Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Tua was a lot better than him. Even if Tua passes his medical, there's no way to know if he'll ever be the same player. it's one thing to go to a Dr's office and get exams and be cleared to do activities in shorts; it's something completely different to actually go out and play football (in a jump up to the NFL level at that). I'm not saying he won't be the same player he was but he already had an injury history prior to this devastating one, and taking him super high, let alone giving up a haul to move up high for him, is super super risky. Someone will take a chance on him but I think some of you are downplaying not only how bad his injury was, but how much of an injury history he had before that. 

Here's the other consideration with Tua. If he's not healthy enough to start next season or a team chooses to keep him on the sidelines for the year, let him get up to speed at his own pace. Say that team, Miami for example, stinks all year and ends up finishing last again. Would it have made more sense to draft an elite defensive player or even an OL, stink and get Trevor Lawrence? 

Any team that drafts him will 100% only do so if he's ready to start. Otherwise he ends up dropping down to Oakland or someone like that. Chargers will either sign Cam Newton or tank for Trevor.

3 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I seriously can see a Mia-Det-Was 3 way swap where we still retain Young. The NY Cheating Mara's will be left out in the cold. How great would that be

Why would Miami make that deal? If they get to 3 they are set to get their QB. They know we would take Young. The only way I could see them moving from 2 to 3 would be if Cincy picked Young. That way they could get the QB they covet most.

11 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The Rams got a bounty of players for Griff, but Griff took this team to a divisional title and playoffs in his rookie year before Ngata. I don’t think the Rams did anything with that haul and eventually relocated out of St. Louis. That’s as big of a fail as it gets. 

The Rams didn't have a quarterback.  That's the big difference between them and us.  They fleeced us, but then they themselves got fleeced when they had to move up for Goff.  Regardless, misspending their draft capital isn't an argument against the value of their capital.  It's them paying opportunity cost for not spending their picks well.  That capital's inherent value is in the opportunity it provided.  If they draft Khalil Mack instead of a bust like Greg Robinson, or any number of far better choices they could have made, this talking point is dead.  If you're betting on incompetence as a justification for picking Chase Young instead of trading down to acquire a franchise-altering haul of picks, then what are we doing here?  Why care about the fortunes of the team?  If we're incompetent then we're not going to win with Chase Young either.  You have to be able to draft well at any pick range in order to build a good team.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Why would Miami make that deal? If they get to 3 they are set to get their QB. They know we would take Young. The only way I could see them moving from 2 to 3 would be if Cincy picked Young. That way they could get the QB they covet most. 

Two is the only way they can be sure of getting Tua.  Moving up to three doesn't help them if we trade #2 to someone else.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, the Bosa's and Clowney and Mack weren't the same caliber prospect as Chase. Per PFF chase also graded higher that Von Miller and Miles Garett, although I'm not sure how highly I value those grading systems. Looking back at stats etc, I'd say Garett also wasn't the same level prospect. That makes Chase a Von Miller/Julius Peppers level prospect. Also, Chase Young is 20. So much upside. 

Chase Youngs film is the best I have seen from a pass rushing DE since Bruce Smith. Yes. He is THAT good. He checks every single box in what you are looking for at that position. P;us by all accounts he is a hard worker on top of it. I am not saying the guy is a sure fire HOF'er. But he is at that talent level coming out of college. Dont overthink this. Pick Young and lock up one of your DE spots for the next decade. 

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Two is the only way they can be sure of getting Tua.  Moving up to three doesn't help them if we trade #2 to someone else.

Them trading to 3 takes away the only trading partner I would consider moving to to lose Young. I would want Miami's 2 firsts, their second and next years 1st to even think about passing on him.

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Because they'd have to worry about some team jumping up ahead of them to get a QB.

It's not unheard of for a team to move up one pick to ensure there 3 got their guy.

Eta

MAYBE Detroit would be interested in moving up one for Tua. The cost would not be high for them. IF Tua is a franchise guy, and you can get him for the cost of a 2nd round pick, wouldn't it be smart to do so, instead of waiting a few years and trading up for Stafford's replacement?

It makes sense to me, but maybe that's the burgundy glasses. It just seems since they're there already they can transition from Stafford to Tua in a year or two for minimal cost and have 20 years of elite qb play. (Even though the rest of their roster sucks)

I think people are either forgetting or ignoring that we can easily rank at or near the top of the league in cap space with a few obvious cuts this offseason. We don’t need to load up on mid/late-first and second-round draft picks to fill holes. 

I think Rivera made it clear that this is not a rebuilding team. Nor should we be, as our QB is on a rookie deal and so is our best position group (DL). Some of these guys will be getting massive contracts soon if everything works out, and we should be trying to win within this 3 year window we have. 

The 49ers showed that you can go from #2 overall pick in the draft to #1 playoff seed in the NFC in just one offseason with the right approach. Yes, they drafted Bosa, Greenlaw, and Deebo last year, but they also acquired the following players last offseason before the 2019 draft even started:

Dee Ford (trade)
Jimmie Ward (re-signed in FA)

Kwon Alexander (FA)

Tevin Coleman (FA)

They also traded for Emmanuel Sanders during the season. 

In addition, they acquired a ton of their other significant contributors outside of the draft in previous offseasons:

Jimmy G (trade)

Richard Sherman (FA)

Raheem Mostert (FA)

Kyle Jusczcyk (FA)

Robbie Gould (FA)

Weston Richburg (FA)

K’Waun Williams (FA)

Laken Tomlinson (trade)

Ben Garland (FA)

Sheldon Day (FA)

Mike Person (FA)

The point is, they didn’t need a bunch of first and second round picks to build the team they have.  Which is smart, because so few of those picks typically become good starters historically. They’ve even drafted their share of first round busts (Solomon Thomas, Reuben Foster) the past few years. In fact, like us, most of their best recently drafted players came from outside the first and second rounds. 

-George Kittle was drafted in the 5th round

-Fred Warner was drafted in the 3rd round

-DJ Reed was drafted in the 5th round

The point is, we have more than enough resources to turn this team around. We already have a fair amount of B and C-level players. We need blue chip players, like the 49ers have, if we want a real chance to compete with the big boys.  We need players that raise the level of play for those around them just by being on the field. Players like Chase Young would help us get there much quicker than a few mid-late first and second rounders would. 

I think Bullock said it best recently in response to a comment in his excellent Chase Young article:

“I think they have a lot of resources. They pretty easily get to about $100million in cap space with a few simple cuts or somewhere around there if they decide to keep/restructure certain guys (maybe Josh Norman if Rivera wants him back, for example). They can look to target some needs there and give themselves the flexibility to draft on talent rather than need.

Let’s not forget how good Washington have been at finding contributors in the mid-late rounds lately. Terry McLaurin is a star, third round. Cole Holcomb started every game at ILB, fifth round. Kelvin Harmon came on strong at the end of the year, sixth round. Steven Sims was an undrafted free agent. With a good scouting department, solid contributors can be found throughout the draft and with good coaching they can be developed early on. Not every spot has to be filled by a first or second-round pick.” 

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No, but I also didn't think Metcalf and Butler would fall as far as they did last year.  Higgins looks like a no-brainer top 25 talent, but WR has proven tricky to project the past few years.  I do think there might be some bad groupthink about a few guys on TDN's big board.  Paulson Adebo and Terrell Lewis and Neville Gallimore are all conspicuously overrated IMO.  Higgins and Gross-Matos and Josh Jones are conspicuously underrated.  And I like Nick Adams and think he is much more than the sum of his parts, but there is just no way a 6' center-only prospect is getting drafted in the top 50.  He's more likely to go in like the fifth round than he is to go in the second.

I love Ruggs too.  I  think you might even be pessimistic about his 40.  I think he can hit the 4.2s.  He is a John Ross-like athlete at the position, although I don't think he's quite as gifted of a receiver as Ross was.  Regardless, he could be the kind of weapon that completely opens up the passing game.  He can score on a slant or shallow cross from any part of the field.

Yeah he might be in the 4.2's will see.    That's his game, taking a short pass to the house.  From what I recall Alabama played him at Z a lot.    I like Harmon but Ruggs is clearly more electric.  I know some say 3 receivers is plenty.  but personally, I think you need 4 between spread type formations and injuries.  Look at what a mess the Eagles receiver corp is right now because of injuries.  We've had that, too sometimes over the years. 

If we trade down, I'd want one of the big time receivers in this draft.   I do agree receivers tend to fall unexpectedly. 

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're splitting hairs when you get to that tier of player.  They're all DPOY type guys, and the best realistic hope for a kid like Chase Young is that he ends up being as good as a player like Mack, not that he is X percentage better because he was graded X points higher as a prospect. 

Moreover, the Watts and Aaron Donald and Chandler Jones and Danielle Hunter are all DPOY caliber players too, and they weren't top ten picks.  The NFL draft is different from the draft in other sports like the NBA.  The All Pro tier players routinely come outside the top ten, and very often outside the first round.  On this year's All Pro teams for example, the only top ten picks were Christian McCaffery, Julio Jones, Ronnie Stanley, Quentin Nelson, Jamal Adams, Stephon Gilmore, DeForest Buckner, and Luke Kuechly.  That's just eight out of the 42 non-special teams selections.  Push the cutoff to first round and you still get 21 players on the offensive and defensive All Pro teams, or exactly half the selections.  And some of those first rounders were late ones that came outside of the top 25 like TJ Watt and Lamar Jackson and DeAndre Hopkins and TreDavious White and Ryan Ramczyk and Cameron Heyward.

There is massive value to be found in picks 20-50 in every single class.  There will be guys who come from that range in this year's class (or after) who will effectively end up being as good as Chase Young or perhaps even better.  it always happens.  The trick is to find them and obtain the opportunity to draft them.

I agree that you're splitting hairs when you talk about grading Chase Young higher than, Von Miller for instance. I also think their grading system doesn't project perfectly to the NFL. I liked Josh Allen last year, but PFF had him graded SUPER high. 

Your point about being able to find talent later in the draft at all positions is valid, but less so when you're talking about edge rushers. Truly great edge rushers are also much less commonly available in their prime, in FA and via trade, and they are super expensive both from a contract and trade asset perspective. It cost the bears, what, two firsts and 100 million dollars to get Khalil Mack? It's too much. I wouldn't do that unless I was getting Drew Brees. 

If we are looking at this as a team building exercise, you are correct, that adding multiple prospects to a defense can bring up the level of play. But you have to get a lot of things right doing it that way.

I'd argue that the math behind building the Redskins' defense gets infinitely easier drafting Chase. You already have Jonathan Allen, Da'Ron Payne, Matt Ioannidis, Tim Settle, Montez Sweat, Ryan Anderson, and Jordan Brailford, who I like as a developmental guy. You add Chase young, and you have your entire front, starters and backups, and you don't have to put a second more thought into it. You can line up Sweat-Ioannidis-Allen-Young on 3rd down and just let everyone pin their ears back and reliably create pressure with just the front 4. Not only should those guys all get favorable blocking matchups, outside of Young, but by freeing us from the need to blitz, it lets us keep another guy in coverage, and also makes our blitz packages more effective, because blockers will already have their hands full. 

As much as it's true that we MIGHT be able to find another edge rusher later in the draft, it's much more true that linebackers and corners are easier to find later in the draft and MUCH easier to come by in FA. Pro bowl caliber CB's are available basically every year. In the last year alone, Marcus Peters, Minkah Ftizpatrick and Jalen Ramsey were traded and there are usually good CB's available in FA. There are tons of guys that are 5'10-6'0" can run a 4.4 and have lose hips. There just aren't very many guys that are 260 pounds and have speed and power and instincts. 

If we add Chase Young, this defense is 2 good corners, a FS and probowl LB away from being a prime Tampa Bay/Ravens type of defense. We could have added all of those other parts last year if we were close enough as a team. I don't think those pieces are that hard to come by. I'd draft chase, invest heavily in the back of the defense through FA and trade, probably in 2021, and spend draft picks every year on OL and WR and DB so that we can invest our cap dollars in Haskins, McLaurin, and the DL. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

If we add Chase Young, this defense is 2 good corners, a FS and probowl LB away from being a prime Tampa Bay/Ravens type of defense. We could have added all of those other parts last year if we were close enough as a team. I don't think those pieces are that hard to come by. I'd draft chase, invest heavily in the back of the defense through FA and trade, probably in 2021, and spend draft picks every year on OL and WR and DB so that we can invest our cap dollars in Haskins, McLaurin, and the DL.  

Those pieces are going to be hard to come by without many top 50 picks.  The quality at corner and offensive drops off big time after the first and early second rounds too.  I think it's also become clear that repeatedly throwing first round draft picks at the DL isn't working to build a dominant defense, and that the quality of our defensive line is getting undermined by a bad back seven.  You've got to build the whole thing, and Peters and Ramsey and Fitzpatrick didn't come cheap for the Steelers or Rams.

Worth pointing out that Chase Young could bust too.  I think people are taking a very high level of future success from him for granted, as well as taking it for granted that we'd use the haul from a trade down poorly.  The hypothetical we're discussing is a situation where Tua has checked out and will go #2 and command an RGIII-esque haul of picks for moving down just three or four spots.  In that situation you're adding a guy who is almost as good as Chase Young and getting a ton of extra draft value in the process.  He has the potential to help the other guys on your team just as much, as when a team can't throw a dang slant to their best receiver your pass rushers will get much better chances to get home.

But the best case scenario that I was outlining was to use Tua to make a small drop, and then use Herbert to make a second drop and come away with six extra top 50 picks in 2020 and 2021 combined.  Nine top 50 players in a two draft window is massive.  You could build a league best offensive line, and a dominant secondary and wide receiver group with just those assets.  Throw in some smart free agency money, good work in the other 200 picks of those drafts, and a good return from Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan, and you're talking about juggernaut team that is better, younger, and more balanced than those Ravens and Bucs teams were.  Something that could compete for multiple Superbowls, like the Cowboys did in the 90s after they swindled the Vikings for Herschel Walker.  It's a no-brainer situation to me.  But it can't happen unless Tua can get Miami or Oakland to fall in love with him.

1 hour ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in this 100+ page thread, but do we have a solid idea if (and where) we will be receiving compensatory picks in this (2020) draft?

Because right now, just having 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 7 is looking pretty thin...

We should have a 4th as compensation. I believe that is for Jamison Crowder. Preston Smith got nixed off by Landon Collins.

So we will pick 1, 3, 4, 4, 5, 7, 7

I would love some more picks, especially in R2-4. I think you can create that fairly easily. Round 3 pick is high 3. Usually trading that one back a bit can net you a couple later 3s. or a 3/4/5. There are ways to recoup draft picks in the mid-rounds without having to trade off #2.

The one wild card is FA. I expect we will go hard after a top CB and top TE to fill the glaring holes. But what if we decided to try and sign Yanick Ngakue? He's 26. Went to UMD. Stud 43 DE. That would throw a wrench in this entire process and open up #2 to a trade.

Options:

- Miami (#5, #18, #67 and a 2021 1st)

- San Diego (#6, 2nd, 3rd and 2021 1st)

- Oakland (#12, #18, 2nd, 3rd and 2021 1st)

- Indianapolis (#13, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2021 1st)

Those are in order of the trade I would seek and work my way down from there.

9 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Because of the fear that the Chargers or Panthers or whoever would give us a haul to jump to #2 ahead of them. 

I am not moving to the Chargers or Panthers pick to pass on Young though. Like I said earlier the only team I would think about trading with would be Miami. If they move to 3 they know they are good.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am not moving to the Chargers or Panthers pick to pass on Young though. Like I said earlier the only team I would think about trading with would be Miami. If they move to 3 they know they are good.

If the Chargers offered 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, 2020 3rd, 2021 1st, 2021 2nd, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd would you pass?  Maybe not, but Miami doesn’t know that. They’d want to make sure we don’t get blown away with an offer and trade #2. 

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Those pieces are going to be hard to come by without many top 50 picks.  The quality at corner and offensive drops off big time after the first and early second rounds too.  I think it's also become clear that repeatedly throwing first round draft picks at the DL isn't working to build a dominant defense, and that the quality of our defensive line is getting undermined by a bad back seven.  You've got to build the whole thing, and Peters and Ramsey and Fitzpatrick didn't come cheap for the Steelers or Rams.

We are probably going to be agreeing to disagree and I think there is sound logic on both sides of the argument. I will say however, that I don't magically expect Chase to transform our defense this year, and that I agree that the DL would be wasted without improving the back 7. Rookie pass rushers are often good, but aren't often dominant. I think this DL peaks in 2 years maybe and as such, we have time to be adding pieces to the back 7 and shouldn't just be signing a CB or S because we need one now. 

I'd actually grab chase, maybe use some mid to later round picks on LB or secondary, but only if they are roughly BPA, and make my immediate plan to develop Haskins. I'd initially be mostly signing and drafting players to protect him and give him weapons. I think, with our DL plus Chase, and McLaurin, that if Haskins develops, we will have a good team, and if he doesn't, we won't. 

I'd sign Conklin, resign Trent, and sign and draft TE's and WR's before I'd go all in on defense. Finish out the defensive build once the offense is a little better developed. 

I'll also say that part of the problem with our defense has been our offense. We never put teams in a position that they need to pass to win. They always have every offensive option at their hands and in most games, our defense has gotten little rest and is on the field a lot. 

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think staying would be a mistake for Najee. Running backs have such short careers. I'd get in the league and make my money and try to get to a second contract more quickly. Running backs with NFL futures need to be making business decisions. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree that you're splitting hairs when you talk about grading Chase Young higher than, Von Miller for instance. I also think their grading system doesn't project perfectly to the NFL. I liked Josh Allen last year, but PFF had him graded SUPER high. 

I mean, to be fair, Josh Allen gets none of the hype Nick Bosa does, but he put up a very good season for a rookie. 

Josh Allen Stats on 634 Snaps:

Sacks - 10.5

TFL’s - 11

QB Hits - 22

Tackles - 44

Forced Fumbles - 2

Nick Bosa Stats on 780 Snaps:

Sacks - 9.0

TFL’s - 16

QB Hits - 25

Tackles - 47

Forced Fumbles - 1

Allen was even double-teamed more on his pass rushes, though Bosa had the higher win rate. 

Bosa was the much better run defender though. 

10 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Because of the fear that the Chargers or Panthers or whoever would give us a haul to jump to #2 ahead of them. 

I agree with this and I personally would love the Chargers to be our trade partner.According to Ron we are in win now mode so I believe we would want proven player and a pick.I would take Bosa and a first from them or I would stay at two and pick Chase.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Worth pointing out that Chase Young could bust too.  I think people are taking a very high level of future success from him for granted, as well as taking it for granted that we'd use the haul from a trade down poorly.  The hypothetical we're discussing is a situation where Tua has checked out and will go #2 and command an RGIII-esque haul of picks for moving down just three or four spots.  In that situation you're adding a guy who is almost as good as Chase Young and getting a ton of extra draft value in the process.  He has the potential to help the other guys on your team just as much, as when a team can't throw a dang slant to their best receiver your pass rushers will get much better chances to get home.

But the best case scenario that I was outlining was to use Tua to make a small drop, and then use Herbert to make a second drop and come away with six extra top 50 picks in 2020 and 2021 combined.  Nine top 50 players in a two draft window is massive.  You could build a league best offensive line, and a dominant secondary and wide receiver group with just those assets.  Throw in some smart free agency money, good work in the other 200 picks of those drafts, and a good return from Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan, and you're talking about juggernaut team that is better, younger, and more balanced than those Ravens and Bucs teams were.  Something that could compete for multiple Superbowls, like the Cowboys did in the 90s after they swindled the Vikings for Herschel Walker.  It's a no-brainer situation to me.  But it can't happen unless Tua can get Miami or Oakland to fall in love with him.

Right...so you say people are taking it for granted  the bust factor/success chance on chase but you wanna highlight the best case scenario of trading down multiple times yet not highlight the fact that the trade down could all be busts especially being lesser talented creates a bigger disparity. Was the trade down from jj watt to ryan kerrigan and who was it..leonard hankerson? That we used? I don't remember. But was that worth it? The Last 4 big name pass rushers in the draft were both bosas, garrett, bon miller. 5 if u wanna include josh allen. Not one of them have busted.  Yes you have a chance to get more players but how long and how many receivers have we drafted before we hit on one? Hell. We actually hit on one that could be an all pro with 2 more being good. How many safeties...corners...etc etc. At some point man u just gotta stop trying to accrue More players and get the top rated player. 

40 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Again I would not risk handing the Giants Chase Young in a trade situation with the Dolphins.

I would stay put.....trade Kerrigan for a 3rd, we get the 4th round comp pick for Crowder, and if Trent doesn't come back then we are looking at another first round pick we could use as trade bait.  But #2 is Chase Young all the way

6 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Right...so you say people are taking it for granted  the bust factor/success chance on chase but you wanna highlight the best case scenario of trading down multiple times yet not highlight the fact that the trade down could all be busts especially being lesser talented creates a bigger disparity. Was the trade down from jj watt to ryan kerrigan and who was it..leonard hankerson? That we used? I don't remember. But was that worth it? The Last 4 big name pass rushers in the draft were both bosas, garrett, bon miller. 5 if u wanna include josh allen. Not one of them have busted.  Yes you have a chance to get more players but how long and how many receivers have we drafted before we hit on one? Hell. We actually hit on one that could be an all pro with 2 more being good. How many safeties...corners...etc etc. At some point man u just gotta stop trying to accrue More players and get the top rated player. 

Absolutely right 757.....this guy is going to be a rock for us for a decade.  I think Chase Young can be like a Trent Williams for us.  The way we draft, we can find average to above average players in the draft, but you don't get a shot at an elite guy like Chase Young unless you are picking in the top 5.  I don't see us getting many shots like this under Rivera again.

Would really like to snag Antonio Gandy-Golden from Liberty in the third round. 6'4, 220. See how he does at the combine but tons of production at a smaller school and could certainly break out after a developmental rookie season adjusting to the NFL. 

I love Scary Terry and S. Sims is explosive. Harmon looks like he may be decent, but Gandy-Golden looks like the type of guy with #1 WR upside if it comes together (big if) which is the perfect type of guy to take in the third round. Some of the preliminary draft projections have him going around the third round, potentially second depending on how he works out.

https://www.liberty.edu/champion/2019/12/antonio-gandy-golden-flames-wide-receiver-looks-ahead-nfl-prospects-future/

8 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

^^^ This ^^^

A million times this.

This franchise needs an elite player on the defensive side that opposing teams need to gameplan for.  Young has the most potential to be that guy in this draft.  Skins haven't had a guy like that on defense since Sean Taylor.

Drafting Young is the true "no-brainer" here.

21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, to be fair, Josh Allen gets none of the hype Nick Bosa does, but he put up a very good season for a rookie. 

Josh Allen Stats on 634 Snaps:

Sacks - 10.5

TFL’s - 11

QB Hits - 22

Tackles - 44

Forced Fumbles - 2

Nick Bosa Stats on 780 Snaps:

Sacks - 9.0

TFL’s - 16

QB Hits - 25

Tackles - 47

Forced Fumbles - 

Bosa was the much better run defender though. 

Josh Allen has gotten a good degree of hype. But agree Bosa has gotten more.   Some talk about Chase being better than both dudes -- and I think it could very well turn out that way.   But I'd be more than satisfied if Chase's floor is Allen-Bosa. 

Archived