Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

30 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I speculate that Rivera says that to the media to gauge DHs response. 

It's possible that he's trying to light a fire under him.  I listened to the whole thing.  He also said in the mix that Haskins is in effect a rookie but he won't judge him as a rookie forever.   He's looking for progress, etc. 

It should be interesting to see how Haskins reacts.  In the past, Rivera has been very warm and fuzzy -- good cop with Haskins.  Today was certainly some bad cop in the mix.  

30 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

But that's not the full quote. He gives an explanation that agrees with what Haskins said as well, saying that Haskins got to his read too fast and then stayed there and waited. Its not as cut and dry as it seems in that quote. 

I heard the whole press conference.  A reporter tried to egg Rivera on after Rivera said he starred by saying Haskins is saying he wasn't starring so what does he think of that.  So Rivera adeptly avoided looking like he disagreed with Haskins on it so he goes Haskins might see it that way because he might think he looked it off but the look off was too quick, so he did stare.   

I actually by the way did comment on it exactly that way if you read my post.  I didn't say why Rivera said it but did say Rivera said it was too quick.

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:
We can't post responses to links with videos but Haskins is WAY WRONG here.  He's telling a savvy vet LB who knows the game that he's wrong!  Haskins either learns the next game or two and if he doesn't he is sat for Allen who has run the O before and may be better prepared since he's had more time with Turner.  This is what ego does to a QB telling a team member he's wrong and a good minded teacher in Davis.  Wow!  Sad!

46 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, I’m not buying the injury excuse - at all. 

OK, but do you really think he's just making it up about Haskins to placate fans?  If so i'd have much less respect for Rivera.  Throwing Haskins under the bus to pander to fans.  It would seem absuredly out of character for Rivera and actually quite bizzare IMO. 

20 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

My opinion of Ron comes from his own comments and actions. All these excuses about the process, having an evaluation season, not taking timeouts to attempt to win games, etc. I just expected different from Ron. You seem to be fine with losing and have the expectation of losing so maybe that's why you're fine with Ron's actions and words. I think we are a better team than that, a team that deserves to have timeouts taken to try to win games.

You have the Dan mindset from the mid-2000s when he signed as many big named free agent on the market in the hopes of paying immediate dividends. This is literally the first year of a new process and one that isn’t going to net us a Super Bowl it’s first year. If you can’t see that the best thing for this franchise is to accept this year as one where we can do a proper evaluation of everyone on the roster with a decent coach/gm in place then you’re going to be mighty frustrated.

But your claim that we looked like contenders in every facet of the game yesterday except QB is blind.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I heard the whole press conference.  A reporter tried to egg Rivera on after Rivera said he starred by saying Haskins is saying he wasn't starring so what does he think of that.  So Rivera adeptly avoided looking like he disagreed with Haskins on it so he goes Haskins might see it that way because he might think he looked it off but the look off was too quick, so he did stare.   

I actually by the way did comment on it exactly that way if you read my post.  I didn't say why Rivera said it but didn't say Rivera said it was too quick.

yeah, but Rivera gave a more detailed and thorough explanation than your quote gives him credit for. Its not just a blame game or a game of denial. Rivera said it was about him going through his reads too quickly, very similar to what he said last week about Haskins getting to slow starts. And Haskins said that sometimes he tries to force things (last week). These interceptions agree with that. 

The reporter tried to bait him into going against what Haskins said yesterday and he walked the middle of it, saying he can see why Haskins would feel that way and I guess it depends on how you define staring down a receiver. He said Haskins went through his reads which is what he's supposed to do, just too fast. 

27 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I asked this before and no one responded hopefully someone does this time.

Does anyone have a link to the text of Coach Rivera’s press conference today that @Skinsinparadise partially quoted?

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-doc-galdi-show-the-team-980-btSsvR236ik/

That's a link to the show that has the audio of it. 

I’m the only person in the world who wouldn’t have drafted DH at all, I don’t know if anyone else pointed out his issues vs zones ... but I pointed out exactly what he’d struggle with there, and I cited his mechanical issues more than anyone and I was relatively alone in pointing out his accuracy issues. I’m not a truther, things be what they be. DH is improving, he had a long way to go when drafted and he’s made progress. The negatives were there when most here loved him... the only changes are positives, he’s processing things more quickly & he has changed his body over the most chaotic offseason imaginable. 

There are positives emerging, though the flaws becoming more obvious to ESers will lead to less rational interaction towards the negatives whereas they used to skew towards the positive. Fortunately there are ESers who are able to see the plays, & the game, rationally and interact with what’s actually there sans emotion. 

Perhaps a football only Haskins thread would be doable. 

9 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

yeah, but Rivera gave a more detailed and thorough explanation than your quote gives him credit for. Its not just a blame game or a game of denial. Rivera said it was about him going through his reads too quickly, very similar to what he said last week about Haskins getting to slow starts. And Haskins said that sometimes he tries to force things (last week). These interceptions agree with that. 

Going through his reads too quickly and staring off a defender too quickly are two separate points.  I listened to the whole thing and paid attention to the tone, too,  My impression and it was echoed by every beat reporter who participated in it was he at the very least was putting Haskins on notice.  If you want to hold on to a more warm and fuzzy vibe from Rivera about Haskins from that press conference, that's cool.  But that's not the vibe i got from that press conference. ditto the people who were there. 

Interesting quote  from Rivera's press conference that adds critical nuance on Haskins that I just transcribed:

Question: What were your takeaways from Dwayne's interceptions?

Answer (abridged): "...a couple of them he stared down, he got to the read too soon... and because he got to there too soon he ended up staring... a little bit of mechanics. He's got to slow his mechanics down got to slow his reads down. Stay on his initial a little bit longer and really go to where you need to go. That's probably the biggest thing that they're gonna tell him. I had a chance to talk to both Kenny (Zampese) and Scott (Turner) about it. They both felt that he was a bit too fast coming off from one to the other... again the thing is at some point he's going through this process. He's growing, he's developing, BUT WE HAVE TO CONTINUE TO SEE POSITIVE GROWTH WE CAN'T SEE A REGRESSION AND THE ONE THING HE HAS TO UNDERSTAND IS THAT AT A CERTAIN POINT YOU NO LONGER ARE A ROOKIE and to me he's still learning and growing but there is a point where you know that you should be more positive with your plays."

23 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We can't post responses to links with videos but Haskins is WAY WRONG here.  He's telling a savvy vet LB who knows the game that he's wrong!  Haskins either learns the next game or two and if he doesn't he is sat for Allen who has run the O before and may be better prepared since he's had more time with Turner.  This is what ego does to a QB telling a team member he's wrong and a good minded teacher in Davis.  Wow!  Sad!

Another sad thing is this exchange with Davis was revealed to him back in TC, and still appears nothing has been done about it

Here's the full quote from that press conference on Haskins Interception. I thought it was a very insightful quote.

Rivera: He stared down. He got to the read too soon and because he got to there too soon, he ends up staring. Starts here and he goes to hwere he threw the ball. Its one of those thigns where hey, I'm here and I hold i hold and then I come here focus and throw the ball. It would have had those guys break a little bit later and would have been a better chance for the completion. A little bit of his mechanice. he's got to slow his mechanice, gotta slow his reads down. stay on his initial a little longer and really go where you need to go.  That's probably the biggest thing they're going to tell him. I have had a chance to talk to Kenny and Scott about it and they both felt he was a little too fast coming off from one to another. he's got to stat his progression a little better. and there were some mechanicla issues that he's got to continue to work on and get better. he's going through hthis progress he's growing he;s developing but we've got to contineu to see positive growth can't see a regression. The one thing he's got to understand is that there's a certain point where you're no longer a rookie. To me he's still learning and growing but there is a point where hey you know what you should be being more positive with your plays. 

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You have the Dan mindset from the mid-2000s when he signed as many big named free agent on the market in the hopes of paying immediate dividends. This is literally the first year of a new process and one that isn’t going to net us a Super Bowl it’s first year. If you can’t see that the best thing for this franchise is to accept this year as one where we can do a proper evaluation of everyone on the roster with a decent coach/gm in place then you’re going to be mighty frustrated.

But your claim that we looked like contenders in every facet of the game yesterday except QB is blind.

I said we looked competitive not like contenders. Like Logan Thomas isn't a great TE but he made plays yesterday, our secondary isn't great but they held their own against a pretty stacked receiving core. Even though our DL was decimated they still held their own til the 4th quarter turnovers. 

We just have different expectations. I don't want us to make moves and pick up high dollar veterans. I just want a no excuse coach that is going to try his hardest to win every game he coaches regardless of who suits up. That does not mean putting Alex Smith in, or putting in veterans instead of young players. This whole, expecting to lose and wanting to lose nonsense is a loser mentality that fits great in DC!

But the good news is Rivera said exactly what I wanted to hear today... so I'm back on the Rivera train! 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Going through his reads too quickly and staring off a defender too quickly are two separate points.  I listened to the whole thing and paid attention to the tone, too,  My impression and it was echoed by every beat reporter who participated in it was he at the very least was putting Haskins on notice.  If you want to hold on to a more warm and fuzzy vibe from Rivera about Haskins from that press conference, that's cool.  But that's not the vibe i got from that press conference. ditto the people who were there. 

I don't know. I just didn't get that from the press conference. I heard him say what he said. Maybe it was warm and fuzzy, maybe it was drill sargenty, but I just heard him as a coach disecting plays. And saying he's got to continue to grow. I felt like you left that part out when you quoted Rivera earlier and so I focused on it because when I heard it it gave insight into why there were two narratives on the interceptions. 

2 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I said we looked competitive not like contenders. Like Logan Thomas isn't a great TE but he made plays yesterday, our secondary isn't great but they held their own against a pretty stacked receiving core. Even though our DL was decimated they still held their own til the 4th quarter turnovers. 

We just have different expectations. I don't want us to make moves and pick up high dollar veterans. I just want a no excuse coach that is going to try his hardest to win every game he coaches regardless of who suits up. That does not mean putting Alex Smith in, or putting in veterans instead of young players. This whole, expecting to lose and wanting to lose nonsense is a loser mentality that fits great in DC!

But the good news is Rivera said exactly what I wanted to hear today... so I'm back on the Rivera train! 

I don’t think there was any expectation or desire to lose. Even more absurdity,

Sorry, you don’t get to jump off and on the bandwagon train this much in three weeks. 

also, Cleveland made our defense look foolish. The only reason the stats weren’t bigger was because of the short fields Haskins kept giving them.

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another sad thing is this exchange with Davis was revealed to him back in TC, and still appears nothing has been done about it

If you are unwilling to accept hard truths and work to improve you will never make it in the NFL as a legitimate QB. 

This is a guy who compared himself to Rodgers and Brady last year. Proclaimed the league messed up not drafting him sooner. Was not involved on the sideline when he was not playing. Never has taken accountability for poor play. It’s simply not going to work. His attitude really sucks. His reaction to Davis was beyond disrespectful. That’s how you lose the team. 

Transcribed another question from his press conference where coach Rivera reveals the  nuance of why Haskins may think that he's not staring down receivers when in fact he actually is.

QUESTION: You just talked about Dwayne staring down some receivers you mentioned that post-game as well as some others what do you make of the fact that Dwayne said hr didn't think that he did stare down some receivers?

ANSWER: Well because again he went through the progression the way he should but you know going from here (points in one direction) to there (points in another direction) but he got there too fast. You know what I'm saying? If I'm supposed to hold, hold, hold, then go over here-- ok great, he probably felt like he held here long enough and then went to where he wanted to throw the ball. That's why to him in his thought process is hey I went to here (points in one direction) like I was supposed to and then I went over here (points in another direction) but he got to here and went there too fast. He's got to learn those things and that's part of the process of growing and understanding, 'how to get through my progressions to get to the ball' "

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Really? I wouldn’t have known since you mention that tidbit in basically every post you make.

Emotion, get a hold of it.

You have the opportunity to become a more knowledgeable human because I’m here. Calm down & be grateful, my friend.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Buddy hasn't even made a full season of starts in his career and we're already parsing both the QB and head coaches words, finding clips with less than flattering dialogue from practice, etc.  This isn't going to end well.  Sheesh.

He’s basically a less talented version of Sua Cravens playing QB...

That Davis clip is basically the same as the Compton/Sua clip but worse.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Buddy hasn't even made a full season of starts in his career and we're already parsing both the QB and head coaches words, finding clips with less than flattering dialogue from practice, etc.  This isn't going to end well.  Sheesh.

Does it ever?

It's incredible how fast people have turned on Ron here.

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Does it ever?

It's incredible how fast people have turned on Ron here.

PALOFFS ARE NOW!

Archived