Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

After 2 or 3 more games like the one yesterday.  Once Rivera benches him, it's over for Haskins with this team, IMO.

Not necessarily unless he is deemed a distraction or a cancer. If you draft a rookie in the first round, then yes he is gone. However, if you go trade for a vet like Stafford, it is entirely possible you could keep him on the bench if he behaves well.

1 minute ago, method man said:

Not necessarily unless he is deemed a distraction or a cancer. If you draft a rookie in the first round, then yes he is gone. However, if you go trade for a vet like Stafford, it is entirely possible you could keep him on the bench if he behaves well.

He was the owner’s pick. If you bench him you send that dude packing as fast as you can. 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting - his decision not to use timeouts at the end of games when there is still a chance to win contradicts what he's saying today about wanting to "win now" for the guys playing hard.

Haskins played poorly yesterday.  No doubt about it.  The only thing he really had going for him until this point was his lack of INTs.  And he ruined that.  So I can see why Rivera would be frustrated by this perceived regression.  But outside of the turnovers, I actually think Haskins showed more flashes yesterday than he showed in the previous two games combined.  I think benching him this season would be a mistake, and I truly believe Rivera knows that and is just giving lip service to the fans and reporters... because, as I alluded to earlier, his actions don't match his words here.

As a few have said, I don't think the not using the timeouts is about keeping players healthy. It's probably about protecting the team from finishing worse with a turnover, which is the likely outcome given what Dwayne does if he has to throw the ball over ten yards. Think about it. Did he ever keep his timeouts in his pocket with an experienced Cam down a few scores?

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

He was the owner’s pick. If you bench him you send that dude packing as fast as you can. 

You have a good point

4 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Folks Ron's quotation is the exact opposite of coach speak.

Pure plain text with no dodging or equivocation. What a breath of fresh air.

Rivera essentially fired a cannon shot across the bow of the S.S. Haskins putting him on notice that in fairness to the team: "His patience has limits."

Dwayne either improves or he hits the pine-- likely for good.

I am hopeful that this drives Dwayne to play better. He has responded well to adversity over his career. The question is how much better will he play

54 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

With Cam we win this division easy. With a healthy Alex Smith we win this division easy. With Teddy Bridgewater we win this division. Once you get in the playoffs you never know. 

Haskins is the weak link. We are sacrificing playoffs on a bust who will never be anything more than what he is now. He might flash for a game or 2 but in the end he is a bust. That’s been obvious from the beginning. He has no redeemable qualities. The dude is trash and his attitude is worse. At least he hasn’t spouted off that he’s a future hall of famer like last year but then again he hasn’t been asked. 

Jesus. We’re not a good team. With or without Dwayne. Stop acting like DH is the difference between a 16-0 season with the Super Bowl and the basement.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

When you let outside noise into your head," Haskins said, "you start thinking or believing whatever the hell you read or see. It's really letting all of that go. It's Week 3 and we start over Monday. ... You can't worry about what someone is thinking about you. ... Find the positive and ignore the noise and whoever has something to say that's not in this building."

It has been a bumpy road in Washington for Haskins, who graduated from high school in the area. There was controversy over his pick, with numerous sources saying owner Dan Snyder was the one who wanted him most, overriding the desire of his football staff. Haskins made seven starts in 2019, with his best games coming in his final two starts.

He had a strong offseason by all accounts, but he's also learning a new offense and, entering Sunday, he was one of seven starters on Washington's offense that has a combined 50 starts.

"That's just life and that's adversity," he said. "You have to learn to deal with it and get better from it. I feel I l earned from adversity this week. I felt a lot more confident in-game and before the game and just trying to figure out ways to carry the good stuff from this game and learn from the stuff that was bad."

Late in the game, Haskins' former Ohio State teammate Chase Young talked to him on the bench. At times last year, the organization felt Haskins sulked too much. He wasn't sulking Sunday, but Young, who had to leave the game with a groin injury, wanted to provide his support. He told Haskins he believed in him and would root for him even if the team trailed by 40.

Haskins said others echoed Young's sentiments.

"Teammates did a great job trying to keep my head up," Haskins said. "We all make mistakes and I'll take the blame for what I did and get better for it."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29988689/washington-football-team-ron-rivera-sticking-dwayne-haskins-3-picks

After the Arizona loss he was on instagram replying to haters.  Not a good look in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, method man said:

As a few have said, I don't think the not using the timeouts is about keeping players healthy. It's probably about protecting the team from finishing worse with a turnover, which is the likely outcome given what Dwayne does if he has to throw the ball over ten yards. Think about it.

That excuse might have worked if he didn't do the same exact thing in the game against Arizona, where Haskins didn't have any interceptions and had only 1 fumble, which wasn't even his fault.

It's clear the real reason is because Rivera wants a high draft pick if it turns out Haskins is not the answer, which is a mindset I agree with.  His actions show he is more than okay with not having a "win now" mindset this season.  I can't even remember the number of times Rivera had called this an evaluation season during the offseason.  People seem to have forgotten about that after the win against Philly.

10 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Jesus. We’re not a good team. With or without Dwayne. Stop acting like DH is the difference between a 16-0 season with the Super Bowl and the basement.

Mediocre QB play gets the job done yesterday.  However, I do agree none of the QB's available in the offseason were taking this team to a Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Possibly, but like i said Haskins wasn't responsible for Chubb's 100+ yards rushing. and Apke missing twice on the same play. He put the defense in bad position but they could have made a play and stopped Cleveland. This is freaking Cleveland, not the Brady/Moss Patriots. And its not like Baker was doing someting special, they just got ran on, except when they needed a catch by OBJ. Where was a turnover this week? Where was the hit on Baker to end a drive? We couldn't help our offense this week. 

Haskins is not an all pro QB right now but we are a bad team, all around. Every year we talk about how great this defense will be but this isn't the defense that took Allen the the playoffs last year, its a defense that has a lot of names but needs to prove itself. 

I don't disagree, but it's a team game.  Unless your defense is the '85 Bears (and even then, they were still pretty decent on offense) or the 2000 Ravens, they're not going to dominate every game.  

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Fair enough.  For me I see it as his head is centered at the snap, it turns to that hook on the first step of the drop, then turns further to the flat on the second, and then stays there until he's almost throwing it.

I think he was throwing blind and that's why he didn't see Sims's defender in the hook zone.  I think it was a bad decision that was a result of him not being patient and trying to force a dodgy throw to get the first down.

Is Ron lying too? Lol

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That excuse might have worked if he didn't do the same exact thing in the game against Arizona, where Haskins didn't have any interceptions and had only 1 fumble, which wasn't even his fault.

It's clear the real reason is because Rivera wants a high draft pick if it turns out Haskins is not the answer, which is a mindset I agree with.  His actions show he is more than okay with not having a "win now" mindset this season.  I can't even remember the number of times Rivera had called this an evaluation season during the offseason.  People seem to have forgotten about that after the win against Philly.

The run/pass ratio yesterday was 30% run 70% pass.

Thats an “evaluation” gameplan if I’ve ever seen one.

19 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

A “good team” is relative to the competition. With DH we are in first place after 3 games. If we had even a serviceable QB we easily are in the driver’s seat to win the division.

7 hours ago, Panninho said:

It's amazing that some people claimed Haskins was staring down Inman on that TD throw when he obviously started on the other side of the field with his reads. That was a great rep.

Haskins doesn’t hold the ball long enough to stare down a WR. For better or worse, the mistakes were made quickly, I think people conflate misreading a zone with staring down a WR. Stafford & JimmyG had the nfls ultimate stare down contest a season or two ago, they’d look at a guy for 3-4 seconds, move and continue staring for another couple before letting something hideous fly into coverage.

At first glance, Haskins seems ahead of most guys in progressing through his reads. 

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is the way I see it.  Haskins does not look like an NFL QB in just about every way imaginable. It's still amazing to me that a QB can get to this level by throwing off the back foot and flicking the ball out with all arm.  He did it constantly yesterday, a clear sign that instead of progressing he is regressing, and it's a big reason for his inaccuracy.  Then we have his reaction, he does seem to have a bit of RGIII in him in his defensiveness and inability to acknowledge his obvious short comings.  

Personally I've seen enough. I can't blame fans for being hopeful, it's all we've got. But the term "sunk cost" posted days ago here seems to apply. 

He had more throws with his elbow up than he usually does, and he’s always had the mechanical flaws, it’s why he was always going to have these sort of struggles on a roster like ours. 

The lone regression I see is his presence in the pocket, he’s becoming a bit less comfortable hanging in there.

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Honest question: What has Dwayne Haskins done to show that he will ever be a good starting NFL QB?  This isn't the days when Peyton was a rookie, and even then we didn't see Manning with this many mechanical issues with his delivery. We didn't see Peyton missing throws at this alarming rate, we didn't see this sort of horrible pocket presence with any young QB not named RGIII that I can recall.

Kyler has been atrocious passing the ball, almost all of the young guys have been. Patience with an inaccurate Josh Allen seems to be paying off.

37 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting - his decision not to use timeouts at the end of games when there is still a chance to win contradicts what he's saying today about wanting to "win now" for the guys playing hard.

Haskins played poorly yesterday.  No doubt about it.  The only thing he really had going for him until this point was his lack of INTs.  And he ruined that.  So I can see why Rivera would be frustrated by this perceived regression.  But outside of the turnovers, I actually think Haskins showed more flashes yesterday than he showed in the previous two games combined.  I think benching him this season would be a mistake, and I truly believe Rivera knows that and is just giving lip service to the fans and reporters... because, as I alluded to earlier, his actions don't match his words here.

Rivera just giving lip service to the fans on Haskins would be way out of character and would contradict what he said yesterday about the timeouts which is he knows what fans/media think but he's not interested in giving them lip service.

His thing about the timeouts wasn't about he's not into winning now but about avoiding injuries.  Finlay said on air that he doesn't think Rivera believes that Haskins can bring them back and that's part of the soup.  but I presume that's just Finlay speculating versus him actually being told that off the record. 

Rivera if anything is brutally honest.  Listening to the whole press conference I didn't get the imnpression that Rivera felt that Haskins flashed that much yesterday.   His tone was very different from yesterday after he and the coaches watched the tape this morning.  

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Kyler has been atrocious passing the ball, almost all of the young guys have been. Patience with an inaccurate Josh Allen seems to be paying off.

I hate those comparisons because those guys have the added dimension of being able to scramble and make plays to fall back on while they learn everything else. That alone makes them more valuable in the present and easier to stick with long term 

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If the baseball prospect had a giant hole in his swing and has shown other flaws basic to the skill of hitting a baseball yes I would be quick to turn the page.

You’d have given up on almost every great player in mlb.

25 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

What we see is different than your guys opinion. What they showed on the field yesterday is they are perfectly capable in all phases of the game to compete. If it wasn't for Haskins throwing the game away with turnovers, that's a very winnable game. What a shame to the players to throw this season away because you guys and Ron don't believe in them.

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I hate those comparisons because those guys have the added dimension of being able to scramble and make plays to fall back on while they learn everything else. That alone makes them more valuable in the present and easier to stick with long term 

Allen has improved as a thrower, but I absolutely agree that the ability to run lengthens the leash.

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Yep ditto with Josh Allen who while being wild has freakish Elway like traits as for mobility and arm strength. 

Archived