choose his QB but he wanted Ron to give Dwayne a shot. Ron agreed to that. Dwayne did enough to get the job but it went downhill from there.

Ron will get his long term QB in 21 and be judged from there.

One thing Ron and Kyle has misjudged was the talent on this team, especially on offense. We are much worse than they thought.

Your just spinning in circles still talking about Dwayne, who’s NFL future lies elsewhere.

What’s done is done.

Let’s hope Kyle and Alex perform well enough, so they can evaluate the rest of the team. I know they are entertaining the fantasy of competing for the division but that isn’t happening.

18 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I can't rally behind him throwing a player under the bus. That's not on the same level as Jay did RG3, but its not cool either. Whatever Haskins immaturies are, Ron's a 50+ year old man who is supposed to be a players coach who players love. But this is something that just reaks of a slimy culture. And now we have leaks. Are those coming from Ron? I don't want to say yes but unlike Bruce and Scot situation (I didn't see how Cooley leaking out that Scot was still drinking or whatever he said helped Bruce), I can see this helping Ron's narrative. 

You were giving him a hard time for his likely phony trying to be nice excuse about trying to win now.  So what version of Ron benching Haskins would you endorse?  You didn't like the soft peddle.   And, you don't like the harsher narrative.   What version of him doing this would float your boat?

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

You were giving him a hard time for his likely phony trying to be nice excuse about trying to win now.  So what version of Ron benching Haskins would you endorse?  You didn't like the soft peddle.   And, you don't like the harsher narrative.   What version of him doing this would float your boat?

Its in the past now. He has already thrown him under the bus. That's what I didn't like. He made the 52 vs 1 statement and the you don't see the guys faces on the sideline comment and I didn't like those statements. I didn't like the win now stuff because of the division stuff. 

We'll see in the coming weeks. Maybe Haskins gets an opportunity and shows improvement. Mabye he doesn't get another opportunity here. I'll judge Ron going forward based on what he does going forward but I don't like the way he handled this one.

19 minutes ago, megared said:

It's not lost on me that we just cut a HOF-er, that was a first stringer, on final cut day.  After said vet mentioned what social justice meant to him, and what he planned to do the upcoming season (June 7th).  How many WFT players have you seen speak up, or demonstrate anything?  Do you think that's a strange coincidence.  Do you think these guys lack stories to tell about what they overcame to 'make it'?  Why aren't we hearing ANY of that?

How could I explain to my children the kind of hateful things we've heard about DH since Ron decided he didn't like him?  How can I realistically make them understand where it all is coming from, when it's illogical to ME?  That's the disappointing part, and it's truly ugly to watch. 

The truly infuriating part to me, was the comparison to A. Smith.  He's everything a black QB CAN'T be.  We aren't there yet...and it looks like we're a long way off.  

I don't agree with the social justice analysis of our the WFT.   I think Peterson getting cut was a football decision.  He is a power running back in an offense that wants to use receiving running backs and he is 35 years old so he is on the decline even if he still has something left in the tank.  I think he is probably slightly better than Gibson, but the difference isn't huge and if you play him you take away the reps from Gibson who is 22 and has a lot of promise.

In terms of posters trashing Haskins, I think you can mostly chalk that up to two things.  One the herd mentality and second people being unhappy with play.   The herd mentality has to do with a preference for order and the people who were unhappy with his play understand there were mitigating factors so they naturally somewhat impose a moral issue into it (which I think you are doing too).   Its probably worth realizing that the claim Haskins has lacked maturity may have some truth in it even if its exaggerated.

I'm all for developing Haskins, understanding this offense is complete dog crap. But you do learn about character during adversity.

He has failed miserably. 

Save all of the other discussions, he is, and has, acted completely childish. I do believe it is a reflection of his generation, they only can see the 'great' they do and are reinforced by all the 'great' achievements they have already accomplished.

I was a big supporter of this pick, but wouldn't be one bit upset cutting loses and trading for a 4th rounder. Is what it is. I wouldn't waste one moment of my time developing a child if I were in charge. This is a professionals league. Best of luck Simab, I'd live with the consequences of losing this talent. 

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't agree with the social justice analysis of our the WFT.   I think Peterson getting cut was a football decision.

Disagree.  And they did it in the way that DIDN'T allow him to easily resume his career.  That's not the respect a HOF-er should be afforded.  Not someone that's carried your offense and given you his all.

Funny thing is, we easily have one of the worst run games in the L, by ANY metric.  You don't think AP could've helped DH, or these delusions of winning the division?  You can't convince me there was one football reason to drop the only professional thing about our offense, out of it.

I personally do not think of this play at night lol...I forgot the play even existed. But it does speak to what hopes people had last year as compared to what has transpired this year.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I actually agree. Ron got dealt a bad hand. '20 is basically finding a way to plug enough holes on the leaky boat to get it to shore safely, and figure out where to go from there.

Then he probably should have skipped the talk about competing in the America's Cup if we gave the boat a new paint job lol...

11 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

He was looking more like big Ben last year, where  he showed the ability to escape pressure as in the clip that @Califan007 posted. 

He has been more of a statue this year.  

Meanwhile,  the guy responsible for his protection scheme last year,  is now fielding the #1 rushing offense in CLE.  There's been too many changes to this team to put everything on one guy.   Especially after what we just watched.   

3 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

He was looking more like big Ben last year, where  he showed the ability to escape pressure as in the clip that @Califan007 posted. 

He has been more of a statue this year.  

I think the talent around him is worse.  We lost two starters from the O-Line last year in Donald Penn and Erick Flowers and Brandon Scherff.  We replaced those guys with Gerron Christian, Wes Martin, and Wes Switzer which is three downgrades.   I understand wanting to develop Christian and Martin, but its a downgrade all the same.   When you are under constant pressure it makes things harder.  Last year at times he got into a rhythm.  That hasn't happened this year. 

To make things worse, Philly, Arizona, Cleveland, and Baltimore all have average to above average pass rushes.

Realistically its going to be tough on Kyle Allen too.   Kyle Allen needs to get it done the next couple weeks against weaker teams with lesser pass rushers.   The protection won't be great because the O-Line is bad, but the matchup should be even enough that he will have some opportunities to get into a rhythm.  To the extent I think Haskins didn't get a fair shake, I felt like he wasn't ever able to get into a rhythm because all his games were against good pass rushes and our O-Line was outmatched.  Last year when he started playing better it was against teams like NYG.  i wanted to see what he if could pick up where he was last year against a weaker matchup, but he won't get that opportunity. 

42 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Its in the past now. He has already thrown him under the bus. That's what I didn't like. He made the 52 vs 1 statement and the you don't see the guys faces on the sideline comment and I didn't like those statements. I didn't like the win now stuff because of the division stuff. 

I am pretty sure you criticized this move before the leaks unless I am forgetting?

Yes there are things some fans dislike about Haskins other than his play.  But race is not one of them.  

Laughing at the Giants for drafting Jones.  How do you think Jones and his family feel about that?  "The league done mest up".   Not listening to advice from Thomas Davis.  Bragging about stats after a loss.  Haskins is a grown man acting like a child.  He is about as mature as Johnny Football.  I hated Baker for the stuff he did in college.  But I respect his apology during the Heisman ceremony.  

The ball is in Haskins court.  If he is as good as you claim and a future top 10 qb, he will be the starter again after the bye.  He has no one to blame but himself.  Only he can pull himself out of this.  Time will tell.  Don't blame Ron. 

If this much is true.  Then for those who say if you study Haskins you'll see the supporting cast and the scheme is the issue -- then good news is it should be obvious to other GMs, and we should get good compensation for Haskins.

CBS Sports reported that trading Haskins would be the "best outcome possible" at this point and that some football executives around the NFL have begun to watch tape on the second-year passer. 

For Rivera, making trades is all about the fit and value for the organization.

"And you never know - somebody may call you about a guy and say, ‘hey, what do you think?’ If it's somebody you like, somebody that fits what you’re trying to do in terms of a rebuild, which is where we're at, then you most certainly have to look at that possibility."

When it comes to Haskins, Washington might have to look at the possibility. 

Asked by reporters on Monday about Haskins' future with the team, Rivera said he wants the young passer to keep working and growing even in a reduced role.

"As we continue to get into this and we get further down the road, who knows what’s going to happen? But, that’s what the expectation is. It’s no different from the expectation of any other player, and that’s to be in the meetings, learning, studying, being at practice, learning and studying, participating."

The trade deadline is in 16 days. 

Rivera might not know what's going to happen yet, but if something does happen with Haskins, it would hardly come as a shock. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I am pretty sure you criticized this move before the leaks unless I am forgetting?

The morning of the leaks I was saying how he should play - that he should play an Alex Smith style of game where he favors checkdowns over the deep ball because while its a less explosive, boring offense, if its one that gets time of possession and minimizes mistakes we can lean on our defense to win games, and in the long run it will help him both grow as a QB in confidence, and show that he belongs in this league and can stand tall. 

Then the news hit and I was asying he should get more time but I think I stayed off here for Wed and Thurs until I processed the press conference. That's when I responded on Thurs (after a guy did a nice Go-Go Skins version of Scenario relating to the QBs here) and questioned how Rivera threw him under the bus. 

But my whole argument has been that he should be getting time to develop into the position and I favor an Orton over a Grossman, I think we can win with a Brad or a Gus or a game manger and I think that as long as Haskins was being a good game manager this year he should have stayed in the position. I could have understood his benching after Cleveland but not after Baltimore without more coming out. I will admit that some of Haskins passes looked bad in Baltimore, but they were completions so I didn't stress it. 

But I don't remember anyhing about the leaks before benching because I don't remember there being any leaks other than last year. 

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

The morning of the leaks I was saying how he should play - that he should play an Alex Smith style of game where he favors checkdowns over the deep ball because while its a less explosive, boring offense, if its one that gets time of possession and minimizes mistakes we can lean on our defense to win games, and in the long run it will help him both grow as a

But I don't remember anyhing about the leaks before benching because I don't remember there being any leaks other than last year. 

I didn't say you talked about the leaks before the benching.  What I said was from what i recall you opposed the benching before the leaks happened.   Unless I am misrecalling.  So what i was asking is there any version of Haskins being benched you'd support?

This situation is done. Haskins is done here. Do any of you actually think the situation is salvageable as long as Ron is the Head Coach? It’s over. It’s a fantasy to think otherwise.  It was a fantasy to begin with but it’s over now. Trade the bust for a 3rd string guard to save some face instead of getting a 2022 7th and move on. 

Archived