Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raiders suspending Antonio Brown

Spaceman Spiff

8 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm saying that Oakland, in releasing him, was doing absolutely all they can do about him. I agree with Battered, they handled it poorly from the start, but there was nothing more unethical in what they did than what teams are allowed to do.

Man, ya, its early to call it unethical, I dont know if that's the right word for an individual franchise, yet.  NFL knows what time it is, I'd argue by every team having doctor for it, that is coming, and I'll support mandatory mental health screening in the NFL.  I wish Oakland did have him evaluated, I may be compromised, but I know this is right.

51 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

And your proof for that is that they managed to send him an offer that they prepared well in advance when they realized their was a high chance that he hit the market? I think we've gone full circle.

Totally full circle.  We are 95% in agreement.  The 5% we’re talking about is that you think the Pats have too much respect for the shield to tamper with AB and also that, over and above any “preparations”, this whole thing just fell into their lap in the space of two hours on the Saturday before week one.  And that’s great!

I feel a bit skeptical about that.  Agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, Nerm said:

If I am the Raiders GM, there is no way I risk $30+ million in cap space after what he has been doing.  If you have seen the video of AB reacting to the news he was cut, it really seems like this was his goal all along.  He was going out of his way to show that he was going to continue being a problem for the team, from what I can tell.

Then why bother with all the BS early this week, bring him into apologize, tell the world he’s playing and it’s all good...and then notify him his guarantees are gone after all that?  It’s just sloppy any way you look at it.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Not every time a professional (or college) athlete acts like a giant piece of garbage is it attributable to concussions.  

You know who else was a jerk who signed with the Patriots? Randy Moss.  He hit a meter maid with his car, and often acted like a **** to people.  He just had more moments where he was seemingly likable.   

The CTE thing is starting to make people apologists for terrible human beings because that seems more tolerable to our mind than remembering that the people who dominate the serious or violent crime stats on college campuses are often the very people that some cheer for on Saturdays (then Sundays.) 

CTE is bad enough the damage to the the brain is obvious, and we are finding in nearly every brain we examine.  This isn't a new thing, we just have a name for what might be happening.  Not all jerks have brain damage, fine give you that, what I'm suggesting is we look for it more because it seems so many players that die either old ones and more recent ones seem to have it.  We should be looking at the correlation now instead of acting suprised anymore or making assumptions their just jerks, especially if it looks like its getting worse over time, that's the trend for the many after they leave the leauge (especially those that commit suicide).  I can tell this is unpopular, but I'm suggesting we try to get ahead of it now and actually ask the question.

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

You are still arguing a totally separate point that i have made no comment on, at all. Please tell me where I said the testing would never become mandatory. I never even inferred it. It is highly possible and if it works then it would be awesome. I would totally support it. I agree the league should be doing more. I am not disputing that at all. Not sure how else i can say it... 🙂  

But that has absolutely zero to do with the current situation and what Oakland should or more importantly can do to AB. They are two entirely different conversations. Currently Oakland would be in serious violation of the CBA and possibly be open to civil litigation. 

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I suggested mandatory screening on my own.  You right, I'm talking about two things at the same time...because I believe they are related, truce on that.  I'm willing to drop this, I can't convince you its the right thing to do because you're saying the current CBA won't allow it.  Fine, I can move on from that.  It should be in the next one.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Then why bother with all the BS early this week, bring him into apologize, tell the world he’s playing and it’s all good...and then notify him his guarantees are gone after all that?  It’s just sloppy any way you look at it.

Yeah but, imagine if he was on the Redskins.

I mean, seriously.

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I suggested mandatory screening on my own.  You right, I'm talking about two things at the same time...because I believe they are related, truce on that.  I'm willing to drop this, I can't convince you its the right thing to do because you're saying the current CBA won't allow it.  Fine, I can move on from that.  It should be in the next one.

I agree they should look at adding it. And probably not wait till the next CBA. So I get it. My point is that with Oakland you just can't ignore the CBA and the law and do it because you think it's right. 

You still have never addressed the critical part of this. What if does not have CTE and you spread that he does as you suggested to begin with - which is what got my attention and what I have the biggest problem with. He could just be a dumbass - :705::cheers:

27 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Typically that is not something the FO would do. The apology was arranged by AB and the team captains directly to the players. Had nothing to do with he FO. 

I do agree they handled this pretty sloppy. Funny how he was suddenly sorry when he found out $30M was on the line. Funny how that can make you contrite all of a sudden. The guy has some majors issues. I hope he gets help. 

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

And I'm old enough to remember when the Patriots were the joke of the league. I mean, I guess they still are, in some ways, only now with

six Super Bowls :( 

Me too.  Until Tom Brady happened, my perception of the Patriots was that their greatest accomplishment was being the team that was chosen for sacrifice against the 85 Bears.  It was like they were the Generals against the Globetrotters.  They totally let the Bears put on a show, as was prophesied in The Super Bowl Shuffle video.

Just now, goskins10 said:

I agree they should look at adding it. And probably not wait till the next CBA. So I get it. My point is that with Oakland you just can't ignore the CBA and the law and do it because you think it's right. 

You still have never addressed the critical part of this. What if does not have CTE and you spread that he does as you suggested to begin with - which is what got my attention and what I have the biggest problem with. He could just be a dumbass - :705::cheers:

I've said a couple times to focus on the protein build up and behavior to look for a correlation, from there start doing brainscans.  

People like Portis said they were starting to have memory issues while they were still playing, whether to make that information public, I think that's missing the point.  You want me to say "no", okay, then what are you going to do if they find out one of their players is suicidal after they eventually do mandatory mental health screening?  This is a conversation that doens't belong in this thread.

They'll be able to go beyond correlation and say that's what's really happening, in the meantime, screen everyone regularly to make sure they need help or not, don't wait for it to become a problem or act like its not the franchise problem if a player is heading in that direction.  If you can't have it in this CBA, put it in the nest one, I think we are there now.

23 minutes ago, Nerm said:

Me too.  Until Tom Brady happened, my perception of the Patriots was that their greatest accomplishment was being the team that was chosen for sacrifice against the 85 Bears.  It was like they were the Generals against the Globetrotters.  They totally let the Bears put on a show, as was prophesied in The Super Bowl Shuffle video.

Its all Belicheck. Brady is very smart and efficient, but quite frankly there are a lot of those kind of QBs in the league. Bellcheck OTOH is priceless. He could outwit Lombardi, Shula, Gibbs, Parcells and Walsh, even they were all working in unison. 

EDIT: Subtract Parcells and add Jimmy Johnson to that list. He was the more cunning of the two. 

I just had a sad thought.  The Patriots signing AB gives me bad flashbacks of them going undefeated when they signed Moss.  But the disturbing part is, there are rumors out of New Jersey of "the Legend of 3LI", where Eli rises up once again to win against the unbeatable foe.

5 hours ago, Nerm said:

I just had a sad thought.  The Patriots signing AB gives me bad flashbacks of them going undefeated when they signed Moss.  But the disturbing part is, there are rumors out of New Jersey of "the Legend of 3LI", where Eli rises up once again to win against the unbeatable foe.

If the Pats get done in by anything, itll be because they have two oddball WR's.

Otherwise, hard to see them catching more than one or two L's this year.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

why are people arguing CTE because a wide receiver, of all things, is acting like a lunatic?  

This is a league where Kellen Winslow brought a full replica of a woman's nether parts with him on the road.  A league where Charles Haley masturbated in front of teammates and pulled his genitals out and acted insane all through Super Bowl runs.  Where guys hit women or lose their cool in other situations with millions on the line.  Skill position players seem very susceptible to this, I don't know if it's the attention they got growing up or the attention they get from external sources in the league.  There was one guy who blew his career by killing (and attempting to murder) his gf and son, respectively.  Rapists, lunatics, and for some reason lots of wideouts seem to have bipolar issues (there was the one guy who played for Detroit, Brandon Marshall, maybe AB?)

Not every time a professional (or college) athlete acts like a giant piece of garbage is it attributable to concussions.  

You know who else was a jerk who signed with the Patriots? Randy Moss.  He hit a meter maid with his car, and often acted like a **** to people.  He just had more moments where he was seemingly likable.   

The CTE thing is starting to make people apologists for terrible human beings because that seems more tolerable to our mind than remembering that the people who dominate the serious or violent crime stats on college campuses are often the very people that some cheer for on Saturdays (then Sundays.) 

You done?

For me, its not really about him solely acting like a piece of crap. It's him exhibiting all around odd and strange behavior like dying his facial hair blonde, obsessing about the helmet, exhibiting strong signs of paranoid delusional type behavior through social media, etc. Seems like whatever is going on is/was amplifying his... Stuff.

The "Diva Receiver" is nothing more than WR being  the most dependant, and occasionally boring job on the field, for many guys who brought up as child prodigies, but also guys who have violent, traumatic backgrounds and childhoods (leading to emotional bursts when they are, in their minds, neglected), which im sure have the potential to be exacerbated by blows to the head.

Now, could he be just an asshole? Perhaps. But I would be far more skeptical of that than I would be of him having cte or some mental health issue.

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Im sorry, is that more than $15 million?  Maybe my math is rusty.

Second, no they dont.  Its actually much worse, they have $4.9 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

Cap Space: $9,124,727  according to overthecap $6 mil according to others

If they signed him I believe they are probably restructuring some other contracts

With all the suspicions surrounding this deal with Bellicheat, I hope he'll end up like Albert Aintworth in NE

Archived