Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

There was significantly more talent. Flowers is better than anything we got and Penn is at least twice as good as Christian. Martin should swing over back to RG right now because the other Wes is incompetent. We struck lightning with Ereck and expecting to get lucky again but this time with 3 other guys. Callahan is decent but he’s not a miracle worker 

Flowers and Penn were one season. Go back to like 2017 when our starting OGs were given name tags when they arrived on Thursday before starting Sunday lol...

(sorry, I meant 2018...although 2017 works as well).

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

Worse then Hasksins. 

Maybe they'll trade us straight up. :806:

Burrow has had four games now. More than enough apparently to confidently be able to call him a massive bust.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Flowers and Penn were one season. Go back to like 2017 when our starting OGs were given name tags when they arrived on Thursday before starting Sunday lol...

2018 still had Trent and a pro bowl Scherff not to mention a still decent Moses. Lauvao is miles better than anything we have in the interior right now

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

2018 still had Trent and a pro bowl Scherff not to mention a still decent Moses. Lauvao is miles better than anything we have in the interior right now

Scherff only played 8 games before going on IR. Moses was most definitely NOT "still decent"...he hadn't been decent in about 3 years. Even Trent missed 4 games (suspension, maybe?).

We were starting guys like Austin Howard and Cooper at OG--even played Trent at OG for at least one game.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Scherff only played 8 games before going on IR. Moses was most definitely NOT "still decent"...he hadn't been decent in about 3 years. Even Trent missed 4 games (suspension, maybe?).

We were starting guys like Austin Howard and Cooper at OG--even played Trent at OG for at least one game.

And when the injuries piled up that’s when things went to ****. It’s why we lost QBs in consecutive games and the last few games were atrocious. Callahan didn’t do as much as people want to believe he did IMO. With the talent that we have always had subpar play from the line.

38 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That game in Seattle we stole at the end in 2017 was nuts. I think the OLine was a complete mess going into that 

2 hours ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I mean I’m good for an overreaction here and there but goodness we had two qbs essentially play 1 half of football for the first time all season in heavy rain against a d line that was abusing our o line. At least let’s see Allen for a full game. He was Haskins esque his first half of action with the ability to run.

I was told that the protection was fine.  That the weapons were fine.  That the playcalling was fine.  That Haskins was the one holding everyone back and if we bench him and run Allen then the offense would be fine and we'd start winning some games.

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Occum's razor says that it's much simpler than these rumors suggest. It was probably discussion about the playcalling and the 4th and 13 and maybe the sack. 

Occam's razor says Rivera never had any real interest in developing Dwayne.  This was a dog and pony show.  When you trade for your little pet QB project from your previous team in the offseason and then scapegoat and bench your current prospect after a four game farce, then you never had a real intention of working with him.  It's ****ing obvious.  They look like a bunch of utter schmucks though because the offense was absolute trash Sunday.  It regressed because their new QBs couldn't handle the pressure at all and the OL completely collapsed.  They are completely clueless about how to handle and develop the QB position.

Lots of great analysis in this thread, but I decided to do some research on my own. From the Commonwealth of Virginia Code, § 18.2-417:

Slander and Libel: Any person who shall falsely utter and speak, or falsely write and publish, of and concerning any person of chaste character, any words derogatory of such person's character for virtue and chastity, or imputing to such person acts not virtuous and chaste, or who shall falsely utter and speak, or falsely write and publish, of and concerning another person, any words which from their usual construction and common acceptation are construed as insults and tend to violence and breach of the peace or who shall use grossly insulting language to any person of good character or reputation is guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. The defendant shall be entitled to prove upon trial in mitigation of the punishment, the provocation which induced the libelous or slanderous words, or any other fact or circumstance tending to disprove malice, or lessen the criminality of the offense.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Occam's razor says Rivera never had any real interest in developing Dwayne.  This was a dog and pony show.  When you trade for your little pet QB project from your previous team in the offseason and then scapegoat and bench your current prospect after a four game farce, then you never had a real intention of working with him.  It's ****ing obvious.  They look like a bunch of utter schmucks though because the offense was absolute trash Sunday.  It regressed because their new QBs couldn't handle the pressure at all and the OL completely collapsed.  They are completely clueless about how to handle and develop the QB position.

I think you're just frustrated and lashing out in every direction possible.  

13 minutes ago, FrFan said:

tenor.gif

If you trade Haskins now, it just furthers the scapegoat narrative. After Sunday, the worst offensive game yards wise in nearly 50 years, the entire team needs to be accountable. But at this point, I expect us to continue to do everything the wrong way. Winning teams step up around their young QB. We trade away our young QB to be the scapegoat for this season. Fans and media will blast Haskins as a bust despite him obviously being mishandled here. And we will draft another QB soon only to scapegoat him next for the obvious problems on our team. Rinse and repeat. 

With Rivera's lukewarm comments about Kyle after named the starter he's had "limited success", its not hard to read between the lines between that and all the comments-what came out about Haskins that the bottom line wasn't about they win with Allen but not with Haskins but...

A.  They think they are wasting their time trying to develop a QB who they think doesn't have it

B.   They don't like Haskins intangibles

C.  They may have a better shot to win with the others but that's not the operative point

To use an analogy, the plot line to me is it looks like they want to breakup with the one they were with, they aren't sure that the next one they want to date is in the room already but what they heck they'd give it a try

22 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

If you trade Haskins now, it just furthers the scapegoat narrative. After Sunday, the worst offensive game yards wise in nearly 50 years, the entire team needs to be accountable. But at this point, I expect us to continue to do everything the wrong way. Winning teams step up around their young QB. We trade away our young QB to be the scapegoat for this season. Fans and media will blast Haskins as a bust despite him obviously being mishandled here. And we will draft another QB soon only to scapegoat him next for the obvious problems on our team. Rinse and repeat. 

Kyle Allen and Steven Montez are still on the roster. What makes them less appealing to develop with a new regime?

The guy isn’t on the roster. Which is nerve wrecking because I’m not sure what options are going to be there, especially if we mess around and win another game or two. There’s a lot of teams that need QBs.

Distancing myself from the “we can’t develop a QB” debate, I’m comfortable with Fields or Lance. But there’s nothing saying they’re going to be on the board either. And Lance’s sample size does scare me. He has a lot of work. Which means Allen would start next year and our first round project QB isn’t playing... and we used the first on a guy sitting the bench. FA aren’t going to want to come to a bad football team.

So we have ourselves a problem if we can’t get Lawrence or Fields. 

The one thing I can agree on with the Haskins crew is that this franchise is damaged. Very damaged. And while not impossible to become fairly competitive next season, it would take a lot of luck to do so.

Against competent opposition, it doesn't matter who we put at QB we are not going to win. The OL is terrible and we don't have enough weapons. I'm not convinced by the OC either, but it's hard to apportion blame when the whole offense is such a mess.

I don't trust anything from Canfora. After seeing Alex perform with this OL and in this system, I'd keep Haskins around, assuming he's not persona non grata. It's not like we'd get anything valuable in trade for him right now, and while that won't change by the end of the year, I'd be more comfortable with 3 QBs than 2 QBs and a low round draft pick because the chances are high that one QB is going to get hurt and miss games behind this line.

Looking ahead, I think you just fix what you can in the draft. If there's no decent QB then draft OL and wait another year. We are that deep in the hole that one year or one top QB pick will not fix this team.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Kyle Allen and Steven Montez are still on the roster. What makes them less appealing to develop with a new regime?

The guy isn’t on the roster. Which is nerve wrecking because I’m not sure what options are going to be there, especially if we mess around and win another game or two. There’s a lot of teams that need QBs.

Distancing myself from the “we can’t develop a QB” debate, I’m comfortable with Fields or Lance. But there’s nothing saying they’re going to be on the board either. And Lance’s sample size does scare me. He has a lot of work. Which means Allen would start next year and our first round project QB isn’t playing... and we used the first on a guy sitting the bench. FA aren’t going to want to come to a bad football team.

So we have ourselves a problem if we can’t get Lawrence or Fields. 

The one thing I can agree on with the Haskins crew is that this franchise is damaged. Very damaged. And while not impossible to become fairly competitive next season, it would take a lot of luck to do so.

I don't see Kyle Allen or Steven Montez overcoming the obstacles to be a successful QB in Washington. The franchise that won Super Bowls with great TEAMS now can't figure out that it's not all about the QB. If we draft another QB, I might stop watching. I've seen enough over the past 2 decades to know that we would ruin Lawrence, Fields, or any other prospect. We are literally still mishandling our current prospect.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No I know exactly who I'm blaming for this debacle.

Im more than a little disappointed that we came into the season with an offense this bad and no plan for evaluation. 

It’s like they didn’t have a plan at all for if this didn’t succeed and they really thought that it could. 

Or they are flat out tanking. I guess I can hope that’s the plan now. 

12 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I don't see Kyle Allen or Steven Montez overcoming the obstacles to be a successful QB in Washington. The franchise that won Super Bowls with great TEAMS now can't figure out that it's not all about the QB. If we draft another QB, I might stop watching. I've seen enough over the past 2 decades to know that we would ruin Lawrence, Fields, or any other prospect. We are literally still mishandling our current prospect.

I don’t think they are, either. But neither did/was Haskins? What’s the difference?

Our current prospect was not wanted by THIS regime. How are you guys not grasping this? I literally can’t wrap my head around how it’s so hard for people to understand. He isn’t worth the headache for a regime that didn’t draft him to begin with.

6 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Looking ahead, I think you just fix what you can in the draft. If there's no decent QB then draft OL and wait another year. We are that deep in the hole that one year or one top QB pick will not fix this team.

If Rivera doesn't get a quarterback solution this off-season, he's done here.  These guys take years to develop.  Baker Mayfield, for example, was one of the most experienced QB prospects to come out in a while, and it's year three for him before he finally looks comfortable enough in the job to get some wins.

If Rivera doesn't find a solution at QB that he will be married to this off-season, you're looking at year four and still losing?  He'll be long gone by that point, and deservedly so.

Rivera made himself so many problems by abandoning an honest attempt to develop Haskins.  It could have bought him time for a longer rebuild.  Now either Kyle Allen has to be the solution or he drafts a solution this off-season.  Those are his only real paths forward at QB.  Hitting a homerun with a vet QB trade or signing is the most unlikely option of all.

13 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

It's not the 1980s. If you want a team that's consistently a contender now, you need a good franchise QB. If you don't have one then you might get lucky and sneak into the playoffs every so often but you're probably not going to go all the way and you're not going to be a year in and year out contender. The WFT knows this, they just really suck at fixing it. 

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im more than a little disappointed that we came into the season with an offense this bad and no plan for evaluation. 

It’s like they didn’t have a plan at all for if this didn’t succeed and they really thought that it could. 

Or they are flat out tanking. I guess I can hope that’s the plan now. 

I think the coaching staff has been a disaster that has somehow made the team worse than they were last year, and I think the FOs weakness has essentially doomed us.  This coaching staff has demonstrated an inability to handle the QB position in just five freaking games.  They desperately needed a strong FO to create a plan for them to follow, and then marry them to that plan.

TBH, I think a good GM hire ASAP is the only way this regime ends up working out, and the hire needs to come from outside of the organization.  It absolutely should have been the first hire we made, but the WFT always does things their own dumb way and it never works.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think they are, either. But neither did/was Haskins? What’s the difference?

Our current prospect was not wanted by THIS regime. How are you guys not grasping this? I literally can’t wrap my head around how it’s so hard for people to understand. He isn’t worth the headache for a regime that didn’t draft him to begin with.

It is not some secret mystery that you solved about the current regime not liking Haskins. I have said for the past week this regime chose to scapegoat Haskins instead of telling the rest of the team to step up around him. Rivera is brought all his Carolina guys over I guess to prove a point, including his QB. They are reminding us, his players and coaches, why he was fired so far. I think it was a bad hire. Its a pretty simple concept when you have a young first round QB on the roster to hire a coach who wants to work with him. Rivera brought in Allen immediately and he was his guy all along.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rivera made himself so many problems by abandoning an honest attempt to develop Haskins.  It could have bought him time for a longer rebuild.  Now either Kyle Allen has to be the solution or he drafts a solution this off-season.  Those are his only real paths forward at QB.  Hitting a homerun with a vet QB trade or signing is the most unlikely option of all.

If Rivera and his coaches truly believe, for whatever reasons, that Haskins doesn't have what it takes and isn't the right guy for them, then wouldn't they actually be wasting time by trying to develop him anyway?

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's not the 1980s. If you want a team that's consistently a contender now, you need a good franchise QB. If you don't have one then you might get lucky and sneak into the playoffs every so often but you're probably not going to go all the way and you're not going to be a year in and year out contender. The WFT knows this, they just really suck at fixing it. 

I can name a lot of franchise QBs who never won anything because the team around them.

Archived