Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

This is the older more boring version of rap albums back in the day getting criticized by public officials.  Free publicity.  

that gave me visions of---tipper gore was it?---wanting to label 'rock' albums back in the day

was it tipper?

The Republicans are just playing to their radio listener base with the attacks on the media, it plays well to the 30% of the country that eat it up.  These people have been conditioned their entire lives that "evil liberal media" is out to get them, so the GOP has gone from soft-validation of that thought, to now just out-right repeating it. When a cretin like Trump is in charge, it rubs off on his minions. 

Ah. Public interest. Best interest of the country thing. A rabbit hole I'm sure many a politician over the years has fallen in to and am sure many now,(especially the GOP ones),use to rationalize their "modern" behavior. 

So, the question I have is this. If Trump has declared that the facts of the Bolton book are false thus declaring it work of fiction how can Trump classify it? By seeking to classify it isn't he stating that there are truths in that book that are vital national interest that must not be shared?

27 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I think I'd agree with that.  

If POTUS, for example, negotiates a trade deal that he thinks will be so good for the country, it will guarantee his reelection, there's nothing wrong with that.  

Of course, trying to apply that to the situation being discussed is simply a variation of the old "The President can negotiate a deal that benefits the country, therefore he can negotiate a deal that benefits him personally" lie.  

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So, the question I have is this. If Trump has declared that the facts of the Bolton book are false thus declaring it work of fiction how can Trump classify it? By seeking to classify it isn't he stating that there are truths in that book that are vital national interest that must not be shared?

Good point. Plus, how much of the so-called classified material was classified retroactively?

Think I've got a question for Derschowitz:  

Sir, I believe you've made the expert legal argument that soliciting a foreign government into providing election assistance is completely legal, because the President believes getting reelected is in the public's interest.  

Wouldn't that argument assert that, if Donald Trump had chosen to shake down the Ukrainian President into making an anonymous cash contribution to the President's reelection campaign is completely unimpeachable?  

White House counsel trying to push the "mixed motive" argument as far as personal & public.  The flaw in that argument, which I hope the Dems bring up is that if there was a legitimate public interest, then why did Trump not going to his national security team, the FBI, the CIA etc etc.....why instead did he create an off the record team of goons to go shake down the Ukraine gov't?   They have never once answered to that.

Archived