Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

We saw how much good having one of the best corners in the NFL did for us this year.  It's a platoon position.  We need two more corners who are good and we need another good safety.  It's going to take more than one offseason to fix the secondary IMO.  San Francisco's near miraculous turnaround from worst pass defense in the league to near the top in a single offseason isn't going to be something we can replicate.  It wasn't just down to getting Bosa and Dee Ford.  They had a bunch of guys in development in their secondary that busted out this season.  Jimmie Ward and Richard Sherman are the leaders and the most spectacular examples of the turnaround, but Emmanuel Mosely and K'Waun Williams were all really good too.  Both got a 70 or better from PFF for the season.  DJ Reed got upper 70s in limited snaps and looks like he'll be a good one in their pipeline.  And Jaquiski Tartt, Marcell Harris, Tarvarius Moore, and Akhello Witherspoon all played pretty well in a healthy number of snaps, grading in the 60's.  Not a single member of the regular DB rotation graded in the 50's.  That's four safeties and three corners who were good to great plus another corner in Witherspoon who was no worse than average plus another corner in the pipeline who looks good.  Nine good DBs.  We're obviously a long way from that.  But figure we can get two to there more good DBs this offseason if we spend some free agency money and maneuver around in the draft to add picks and get lucky.

Xavier McKinney would be perfect for us.  I disagree that he's a pure FS SIP.  I think he's best used as a thumping nickel corner and slot defender who can drop into deep zones too.  I would want to utilize him as a pass rusher and I would love to have the run support that he could offer us from a position that is closer to the LoS.

I'm hoping that he measures really small at the combine and drops as a result of that.  Otherwise I think he's a borderline first rounder, or more likely a second rounder.

This will be a multi-year effort.  I've already started scoping out guys for 2021 and gotten excited about some guys like Jevon Holland from Oregon.  Between stars like him and Thibedeaux and the two super blue chip linebacker recruits they got, that defense is going to be absolutely filthy the next year.  Especially if they can get Lenoir and Graham to come back.

A lot of interesting DB talent being showcased in the NC game too.  I'm going to be focusing on Vincent Kary and K'Von Wallace in particular, as they are the kind of hybrid DB we need who might actually be available when we pick on Day 2 and Day 3.

DK Metcalf falling all of the way to the last pick of the second round was so damn asinine.  It was a case of the entire draft world outsmarting themselves.  There was no reason on God's Green Earth to justify to justify that kind of fall, he was a no-brainer early first round pick.  Let it be the latest lesson to never let a bunch of stupid drill times blind you to the obvious.  Honestly, we would all do a way better job of evaluating and projecting this kids if we utterly ignore everything that happens after the measurements at the combine.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We saw how much good having one of the best corners in the NFL did for us this year.  It's a platoon position.  We need two more corners who are good and we need another good safety.  It's going to take more than one offseason to fix the secondary IMO.  San Francisco's near miraculous turnaround from worst pass defense in the league to near the top in a single offseason isn't going to be something we can replicate.  It wasn't just down to getting Bosa and Dee Ford.  They had a bunch of guys in development in their secondary that busted out this season.  Jimmie Ward and Richard Sherman are the leaders and the most spectacular examples of the turnaround, but Emmanuel Mosely and K'Waun Williams were all really good too.  Both got a 70 or better from PFF for the season.  DJ Reed got upper 70s in limited snaps and looks like he'll be a good one in their pipeline.  And Jaquiski Tartt, Marcell Harris, Tarvarius Moore, and Akhello Witherspoon all played pretty well in a healthy number of snaps, grading in the 60's.  Not a single member of the regular DB rotation graded in the 50's.  That's four safeties and three corners who were good to great plus another corner in Witherspoon who was no worse than average plus another corner in the pipeline who looks good.  Nine good DBs.  We're obviously a long way from that.  But figure we can get two to there more good DBs this offseason if we spend some free agency money and maneuver around in the draft to add picks and get lucky.

Xavier McKinney would be perfect for us.  I disagree that he's a pure FS SIP.  I think he's best used as a thumping nickel corner and slot defender who can drop into deep zones too.  I would want to utilize him as a pass rusher and I would love to have the run support that he could offer us from a position that is closer to the LoS.

I'm hoping that he measures really small at the combine and drops as a result of that.  Otherwise I think he's a borderline first rounder, or more likely a second rounder.

This will be a multi-year effort.  I've already started scoping out guys for 2021 and gotten excited about some guys like Jevon Holland from Oregon.  Between stars like him and Thibedeaux and the two super blue chip linebacker recruits they got, that defense is going to be absolutely filthy the next year.  Especially if they can get Lenoir and Graham to come back.

A lot of interesting DB talent being showcased in the NC game too.  I'm going to be focusing on Vincent Kary and K'Von Wallace in particular, as they are the kind of hybrid DB we need who might actually be available when we pick on Day 2 and Day 3.

The 49ers not only have a deep set of corners, but each of them brings a different skill set to the table, which means they can match up to almost any WR corps, and they can dedicate more cap space to their front 7. At some point soon the bill for all those first round picks on the Dline is going to show up, so what you're suggesting here will be vital to sustaining a high level defense. IMO Jimmy Moreland would be best used as a slot/SS hybrid type the way Atlanta uses Ricardo Allen and Kazee, and Amik Robertson from La. Tech (underrated DB producing school) would be an ideal pure slot that should be available in rounds 3-4. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

DK Metcalf falling all of the way to the last pick of the second round was so damn asinine.  It was a case of the entire draft world outsmarting themselves.  There was no reason on God's Green Earth to justify to justify that kind of fall, he was a no-brainer early first round pick.  Let it be the latest lesson to never let a bunch of stupid drill times blind you to the obvious.  Honestly, we would all do a way better job of evaluating and projecting this kids if we utterly ignore everything that happens after the measurements at the combine.

His drill times in the 3cone and SS were bad, then he had his proday and those numbers improved to around average.  Average for his size and all of the other insane drill numbers he ran looks pretty damn good. Buy there were people saying "he can't turn and run at the same time".  Which didn't make sense.  Put on the tape and see if he can run a slant...oh wait, he could, with separation.

I think part of the reason for the fall was medical worries.  But to end of Round 2 is just weird.

I liken it to the Guice thing.  He fell to the end of the 2nd when some clearly less talented RB's went way ahead of him.  In no way did Ronald Jones have tape that showed him as a borderline 1st rounder.

Now if Guice can stay healthy... he'll prove us right.

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

The 49ers not only have a deep set of corners, but each of them brings a different skill set to the table, which means they can match up to almost any WR corps, and they can dedicate more cap space to their front 7. At some point soon the bill for all those first round picks on the Dline is going to show up, so what you're suggesting here will be vital to sustaining a high level defense. IMO Jimmy Moreland would be best used as a slot/SS hybrid type the way Atlanta uses Ricardo Allen and Kazee, and Amik Robertson from La. Tech (underrated DB producing school) would be an ideal pure slot that should be available in rounds 3-4.  

I saw that he graded super highly on PFF this year and made their All America team.  I'm going to check him out next, along with the Wyoming Linebacker that they picked for the team too.

I wouldn't mind seeing Moreland fit into that kind of role.  Better tackler than expected.  Can definitely see him running alleys with physicality.  Anything that keeps him in zone coverage seems smart.  I like Apke as a rotation safety too and as a slot defender who can play man against speed.

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it indicates Tua might stay. If so the interesting part of it is I think the only off chance you get a haul for the #2 pick is if lets say SD and Miami both want Tua and decide to get into a bidding war.  But without Tua out, I don't see serious takers for the #2 pick. Herbert to me is too much of a wild card to trade up for that high.  That's all fine with me I am perfectly content with taking Chase at #2.

Alex Leatherwood, his LT also announced he’s returning to Bama. He was a projected day 2 pick. I’m definitely in the camp of Tua returning unless they all really have faith in Jones.

9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

His drill times in the 3cone and SS were bad, then he had his proday and those numbers improved to around average.  Average for his size and all of the other insane drill numbers he ran looks pretty damn good. Buy there were people saying "he can't turn and run at the same time".  Which didn't make sense.  Put on the tape and see if he can run a slant...oh wait, he could, with separation. 

I think part of the reason for the fall was medical worries.  But to end of Round 2 is just weird. 

I liken it to the Guice thing.  He fell to the end of the 2nd when some clearly less talented RB's went way ahead of him.  In no way did Ronald Jones have tape that showed him as a borderline 1st rounder. 

Now if Guice can stay healthy... he'll prove us right. 

Rashaad Penny too.  Such an awful draft pick.  Poll 100 draftniks sitting on their couches and 100 of them would not have taken Penny over Michel, Guice, and Chubb.  NFL teams can be astonishingly stupid in the draft from time to time.  The Seahawks have been god awful with their first round picks for most of the past ten years, and I think it's ultimately held them back from winning multiple championships during this golden age for their franchise, but their draft in 2019 makes a lot more sense if you swap Metcalf and Collier in position.

The value of the information gleaned from combine and proday athletic testing drills is negligible.  The combine has been made into such a freaking event for NFL die hard fans that it's now a performance.  A performances whose significance is vastly overstated, and I think that hype bleeds into the thinking of the football people who work in the league and work on the networks.  Creates bad groupthink.  If I wanted to improve the level of evaluation for the league across the board, I would just have the players get measured and the defensive backs run the 40 and then everyone moves on to position drills, medical evals, and interviews.  That wouldn't be capitalizing on a potential spectacle though.  So the event will continue to be a melodramatic distraction, and the best drafting teams will be the ones who are, in part, the best at filtering out the noise of the draft season red herrings like the combine.

Interesting, like I said I like Bryant but a first rounder seems a bit too much.  To me he's not big enough to be a first round TE -- and while he's a good receiver IMO he's not as dynamic as a Jordan Reed or Engram.    I can see him being perhaps a good pick in the third but the first to me is a reach.  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting, like I said I like Bryant but a first rounder seems a bit too much.  To me he's not big enough to be a first round TE -- and while he's a good receiver IMO he's not as dynamic as a Jordan Reed or Engram.    I can see him being perhaps a good pick in the third but the first to me is a reach.  

Harrison Bryant is where the money’s at. 

Prior to free agency, we know the Bengals and Dolphins are looking to draft a quarterback in the first round. The Chargers have been rumored to be interested in taking a quarterback in the first round, too. Colts general manager Chris Ballard said the "jury is still out" on Jacoby Brissett, meaning they could be looking to take a QB early on as well.

Jon Gruden has never been Derek Carr's biggest fan in Oakland and could be looking to make a splashy pick in the first round as the franchise moves to Las Vegas. If the Buccaneers choose not to pay Jameis Winston, they'll be in the quarterback market, too. Depending on the status of Tom Brady, New England could quietly enter the mix.

Cincinnati is widely expected to take LSU's Joe Burrow No. 1 overall. But for any other team to guarantee the quarterback of their choice, the Redskins are the team to call. If Tagovailoa declares, he'll have several suitors for his services.

The Dolphins are the first team that comes to mind. But based on the draft order, the Dolphins may not have to trade out of their draft spot in order to get Tagovailoa. Besides the Bengals, it's unlikely the three teams in front of Miami -- Washington, Detroit, and New York Giants -- will take a QB. The Redskins have Haskins, the Giants have Daniel Jones, and the Lions still have Matt Stafford under contract for three more seasons.

The Chargers are interested in Tagovailoa, according to Bleacher Report's Matt Miller. This is where things get interesting for the Redskins. As it stands now, Los Angeles has the No. 6 overall selection. In order to take Tagovailoa, they'd likely have to jump Miami at No. 5. The Redskins would be the perfect trade partner to do so.

Washington does not have any second-round selections, as they traded theirs to the Colts last April in order to move back into the first round to select Montez Sweat. Could the No. 6 overall pick this year, the Chargers 2020 second-round pick (No. 37 overall), and a future first-round pick be enough for Washington to give up the No. 2 pick? We'll see, but it's worth the hypothetical. 

Another team to watch here is Oakland. A year ago, it was widely known across the league that Jon Gruden wanted Kyler Murray, who the Cardinals selected No. 1 overall in 2019. In this year's class, Tagovailoa is the QB prospect closest to Murray and is regarded as the better of the two coming out of school by many draft experts. Oakland has two first-round picks at No. 8 and No. 19. Should Gruden offer up both of those for the No. 2, Washington could be intrigued. 

If Tagovailoa decides to stay at Alabama, what was once considered a strong quarterback class suddenly becomes thinner. Besides Burrow and maybe Oregon's Justin Herbert, no quarterback in the draft has a ceiling as high as Tagovailoa's.

Almost every year, teams get desperate and trade up for a quarterback. Would teams get desperate for Herbert? What about Utah State's Jordan Love? Washington's Jacob Eason?

Of course, the Redskins could always stay put at No. 2 and select Ohio State edge rusher Chase Young, who's considered one of the best pass rushers in years. Heck, even Haskins and Derrius Guice voiced their support for the Redskins to take Young.

The bottom line is the No. 2 overall pick is an extremely valuable asset. The chances of Washington selecting a high-impact player at that position is high. But trading the pick could bring in several more assets and picks, and the Redskins have a significant amount of holes to fill. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/how-does-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoas-draft-decision-impact-redskins

Would have been nice if the Dolphins had the 3rd pick instead of the 5th.  Could have traded down and still guaranteed ourselves Young. 

As it is now, I wouldn't trade back unless Miami offered an even greater haul than the RGIII trade, considering who we'd be passing on.

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Would have been nice if the Dolphins had the 3rd pick instead of the 5th.  Could have traded down and still guaranteed ourselves Young. 

As it is now, I wouldn't trade back unless Miami offered an even greater haul than the RGIII trade, considering who we'd be passing on.

Thinking about this more... I guess a team could do something similar to what Philly did to get Wentz.  A team that wants Tua could trade up to #3 with the Lions, then trade up to #2 with us to ensure they get their guy.  Miami does have that kind of draft compensation at their disposal.  I guess it will depend on how much they fear other teams trading up for Tua.

Sorry, I am still taking Chase Young over moving back in the first round, a 2nd round pick, and a 1st next year. If you look at the breakdown of the haul the Rams got from the Skins for RG3, you will see all the players are either on other teams or not in the league anymore. Sorry not worth it. All in on Young!

The only partner that would make sense to me is Miami, I'd want their first two #1 picks, their 2nd, and a first or 2nd next year so sort of an RG3 type haul.  I don't know if Miami would do it though.  I wouldn't give that much up in their shoes.  But if they love Tua as much as was purported early last season then you never know. 

It all obviously depends on whether SD, the Raiders, etc are willing to be aggressive.

One thing it guarantees is we are going to be hearing chatter like this now for months.  

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Thinking about this more... I guess a team could do something similar to what Philly did to get Wentz.  A team that wants Tua could trade up to #3 with the Lions, then trade up to #2 with us to ensure they get their guy.  Miami does have that kind of draft compensation at their disposal.  I guess it will depend on how much they fear other teams trading up for Tua.

Would be a nice scenario, but pretty far fetched unfortunately.

Someone will have to trade up to #2 and we fall out of the top 5, or we just stay put and select Young.

I'd love to have him and more draft picks, but there's no realistic way to do that.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The only partner that would make sense to me is Miami, I'd want their first two #1 picks, their 2nd, and a first or 2nd next year so sort of an RG3 type haul.  I don't know if Miami would do it though.  I wouldn't give that much up in their shoes.  But if they love Tua as much as was purported early last season then you never know. 

It all obviously depends on whether SD, the Raiders, etc are willing to be aggressive.

One thing it guarantees is we are going to be hearing chatter like this now for months.  

Heck, if we want to trade down, then do the following:

Trade #2 to Detroit for #3+#35+Detroit 2021 3rd (Detroit takes Young)

Trade #3 to Miami for #5+#18+#56 (Miami takes Tua)

Would #18+#35+#56+2021 Detroit 3rd be enough to pass on Chase Young and take Ogedah or Simmons?

7 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Someone will have to trade up to #2 and we fall out of the top 5, or we just stay put and select Young.

I'd love to have him and more draft picks, but there's no realistic way to do that.

Yeah, it's very unlikely.  Still possible though.  I think it depends on three things:

1. Tua's medicals check out.

2. Miami and another team are in love with Tua.

3. Neither team wants to risk us trading back from pick #2 and the other team landing Tua.

We could make it clear that we'll only move down if we can still draft at #3, and it will go from there.  Again, very very unlikely to happen.

Holy ****.

Tua declaring and getting healthy is a game changer.  If teams are willing to move up to #2 to get him, that significantly changes the value of our pick.

Move down to six and figure the draft order goes something like this:

1 - Bengals - Burrow

2 - Chargers - Tua

3 - Lions - Young

4 - Giants - Thomas

5 - Miami - Herbert?

6 - Redskins - Okudah, Jeudy, Lamb, and Simmons are probably all on the board.

That's actually pretty awesome for us.  Even better would be if Miami takes a non QB at five and we can use #6 to trade down again for a team trying to get in front of Carolina to take Herbert.

We could potentially leverage these two QBs to come away with a massive haul.  Like three or four extra top 50 picks in 2020/2021 and still come away with a tier 2 player like Simmons or Lamb.

The best scenario of all is for Miami and San Diego to get into a huge bidding war for Tua.  That is how we come away with an RGIII type haul in one small trade down.  imagine if it's Miami who pay the haul and we get something like #5, #18, #39, and their 2021 first...

We move to #5 and Herbert is the only first round QB left and we completely cut the legs out from under the Giants in their ability to trade down.  They're left without Chase Young and have to pick one of Thomas, Jeudy, or Okudah.  Whatever.  San Diego, Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Indianapolis all come calling us about #5 to get Herbert.  Maybe even New England too.  We've already got a ton of extra picks from the Tua trade down to barter with, so we can make virtually any trade work.  Let's say Indy has to pay though the nose to jump from #13 up to #5.  They have to give us back 34 plus 44 and their 2021 first. 

Our total haul would be adding something like #18, #34, #39, #44 and two 2021 firsts just to move down from #2 to #13.  Six extra top 50 picks within the next two drafts, Nine picks in total when you count our own.  That is franchise altering.  We could build a juggernaut with that kind of ammo.

12 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Also, proof that something similar has been done before:

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles have completed their journey to the No. 2 pick in the 2016 NFL draft.

The Eagles acquired the Cleveland Browns' pick Thursday with a blockbuster trade. To make this deal, the Eagles used draft picks acquired in two previous trades. Executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman said the team had been trying to move up ever since January.

Roseman acknowledged Wednesday that the Eagles intended to take a quarterback with the No. 2 pick. The Los Angeles Rams already acquired the top overall pick from Tennessee for a slew of picks and have indicated they will take a quarterback. The Eagles will likely take either Cal's Jared Goff or North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, whichever is not taken by the Rams.

It is the fourth time the top two selections in the draft have been dealt.

"You have to be very comfortable with both of those quarterbacks and believe they have a shot to be great, Pro Bowl-caliber," Roseman said. "It's hard to be great if you don't take some risks."

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said of Wentz and Goff: "These guys are pretty even. From all the physical tools, both of them are extremely gifted. Good arm strength, good mobility. Obviously, Carson is a little bigger, maybe a little better athlete right now. There's not much separating those two."

The Eagles sent five draft picks to the Browns: the No. 8 pick in the first round, a third-round pick (77th overall) and a fourth-round pick (100th overall) in this year's draft, a first-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018. Cleveland also sends a fourth-round pick in 2017 to the Eagles.

Roseman acquired the No. 8 pick from Miami in exchange for cornerback Byron Maxwell and linebacker Kiko Alonso. He obtained the 100th pick, the second selection in the fourth round, from Tennessee in exchange for running back DeMarco Murray.

The Eagles had also talked to the Chargers about swapping their No. 8 pick for San Diego's No. 3, sources told Schefter. The Eagles thought they could get a quarterback there and pay a lower price, but Philadelphia's concern always was that another team looking for a quarterback would leapfrog it to No. 2, sources said.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Holy ****.

Tua declaring and getting healthy is a game changer.  If teams are willing to move up to #2 to get him, that significantly changes the value of our pick.

Move down to six and figure the draft order goes something like this:

1 - Bengals - Burrow

2 - Chargers - Tua

3 - Lions - Young

4 - Giants - Thomas

5 - Miami - Herbert?

6 - Redskins - Okudah, Jeudy, Lamb, and Simmons are probably all on the board.

That's actually pretty awesome for us.  Even better would be if Miami takes a non QB at five and we can use #6 to trade down again for a team trying to get in front of Carolina to take Herbert.

We could potentially leverage these two QBs to come away with a massive haul.  Like three or four extra top 50 picks in 2020/2021 and still come away with a tier 2 player like Simmons or Lamb.

The best scenario of all is for Miami and San Diego to get into a huge bidding war for Tua.  That is how we come away with an RGIII type haul in one small trade down.  imagine if it's Miami who pay the haul and we get something like #5, #18, #39, and their 2021 first...

We move to #5 and Herbert is the only first round QB left and we completely cut the legs out from under the Giants in their ability to trade down.  They're left without Chase Young and have to pick one of Thomas, Jeudy, or Okudah.  Whatever.  San Diego, Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Indianapolis all come calling us about #5 to get Herbert.  Maybe even New England too.  We've already got a ton of extra picks from the Tua trade down to barter with, so we can make virtually any trade work.  Let's say Indy has to pay though the nose to jump from #13 up to #5.  They have to give us back 34 plus 44 and their 2021 first. 

Our total haul would be adding something like #18, #34, #39, #44 and two 2021 firsts just to move down from #2 to #13.  Six extra top 50 picks within the next two drafts, Nine picks in total when you count our own.  That is franchise altering.  We could build a juggernaut with that kind of ammo.

Interesting scenario. I don't know how much of a bidding war they'd be willing to get into for a guy with the kind of injury he had, but let's say they do. I'd trade down to 5 with Miami then trade back up to #3 with Detroit. It would cost dearly but we'd still come out ahead. But I doubt Miami is willing to give up that kind of capital to move up, considering how they jettisoned everyone who was worth anything.. maybe it was to have extra picks for a qb, but if that was the case they could have just continued sucking and done that.

Indy is an interesting angle, they have extra picks thanks to us.. if they traded after Miami, with that many top 50 picks you could set yourself up for a decade trading the extra one back for another the next year, again and again.

But realistically, we probably stand pat at #2 and get offered no haul worthy of trading down. The 2nd pick is gone, there's no recovering that and getting chase unfortunately.

Trading trent isn't a viable option, I doubt many teams are going to be willing to give up a 2nd for an injured over 30 vet this close to the draft.

so we're looking at 1, 3, 4, 4 (comp for Crowder), 5, 7, 7.

Say you trade that early 3rd for a later 3rd and a 4th.

Then you're looking at 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 7, 7. Possibly end up trading one of those 4ths for another 5th and 6th, or package them up to move back into the 3rd.

Still would have 7 picks to address some needs/projects, which wouldn't be too awful, considering you added a ridiculous blue chip talent at the top of the draft.

What if you can come away with talents like a Crowder, a Breeland, a Martin/Moses type with several of those picks. That would be pretty successful draft on top of young.

49 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

6 and the second and the 2021 first gets me to listen.  But I don't know if I pull the trigger on that.

And give chase young to the giants possibly? The thing you gotta ask is this...what Chicago gave up for mack is moreso the value of a legit dpoy. So still needing to have one...you would give the possibility of having one up for other crap shoots that are lesser talented? Von Miller in his rookie year had 11.5 sacks under del rio and then 18.5...30 sacks in 2 years is unheard of for redskins. You take young without a shadow of doubt and figure out the rest later.

Archived