Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Are we sure he's not better than Ashtyn Davis?

I like him but the knock on him is speed.  He's a much smarter player than Davis and he plays clean while making hard contact and he turns the ball over from the safety position.  But Davis is way faster and more athletic than him.  Hawkins is going to get drafted late because he's a low percentile athlete for his position and he has a really common skill set.  But he's one of those "football player" types who is more than the sum of his parts and he could outplay his draft slot.  I've kind of been sitting on him with my seventh round picks in my mock drafts.  Him and Lavert Hill of Michigan are fliers I like for us in that end of the draft range.  I like Josh Nurse from Utah too, but I don't even see him in top 500 boards so he'd be a priority UDFA candidate for me.

I think Hawkins has a chance to hang onto an NFL job but he's really going to need to play well on special teams to get a team to buy into him.

6 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

A CB/DB will never be an anchor on a defense. im sorry. That's just simply not football.

CB/DB will look better or worse depending on the trenches. That's football.

It's a two-way street.  You can have a great pass rush that will never get home if your DBs can't cover off the line of scrimmage.  It was undoubtedly the case that the Ohio State DLs and blitzers benefited from the ridiculously good secondary play of Wade, Okudah, Fuller, and Arnette.  There were times when Ohio State's opponents couldn't even complete a slant because the receivers couldn't get off the line of scrimmage.

You also need playmakers in the secondary to finish plays if you're front is setting the table.

And a secondary can absolutely be an anchor for the defense.  Great coverage units made guys like Kyle Van Noy and Preston and Zadarius Smith look like stars last season.  An edge rusher gets to eat when he knows the QB can't get the ball out on time, or when they have to shift protections away from you to deal with blitzers.

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure why this would be all that surprising. Herbert is a really good prospect and Tua has an injury history and is coming off of a really bad season ending one. Those injury concerns are bound to knock Tua down on some teams' boards. If they were both healthy and Tua didn't have his injury history he'd absolutely be ahead. But he isn't healthy and he does have the injury history. I'm not a huge Herbert fan, but there's no doubting there's plenty of talent there. 

And I have some more names of guys that’ll be hurt by the lack of pro days and 30 visits too that crossed my desk past deadline. Highly-regarded defensive linemen Javon Kinlaw (South Carolina), Yatur Gross-Matos (Penn State) and Justin Madubuike (Texas A&M) all have issues teams want to reconcile, and haven’t been able to. Questions have hovered on Colorado WR Laviska Shenault’s speed, and he didn’t run at the combine, so now he won’t be able to get a verified time out there for teams. And with Missouri TE Albert Okwuegbunam, who posted a 4.49 in the 40 in Indy, there’s a disconnect between his potential and production that teams wanted answers on. Some of that can be answered for over FaceTime, but not all of it, and solid private workouts with teams sure would’ve helped his cause.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/30/wild-card-weekend-tripleheaders-draft-prospects?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com

My surprise scenario involving 3 teams:

redskins and lions swap their 3 for our 2 plus their second round pick.

detroit trades the #2 pick to miami for a boat load of picks

miami ends up with Tua, we pick next and get chase.  Giants will take an o-line man and detroit stil gets okuda 

21 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Is Shenault likely to drop due to his injury? I think if we trade out of #2 we’d be taking him with one of the picks we acquire. No chance he drops to #66 right?

He may. So many risers from Chase to Mims and a surplus of tier 2-3 guys like Hill, Hamler etc in the third means Shenault could be the forgotten man.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Is Shenault likely to drop due to his injury? I think if we trade out of #2 we’d be taking him with one of the picks we acquire. No chance he drops to #66 right?

I think he could drop that far.  Injury issues have dogged him, not just at the combine.  He is supposedly some athletic freak but he didn't show that at all in the combine -- though his camp blames that on the injury.

I am not a big Shenault guy as a receiver, I think he's raw and there are plenty of receivers better than him in this draft.  But if they are in love with him because of Scott Turner's love of putting the ball in receivers hands with sweeps, end arounds, handoffs, etc -- I'd get it and be cool with it.  

"Tua is fully cleared and ready to compete without any restrictions," Cabott told Eric Edholm of Yahoo Sports.

Tagovailoa passed the fourth medical checkup on his surgically repaired hip earlier this month and posted a video last week looking smooth in his movements.

Tua's doctor, Dr. Lyle Cain, said the quarterback's recovery nearly five months after surgery is significant.

"I am extremely pleased," Cain told Edholm. "If you told me four, almost five, months ago now that he'd be where he is now, I think I would have been very happy. I think he's done extremely well for where he started out."

Everything we've heard and seen thus far related to Tua's recovery has been positive. The unique draft situation unfolding this year due to the COVID-19 shutdowns and cancellation of pro-day workouts hinders the ability for the quarterback to answer every question teams might have about his recovery.

The 'Bama signal-caller was scheduled to have a workout for teams on April 9, which was canceled. Cabott told Edholm his agency is fielding specific requests from teams but wouldn't get into particulars as to whether clubs are seeking workout videos of drills. He noted that his agency is willing to listen to whatever teams are requesting.

With post-combine medical rechecks up in the air, Cain said one option could be for Tagovailoa to undergo another round of imaging in mid-April, which would be sent to all 32 NFL teams.

Given all the positivity surrounding Tagovailoa's recovery, the QB's draft floor likely sits in the top 5. Whether a team like the Dolphins or Chargers is prepared to make a move up the draft board to ensure they get a player who could have been in play for the No. 1 overall slot if the injury never occurred remains to be seen.

7 hours ago, ultravin said:

My surprise scenario involving 3 teams:

redskins and lions swap their 3 for our 2 plus their second round pick.

detroit trades the #2 pick to miami for a boat load of picks

miami ends up with Tua, we pick next and get chase.  Giants will take an o-line man and detroit stil gets okuda 

Wow that's genius. What a surprise! How come nobody has ever thought of that before?

Giants must make NFL Draft all about protecting Daniel Jones

Now, if I knew for certain that Simmons was the Next Lawrence Taylor, I would sign up for Simmons in a heartbeat. Of course, if the Bengals knew that, they might pass on Joe Burrow, and if the Redskins knew that, Ron Rivera would pass on Chase Young.

We have learned over the years, since LT retired following the 1993 season, that there is no Next Lawrence Taylor.

So this isn’t about Isaiah Simmons as much as it is about Daniel Jones. And to a lesser degree, Barkley.

Years of neglect building an offensive line did our beloved Eli Manning no favors when there was no escape from Father Time intercepting him.

New coach Joe Judge knows Tom Brady wasn’t any less of a statue than Manning was, and was an eyewitness to the way Bill Belichick built a Five Blocks of Granite wall in front of his GOAT quarterback more often than not.

It is incumbent upon Judge and Gettleman to build that wall for their young franchise quarterback.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/29/giants-must-make-nfl-draft-all-about-protecting-daniel-jones/

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

I find it refreshing that teams are going to pick guys based on film, to be honest.

Guys like Cooley who are film junkies also though like to say interviews are huge because you want to scope out these guys personalities and gauge whether they really love the game.  He'd say in the locker room it was clear to him who loves football and who doesn't and often that makes or breaks some careers and shortens and lengthens some. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Guys like Cooley who are film junkies also though like to say interviews are huge because you want to scope out these guys personalities and gauge whether they really love the game.  He'd say in the locker room it was clear to him who loves football and who doesn't and often that makes or breaks some careers and shortens and lengthens some. 

I'm confused why teams can't interview guys, though.

I've seen this narrative passed about a few times and each time I'm kind of... confused... by it.

We live in a technologically advanced day and age. Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, Duo, etc., are all things. You can contact former coaches, teammates and the player themselves in a conference call/setting and interview.

I wholeheartedly agree that the interviews matter as much as the film does. My point was more along the lines of the Shorts Olympics don't matter as much as many seem to think they do (though, they do have some value, to be fair)

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm confused why teams can't interview guys, though.

I've seen this narrative passed about a few times and each time I'm kind of... confused... by it.

We live in a technologically advanced day and age. Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, Duo, etc., are all things. You can contact former coaches, teammates and the player themselves in a conference call/setting and interview.

I wholeheartedly agree that the interviews matter as much as the film does. My point was more along the lines of the Shorts Olympics don't matter as much as many seem to think they do (though, they do have some value, to be fair)

I would say the only hold up is having the players in for a private workout, which i suppose, could also be done over live video and finding a doctor that the team trusts to examine the player.

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

I haven’t looked at his speed stuff yet. He has impressive tape.

He's a true ballhawk with strong coverage instincts in zone.  He played underneath, deep half, and single deep for Cal and looked fairly comfortable in each role.  I don't see a lot of bad steps in his coverages, I think he's a heads up player who has quiet feet and does a pretty good job key reading, and his ball skills are excellent and natural.

I think he's kind of a conservative player though, and I think he might get caught between positions in the NFL.  He picks his battles and I don't think he's a great run defender.  He doesn't have a lot of hand-skill and he takes on blocks head-on and gets washed a lot.  He is not particularly good at avoiding them and he definitely doesn't play through blockers like the real studs do.  He doesn't have that blood lust that a true NFL box safety needs--that desire to set the tone and that special gear to make plays around and behind the line of scrimmage.  Looking at the team dynamic at Cal, Evan Weaver was that dude.  Hawkins makes the plays in area but virtually nothing outside of it, whereas Weaver was the warrior elite who was always on the ball and leading the way for the other guys.

Hawkins is a ball-hawking deep middle and deep half safety in temperament and playing style IMO.  But the concerns about his speed are going to make teams want to play him underneath and necessarily give him a big run role.  That's why I think he might get caught between positions.

Watching Weaver and Hawkins and Davis again, I find myself going against the emerging consensus on Ashtyn Davis.  I just don't really love him.  The effort is fine and the athleticism is outstanding, but I think his film is pretty mediocre.  He's not instinctive, his functional strength is ordinary, and it looks to me like Weaver and Hawkins are much smarter players than him.  I think he's basically a speedy project and I can't get on board with the day one and early day two projections.  I actually liked Troy Apke's film a little more than his.

6 hours ago, nonniey said:

What??? They're not going to use it to pick a player?  If that is the case I opt for the trade (And then actually use whatever picks we get). 

The picks diminish substantially in value once you drive off the lot.  Hoard them and they are like gold, precious gems, toilet paper, etc  

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's a true ballhawk with strong coverage instincts in zone.  He played underneath, deep half, and single deep for Cal and looked fairly comfortable in each role.  I don't see a lot of bad steps in his coverages, I think he's a heads up player who has quiet feet and does a pretty good job key reading, and his ball skills are excellent and natural.

I think he's kind of a conservative player though, and I think he might get caught between positions in the NFL.  He picks his battles and I don't think he's a great run defender.  He doesn't have a lot of hand-skill and he takes on blocks head-on and gets washed a lot.  He is not particularly good at avoiding them and he definitely doesn't play through blockers like the real studs do.  He doesn't have that blood lust that a true NFL box safety needs--that desire to set the tone and that special gear to make plays around and behind the line of scrimmage.  Looking at the team dynamic at Cal, Evan Weaver was that dude.  Hawkins makes the plays in area but virtually nothing outside of it, whereas Weaver was the warrior elite who was always on the ball and leading the way for the other guys.

Hawkins is a ball-hawking deep middle and deep half safety in temperament and playing style IMO.  But the concerns about his speed are going to make teams want to play him underneath and necessarily give him a big run role.  That's why I think he might get caught between positions.

Watching Weaver and Hawkins and Davis again, I find myself going against the emerging consensus on Ashtyn Davis.  I just don't really love him.  The effort is fine and the athleticism is outstanding, but I think his film is pretty mediocre.  He's not instinctive, his functional strength is ordinary, and it looks to me like Weaver and Hawkins are much smarter players than him.  I think he's basically a speedy project and I can't get on board with the day one and early day two projections.  I actually liked Troy Apke's film a little more than his.

I think Ashtyn has the intangibles that you want to see, and that’s why his film can pop at times. But watching his game to game film, I think Hawkins flashes more regularly and is involved far more often.

Davis is just a better athlete as far as testing numbers go.

I think Hawkins is a dude, man.

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

He may. So many risers from Chase to Mims and a surplus of tier 2-3 guys like Hill, Hamler etc in the third means Shenault could be the forgotten man.

I saw one mock where Tee Higgins falls into the middle of the 2nd round....some of these WR's are bound to drop far. RB's too.....

Archived