Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mason Foster released

Riggo-toni

Fist, this seems to be going personal - or at least you are taking my comments personal. To that end, if my comments felt personal, that was not the intent. I do question the content. I still question the content. But the response were not meant to be personal. 

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

What other ILB on the roster has any regular NFL starting experience?  I jus checked, hes also the only player on the team site labeled as ILB.  I dont get how being concerned about this is being dramatic, should I just not say nothing? This the official team message board, where else am I going to bring this up?

So your concern is the overall approach to ILB not the releasing Foster and signing Bostic. I don't totally disagree but this is the Foster thread so my focus and responses have been in this context. There is a free agency thread that this would probably make more sense. I say that because the trade out from Foster to Bostic seems a pretty solid change. Foster sucks and is more expensive. Bostic may be great - and in fairness likely is not. But he is at least cheaper. 

But Ok, lets do the larger discussion. As for any other ILB - true they only list Bostic. However, SDH is an ILB. And there are others that are listed as just LBs and even played OLB in college that they are looking at for ILB. These roster listings, especially off-season are very much debatable as they are just not kept accurate. Even during the season it's typically pretty far behnad. 

I agree i am not excited about going into the season with the current guys on the roster so I probably should have been clearer when I said I was Ok with their direction. That comment was meant more in a vacuum as it applies to Foster/Bostic. But even overall, releasing Foster does not change that one way or the other. He was just not good. Good to move on even if it's just to give rookies a shot. 

Again, I was responding to idea of going in without adding anyone else.  

That is clearer now but it was not before, at least not to me. i do not disagree completely. But I am not sure it's a as big a problem as you appear to believe it is. Time will tell. 

I do if they dont bring someone else in.  I'm not feeling what we're doing at ILB and hope I'm wrong.

Would love for them to have someone dropped from another team that has more experience and maybe even has had some success. Never know. It has happened before. 

Not too surprising of a cut although timing is a little unusual. He supposedly was on the trading block since March. 

We were relying on Rueben Foster a lot before his injury so I’m sure they didn’t make this cut without feeling confident that one of the new guys or FA pickups could be suitable replacements. I think what hurt Mason is him losing weight before OTAs. His best attribute was he was a thumper, not a sideline to sideline ILB. With our big defensive line, I think we are shifting to a LB corp that is fast and can run. Foster just didn’t fit into it. 

There are plenty of slower ILBs that are available and will be available during the summer. If the team doesn’t believe they have the guys I’m sure they will go out and get one. It’s not a position that needs to be with the team a long time to get acclimated in order to play. 

Didn’t we get Foster late in preseason?

Yeah after losing weight he is kind of in no mans land. Teams bring him in needing a Mike, ask him to weigh in, and then tell him, um we aren't looking for a Sam. They have no game tape of him at this new found weight.

I wonder what his 40 is before and after his crash diet.

Maybe get back to eating, Mason. Quickly.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Sam Dion Hamilton has some good traits. High school valedictorian, military family, team captain, rolls tide, national championship experiences.... offset by injuries of course. But it looks like his job to lose.  #20

Hehe, Sam Dion??

55 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Hehe, Sam Dion??

If the shoe fits, wear it.

Ironically perhaps, but Mason Mike Foster having undergone significant weight loss, probably made him better cut for the Sam mold. Leaving himself virtually, positionless. A tweener.  A hybrid...  a Sike.

23 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If the shoe fits, wear it.

Ironically perhaps, but Mason Mike Foster having undergone significant weight loss, probably made him better cut for the Sam mold. Leaving himself virtually, positionless. A tweener.  A hybrid...  a Sike.

Hes a mental tweener. 😂

If his release was timed as payback for his remarks, I don't support it no matter what Foster said. Successful organizations don't spend time making plans to "stick it to" employees they don't like. That would be petty and juvenile.

If the timing was purely for football reasons, so be it. We don't owe him anything.

1 minute ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If his release was timed as payback for his remarks, I don't support it no matter what Foster said. That's not how you run a successful business. If the timing was purely for football reasons, so be it.

To be fair, it was probably more football related but he earned it with his behavior.  I respect your opinion about how to run a business but if one of my employees did something similar and they were important to my business, then I may not react right away but I would actively seek to replace them and I would do so on MY terms, Not theirs.  In no way do I agree with everything our FO does but in my opinion they were spot on with this.  Again, I do respect your opinion. 

13 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

To be fair, it was probably more football related but he earned it with his behavior.  I respect your opinion about how to run a business but if one of my employees did something similar and they were important to my business, then I may not react right away but I would actively seek to replace them and I would do so on MY terms, Not theirs.  In no way do I agree with everything our FO does but in my opinion they were spot on with this.  Again, I do respect your opinion. 

Maybe I should have said "if his release was timed SOLELY as payback then I wouldn't support it". Everything else you said falls in the "football related" category and I agree.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Yeah after losing weight he is kind of in no mans land. Teams bring him in needing a Mike, ask him to weigh in, and then tell him, um we aren't looking for a Sam. They have no game tape of him at this new found weight.

I wonder what his 40 is before and after his crash diet.

Maybe get back to eating, Mason. Quickly.

Except, he's not getting brought in not knowing he's lost weight.  It's public knowledge at this point. 

I think his game wouldnt change much, in the sense his mentality and skill set would still probably be a Mike no matter what.  

You can be a Mike these days at 235-240 if we're just talking weight.  Guys like Kuechly and Roquan Smith are in that neighborhood, for instance.  

30 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Except, he's not getting brought in not knowing he's lost weight.  It's public knowledge at this point. 

I think his game wouldnt change much, in the sense his mentality and skill set would still probably be a Mike no matter what.  

You can be a Mike these days at 235-240 if we're just talking weight.  Guys like Kuechly and Roquan Smith are in that neighborhood, for instance.  

Good point. But there is still an unknown if he can fight off guards at.... wait, what was his normal playing weight?

I cannot believe the 5 different weights I just found on 5 different sites. Should I take the average?  They should give the date of the weight. 

Check this out.
We just got even younger on Defense, with the release of the "elder" Foster.

Norman is the oldest wiley veteran at 31.

Our average age of projected Defensive starters is now 25.45. (does not include nickel or slot corners, as they are not considered starters, and they probably wouldn't change figure much, anyway). Some may disagree on some starters, like Nicholson, but that's ok.

That bodes well for 3 things : speed, the future, and contracts.

This has to be one of the youngest defenses in the league. And talent to go with it.

Allen 24
Payne 22
Ioan 25
Kerrigan 30
SDH 23
Bostic 28
Sweat 22
Norman 31
Dunbar 27
Nicholson 23
Collins 25

Avg age of Def starters : 25.45

11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

cannot believe the 5 different weights I just found on 5 different sites. Should I take the average?  They should give the date of the weight

You went to 5 different sites to get a weight on a player who's not even a Redskin anymore?

Damn, now that's why they call it extremeskins!

It appears to me that they made the decision weeks/months ago that he was gone and they did not want him back in the locker room.  After trying all other known means to get him off the roster (shocking no one would give up anything for a relatively non athletic (compared to peers) 2 down ILB), they had to cut him to keep him away.  Image isn't great, but I agree it's what needed to happen.

My take on Bostic is that he is basically a more atletic and less expensive version of Foster.  Good motor, good tackler and his speed give him a slightly higher probability to be a 3 down ILB.  

I do do like the youth movement.

21 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Such a weird move. Might this be something where he was asking for some kind of a raise and they cut him before training camp? I'll be interested to see what he says after he signs with another team. 

I saw Mason's response online and he was taking it very well.

Not nearly as fiery as his agent.

On July 24, 2019 at 12:51 AM, ConnSKINS26 said:

It doesn't matter if you think he deserved it, this is not a good look to other players or other agents (or hell the same agent if he has other clients with us). Setting aside the moral argument of whether you should sink to someone else's level (especially in business), just looking at it from a practical POV there was no reason for it that was worth the negative PR trickling through the NFL agent grapevine now. We've got enough of that. 

I think the agent also represents Jonathan Allen. 

5 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I don’t see what the problem is. Look around the league, lots of players got cut right before training camp. I don’t think it’s about what he said or anything other than he’s a an average to below average ILB. 

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing. People are acting like he was the only one that got cut. This is 100%  down to the way the franchise is viewed. Its laughable that his sorry ass is being turned into a victim.

16 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I wonder if any thought has been given to moving Anderson to the inside at all? With the addition of Sweat he isnt going to see a whole lot of time at OLB this year.

I see the Anderson move to MLB mention here and there but I don't think he has the speed to play MLB.  If we thought Foster is slow, Anderson is even slower judging by combine numbers.  He also is slow when it comes to the agility measures -- 3 cone, stop and go stuff.  So I think athletically he's better suited to play on the edge where he is at or maybe strong-outside LB in a 4-3. 

Archived