Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

So, with the offseason moves so far, and us down a 5th round pick, what positions then do we think we will be drafting?  I think Chase young is a given in the 1st.  After that we have 3 picks in rounds 3-4 and I think they will be most needed for:

WR

TE

OL

TE, WR, LB

we did get a 5th for Dunbar too.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

TE, WR, LB

we did get a 5th for Dunbar too.

Fans want the Skins to address positions of need.  But, the coaches are going to want BPA because they know it will take a couple of years to get the roster into the types of players that they want.  I hope the Skins do not trade down from their first 3rd round pick - it would be nice to get more picks but if there is a 2nd round graded player still available then go for quality IMO.  

15 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Fans want the Skins to address positions of need.  But, the coaches are going to want BPA because they know it will take a couple of years to get the roster into the types of players that they want.  I hope the Skins do not trade down from their first 3rd round pick - it would be nice to get more picks but if there is a 2nd round graded player still available then go for quality IMO.  

Part of the reason for the FA strategy so far (even if I think we could have landed some "better" pieces) that I am behind is that they are closing GLARING holes.

This is me talking through this, not aimed towards you: Dunbar was likely gone after this year. Paying corners is a dangerous proposition as their play ebbs and flows with the team from year to year. Obviously, some guys are different, but most corners aren't going to consistently be great for long stretches. They fall off a little. Dunbar if he gets hurt is useless to us, and if he plays all season he's going to want a giant deal. That corner spot was a glaring hole even with him in it.

Darby is a flier, Fuller can play slot, Moreau is an adequate but not great second corner. Moreland/Johnson/Stroman are developmental prospects, but Moreland can play a dime corner role easy, or the slot if they throw Fuller to safety situationally.

Linebacker we filled with KPL/Thomas Davis.

Free safety we sent Nicholson packing and added Sean Davis with Apke. Reaves was a decent prospect coming out. Landon Collins. Everett. Defensive line we brought back Orchard and some interior help. We've brought in a few offensive linemen to fill depth holes. Depth quarterback in Allen. Running backs in Barber and McKissick. Receiver is pretty stacked as far as depth.

We have plugged holes where we had no one playing.

Why do that?

So we can go BPA in the draft (obviously with a little bit of positional/need weighting, but that's more of a tie breaker, so it'll still basically be BPA).

The strategy is extremely sound.

Implementation can be debated on the targets we've acquired. But the strategy is sound. IMO, of course.

I've let my thoughts on Tua be known.

But I till hold out hope of Miami trading 5, 18, and 39 to us

RD 1: Simmons     

RD 1: Chaisson

RD 2: Duggar/Delpit

RD 3: Bryan Edwards

I walk away from the draft extremely comfortable that I did not draft Young, If our top 4 picks looked like that

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

I've let my thoughts on Tua be known.

But I till hold out hope of Miami trading 5, 18, and 39 to us

RD 1: Simmons     

RD 1: Chaisson

RD 2: Duggar/Delpit

RD 3: Bryan Edwards

I walk away from the draft extremely comfortable that I did not draft Young, If our top 4 picks looked like that

Chaisson was never very productive in college. give me Simmons and Jeudy or Andrew Thomas somehow and I’d consider it. What I’d really be after is 5, 18 and next year’s 1st. That’s the package that would get me to bite. 

7 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Chaisson was never very productive in college. give me Simmons and Jeudy or Andrew Thomas somehow and I’d consider it. What I’d really be after is 5, 18 and next year’s 1st. That’s the package that would get me to bite. 

I agree, give me Miami's 2021 #1 with this years, #5, another 1st and a 3rd plus next years #1 and I do it. 

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

Stuff like this is why I am so back and forth on Jeudy/Lamb. Jeudy is so advanced with his routes its amazing.

Lamb has an extra gear and has a ridiculous amount of shiftiness.

Jeudy gives me wood. I'd mortgage the farm to land Chase Young and Jerry Jeudy. Like, literally. I would get a mortgage on my family farm. 

This draft is soooo good. Chase Young, Jeudy, Okudah, Simmons are all such studs compared to a normal year. Love Wirfs and the 1st round tackles in general. The WR depth. Such a good year. 

7 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So, with the offseason moves so far, and us down a 5th round pick, what positions then do we think we will be drafting?  I think Chase young is a given in the 1st.  After that we have 3 picks in rounds 3-4 and I think they will be most needed for:

WR

TE

OL

I think you're spot on. You can't ever really predict who will be available in the later rounds and no team should be locked in to specific positions in the draft. But given the current make up of the roster, the needs basically go like this:

(1) WR - huge need, both in terms of depth and starter quality players

(2) TE - ditto to the above, though you only really need one really good player to radically shift this position into a strength

(3) OL - There are questions all over the line. Maybe Martin steps up, but maybe not. Moses is passable, but a position many would like to improve on for a while now. Roullier will be a free agent after the year, as might Scherff. And LT is just a huge question mark.

beyond those three positions, there's always needs for some live bodies at:

(4) CB - Some interesting players here. Best case scenario is that Moreau steps up and Darby bounces back post injury. Combined with Fuller and Moreland, that could give the team 4 solid corners. But that's really a best case scenario, both in terms of health and production. And Moreau and Darby aren't signed past 2020 at this point. Not to mention there's little star power here. And beyond the 4 I just mentioned, there's not a whole lot to count on.

(5) S - Collins is very good and I know the hope is that Davis can be a starter next to him. Deshazor Everett always seems no more than a depth/teams guy. Maybe Apke takes a step forward as well? But there's not much depth here either and a bunch of questions beyond Collins.

Them there's the wild card:

(6) DL - odds are the team takes Chase Young in the first, giving it 4 first rounders in 4 years (Allen, Payne. Sweat, and Young) to pair with a pro-Bowl alternate (Ioannidis) and possibly a former Pro Bowler in Kerrigan (if he's not cut). If Young is the choice, there's no real need to add anything more here

And then there's a few positions that seem to be nothing more than late round flyer territory:

(7) LB - no real big names here, but lots of guys with at least some talent. So much so that any draft pick would like face an uphill battle to make the roster. Hard to see the team investing significantly here with so many bodies already around.

(8) RB - the team signed Peyton Barber and gave him at least $600,000 guaranteed. And I'm not sure he makes the team. Any rookie would seem to be behind at least 5 guys on the depth chart to start.

(9) QB - There's little depth or veteran presence here (unless you count Alex Smith). But non-first round picks rarely become bona fide starters. And they just traded a draft pick for Allen, who's very young and under team control for several years. That makes developing a back-up a very low priority. The team has the roster slots to carry a third QB is it wanted. But it's not really a priority and seems unlikely to be a draft pick outside a late round flyer on a guy if they really love him.

With 3 picks in the 3rd/4th rounds, I'd be shocked if two of them weren't from the top 3 positions I listed.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Geno Smith for 2013. How sobering.

Sometimes the best QB pick is no QB pick. Interesting how many were #1 overall picks (4), even though Bradford and Winston didn't really pan out for what they cost. But at least better than the rest. Really too early to tell on Kyler Murray and we'll see if Baker Mayfield can make-up any ground on Lamar Jackson. After 2018, Mayfield would clearly have won that ranking. Look how much difference a year can make. Luck arguably could have "won" 2012 too, had he not retired. But Wilson has been strong is his own right. 2012 was a good QB draft, but 2013-2015 was basically a three stretch of bad crap - Derek Carr is sort of okay and Winston is now available to anyone and no one is biting. And that's the best of the lot.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’m starting to doubt we are going to have an NFL season. I wonder what the ramifications will be for the 2021 draft. If it means we pick #2, it only makes me want to draft Chase more. Then go that LT at 2 next year. 

Penei Sewell ?

Maybe. 

But, I really don’t think we skip the NFL season. I could see a modified season. Starts later, goes longer. But I just don’t see it happening. 

If we have some sort of modified season I'd like to draft Tua even more, especially considering he would get extra rest and time to recover and strengthen his body. My dream scenario is for us to draft Tua this year and Gregory Rousseau from Miami next year (We will most likely be a bottom 5 team next year but not bad enough to draft Trevor Lawrence). He might not be as dominant as Chase Young, but he's pretty damn good. 15.5 sacks for a redshirt freshman is pretty eye-popping. I know I'll catch a lot of flak for this post but Tua to me is a franchise changer and a guy you want leading your team. I don't think you can pass on that, especially because Haskins is an uncertainty and proved to have a lot of question marks last year. 

I think one maybe slightly overlooked angle is manipulating the draft to mesh BPA and need.  I think this comes in 2 forms (not including trading up, which I doubt we do).    
1) trading back when faced with BPAs that don’t match your needs - for us, that might be DE/DT//SS/RB, for example.  

2) taking a slightly lesser prospect due to the shape/depth of the draft.  For example, say we traded back to the 8th pick and Lamb or Jeudy is our BPA, but we choose an OT knowing the tackle group is weaker later on while the receiver depth is quite good.  

Anyway, with this in mind, I wonder which areas/rounds best match up to our needs (talking possible ability to earn a starting job in the short term, not so much ‘projects’)?  Where are the likely sweet spots?  

Off the top of my head (and very roughly speaking), I’d guess...

OT:  1st-mid 2nd

TE:  late 2nd-5th.  I think there are interesting prospects that might be available even later (Woerner, Sullivan, Keene, Breeland, etc)

Corner:  1st-4th or 5th
Receiver:  1st or late 2nd-5th?  This one is especially tricky.  Most of the guys that meet analytics thresholds are likely gone in this range, but there will still be some very talented players available later.

IOL:  late 1st-4th?

FS:  late 1st-?

LB:  mid 1st (aside from Simmons)-3rd?

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

This draft is soooo good.

and we get the consensus #1 player. It's awesome.

11 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Fans want the Skins to address positions of need.  But, the coaches are going to want BPA

We're filling in all the holes in FA, but without reaching or trying to overpay superstars, so we can go BPA in the draft. It's pretty great to see and should keep our cap situation pretty good for a long time.

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

OT:  1st-mid 2nd

TE:  late 2nd-5th.  I think there are interesting prospects that might be available even later (Woerner, Sullivan, Keene, Breeland, etc)

Corner:  1st-4th or 5th
Receiver:  1st or late 2nd-5th?  This one is especially tricky.  Most of the guys that meet analytics thresholds are likely gone in this range, but there will still be some very talented players available later.

IOL:  late 1st-4th?

FS:  late 1st-?

LB:  mid 1st (aside from Simmons)-3rd?

Thoughts?

Sounds about right. FS I think 1st-4th.  I think safety is sneaky good in this draft.  I'd put money they trade down in the third.  But if they stay put I think it's OT or WR or TE.  I think there is a shot a touted OT slips to the early 3rd though I doubt it. 

If they are supposedly hot for a WR and TE (as some say) we can likely bet on 2 of the three picks in the 3rd-4th are going to those spots.   They've used FA to shore up defense.  And supposedly they are still hot to upgrade the passing weapons for Haskins.  So as some speculate, this might be an offense heavy draft for them. 

9 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’m starting to doubt we are going to have an NFL season. I wonder what the ramifications will be for the 2021 draft. If it means we pick #2, it only makes me want to draft Chase more. Then go that LT at 2 next year. 

I think we will have an NFL season....at some point soon we will get back to normalcy with check points on this virus. Maybe the season doesn't start on time but it will start up at some point!!!

It's still only March, we will get a handle on this soon.

10 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think we would move up to #1 fornnext years draft. So Young and Lawrence:)

@Skinsinparadise I would think it would have to be a haul ... and not simply trading 2 to the Lions or Giants to move up for Chase. It would have to be for a QB.

Simmons should be there at 5. Unless the Giants go Simmons at 4. But if we traded to 5 we are guaranteed one of Chase, Simmons or Okudah ... or the top OT

But TBH my top trade down scenario would be a double trade down. #2 to Miami for #5, #18 and #39 ... #5 to ax for #9 and #42 so they can take either Simmons, Okudah or Herbert.

Pick #9, #18, #39, #42

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a trade down guy but wouldn't hate it if they got a huge haul and if they did I'd want Okudah or Simmons.  I take Laconfora seriously, he was the first dude I recall who said he heard Dan was in love with Haskins before the draft

I've been seeing Giants chatter that they may forgo a Tackle for Simmons.  I guess regardless if it's Miami we'd still get Okudah or one of the elite tackles.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/nfl_scouts_expect_giants_to_draft_clemson_lb_isaiah_simmons/s1_12680_31658450

REPORT: NFL SCOUTS EXPECT GIANTS TO DRAFT ISAIAH SIMMONS

We’d deserve to remain in the basement of this division if we trade back, the Lions take Okudah and the Giants take Young. 

It’s definitely possible as both Belichick and Patricia have always relied on a #1 CB as the cornerstone of their defense over a great pass rusher. And they just traded away Slay. 

I’d honestly be laughing on draft night if that happened. 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I’d honestly be laughing on draft night if that happened. 

Or the Lions take Okudah and the Giants take Simmons and Chase falls to us at #5 :)

Honestly I think Lions take Chase at 3 and dont think twice about it ...

Look, Chase is by all accounts and all-world talent. But Leonard Williams was the #1/#2 player on a lot of big boards back in 2015  and he fell to 6th. Some of that was injury concerns though. But there are some stupid GMs out there and fortunately the Lions and Giants are near the top of the list as far as bad GMs go.

Archived