Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

20 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

I agree with this and I personally would love the Chargers to be our trade partner.According to Ron we are in win now mode so I believe we would want proven player and a pick.I would take Bosa and a first from them or I would stay at two and pick Chase.

Really he said we are in a win now mode?  That is extremely worrisome. 

13 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Really he said we are in a win now mode?  That is extremely worrisome. 

I believe he said we aren’t in ‘re-building’ mode, but I could be wrong.  There’s a fine line between the two (or maybe more of a gray area, I don’t know).  

The good news is that we have a capable coach that should be in it for the long haul, so I see it as middle ground - not trading away assets reflexively or spending all our cap on FAs (not able to afford re-signing our own down the line), but also not ignoring future stability for the present.  That’s my hope anyway.

The benefit of drafting Young is that Skins can also get out of the Kerrigan contract and get a pick back. Lets be honest here, at 31 he is not getting any better going forward but is still considered an above average DE/ OLB that Skins could get a pick back for before he truly drops off. 12m in savings can be used on a good corner instead

This was a trade the Jets made in 2018 moving from #6 to #3. I seem to recall that being criticised at the time from a Colts perspective for selling out too easily. I guess the difference being the Colts we happy to go back as they wanted OL, we have to assess how much Young is really worth. Seems like most think hes a can't miss prospect that you simply can't pass on.

Jets move up seeking potential franchise QB

Jets receive: 
» 2018 first-round pick (No. 3) -- Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Colts receive: 
» 2018 first-round pick (No. 6) -- Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame 
» 2018 second-round pick (No. 37) -- Braden Smith, G, Auburn 
» 2018 second-round pick (No. 49) -- traded to Philadelphia 
» 2019 second-round pick 

Just saying, on paper (which for us hasn't transfered to real life), it wouldn't take much for the defense to make a leap in 2020.

-Del Rio has coached defenses that have made monstrous leaps in just 1 year.

-Edge upgrade with Chase Young.

-ILB upgrade with Reuben Foster over Jon Bostic.

-Good year to need a corner in Free Agency.

-Good year to get a replacement for Nicholson in Free Agency.

Theoretically, we have the cap room to be big players in free agency, and given the depth of the corner and safety class.  It's doable without getting into a bidding war.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

This was a trade the Jets made in 2018 moving from #6 to #3. I seem to recall that being criticised at the time from a Colts perspective for selling out too easily. I guess the difference being the Colts we happy to go back as they wanted OL, we have to assess how much Young is really worth. Seems like most think hes a can't miss prospect that you simply can't pass on.

Jets move up seeking potential franchise QB

Jets receive: 
» 2018 first-round pick (No. 3) -- Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Colts receive: 
» 2018 first-round pick (No. 6) -- Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame 
» 2018 second-round pick (No. 37) -- Braden Smith, G, Auburn 
» 2018 second-round pick (No. 49) -- traded to Philadelphia 
» 2019 second-round pick 

Colts needs and the draft board happened to marry together well though.  They wanted Nelson no matter what, and felt confident he was going to be there regardless.

Browns picked 4th and had just given two massive contracts to LG Bitonio and RG Zeitler, they weren't going to draft Nelson.

Broncos picked 5th and likely weren't going to take a Guard, they just shelled out money in free agency for Ronald Leary.

From the Colts perspective, they knew who they wanted, and they felt there was no risk in trading down as he'd still be on the board.

The difference is, the 2018 draft did not have a prospect available at #3 with the talent that Chase Young has.  If we trade back, we know for sure that Young won't be there.  The next team would immediately pick him.

The quote below is from the Del Rio defensive philosophy thread. I think the safest bet is that we wind up with Chase Young, whether that is what what everyone here prefers, or not. Given that likelihood, the defense described below definitely suits our personnel strength on the DL and is also well suited for a modern, pass first NFL. 

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

Both Rivera and now Del Rio have talked about ‘keeping things in front of us on the back end’ and ‘not giving up the shot plays’. That sounds like more of a zone approach than man. Also been talk about ‘penetrating front’ and ‘tackling the running back on the way to the QB’. That sounds like 1 gap.

There will be some mixture - no one just plays one thing. But a 1 gap front, with the rush mainly coming from the down 4 + maybe 1 and zone behind that sounds like what we should expect.

I don't however think we currently have the personnel in the back 7 to run this scheme. If we are one gapping, we are going to need a classic stack and shed thumper at Mike, and this guy is going to need to be able to work through trash and get off blocks. I think our current roster has 3 WILL's, SDH, Cole, and Foster, maybe 2 suboptimal SAM's, Ryan Anderson and Jordan Brailford, and no adequate MIKE. We probably need 2 new starting LB's, in an ideal world. 

At DB, if we are going to run more zone and play pressure up front, I would assume we are going to want some bigger corners that excel in zone. We probably also want some guys that can press. We need to be drafting more size and length and instincts and hands, I think. A ball hawking, center field type FS could also help. 

Two other areas I think we need to focus on are grabbing durable players. I think most of us can get behind that. We also need to be drafting physical guys that are sure tacklers. I've seen enough of Barkley running roughshod through the secondary. I'm tired of being a poor fundamental team that doesn't tackle well. Ne need to be drafting CB's and safeties that can also be productive in run support. 

12 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Lying season has already begun I see.

Not necessarily. IF the lions thought Tua was a franchise guy, and IF he is 100% go, it would kinda make sense to get their next gen QB now, without giving up a buttload in a few years to do it, they're already there, stafford has been playing for 10 years already, maybe they jettison that contract next year and get younger and cheaper.

They'd be dumb to not give it some serious thought and explore all options, both this year and beyond. I'm sure they have thought about it plenty already tbh.

11 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Not necessarily. IF the lions thought Tua was a franchise guy, and IF he is 100% go, it would kinda make sense to get their next gen QB now, without giving up a buttload in a few years to do it, they're already there, stafford has been playing for 10 years already, maybe they jettison that contract next year and get younger and cheaper.

They'd be dumb to not give it some serious thought and explore all options, both this year and beyond. I'm sure they have thought about it plenty already tbh.

Their coach and GM are both on probably the two hottest seats in the league.  A lot of CAR fans were surprised they were being given another year.  I don't think there's any way they pass up an impact player now for a QBOTF.

Also, Stafford just signed a 5-year extension.  He's not a FA until 2023.  There's a $25 million dead cap if they release him this year, and it's $14 million next year.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Their coach and GM are both on probably the two hottest seats in the league.  A lot of CAR fans were surprised they were being given another year.  I don't think there's any way they pass up an impact player now for a QBOTF.

Also, Stafford just signed a 5-year extension.  He's not a FA until 2023.  There's a $25 million dead cap if they release him this year, and it's $14 million next year.

I read that they can get out of that contract for $10 mil DC next year. It wouldn't hurt to have Tua sitting on the bench for a year ala Mahomes.

I'm just saying, they've never won a division crown with Stafford, never won a playoff game, and have had winning records in only 4 of his 10 seasons.

He's a good qb, but they can lose just as good with him as without him. Not saying they'll do it, but I could see how/why it would make sense.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The difference is, the 2018 draft did not have a prospect available at #3 with the talent that Chase Young has.  If we trade back, we know for sure that Young won't be there.  The next team would immediately pick him.

The other big difference is the quarterbacks.  Darnold was one of a pack of similarly graded QBs in 2018.  Tua is the edge of a cliff.  Herbert is the edge of a second cliff.  That increases their trade value, and sitting at 2 with teams who need QBs at 5, 6, 7, possibly 9, 12, and 13, that gives us a lot of trade candidates to exploit the two cliffs especially since Jacksonville, Oakland, and Miami all did a ton of work to add draft picks, presumably to go get top flight quarterbacks.

This is a unique situation we find ourselves in.  The trade values of moving up for top QBs is extremely variable.  We've seen pretty modest trades like that Darnold trade, to much more costly trades like the Goff trade, to absolute swindles like the RGIII trade.  And everything in between.

If Tua can generate a bidding war, it creates an incredible opportunity for us.  Something extremely rare.  A two-step strategy that could turn us into a potential power team.  But Tua is a big if.  And we also need it to be Miami and Oakland in the bidding war for #2 so that the first trade down would still leave us in position to trade down again via Herbert.

@stevemcqueen1 but at some point you have to pick. If we traded to #5 and pass on Chase you’d damn well better add a stud at 5. Not trade down again. The draft haul for 2 to 5 would have to be pretty immense. 

I don’t think we trade down unless we somehow guarantee getting back to 3 through a 3 team trade. 

33 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

our cap will go quick if we are smart and re-sign Scherff, Allen, etc...

Maybe. But you could free up just as much space by cutting Norman and Reed. And if Richardson, Kerrigan and Trent aren’t seen as pieces for 2020 and beyond, that’s another $26-30 million in cap space. Im not worried about cap space. We start with $47 million with no cuts ... get to $67 by cutting Reed and Norman. Plenty of dough to throw around. 

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If Tua can generate a bidding war, it creates an incredible opportunity for us.  Something extremely rare.  A two-step strategy that could turn us into a potential power team.  But Tua is a big if.  And we also need it to be Miami and Oakland in the bidding war for #2 so that the first trade down would still leave us in position to trade down again via Herbert.

The potential for a Tua trade war is also there because Tua is so good. I know you think Haskins is almost the QB that Tua is and that QB's are largely made. I think Tua is extraordinarily special and will elevate a team in the same way a Deshaun Watson or Mahommes does. 

As much as I like Chase Young and think he will be our pick, if I were our new GM and my legacy was going to be tied to this choice, I would take Tua. 

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I want Chase Young so badly, but this draft is shaping up to be a "no wrong moves" type of situation.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I want Chase Young so badly, but this draft is shaping up to be a "no wrong moves" type of situation.

God help us on here when Young gets bounced for PEDs, Tua who we passed over is tearing the league up and Haskins has been benched in favour of a returning Mark Sanchez....and you say "no wrong moves" situation eh :hitfan:

I am joking of course.

18 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Best thing you can do now is hope Burrow stays healthy throughout Monday's game.  It could screw everything up if he goes down with a serious injury.

19 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

God help us on here when Young gets bounced for PEDs, Tua who we passed over is tearing the league up and Haskins has been benched in favour of a returning Mark Sanchez....and you say "no wrong moves" situation eh :hitfan:

I am joking of course.

Tua still has major health concerns. I heard on the radio today, even if he is cleared, this hip issue will lead to arthritis by the time he is 30. So you might get maybe 10 years out of him instead of 15 like other QBs. 10 years is the best possible and we haven’t even seen him running yet. 

21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Best thing you can do now is hope Burrow stays healthy throughout Monday's game.  It could screw everything up if he goes down with a serious injury.

statements like this and the one with young and PEDs are giving me the jinx willies like when an NFL game announcer says "this kicker hasn't missed anything over 30yds all season" right before a game ending winning kick from 22yds.  😂😜😫😭

Archived