Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Haskins doesn’t hold the ball long enough to stare down a WR. For better or worse, the mistakes were made quickly, I think people conflate misreading a zone with staring down a WR.

3 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Coach seems to disagree with your assessment.

Edited by ExoDus84
3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Just catching up, what @Skinsinparadise posted sounds like Rivera putting Haskins on notice, pretty brutal but honest words.

It's quite the shift from his comments yesterday when Rivera said he was standing by him. His more pointed remarks today make me wonder if the film looks worse on review than Rivera expected.

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:
Even given the circumstances, i don’t understand how these numbers aren’t huge gigantic red flags. He’s the worst QB in the league by a few different measures. That isn’t progress. It’s scary as hell 

His chart at the end of last season looked exactly the same. Pretty rough. I was certainly hoping for more of what we saw towards the end of last season from Haskins. However, all the stats in the world are pointing towards the same conclusion that chart is illustrating.

Edited by ExoDus84
5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea though of tanking for a pick to me strikes me more of fan driven thing versus a coach like Rivera. But you never know. 

But yeah for me personally I'd rather sink or swim with Haskins and if its a disaster its not the end of the world because it likely results in a high pick.  Not sure though Rivera sees it the same way. 

I think he does.  He's a coach who was given ultimate power this offseason to build the team how he sees fit.  With all the cap space we have, we could have easily made a much better offer to Cooper, given more money to a more qualified FS than Davis, brought in a vet LT, an actual starting caliber TE, WR2 etc.  But it's clear to me that wins/losses was always a secondary concern for Rivera this season.  He mentioned the term "evaluation year" so often for a reason.  He wants to see which of the young guys should be built around for future seasons.  He's much more focused on the long term than he is the W/L column this season.

41 minutes ago, mojo said:

Kyle Allen

In his first five games he started, all of which were wins, he threw 9 touchdown passes with zero interceptions. He was the first quarterback in NFL history to be 5–0 in their first five games started without throwing an interception.[38] 

I remember watching some of those games too. He looked like a stud. That's why I want to see him play. I know he stunk up the field the rest of the season, but at least he showed at one point in his season that he could be a difference maker. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He's much more focused on the long term than he is the W/L column this season.

Agree with that point.  But coaches swear up and down that they don't give a rats behind about landing a high draft pick during the season and they play to win. Dolphins is a great case in point they telegraphed (via the media) before last season they wanted a high pick which was rare for any team to telegraph but their HC still didn't cooperate with that.  But who knows?

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with that point.  But coaches swear up and down that they don't give a rats behind about landing a high draft pick during the season and they play to win. Dolphins is a great case in point they telegraphed (via the media) before last season they wanted a high pick which was rare for any team to telegraph but their HC still didn't cooperate with that.  But who knows?

I think the difference is that Rivera has much more job security this year than the Dolphins' HC had last year.  His job security is the highest it's ever going to be during his current contract.  And "tanking" this year actually increases his job security long term.

But I agree that no one knows for sure except for Ron (and maybe his wife).

15 minutes ago, Napredskins1 said:

With the division being so bad and there for the taking it feels like we could be in the playoffs with some decent QB play. 

You're gonna find out next week when we play Baltimore just how much of a contender we really are. I remember a couple seasons back when we started 2-0 and lost a close game to KC. Everyone thought we were a real team and our defense could hold their own. Then we played like 4 good offenses in 5 weeks and gave up about 30-35 in all except one. 

It's easy to look credible with smoke and mirrors. Eagles aren't a good team, nor is Cleveland. I thought Arizona was until they looked like garbage against the Lions.

I expect next week to be a blood bath.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Even given the circumstances, i don’t understand how these numbers aren’t huge gigantic red flags. He’s the worst QB in the league by a few different measures. That isn’t progress. It’s scary as hell 

There is still the possibility he improves.

The probability is diminishing. All three games have been some flashes with a lot of dreck.

We'll see.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

BatteredFanSyndrome said: Buddy hasn't even made a full season of starts in his career and we're already parsing both the QB and head coaches words, finding clips with less than flattering dialogue from practice, etc.  This isn't going to end well.  Sheesh.

PartyPosse responded: Does it ever?

It's incredible how fast people have turned on Ron here.

Faced with the reality of our situation we are all struggling to get through the 7 stages of grief.

Some of us are still in anger, others are stuck in denial or bargaining only a very select few (and I am not yet among them) have made it to the nirvana of acceptance.

• Haha 3
18 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You're gonna find out next week when we play Baltimore just how much of a contender we really are. I remember a couple seasons back when we started 2-0 and lost a close game to KC. Everyone thought we were a real team and our defense could hold their own. Then we played like 4 good offenses in 5 weeks and gave up about 30-35 in all except one. 

It's easy to look credible with smoke and mirrors. Eagles aren't a good team, nor is Cleveland. I thought Arizona was until they looked like garbage against the Lions.

I expect next week to be a blood bath.

yep, unfortunately, I agree on all points...and looking at the opening line vegas thinks 32ish - 20ish...Ravens can definitely hang 32 plus on us...can we score 20?...don't think so...but you never know in the NFL...if we can manage 2 and 2 over the next four games heading into the bye week... I believe we have a puncher's chance at the expanded paloffs...but that could be a mixture of my burgundy drink and gold glasses...HTTR

39 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I  expect  next week to be a blood bath.

PartyPosse said: I  expect  next week to be a blood bath.

image.gif.06e7e92364bb9da4ba61fc57182553b3.gif

T minus 7 days til the blood bath...

image.gif

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 3

I’m torn on Haskins... and I’m surprised more aren’t. I understand this last game was ugly, very ugly, but guy is surrounded by trash. I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I’m weighing the whole situation and not understanding the outrage. 

facts: 

-we all knew Haskins was raw coming out of college and would need time to develop.

-his sophomore year starts off with an implementation of a new offense.

-his sophomore year offseason gets screwed by COVID. 
-he’s playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in football.

-he’s playing with one of the worst wr corps in football.

how can anyone look at this equation and expect anything more than what they’re seeing? All of the above equates to a serious impediment of his progression. He’s a natural leader, he is studying up, he has the arm... I don’t love what I’m seeing either, but you’re missing something if you think he should be further along or if you think any qbs aside from the proven top tier could come here and turn this into a competent offense.

turner needs to open up the damn playbook and keep defenses guessing. We don’t have the talent to win with this vanilla offense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

This is setting up for an "I told you so game" for Haskins. Watch Baltimore take us lightly and we make it a game. Not saying that will happen, but I've seen it before. Haskins probably comes out and throws 300+ with 3 tds. 

Don’t hog it bro. Pass that dutchie on the left hand side.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
8 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

This is setting up for an "I told you so game" for Haskins. Watch Baltimore take us lightly and we make it a game. Not saying that will happen, but I've seen it before. Haskins probably comes out and throws 300+ with 3 tds. 

This weekend I was wondering when was the last time we had a QB with 300+ yards passing in a game? I need to look it up...probably Cousins. 

Edited by Napredskins1
Added something
23 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I’m torn on Haskins... and I’m surprised more aren’t. I understand this last game was ugly, very ugly, but guy is surrounded by trash. I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I’m weighing the whole situation and not understanding the outrage. 

facts: 

-we all knew Haskins was raw coming out of college and would need time to develop.

-his sophomore year starts off with an implementation of a new offense.

-his sophomore year offseason gets screwed by COVID. 
-he’s playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in football.

-he’s playing with one of the worst wr corps in football.

how can anyone look at this equation and expect anything more than what they’re seeing? All of the above equates to a serious impediment of his progression. He’s a natural leader, he is studying up, he has the arm... I don’t love what I’m seeing either, but you’re missing something if you think he should be further along or if you think any qbs aside from the proven top tier could come here and turn this into a competent offense.

turner needs to open up the damn playbook and keep defenses guessing. We don’t have the talent to win with this vanilla offense. 

So you don’t expect anything better than being the worst starter in the league by a lot of different measures? 

That bar is so low and completely unreasonable 

I mean outside of the first point, doesn’t all that stuff apply to Minshew, Burrow, Herbert, and Jones (and Im not gonna use him in this example but hell, how many games did Kyler Murray play in college?) None of them are All Pros but they are performing like normal young QBs. Lots of ups and downs from week to week. Except their ups are way higher. 

Terry McLaurin would be the best pass catcher on each of those teams with maybe a case being made for Keenan Allen in LA.

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 4
10 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I don't know man, those are a lot of excuses to justify horrible play. What I saw yesterday was a pocket that was fine most of the game, receivers that got open, and simply a qb that couldn't make throws. Let's see what Allen could do with this team. I would bet a lot of money that we'd be better and be able to throw the ball downfield. We aren't nearly as bad as the Haskins supporters are trying to make us seem. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, RWJ said:

Yep, says a lot to me as him as a team player and not taking advise from a team player.  Don't like this at all and those that think it's ok I think need to examine themselves.  

LB's are smart dudes. We seen Will Compton catch the issue early on, with Cravens. And now, Davis and Haskins.

If a linebacker gives you advice, ya better listen. Even if you play another position.

There's a reason they're the "QB of the defense"

27 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

You mean a "You like that !?" game ?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I don't know man, those are a lot of excuses to justify horrible play. What I saw yesterday was a pocket that was fine most of the game, receivers that got open, and simply a qb that couldn't make throws. Let's see what Allen could do with this team. I would bet a lot of money that we'd be better and be able to throw the ball downfield. We aren't nearly as bad as the Haskins supporters are trying to make us seem. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/24/panthers-kyle-allen-deep-ball-accuracy/

4. SAM DARNOLD'S AND DWAYNE HASKINS' STRUGGLES CAN'T BE PINNED SOLELY ON THEIR OFFENSIVE ENVIRONMENTS

The Washington Football Team and New York Jets have fielded two of the NFL's worst offenses early in the 2020 NFL season. That's not exactly a surprise. Neither team had much talent to work with on that side of the ball, and both quarterbacks came into the season without ever showing that they can elevate the players around them. Through three weeks, that assessment hasn't changed. In fact, it's only grown stronger. It's worth questioning how long Darnold and Haskins keep their starting jobs if the season continues the way it started.

The two quarterbacks turned in two of the three lowest PFF passing grades of Week 3 so far, and it's hard to imagine either Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson joining those depths tonight. When looking at the season as a whole, only Carson Wentz keeps the duo from locking down the lowest two passing grades among qualifying quarterbacks.

Ohio State QB's just don't translate to the NFL, for whatever reason. And they have had some really good QB's through the years...  Haskins, Cardayle Jones, Troy Smith, JT Barrett, Pryor, just outstanding college QB's. Fields may be the best player in the county, even better than Lawrence. That would be funny if we end up drafting Fields and getting rid of Haskins. 

• Like 2
  • TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic