Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

I love ol' Doug, but he has no business directing anything related to a team's football operations. He would be a nice mentor for young players, but beyond that, no mgmt role. As for Alex Smith, he's spent the last year and a half in intense rehab, not a football mgmt trainee program. I want someone who has experience running these operations. We all know that the owner has no acumen for it, so our team needs a credible, bona fide executive with experience. Ashburn ain't a place for people who need training wheels. I do like Smith, too, and given all that he's been through, I hope he finds a way to stay close to football without trying to play again.

Not disagreeing with you at all...but for all we know Alex Smith is a very sharp football mind? Doug is an organizational guy who could add to that...Maybe Alex becomes team President and hires a GM? The possibilities are endless. Again, I go back to my example of John Lynch and how he's been so successful in SF. One thing is for sure, this has the look of even more confusion and dysfunction but SF put a good football man in as GM who hired a good head coach and they're the best team in the NFC. Maybe that's the formula?

50 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is exactly what people said about Zorn under Holmgren. What has Eric B ever done? He is OC in name only. Doesn’t call the plays. Other Reid OCs have called plays including Prederson and Nagy most recently. So if Andy isn’t willing to hand Eric B the play calling duties like he did his other coordinators why in the world would we make him the head coach?

This is literally Zorn 2.0 and why is there even speculation who the front runner is before the GM is settled? 

He has had a major hand in developing Patrick Mahomes according to reports. That's good enough for me!!!

Let's keep our fingers crossed, @kingdaddy. We definitely need to get this one right. We have too much young talent on both sides of the ball. I think the right HC (and staff) could work wonders with those players. That's why I'm not even so worried about Bienemy not being the play-caller in KC. Gruden called plays before he arrived in Ashburn, and that didn't do much for us. I'd rather have someone who can put together a strong coaching staff that will develop and get the most out of the players we have. The HC should have the authority to put together his own staff without any interference from the owner. If it's a clean sweep of all the current coaches on staff, fine by me. But the next group needs to be better. I have always liked Cavanaugh, but Gruden never gave him the charge to do his thing.

I did go out and buy a little something special. I'll open it and grab a few glasses once I see news of the team president's firing and a new era beginning at Redskins Park.

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Not disagreeing with you at all...but for all we know Alex Smith is a very sharp football mind? Doug is an organizational guy who could add to that...Maybe Alex becomes team President and hires a GM? The possibilities are endless. Again, I go back to my example of John Lynch and how he's been so successful in SF. One thing is for sure, this has the look of even more confusion and dysfunction but SF put a good football man in as GM who hired a good head coach and they're the best team in the NFC. Maybe that's the formula?

He has had a major hand in developing Patrick Mahomes according to reports. That's good enough for me!!!

Hasselbeck said the same thing about Zorn. If developing an existing QB on our roster is a factor in the next hire then it’s already doomed. You let the new people evaluate and make their decisions. If it’s Eric B then it’s Zorn 2.0 and we will miss the relatively epic competence we had with Jay. 

I don’t want McCarthy either. I think a low risk choice is Todd Bowles. He will get this D playing at a high level. 

I am struggling to understand why Eric B is a better candidate than another OC peer like Brian Daboll. Daboll has been an OC longer, has spent most of his career under Belichek and Saban and is doing a hell of a job in Buffalo with no above average skill talent outside Singletary

19 minutes ago, method man said:

I am struggling to understand why Eric B is a better candidate than another OC peer like Brian Daboll. Daboll has been an OC longer, has spent most of his career under Belichek and Saban and is doing a hell of a job in Buffalo with no above average skill talent outside Singletary

Hes not, hes a terrible candidate which is why Danny will prob go that route.  Avoid coordinators who hasnt even had the full responsibility of their jobs (no play calling) working  under known masterminds (Reid) and surrounded with generational talents (Mahomes, Hill) and with a checkered past (DUI and other run ins with the law).

I wouldn't hate going with mike McCarthy. 

If nothing else he's excellent with quarterbacks and if he decided haskins had enough to work with he would certainly be the guy to get the most out of his talents.

He had some great years in green bay and maybe he's not the next rising superstar but he might be enough to right the ship before we try to set sail.

20 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Hasselbeck said the same thing about Zorn. If developing an existing QB on our roster is a factor in the next hire then it’s already doomed. You let the new people evaluate and make their decisions. If it’s Eric B then it’s Zorn 2.0 and we will miss the relatively epic competence we had with Jay. 

I don’t want McCarthy either. I think a low risk choice is Todd Bowles. He will get this D playing at a high level. 

I have to ask, where do you draw the comparison between Bienemy and Zorn? I'm reading that Bienemy is a top candidate and you are comparing him to Zorn. If I recall, Zorn was a totally out of left field hire by Snyder that no one saw coming. He wasn't considered a top contender for any NFL team. Just curious as to how you draw this comparison.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:23 PM, Gallen5862 said:

I wonder if one of the Coaches the Redskins have reached out to includes Ron Rivera. It would be great if the Redskins can get a coach before other teams create job openings. I also wonder if Rex Ryan was also contacted to join his brother Rob Ryan on the Redskins.

Gallen gonna Gallen...

20 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

No thanks on Todd Bowles unless he is the D coordinator. His stint with Jets was terrible as head coach. 

21 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is exactly what people said about Zorn under Holmgren. What has Eric B ever done? He is OC in name only. Doesn’t call the plays. Other Reid OCs have called plays including Prederson and Nagy most recently. So if Andy isn’t willing to hand Eric B the play calling duties like he did his other coordinators why in the world would we make him the head coach?

This is literally Zorn 2.0 and why is there even speculation who the front runner is before the GM is settled? 

Nobody ever said anything about Zorn, because Zorn was literally never considered for anything. He had a ten year history of a quarterbacks coach - seven of those under McCarthy. As far as I know, he never was considered seriously for any offensive coordinator's job until he was hired here....for that job. And then when literally no one else wanted the head coach's job, Dan just said, "**** it!" and promoted Zorn.

Zorn was the Seahawks' quarterbacks coach for the last seven years, helping develop

Matt Hasselbeck into a Pro Bowl player, but he had never been a coordinator for an NFL team until the Redskins came calling. Now he's making the jump to head coach.

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nfl/id/3238687

I literally cannot find any article praising Zorn at all in the lead-up to his hire. I'm sure this board praised it, because this board still leaned toward in-house propaganda back then. Back when the Redskins actually knew it existed.

Bienemy is trendy right now for a few reasons. 1. He's Andy Reid's guy, and front offices loves Andy's guys. 2. He's an OC of a high powered offense. OCs of high-powered offenses are the new hotness. 3. And, honestly, being a black guy probably helps on some level. I don't think anyone is looking for "the next Mike Tomlin" any longer, but that was certainly a thing for a while.

Bienemy is actually older than I thought he was. Which is stupid because I'm old and he was in college when I was in high school, and I should be aware of my own age. 

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I have to ask, where do you draw the comparison between Bienemy and Zorn? I'm reading that Bienemy is a top candidate and you are comparing him to Zorn. If I recall, Zorn was a totally out of left field hire by Snyder that no one saw coming. He wasn't considered a top contender for any NFL team. Just curious as to how you draw this comparison.

An assistant under an offensive guru whose recent staff already produced Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy as head coaches. Andy Reid isn’t willing to give him play calling duties. It’s basically like everyone hiring anyone associated with Sean McVay last year.  What are Bienemy’s actual duties there? Seems like he’s riding the success that was already there surrounded by coaching and on field talent. The KC coaching well is dry at this point. 

Eric B came up as a running back. Coaches running backs at Colorado, UCLA, Vikings, Eagles and Chiefs. Now he’s supposedly a QB whisperer because he has the OC title under Andy Reid in name only? I’m not buying any of it. He’s the worst possible candidate given the uncertainties. Literally Zorn 2.0...

21 hours ago, method man said:

Callahan is absolutely in the mix.

You don't take a Stud Position Coach, who's one of the best in the league at what he does. and then remove and replace him with a guy who's a HUGE question mark, and move him into a Temporary Position, with no intention of making him permanent, along with seeing him move onto another team.

23 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I kinda agree to a certain  extent.  Bringing in a guy to make the previous regime's QB work seems destined to fail.  That's how Gruden started. The new guy should evaluate Haskins and decide if he wants him or not.

But I wont put Zorn 2.0 on Bieniemy.  Zorn went from QB coach to head coach which nobody was even thinking of him as.  Bieniemy has been an OC and has developed into a HC candidate.  

And Gruden went from the AFL to NFL OC.  I'll take Bieniemy's credentials.  You could do a lot worse than being groomed under Andy Reid.

23 hours ago, method man said:

This is the best offense Daboll has ever run and they're 20th in the league.  None of his offenses have been any good.  It's like saying Rob Ryan shoulda been a head coach and all his defense sucked.

From Michael Pagano (@michaelpagano71): Does (Cowboys’ head coach Jason) Garrett get fired in the offseason, and if so, who replaces him?

Michael, if the Cowboys don’t win at least one playoff game, I think Garrett is out. And part of this is logistical. The team doesn’t actually have to fire Garrett since his contract is up in January. If they let him go, they don’t owe him a dime. If they go forward with him, it’ll likely mean a four- or five-year deal and a financial commitment of more than $30 million guaranteed.

There won’t be any half-stepping this one. And while I know Dallas really loves top assistants Kris Richard and Kellen Moore, I think it’d be tough to go forward based on the season has gone without a full reset. The Joneses do believe both will eventually be head coaches, but individual performance is part of this too. Richard’s defense has had tackling and discipline issues. Moore’s offense has had problems adjusting of script of late.

You’ve heard the names the Cowboys will look at, and I believe there are two aspects of the next hire to watch: the prominence and prior success of the coach, and the development of Dak Prescott. So Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley and ex-Ohio State coach Urban Meyer top the list, and I’d think that Baylor’s Matt Rhule and Florida’s Dan Mullen (Prescott’s college coach) would also merit consideration.

From Tom Brennan (@thomasbrennan23): If Shurmur and Gettleman both go who are likely candidates to replace them?

Tom, if Pat Shurmur and Dave Gettleman are gone, I’d put Baylor’s Rhule at the very top of the list. But after what Rhule went through last year with the Jets, I’m told that Rhule is going to be very careful about where he goes in pursuing his goal of becoming an NFL head coach—which means the Giants’ job might take some convincing. Rhule worked for the Giants in 2012, so he knows what’s right and what’s wrong about that place.

I also believe it’d be hard for Rhule, as a native New Yorker, to say no to the Giants—similar to my thinking that it’d be hard for Lincoln Riley to say no to the Cowboys. If it’s not Rhule, I’d tell you that the Giants value head-coaching experience and some level of familiarity with a candidate. That’s why Jason Garrett’s name will come up—and the Maras haven’t been shy about how much they personally like their former backup quarterback, though I’m not sold that they’d move quickly to hire him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/11/nfl-head-coaching-carousel-matt-rhule-mailbag?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

50 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You don't take a Stud Position Coach, who's one of the best in the league at what he does. and then remove and replace him with a guy who's a HUGE question mark, and move him into a Temporary Position, with no intention of making him permanent, along with seeing him move onto another team.

Every beat guy that I can tell including Standig who might be the closest to Bruce among them have said Callahan is very likely a goner.  But if Bruce survives then Callahan has a shot.  They seem to be billed as a team. 

I've been trying to connect some dots on some of the rumored interests. 

We know about the relationship Eric B. has with Alex Smith and Alex's possible influence. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/new-report-shows-redskins-interested-eric-bieniemy-head-coach

While Smith isn't playing this year, and might not play ever again, his influence seems to be growing at Redskins Park. He's often seen on the practice fields working with rookie QB Dwayne Haskins, and should Bieniemy get the job, his biggest task would be developing the 15th overall pick. Surely, Smith's familiarity with Bieniemy would come up should he become a viable candidate for the job, if it hasn't already. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Then there was mentioned a college coach and I started poking around to see what college coaches have a connection to Alex Smith.

https://kslsports.com/415802/urban-meyer-alex-smith-invented-the-run-pass-option-while-at-utah/

Former Utah football head coach Urban Meyer credited former Utah quarterback Alex Smith for inventing the run-pass option in a spread offense of college football.

Meyer gave Smith the inventor label when breaking down RPOs in a spread offense during Fox Sports’ Big Noon Kickoff show on Saturday, August 31.

Meyer said that he had never seen the play before when Smith ran it during a game during his playing days with the Utes.

“Alex Smith being the very intelligently player that he is, flips it out there and he (the wide receiver) takes off running,” said Meyer as he broke down the play where he first saw Smith use a run-pass option.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Meyer would be the type of coach that would want complete control (something he wouldn't get in Dallas), no nonsense guy and obviously a huge Haskins fan. 

I think one of the guys high on their list is Urban Meyer.  Whether they can lure him here is another story but IMO, he'd be a big splash kind of hire.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Urban Meyer has some major health issues though. I'd be incredibly surprised if he takes on a super high stress NFL HC gig. I think he'll stick to being a commentator or something like that. 

He's part of that afternoon CBS network and I've seen him quite a bit like on Colin Cowherd.  There's some speculation that he wants to return to coaching.  We'll see.

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wha...what? Any time you hire a new HC he usually brings in his own guys anyways, even when you do have good position coaches already in place. Trying to force a new prospective HC to keep certain position coaches on staff is a recipe for disaster and often leads to hires not happening in the first place. So Callahan was probably gone regardless, you don't take a position coach, any position coach, into account too much when you're cleaning house.

And to top it off, when an assistant coach actually IS impressive enough and a good enough fit for the new HC to want to keep him, it can still happen organically even if he WAS the interim HC himself. An example is McVay deciding to keep on the ST Coordinator after he had replaced Fisher and become the interim HC of the Rams that season. 

So yeah, none of this matters in the big picture. Callahan is absolutely not in the mix because Snyder knows he's up ****'s creek with this fanbase right now and hiring Callahan is like handing a dying man a thimbleful of salt water after a week in the desert sun. 

52 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

He's part of that afternoon CBS network and I've seen him quite a bit like on Colin Cowherd.  There's some speculation that he wants to return to coaching.  We'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great coach but I feel like returning to coaching (in the NFL as a HC no less) after quitting coaching only a year ago due to health issues would be a stretch. I'd think it would be borderline irresponsible, unless taking that year off has really improved him and he (and his family) truly believe he's ready to head back. With his past health concerns I'd also be a bit worried that if he did take the job he wouldn't be here for more than a season or two before his health deteriorated again due to the stress and he'd have to quit. 

Archived