Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera just giving lip service to the fans on Haskins would be way out of character and would contradict what he said yesterday about the timeouts which is he knows what fans/media think but he's not interested in giving them lip service.

His thing about the timeouts wasn't about he's not into winning now but about avoiding injuries.  Finlay said on air that he doesn't think Rivera believes that Haskins can bring them back and that's part of the soup.  but I presume that's just Finlay speculating versus him actually being told that off the record. 

Rivera if anything is brutally honest.  Listening to the whole press conference I didn't get the imnpression that Rivera felt that Haskins flashed that much yesterday.   His tone was very different from yesterday after he and the coaches watched the tape this morning.  

Yeah, I’m not buying the injury excuse - at all. 

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't disagree, but it's a team game.  Unless your defense is the '85 Bears (and even then, they were still pretty decent on offense) or the 2000 Ravens, they're not going to dominate every game.  

I laugh only because all offseason and after the Philly game we were comparing this team to the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens and hearing how impactful Chase Young was going to be to a DL with 4 other first rounders. 

I'm not trying to point blame, I'm just saying everybody makes mistakes and so we need to grow as a team. Dwayne needs to grow, the defense needs to grow, the skill positions need to grow. The OL needs to grow. They're all making mistakes and we're seeing the results. Apke's missed tackles are one thing. Collins coverign Bryant is another thing, Chubb getting 100+ yards and killing the clock is another thing, Christian getting abused is another. Haskins making bad throws is another. 

This is a young team making mistakes. I want to see them all grow. What we saw is that despite losing the turnover battle 4-0 yesterday we were still up 20-17. That shows we have the potential to be a good team (yes including Haskins). But we gave up that lead, in part because of Haskins, in part because of the defense allowing those 3 late scores, in part because of mistakes by others on offense. Its a team sport and we all have a stake in it. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Mediocre QB play gets the job done yesterday.  However, I do agree none of the QB's available in the offseason were taking this team to a Super Bowl.

It’s not even that. Even with a top QB I don’t think we’re a good team. We’re getting there but the holes are glaring.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Based on Rivera's statements today, sounds like he disagrees with him being automatically given the full season. Not sure i agree with him.  But will see how it plays out.  Hopefully Haskins improves and it becomes a nonissue

I think it'd be disingenuous of Ron to pin the losses on Dwayne and suggest that supporting him could eventually lose the locker room.  I don't think that's what he meant at all.  I think he does support Dwayne and understands the development process.

21 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

What we see is different than your guys opinion. What they showed on the field yesterday is they are perfectly capable in all phases of the game to compete. If it wasn't for Haskins throwing the game away with turnovers, that's a very winnable game. What a shame to the players to throw this season away because you guys and Ron don't believe in them.

It’s almost impressive how more and more absurd your posts seem to get.

47 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

If we had a decent QB, we would be 3-0.  Let's not deny that. 

They don’t beat Arizona. He exposed the defense for what it is. 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It’s almost impressive how more and more absurd your posts seem to get.

You think it's absurd to say we had a chance to win yesterday if we didn't turn the ball over 5 times (4 that lead to scores)? Lol... ok 🙄

Edited by httr2020dynasty

Haskins has to make mistakes in order for him to learn from them. his doing nothing different from 90% of OBs in the league. ... he has the same rating as Kyler Murray, who's thrown for 4 TDs and 5 INTs, Haskins has 4TDs too, but only 3INTs which all came in one game. he doesn't have the starts that Kyler Murray had last season, Haskins needs snaps.

• Like 2

For every Josh Allen who looked pretty bad as a rookie, there are 10 rookies who look pretty bad that remain bad. Maybe he turns out to be a statue like Josh Allen success story, but the odds are he doesn't. The level of improvement he has to make is pretty significant. At best at this point if surrounded by elite talent and protected by a stellar defense he can be a game manager.  But right now, as Ron said, the team needs better. 

7 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

You think it's absurd to say we had a chance to win yesterday if we didn't turn the ball over 5 times (4 that lead to scores)? Lol... ok 🙄

No. How Ron doesn’t believe in the team and all that other crap. Your hyperbolic speculation discredits any rational thought you may have.

2 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

And for the pro-Haskins crowd: please stop with the analogies with players who sucked for a short time and became good.  A lot more players who start out horrible end up horrible. Most quarterbacks drafted in the first round don't make it long-term: (starting in 2017) Trubisky, Wentz, Lynch, Winston, Mariotta, Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater ...  Finding the ones that didn't fail is the exception, not the rule.  Right now, there is precious little to see in Haskins game to make me want to build around him.  But I see a lot to gain in continuing to start him, take the lumps, and start building a team from the bottom up (the bottom being the O-line).

Damn I wish I had written this post because it's spot on.  For every sucky QB who became good there are like 20 sucky QBs who sucked because, well, they sucked. 

Every QB when given the chance will show some promising things, that's why they are in the league to begin with.  It amazes me how I saw a poster here who is actually praising Haskins for some of his throws yesterday after yet another dreadful performance.  Every QB in this league can make a few good throws, we can't just let that over shadow all the issues with Dwayne Haskins.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
40 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Is Ron lying too? Lol

That doesn't contradict me.  I recognize he "stared down" Thomas on that pick and on the final INT.  He never moved off those reads.  But that wasn't the problem with those plays.  The critical mistake on the Thomas INT was he the misread/miscommunication that led to him throwing the ball too far in front of Thomas.  On the final INT the problem was he dropped his eyes to look at the rush and lost the field, lost that linebacker, and then floated a weak pass into that zone out of panic.

Dwayne is capable of looking off reads, and what Rivera is saying is that Dwayne's problem is a lack of patience.  That's what I'm saying too.  It caused him to miss reads and force bad throws yesterday.  What people are freaking out about is that they think Dwayne is being uncoachable and I don't think that is true of him at all.

• Like 2

The Inman throw is something teams think they can bait Haskins into, and something we saw v Philly. It’s very simple.

On the int yesterday, Haskins put the first down above protecting the ball and took a chance he shouldn’t have. It’s youth, he has had success v similar coverage, but Clev condensed the zone on the window DH likes to throw into.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:28 AM, volsmet said:

V a decent LB, one with more than 30 2019 snaps under his belt, this is likely heading the other way, ending the game. DH does precisely what Riley is told he will do, but the arm of DH & a below average lb allow us to escape this decision. Riley doesn’t have the burst to make a play they worked on all week, the scout team QB doesn’t get the ball there with quite as much zip as DH does. 

I know ... DH is perfect, but this is 7 the other way too often to let it rip here on first down. 48CF0021-A385-4C71-B246-118BA2E18C22.thumb.jpeg.41e0172185dcd91de6cb130e51dfd137.jpegF8486DA4-3311-4942-B3A7-3C65AAD9EAF2.thumb.jpeg.c0e5e684d70217478525d379458fac2f.jpeg9259D4E2-2FCF-4648-896F-75D0BE83B3C6.thumb.jpeg.d1ea4a0d1760b60de02dcf524919aed2.jpeg

Godwin & Sewell with DH on a rookie contract - we become a problem quickly. 

Developing Charles is crucial in 2019. 

6 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

For every Josh Allen who looked pretty bad as a rookie, there are 10 rookies who look pretty bad that remain bad. Maybe he turns out to be a statue like Josh Allen success story, but the odds are he doesn't. The level of improvement he has to make is pretty significant. At best at this point if surrounded by elite talent and protected by a stellar defense he can be a game manager.  But right now, as Ron said, the team needs better. 

Odds are against every QB.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

No. How Ron doesn’t believe in the team and all that other crap. Your hyperbolic speculation discredits any rational thought you may have.

My opinion of Ron comes from his own comments and actions. All these excuses about the process, having an evaluation season, not taking timeouts to attempt to win games, etc. I just expected different from Ron. You seem to be fine with losing and have the expectation of losing so maybe that's why you're fine with Ron's actions and words. I think we are a better team than that, a team that deserves to have timeouts taken to try to win games.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Based on Rivera's statements today, sounds like he disagrees with him being automatically given the full season. Not sure i agree with him.  But will see how it plays out.  Hopefully Haskins improves and it becomes a nonissue

I speculate that Rivera says that to the media to gauge DHs response. 

19 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Just catching up, what @Skinsinparadise posted sounds like Rivera putting Haskins on notice, pretty brutal but honest words.

But that's not the full quote. He gives an explanation that agrees with what Haskins said as well, saying that Haskins got to his read too fast and then stayed there and waited. Its not as cut and dry as it seems in that quote. 

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I asked this before and no one responded hopefully someone does this time.

Does anyone have a link to the text of Coach Rivera’s press conference today that @Skinsinparadise partially quoted?

You can go over to hogshaven.com. They generally have a twitter based transcription of every press conference. 

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I asked this before and no one responded hopefully someone does this time.

Does anyone have a link to the text of Coach Rivera’s press conference today that @Skinsinparadise partially quoted?

Full quote, no video though.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think it'd be disingenuous of Ron to pin the losses on Dwayne and suggest that supporting him could eventually lose the locker room.  I don't think that's what he meant at all.  I think he does support Dwayne and understands the development process.

I don't think he pinned the loses on Haskins.  Rivera is a straightforward dude for better or worse.  I think his comments about the play of others on the team and saying there will be a cut off point with Haskins speaks for itself.  I don't think there is any ambiguity to those statements. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Full quote, no video though.

Thanks Volsmet! 

So I guess she just transcribed her questions. It would be nice to get a full transcript of the entire pc as that’s easier to quickly absorb.

For those interested the full video is available here:

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/video/press-conference-head-coach-ron-rivera-september-28-2020

• Like 2
  • TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic